Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive

Enough people took Brian Fargo's positive comments about Origin's support for crowd-funded games as an indication that Wasteland 2 might be an Origin exclusive that the inXile Entertainment CEO took to Twitter to correct that mistaken impression. He says: "It is absolutely NOT going to be exclusive on Origin. They are just one of many digital stores we will support." Thanks nin.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

21. Re: Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive May 19, 2012, 15:47 Dev

Cutter wrote on May 19, 2012, 15:38:
Origin isn't competition for Steam.
That's not what EA thinks. That's why they did it in the first place.
Kitkoan wrote on May 19, 2012, 14:21:
I can, first thing I do is check if there is any third party DRM in the game from the big [url= http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/index.php?page=DRM_Lists/The_Big_DRM_List ] DRM list.[/url]

Only game that I have that is on the list that I know of is the first Batman game, and only because bought it as a square pack and didn't know about the list.
Great link thanks!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive May 19, 2012, 15:38 Cutter

Origin isn't competition for Steam. It's not simply having an online medium that denotes compeition but how its used. And we all know EA is abusive toward their customers and consumer rights. If you don't understand the major differences between the two, both practically and philosopically, than you're not really a gamer.

Anyway, glad to see that the W2 community made it clear in no uncertain terms how they loathe Origin/EA.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

19. Re: Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive May 19, 2012, 14:44 Saboth

Kajetan wrote on May 19, 2012, 11:18:
ASeven wrote on May 19, 2012, 11:11:
Still, hopefully everyone gets the game on every distribution platform except Origin, this way maybe EA gets the hint that nobody cares about their shitty distribution service.
People get used to Steam. Why shouldnt they get used to Origin?

Because there're many, many, many good reasons EA was voted Worst Company in America. I've yet to buy any game that requires Origin. Origin is not on my computer and never has been. I've skipped many Ubisoft games because of their DRM. I made one exception with MM Heroes 6. That was a mistake. I figured I'd give them a shot, and I regretted it. Haven't bought D3 yet either. On the fence about it. If not for their DRM, it would have been a pre-order, as I enjoyed D1 and D2.

18. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 14:37 theyarecomingforyou

ASeven wrote on May 19, 2012, 13:59:
They are asking €70 for SimCity. About $95. It's as if EA doesn't want PC gamers to buy from them anymore not only out of hostility against EA but also because prices set by EA are becoming too ridiculous and affordable.
Exactly. It's ridiculous. But it's obvious they're doing that so as not to encroach upon physical sales at B&M retailers. At the end of the day they charge a lot more for the game for a lot less of a service. It's a lose-lose situation.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 14:27 ASeven

Creston wrote on May 19, 2012, 14:02:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 19, 2012, 12:52:
For all the hate some here are putting on D3, I hope they give the same hate to EA and didn't buy BF3.

I didn't, actually. I also never bought any of the Ubisoft games that came with the always-on DRM. I also have not bought D3.

Ah, consistency. How many others here can say that? (I know Seph can.)

Me.

16. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 14:21 Kitkoan

mag wrote on May 19, 2012, 14:11:
For all the hate some here are putting on D3, I hope they give the same hate to EA and didn't buy BF3.

I didn't, actually. I also never bought any of the Ubisoft games that came with the always-on DRM. I also have not bought D3.

Creston

I can. I have not bought a single game with the always-on DRM.

I can, first thing I do is check if there is any third party DRM in the game from the big [url= http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/index.php?page=DRM_Lists/The_Big_DRM_List ] DRM list.[/url]

Only game that I have that is on the list that I know of is the first Batman game, and only because bought it as a square pack and didn't know about the list.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

15. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 14:11 mag

Creston

I can. I have not bought a single game with the always-on DRM.

14. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 14:02 Creston

Creston

13. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 13:59 ASeven

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 19, 2012, 13:48:
the excessive price of the games they sell

They are asking €70 for SimCity. About $95. It's as if EA doesn't want PC gamers to buy from them anymore not only out of hostility against EA but also because prices set by EA are becoming too ridiculous and affordable.

12. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 13:56 Mad Max RW

There were idiots who actually mistook what he said as Wasteland 2 being an Origin exclusive? Ha, fucking internet people.  

11. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 13:48 theyarecomingforyou

Steam also didn't go and remove all games from their competitors.
Valve doesn't sell its games through most digital distribution services, so in some respects EA is actually better. However, EA's boycott of Steam, the excessive price of the games they sell, the extreme DRM they use and the way they've screwed over developers means I simply won't touch their games.

For what it's worth I have an Origin account and I have about 20 games on it, though that's only because I was able to register the serial keys from the EA games I purchased on Steam. It's not terrible but it's certainly nowhere near as good as Steam and I can't bring myself to support the abhorrent business practices of EA. At the end of the day it doesn't offer me any advantages and I hate juggling multiple accounts. The numbers of times I've forgotten my login to other services - usually because of bizarre password requirements - is a joke. In fact until the release of Diablo III I would have to reset my password for Battle.net every time I went to play Starcraft II.

If EA removed all DRM (including any requirement to use Origin), offered reasonable prices, made a client that better than Steam and stopped fucking over both developers and customers then I'd be happy to buy my games there. Afterall, I have over 500 games on Steam and I don't feel particularly inclined to migrate to another service. At the moment Origin just doesn't even come close.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 13:26 Sepharo

BF3 sold too well....they won't get the message. For all the hate some here are putting on D3, I hope they give the same hate to EA and didn't buy BF3.

***I do not have Origin and will never have it.

Nice try, but BF3 single player doesn't require a persistent online connection. My major gripe about BF3 was that it was (and still is) an Origin exclusive but it's hard to fault them on that since Valve did similar with HL2. Origin sucks for sure but hopefully it improves... as software, I don't see EA getting any better.

If a game has an SP component and you're required to be 100% connected during the SP then I'm not going to buy it. Same for Ubisoft, same for Blizzard.

9. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 12:52 xXBatmanXx

Paketep wrote on May 19, 2012, 11:55:
Sho wrote on May 19, 2012, 11:32:
yonder wrote on May 19, 2012, 11:25:
Because it sucks and we don't want it. ..... duh.

Yeah, but Steam used to suck and we didn't want it.

Even when Steam sucked, it didn't go looking through your Hard Drive.

And when you said something stupid in the Steam forums, you didn't get banned from your games.

Steam also didn't go and remove all games from their competitors.

Still, hopefully everyone gets the game on every distribution platform except Origin, this way maybe EA gets the hint that nobody cares about their shitty distribution service.

BF3 sold too well....they won't get the message. For all the hate some here are putting on D3, I hope they give the same hate to EA and didn't buy BF3.

***I do not have Origin and will never have it.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

8. Re: Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive May 19, 2012, 12:48 Panickd

Or alternatively you could hope everyone who buys crowd-funded games on Origin does so in the first 90 days so EA doesn't get a dime from it.

I don't really get all the hate lobbed at Origin. Competition is good. Even if you don't like Origin its existence can only make the digital distribution platforms you do like better. Just because EA crapped it out doesn't automatically make it bad or evil.

7. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 11:55 Paketep

Sho wrote on May 19, 2012, 11:32:

Even when Steam sucked, it didn't go looking through your Hard Drive.

And when you said something stupid in the Steam forums, you didn't get banned from your games.

6. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 11:52 nin

It pleases me to no end that so many people came out to show EA what a shitty system they have!

This comment was edited on May 19, 2012, 12:06.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 11:32 Sho

Disclaimer: I haven't used Origin so far. It may well suck horribly, there seems to be consensus on that. Doesn't mean it can't improve. I'm pretty blasé about it.

4. Re: Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 11:31 J

I don't consider Steam to be malware...  

3. Wasteland 2 May 19, 2012, 11:25 yonder

Kajetan wrote on May 19, 2012, 11:18:

2. Re: Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive May 19, 2012, 11:18 Kajetan

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo