Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Sale

• Anno 2070 on Steam. Save 50%.
  • Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity on Steam. Save 50%.
  • Ubisoft Catalog on Steam. Save 33%.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: On Sale May 21, 2012, 20:19 Prez

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:42:
Luke wrote on May 21, 2012, 08:42:
haha so when it hits 5-10$ it is ok with the drm , come on either you say jay or you say nay to that shitty drm. show some backbone here
That is showing backbone, it's showing what you feel the product is actually worth.

Agreed. 5 bucks is a Big Mac meal. It certainly isn't going to be counted as a vote for the DRM by the publisher. Not to mention that the DRM has a workaround thanks to 'the scene'.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: On Sale May 21, 2012, 18:42 Mashiki Amiketo

Luke wrote on May 21, 2012, 08:42:
haha so when it hits 5-10$ it is ok with the drm , come on either you say jay or you say nay to that shitty drm. show some backbone here
That is showing backbone, it's showing what you feel the product is actually worth.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: On Sale May 21, 2012, 08:42 Luke

Cutter wrote on May 20, 2012, 22:15:
Yeah, I srill want Anno but with the DRM I'l be waiting till it hits $5 or $10.

10. Re: On Sale May 21, 2012, 03:55 Cornholio

The 'Ultra Deluxe Game Of The Year Edition: Anno 2070' will be the one I also pick up... been wanting this game but keep saying no to the stupid DRM.  

9. Re: On Sale May 20, 2012, 23:50 Mashiki Amiketo

I think I'll wait for the ultra-deluxe version of anno 2070 before I pick it up, that way I can skip buying all the DLC.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

8. Re: On Sale May 20, 2012, 23:16 Prez

Jerykk wrote on May 20, 2012, 22:37:
Prez wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:06:
Buyer beware on Annoy 2070: unrevocable activations (only 3) and changing out a video card or adding memory requires re-activation.

I would have bought it myself if it were not for that. With DRM like that it's barely worth 5 bucks.

Doesn't the game require uPlay like every other Ubisoft game? I figured they would just link the serial number to your account and force you to log in when installing.

Steam is generally pretty good about listing the DRM in the info window on the right pane of the game's store page. Usually, if a Ubisoft game requires Uplay (a.k.a. "Ubisoft Online Service Platform") it is listed, as well as the constant Internet connection required. Anno's page only lists Tages.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: On Sale May 20, 2012, 22:37 Jerykk

Buyer beware on Annoy 2070: unrevocable activations (only 3) and changing out a video card or adding memory requires re-activation.

I would have bought it myself if it were not for that. With DRM like that it's barely worth 5 bucks.

Doesn't the game require uPlay like every other Ubisoft game? I figured they would just link the serial number to your account and force you to log in when installing.

6. Re: On Sale May 20, 2012, 22:15 Cutter

Yeah, I srill want Anno but with the DRM I'l be waiting till it hits $5 or $10.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: On Sale May 20, 2012, 21:19 ASeven

Dmitri_M wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:54:
but from what I've read they ask for a scanned barcode and proof of purchase. Which is less than Adobe asks for when I run out of activations for Photoshop. Adobe simply takes my word for it, and this is over online IM support. About as impersonal as it gets. Photoshop also costs about 10x what Anno costs.

Gamer: Hello, Ubisoft? Can I have an activation? I've used them by changing motherboards and RAM and CPU
Ubisoft: Certainly, we need the proof of purchase and the barcode scanned.
Gamer: But--but I bought it on Steam...
Ubisoft: What, no bardcode?? FILTHY PIRATE! NO MORE ANNO FOR YOU!

4. Re: On Sale May 20, 2012, 21:13 killer_roach

Dmitri_M wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:54:

Just for the record Bluebyte patched the DRM to prevent video card\RAM changes consuming an activation. The activations reset after 30 days and apparently they'll give you a new activation if you contact UBI directly, but from what I've read they ask for a scanned barcode and proof of purchase. Which is less than Adobe asks for when I run out of activations for Photoshop. Adobe simply takes my word for it, and this is over online IM support. About as impersonal as it gets. Photoshop also costs about 10x what Anno costs.

Scanned barcode... for a game bought on Steam...

...yeah, I'd be screwed if I bought that game.

(That being said, the resetting of activations, if true, is very nice.)

3. Re: On Sale May 20, 2012, 20:54 Dmitri_M

Just for the record Bluebyte patched the DRM to prevent video card\RAM changes consuming an activation. The activations reset after 30 days and apparently they'll give you a new activation if you contact UBI directly, but from what I've read they ask for a scanned barcode and proof of purchase. Which is less than Adobe asks for when I run out of activations for Photoshop. Adobe simply takes my word for it, and this is over online IM support. About as impersonal as it gets. Photoshop also costs about 10x what Anno costs.

2. Re: On Sale May 20, 2012, 20:23 Caladell

Yep, that's the only reason I haven't gotten it, even for a price like that. Shame, really, cause I enjoyed the demo. Regardless, I'll wait for a cheaper price, or at least a change to the DRM (which I doubt will ever happen)  

1. Re: On Sale May 20, 2012, 20:06 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo