Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive

Enough people took Brian Fargo's positive comments about Origin's support for crowd-funded games as an indication that Wasteland 2 might be an Origin exclusive that the inXile Entertainment CEO took to Twitter to correct that mistaken impression. He says: "It is absolutely NOT going to be exclusive on Origin. They are just one of many digital stores we will support." Thanks nin.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

41. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 20:34 Dev

Jerykk wrote on May 19, 2012, 19:37:
I disagree that EA is the worst company in America. I think MS easily takes the cake for that. While EA has some anti-competitive practices (like requiring Origin for all their PC games), MS surpasses them.
I agree, and they have a far larger impact on the world and computing as a whole, EA is just 1 game company. Also, you list some stuff they do with consoles, but there are many non-gaming related examples of even worse stuff MS habitually does. I'll throw out one small example. I've seen cases where MS will ask a small company to come in and show them a technology and they say they are interested in buying it, but they need to see details, maybe get the program to trial it. MS then tells them they aren't interested, but the technology shows up in a shipped product (aka MS stole the technology, program, IP, etc). The company sues MS and MS settles out of court, paying a microscopic fraction of what they would have had to pay to buy or license the stuff outright. The small company caves to the settlement, since they can't afford to fight MS's army of lawyers and spend years in court. Plus the settlement MS offers is usually in the millions (pocket change to MS), so it looks attractive to settle, even though they might have been able to get a hundred million if they were able to fight to the finish in court.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 20:29 Bhruic

It's not "blind hatred" to oppose businesses that behave in an abusive way.

By all means, explain how giving developers 90 free days is abusive.

When you can't do that - because it's not - but you won't admit that EA is doing a decent thing, you'll understand why your hatred is blind.

Bill Gates was a conniving, sneaky, underhanded bastard when he was running MS, singlehandedly responsible for screwing over innumerable companies and stealing their products. I couldn't stand him for the longest time. But, with that said, when he turned around and put a bunch of his money into the various charities he's into, I recognized that as a decent act. It didn't invalidate all his other acts, and I still despise the way he conducted business, but I'm man enough to admit when someone I don't like does something decent.

39. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 19:37 Jerykk

As I said, I'm not oppose to KS games being made available on multiple services including Origin. However, you simply won't see them using Origin as the exclusive distributor because it has such a poor reputation with gamers. Afterall, it takes a lot to be voted the worst company in America. It's not "blind hatred" to oppose businesses that behave in an abusive way.

I disagree that EA is the worst company in America. I think MS easily takes the cake for that. While EA has some anti-competitive practices (like requiring Origin for all their PC games), MS surpasses them. If a developer wants to make a multiplatform game, they have to release it on X360 first or at the same time as the PS3 version. If the PS3 version comes out first, MS won't accept the game on X360. Also, if you want to play your games online, you have to pay for XBL Gold. It's not like MS is hosting dedicated servers for every game or anything, so this fee is simply them trying to exploit consumers. Then you have all the timed exclusivity bullshit on DLC for multiplatform games. MS dumps cash on publishers in order to delay DLC on PS3 and PC. Instead of trying to win over customers by offering a better product, MS just punishes anyone who isn't using an X360.

38. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 19:10 theyarecomingforyou

Bhruic wrote on May 19, 2012, 16:59:
Well, again, that's just blind hatred rather than rationality. The inability to recognize something good just because you dislike the individual (or corporation in this case) that's doing it is just sloppy thinking.
I couldn't disagree more. EA has a long history of abusive business practices and to support it as a company - through the purchase of games - would be to condone such activity. Valve really innovated with Steam and offered the market something that it didn't already have. It also supported indie developers and has had lot of sales specifically dedicated to them, as well as offering attractive rates for projects like those on KS. EA merely copied the main features with Origin and then withdrew all its games from Steam simply. Yet it shouldn't be forgotten that for a long time EA wouldn't even let you redownload titles that you'd bought more than a year ago. EA didn't produce Origin out of kindness to gamers - it did so because it was losing influence.

As I said, I'm not oppose to KS games being made available on multiple services including Origin. However, you simply won't see them using Origin as the exclusive distributor because it has such a poor reputation with gamers. Afterall, it takes a lot to be voted the worst company in America. It's not "blind hatred" to oppose businesses that behave in an abusive way.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

37. Re: Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive May 19, 2012, 18:43 finga

Acleacius wrote on May 19, 2012, 17:32:
Bhruic wrote on May 19, 2012, 17:01:
"Buying them out" only works if they want to sell. You can't forcibly buy out a private company. And if the developers would sell out to EA, they would do so regardless of whether EA is giving them 90 free days.
Absolutely false. Ever heard of hostile takeover, think Bioware was willingly bought out?
But that can only happen with a publicly traded company, or if private owners actually sell a controlling interest in the company.

For example, Valve is privately owned. No one's going to do a hostile takeover on Valve unless the people that own the company want it to be sold. I'm pretty sure that just means Gabe, as if I understand it correctly, he owns the vast majority (if not all) of the company's ownership.

Also, BioWare started out privately owned, too. And they let that holdings company that Bono from U2 was invested in buy them, then that holdings company sold to EA. I'm a little light on the details on that one, but the first time BioWare came into contact with a publicly traded company (and therefore became open to a hostile takeover) was only after EA bought them from that holdings group.

36. Re: Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive May 19, 2012, 17:49 mag

Acleacius wrote on May 19, 2012, 17:32:
"Buying them out" only works if they want to sell. You can't forcibly buy out a private company. And if the developers would sell out to EA, they would do so regardless of whether EA is giving them 90 free days.
Absolutely false. Ever heard of hostile takeover, think Bioware was willingly bought out?

No, see, like, if you have enough money people just have to give you their stuff, companies included. It's true, man.

35. Re: Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive May 19, 2012, 17:43 Bhruic

Yup. It wasn't a hostile takeover. EA bought Bioware and Pandemic by acquiring VG Holding Corp.

As for a "hostile takeover", you can't do a hostile takeover of a company that's solely owned. It's very difficult to do a hostile takeover of a company that's jointly owned, because you'd have to convince the majority of owners to side with you. If there are no shareholders, who are you convincing to sell you the company?

34. Re: Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive May 19, 2012, 17:32 Acleacius

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

33. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 17:21 Bhruic

You are confusing indie games with AAA games. Indie games actually often grow in sales as word of mouth spreads

I think you are overlooking the fact that Kickstarter is word of mouth. How much publicity has Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, etc gotten already? You really think they're going to have to rely on word of mouth post-release to get sales?

But even if that were true, I've still yet to see any evidence of why what EA is doing is a bad thing. They aren't forcing anyone to use Origin. They are merely acting as one distributor among many. They are simply giving people the option of buying the game from them, and giving 100% of the money to the developer. What, besides the irrational hatred of all things EA, is the downside supposed to be?

32. Re: Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive May 19, 2012, 17:18 Bhruic

Keep ignoring facts Btaman...  

31. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 17:17 Dev

Bhruic wrote on May 19, 2012, 16:59:
You're joking, right? Barring the game being on sale, the majority of purchases are definitely going to fall within the first 3 months of a game's availability. 90 days is a lifetime in game terms.
You are confusing indie games with AAA games. Indie games actually often grow in sales as word of mouth spreads, I'm certain EA knows this too. For indies, the biggest problem is usually trying to get people to know about the game, they often have little to no marketing budget. So as time goes on and more people find out about the game and tell their friends how its good, an indie title often grows.

30. Re: Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive May 19, 2012, 17:05 xXBatmanXx

Keep diggin that hole Bhuric....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

29. Re: Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive May 19, 2012, 17:01 Bhruic

So they can look for opportunities to screw them over, i.e. buy them out and get their IPs.

28. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 16:59 Bhruic

I am not sure you can consider ANYTHING EA does as "right"

Well, again, that's just blind hatred rather than rationality. The inability to recognize something good just because you dislike the individual (or corporation in this case) that's doing it is just sloppy thinking.

90 days....that is like giving the first crack rock away free

You're joking, right? Barring the game being on sale, the majority of purchases are definitely going to fall within the first 3 months of a game's availability. 90 days is a lifetime in game terms.

I pity any indie that gets into bed with EA.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll get totally hosed by having EA as one of many distributors for their games.

*sigh*

27. Re: Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive May 19, 2012, 16:57 Acleacius

Just going by history it's just another way for ea to get a foot in the door with these independents. So they can look for opportunities to screw them over, i.e. buy them out and get their IPs.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

26. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 16:53 xXBatmanXx

When EA does stupid shit, by all means call them on it. And they do enough that there's plenty to point at. But when they do something right, at least have the decency to admit they are, rather than trying to attack them over it.

I don't have enough deodorant on for this conversation.....I am not sure you can consider ANYTHING EA does as "right". 90 days....that is like giving the first crack rock away free....I pity any indie that gets into bed with EA.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

25. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 16:50 xXBatmanXx

Sepharo wrote on May 19, 2012, 13:26:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 19, 2012, 12:52:
BF3 sold too well....they won't get the message. For all the hate some here are putting on D3, I hope they give the same hate to EA and didn't buy BF3.

***I do not have Origin and will never have it.

Nice try, but BF3 single player doesn't require a persistent online connection. My major gripe about BF3 was that it was (and still is) an Origin exclusive but it's hard to fault them on that since Valve did similar with HL2. Origin sucks for sure but hopefully it improves... as software, I don't see EA getting any better.

If a game has an SP component and you're required to be 100% connected during the SP then I'm not going to buy it. Same for Ubisoft, same for Blizzard.

hmmm....is there a component of BF3 that I don't know about? Can people join your game and it instantly becomes co-op? I see it as apples and oranges.

I don't have UBI games, I don't have Origin, but I have D3. I also have TF2 (which has a store for the game). If Diablo 3 was on Origin, I wouldn't have bought it (I REALLY wanted BF3)....I also have a lot of issues with Steam games when I take my laptop on the road. A lot of times games aren't avail to play cause I am not online. I don't throw a hissy about it, just the way it is. I just play something that works at the moment. Binding of Isaac got me through a lot of the road trip a couple weeks ago!

24. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 16:46 Darks

I could just see it now, Origin supported, mass defection of users support withdrawn, the fastest kickstarter game in history to die a quick death.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

23. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 16:46 Bhruic

For all the hate some here are putting on D3, I hope they give the same hate to EA and didn't buy BF3.

How does that make sense? There's no "always on" requirement for the single player portion of BF3. And while the requirement to run Origin to play BF3 is annoying, it's no more annoying than the requirement to run Steam is for Steamworks games.

As for EA in this, it's interesting to see how blinded by their dislike/hatred some people have become. Reminds me of the old joke about EA (if it were a person) walking on water, and the next day people complaining that it can't swim. By waiving the fees for 90 days, EA is putting all of the profit from the games in the hands of the developers. Like EA or don't like EA, that's a good thing for the developers, and considering the Kickstart system, is a good thing for consumers. And they aren't requiring anything like exclusivity in order to gain that benefit.

When EA does stupid shit, by all means call them on it. And they do enough that there's plenty to point at. But when they do something right, at least have the decency to admit they are, rather than trying to attack them over it.

22. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 15:56 Alamar

Creston wrote on May 19, 2012, 14:02:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 19, 2012, 12:52:
For all the hate some here are putting on D3, I hope they give the same hate to EA and didn't buy BF3.

I didn't, actually. I also never bought any of the Ubisoft games that came with the always-on DRM. I also have not bought D3.

Ah, consistency. How many others here can say that? (I know Seph can.)

Creston

Oh oh oh.. I'm consistent... I have D3 because I like it, and don't have BF because I don't : )

-Alamar

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo