Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

So I remedied my Diablo III neglect by getting on last night and getting to take out the Skeleton King with a couple of friends. I then got sucked into a little of that signature skinner box gameplay that had me playing until around 3:00 am. This is okay on a Sunday, as I could sleep in late, except I was awakened about three hours later by Hudson the wonder dog, who was going absolutely crazy to go outside. When I went to the backdoor, I was shocked to find puddles of urine all over the kitchen floor, so I assumed I was dealing with a bathroom emergency. When I let her out, however, it quickly became apparent that she was trying to leave the yard about as desperately as I've ever seen: To the extent that I had to jump over the railing off the deck and literally drag her back into the house by her collar. By now I knew from experience what to expect... Like an idiot, I failed to change the batteries in the smoke detector as I should have when the clocks changed, and the alarm was making that low battery chirp that Huddy finds to be the most frightening thing in the entire world. It took a good 30 minutes for her to calm down, which will hopefully finally serve as a reminder to stay on top of those batteries better in the future.

Chirpy Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Firebug 2.
Match 3 Platformer.
Stories: Rocks Set Woman's Pants On Fire. Unless she's a liar. Thanks Neatorama.
Winthrop seniors' prank a job 'weld' done. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: If only Dig Dug had a boob room. NSFW.
My Life Online - The Reply Girl Phenomenon. NSFW.
Vacuuming Fail.
The Funnies: EXTRALIFE It takes a village.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 12:45 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 09:45:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 21, 2012, 09:28:
Is it weird that for now I am keeping my game pretty vanilla? I am using my ingame economy rather than the AH.

Yeah, I said the same thing before I started playing...one trip to the AH got me hooked.

I'm still a little puzzled why the AH is such a step back from WOW (only 10 listings at a time, no search by name unless it's part of a set, etc).

hehehehe Jumpin on all day today if anyone is interested.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 10:57 nin

Maybe his account got hacked (like the 4+ links I sent him) and he's researching it...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 10:47 Ant

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 10:32:
Man! We may need to MrsBlue's help in staging a Diablo3 intervention for someone.

Leave Blue alone!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 10:42 Bucky

InBlack wrote on May 21, 2012, 10:04:
Not weird, not at all. Depends on how far along you are, at one point in Nightmare Act2 the game difficulty sort of shoots skyward, at that point you NEED better loot. At least thats the feeling I get, but that part is sort of chock full of Champion packs and rare elite mobs.

Heck, I'm not even past the Skeleton King in Nightmare and I've already found that my best gear at the end of Normal is not nearly good enough. I more or less breezed through Normal, but Champion and Rare packs are eating me alive right now. Of course, the drops are also much better too. Most whites weapons that drop have a better DPS stat than my unique weapons.

I've stayed out of the auction house so far, but browsing through it shows me how easy it would be to get some better gear. Of course, most of the fun is from slaughtering stuff and finding better loot, so I'll probably hold off for awhile longer.

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 10:32 nin

Man! We may need to MrsBlue's help in staging a Diablo3 intervention for someone.

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 10:04 InBlack

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 09:45:
Is it weird that for now I am keeping my game pretty vanilla? I am using my ingame economy rather than the AH.

Yeah, I said the same thing before I started playing...one trip to the AH got me hooked.

I'm still a little puzzled why the AH is such a step back from WOW (only 10 listings at a time, no search by name unless it's part of a set, etc).

Not weird, not at all. Depends on how far along you are, at one point in Nightmare Act2 the game difficulty sort of shoots skyward, at that point you NEED better loot. At least thats the feeling I get, but that part is sort of chock full of Champion packs and rare elite mobs.

Also one other thing. The game balance is WAAAY OUT OF WHACK. Its actually easier to solo nightmare than it is to party up with others, unless they are all powergamers.

Blizzard really screwed the pooch on this one. Not that surprising really, since its all been downhil from the Activision merger and onwards....

I have a nifty blue line!

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 09:55 VogelAP

Blue... Add a reminder to your Outlook (or whatever) calendar to change those smoke detector batteries. If it's important enough to remember, it's important enough not to forget!

D3: I bought two copies (one for me, one for DrWendy) and we're enjoying the game EXCEPT for being kicked off every so (too) often. That is ASTOUNDINGLY frustrating!

-drew
www.drewvogel.com

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 09:45 nin

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 09:28 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 09:14:
InBlack wrote on May 21, 2012, 07:57:
fawker wrote on May 20, 2012, 16:13:
I always figured with a dog's excellent hearing, that smoke alarm chirp could be pretty painful.

As far as D3, it's become apparent I'm wasting my money cutting my own gems and crafting my own gear. I can get exactly what I want on the AH, and I don't have to hope I roll the right gear each time I hit craft. Nor do i have to pay a ton of gold to cut my small gem fragments into better ones.

A lot of really nice gear for about 15k a pop. That's a quick to get at level 35+ when you are selling your blues and yellows to the npc vendor.

My primary char is a lvl 40 Demon Hunter and I have wasted money on vendors. (LOL sounds like an AA introduction) Yeah looks like the vendors are completely useless as you can get customized gear for a fraction of the price (when you consider levels and the random nature of each craft) by taking a half hour or each day or so in the auction house. A major failing of game design on the part of NEW Blizzard.

Too bad I only figured that out at lvl 34-35 or so.

In any case Im building a character with items based around DEX, VIT and Gold Find on every slot. Good stuff.

Been doing that daily...found an amulet yesterday with like 70 vitality and +14 bonus XP per kill...for 1500 gold!! About fell out of my chair when I saw how low it was. I've basically stopped upgrading my blacksmith for the moment, as everything he makes I either can't use, or is 2-3 levels away and by then I have something better.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 09:14 nin

InBlack wrote on May 21, 2012, 07:57:
I always figured with a dog's excellent hearing, that smoke alarm chirp could be pretty painful.

As far as D3, it's become apparent I'm wasting my money cutting my own gems and crafting my own gear. I can get exactly what I want on the AH, and I don't have to hope I roll the right gear each time I hit craft. Nor do i have to pay a ton of gold to cut my small gem fragments into better ones.

A lot of really nice gear for about 15k a pop. That's a quick to get at level 35+ when you are selling your blues and yellows to the npc vendor.

My primary char is a lvl 40 Demon Hunter and I have wasted money on vendors. (LOL sounds like an AA introduction) Yeah looks like the vendors are completely useless as you can get customized gear for a fraction of the price (when you consider levels and the random nature of each craft) by taking a half hour or each day or so in the auction house. A major failing of game design on the part of NEW Blizzard.

In any case Im building a character with items based around DEX, VIT and Gold Find on every slot. Good stuff.

Been doing that daily...found an amulet yesterday with like 70 vitality and +14 bonus XP per kill...for 1500 gold!! About fell out of my chair when I saw how low it was. I've basically stopped upgrading my blacksmith for the moment, as everything he makes I either can't use, or is 2-3 levels away and by then I have something better.

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 07:57 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 04:07 PHJF

The mighty Szazamun sightseeing in the bogs!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj316/PHJF/Greetings.jpg

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 03:48 Ant

zirik wrote on May 20, 2012, 22:06:
MadBoris wrote on May 20, 2012, 16:43:
I'm a new puppy owner so I can relate...

I remember Hudson doesn't like thunder
One thing that is nice about LA area, almost no thunder storms ever, short and quiet if there are.

the only problem is for an old dog who is not used to tiny aftershocks/earthquakes. i wonder how hudson reacted to last years quake that was felt all the way up to new york.
Maybe Hudson can predict the quakes way in advance for us.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2012, 23:10 MattyC

Cutter wrote on May 20, 2012, 17:59:
So thanks to eunichron who kindly gave me a key for the D3 demo I finally got around to seeing it first hand.

1. It was the same problem as the open beta where the game wouldn't update and install because of the bad Agent.exe. It boggles the mind they haven't fixed this yet and their only solution is to point them to user found soultions that you have to jump through hoops to figure out. I tried several things and none worked. I was about to just give up on it when I noticed someone posted a link in a reddit thread to some files that everything required to acutally get it installed. So it finally worked. Again though, simply ridiculous and unforgivable on Blizzard's part that they haven't fixed this and don't even offer a full client download to bypass this. No company this big that makes that much money should be that cheap and lazy.

2. So, I fired it up and it played pretty smooth with no noticable lag or rubber-banding. Visually speaking, I'm not impressed at all. Even with everything cranked up it all looks dated and washed-out. Everything has a sort of pastelish cel-shaded fuzzy look to it IMO. Skill trees suck. No auto-loot sucks. Combat - so far - is pretty meh - I'm playing a monk. The overall flavour and art direction are still good and I do enjoy it. Oh yeah, and no mouse zoom sucks. It's ridiculous that you either zoom all the way in or out and can't find a sweet spot you want.

Even if it didn't have the always-on DRM I wouldn't be in any hurry to pick this up. Overall it's definitely lacking something compared to 1 & 2.

I would have to disagree with you on the visuals. I find them very Blizzard and very well done. However on the zoom I am with you 100%. The SUPER ZOOM or no zoom seems very silly to me. I guess it is just to check your character, but there are situations I want to zoom in a bit, but not crazy zoom.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2012, 22:52 Riker

Hehehe, cute story  

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2012, 22:06 zirik

MadBoris wrote on May 20, 2012, 16:43:
I'm a new puppy owner so I can relate...

I remember Hudson doesn't like thunder
One thing that is nice about LA area, almost no thunder storms ever, short and quiet if there are.

the only problem is for an old dog who is not used to tiny aftershocks/earthquakes. i wonder how hudson reacted to last years quake that was felt all the way up to new york.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2012, 20:43 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on May 20, 2012, 17:59:
Overall it's definitely lacking something compared to 1 & 2.

Cause it's been beaten like a dead horse and it is 12 years later? So many clones have come out that it isn't anything "new" it is just new lore, locations, loot, etc.

Bats whats your bnet name again I approved ya but didn't even glance at your name, you can email through the Blues forums if ya like.

I'll send ya a msg.

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2012, 20:31 The Half Elf

Bats whats your bnet name again I approved ya but didn't even glance at your name, you can email through the Blues forums if ya like.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2012, 20:29 RoboNerd

About a week ago I replaced our doorbell because every time someone rang our old one the parrot freaked out. We tried muffling the thing, but could never seem to get it loud enough for us to hear but not freak out the bird. And since I've become the go-to Mr. Fixit for the neighborhood kids bicycles the bell and bird have been getting a workout. I really wanted to find a doorbell that did mp3s, but settled for one from Lowes with 63 tunes to choose from, plus a volume control. Now the bird is happy, the wife is happy, and I am happy.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2012, 18:14 DG

My smoke alarms are mains-wired with a rechargeable battery back up. Perhaps not worth the expense for a homeowner, but over here they're mandatory for rented properties.  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo