Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Metaverse

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 22, 2012, 02:43 Ant

zirik wrote on May 22, 2012, 02:25:
Ant wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:32:
I am east of L.A. I can't even get DSL (20+K ft.). I read Verizon stopped deploying. I guess they finally resumed again. Where are they deploying now?

they just finished large areas of long beach and nearby cities. my brother said verizon FIOS sales reps were knocking on doors last week offering intro prices for triple play at $89 with a two year contract plus a $200 gift card. thats a better deal than i was offered here on the east coast. and i never got the $50 gift card promised by the sales lady. after FIOS was installed i could never get a hold of her and she never returned my calls regarding the gift card.
But those are big/main/popular cities. Mine isn't. I live on giant hills with few houses.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 22, 2012, 02:25 zirik

Ant wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:32:
I am east of L.A. I can't even get DSL (20+K ft.). I read Verizon stopped deploying. I guess they finally resumed again. Where are they deploying now?

they just finished large areas of long beach and nearby cities. my brother said verizon FIOS sales reps were knocking on doors last week offering intro prices for triple play at $89 with a two year contract plus a $200 gift card. thats a better deal than i was offered here on the east coast. and i never got the $50 gift card promised by the sales lady. after FIOS was installed i could never get a hold of her and she never returned my calls regarding the gift card.

14. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 21, 2012, 20:32 Ant

zirik wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:26:
Ant wrote on May 21, 2012, 03:54:
NKD wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:40:
AnointedSword wrote on May 20, 2012, 18:59:
How about get it to everyone before you start upgrading!

Verizon stopped rolling out new FIOS locations almost 2 years ago AFAIK.
Which pisses me off because they are in my cities that I want to get in my neighborhoods. Argh!

theyre not stopping expansion on the west coast. verizon just finished laying down fiber in a few cities around los angeles. where you at?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 21, 2012, 19:49 Sepharo

zirik wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:20:
Sepharo wrote on May 21, 2012, 00:42:
$80 a month for what just tested as 35/6 from Comcast

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1962715989.png

is that just internet or with basic tv? i had comcast internet with basic tv for $89 last year. after the intro offer it went up to $100. then we added premium channels for $20 more. i was happier with comcast than with FIOS. on-demand on comcast is vastly superior to FIOS. comcast keeps new shows longer and posts them sooner than FIOS. and did you try testing using dslreports? speedtest.net cannot be relied upon anymore because they only feature affiliates who use packet compression that skew the test results. oh and comcast just suspended the 250gb cap pending a review of their policy. they must have realized a cap will not help their attempt to restrict netflix traffic while offering a similar service.

It's just the internet no TV. I was paying $80ish for basic digital TV and 20/1 internet. After the year was up that shot up to something like $120ish... So I requested they give me the max available internet and drop my TV, and that ended up being $78/month for 30/5 (but it runs faster than 30 most of the time), then just a few months ago it creeped up $2.

12. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 21, 2012, 19:26 zirik

Ant wrote on May 21, 2012, 03:54:

Which pisses me off because they are in my cities that I want to get in my neighborhoods. Argh!

theyre not stopping expansion on the west coast. verizon just finished laying down fiber in a few cities around los angeles. where you at?

11. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 21, 2012, 19:20 zirik

Sepharo wrote on May 21, 2012, 00:42:

is that just internet or with basic tv? i had comcast internet with basic tv for $89 last year. after the intro offer it went up to $100. then we added premium channels for $20 more. i was happier with comcast than with FIOS. on-demand on comcast is vastly superior to FIOS. comcast keeps new shows longer and posts them sooner than FIOS. and did you try testing using dslreports? speedtest.net cannot be relied upon anymore because they only feature affiliates who use packet compression that skew the test results. oh and comcast just suspended the 250gb cap pending a review of their policy. they must have realized a cap will not help their attempt to restrict netflix traffic while offering a similar service.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2012, 19:28.

10. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 21, 2012, 19:00 Sepharo

eunichron wrote on May 21, 2012, 01:55:
Sounds like a massive ripoff to me, this is what I get from TWC for $50 a month; http://www.speedtest.net/result/1962780439.png

I could pay more for more upstream, but I don't really have a need for it.

You're showing me what's probably 20/1 for $50 and I'm showing you my 30/5 for $80... Doesn't seem too far off. I think if I got 20 down from Comcast it would be about $60ish. Also are you currently on any first 6 months or first year type deals? The $80 I mentioned is after all of those have expired and I'm too lazy to argue/threaten for more discounts.

I pay a lot of lazy tax in my daily life and am not ashamed.

9. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 21, 2012, 03:54 Ant

8. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 21, 2012, 01:55 eunichron

Sounds like a massive ripoff to me, this is what I get from TWC for $50 a month; http://www.speedtest.net/result/1962780439.png

I could pay more for more upstream, but I don't really have a need for it.

7. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 21, 2012, 00:42 Sepharo

6. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 20, 2012, 21:35 zirik

The Half Elf wrote on May 20, 2012, 21:04:
zirik wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:48:

dont worry. they throttle traffic depending on what site you visit so that speed bump wont matter. im supposed to get 15mbps but the most i have seen it on youtube or hulu is 2.6mbps. amazon streaming is even worse. and if you think the TV quality will be better than cable then you will be disappointed. on-demand is lethargic and their channel per package lineup is pathetic. i used to get three history channels, the military channel and three national geographics on the premium package with cable. i got none of that with the premium of fios.

speedtest.net?

just tested now. 24 down 5 up on a local server. 24 down and 3 up coast to coast. they dont show non-affiliated servers anymore. those show true speed because they dont recognize compression "turbo" schemes that verizon and comcast uses. using dslreports test gave me a warning about compression on my end. it gave me an adjusted speed of 6mb down/768k up using the sprint server from illinois.

EDIT: this is sad. after repeated tests the verizon throttling kicks in. i now get 3mb down. lol.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2012, 21:46.

5. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 20, 2012, 21:04 The Half Elf

zirik wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:48:

dont worry. they throttle traffic depending on what site you visit so that speed bump wont matter. im supposed to get 15mbps but the most i have seen it on youtube or hulu is 2.6mbps. amazon streaming is even worse. and if you think the TV quality will be better than cable then you will be disappointed. on-demand is lethargic and their channel per package lineup is pathetic. i used to get three history channels, the military channel and three national geographics on the premium package with cable. i got none of that with the premium of fios.

speedtest.net?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 20, 2012, 20:50 zirik

theyre still expanding in the west coast. my brother just got a pitch from a verizon guy last week.

3. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 20, 2012, 20:48 zirik

2. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 20, 2012, 20:40 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

1. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 20, 2012, 18:59 AnointedSword

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo