Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Blend Gaming - Diablo 3's Launch Fiasco Proves Video Game Journalism Fails.
These journalists should be informing readers as to why consumers are angry, why gamers are peeved and why those 0/10 review scores are the way they are. Reading through most comments give you a clear picture that first-adopters don't mind that there's a delay, they don't even mind that servers are down, however they do mind that the game boasts a single-player mode you can't play without constantly being connected to the internet. It's no different than being forced to watch a DVD or Blu-Ray from your player while always being online. Yes, most people are connected online one way or another, but if you want to watch a movie at your own leisure then that's what you paid for. This is not the case with Diablo III, you cannot play the game whenever you want; you can only play the game when Blizzard allows you to.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

73. Re: Op Ed May 21, 2012, 08:21 InBlack

They dropped the ball so very completely on itemization that it's ridiculous.

Its Blizzard though and they might be able to do something about it, but currently Diablo3 is very very basic, as far as I remember Diablo1 was the last game that featured blue items as the very best you could get.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 23:59 Slashman

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 20, 2012, 23:22:
avianflu wrote on May 20, 2012, 21:09:
I am kinda surprised so many long-timers here at Blues bought D3 at launch. If there was ever a game to wait on for a few months, this might have been the game?

To me, that is like waiting to see how many Wonka bar winners there are and THEN buying a chocolate bar......no thanks...I want a chance at the golden ticket right away....

What the hell does that mean? What, exactly, would you lose if you waited to get a game? Is it going to spoil? Are stocks going to run out? What frigging golden ticket are you talking about???

71. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 23:22 xXBatmanXx

I am kinda surprised so many long-timers here at Blues bought D3 at launch. If there was ever a game to wait on for a few months, this might have been the game?

To me, that is like waiting to see how many Wonka bar winners there are and THEN buying a chocolate bar......no thanks...I want a chance at the golden ticket right away....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

70. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 22:10 Slashman

I didn't buy it!

In fact I pre-ordered TL2 yesterday.

69. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 21:09 avianflu

68. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 14:06 Wowbagger_TIP

Pigeon wrote on May 20, 2012, 12:44:
For a successful offline mode that doesn't doesn't increase the risk of item duping they'd probably have to have completely different coding for single player item dropping.
For the millionth time, that's just complete garbage. There is no risk of duping from offline play if those characters are never allowed to go online.

Verno wrote on May 20, 2012, 12:35:
Diablo is all about collecting crazy items and without those I might as well be playing WoW. This is a good example of what people are talking about on the forums.
This already annoyed me during the beta. The fact that any class could use almost any item just made the game less interesting. That it goes deeper than that and the whole loot system needs some kind of major adjustment is not surprising.

Edit: Oh and I also fit Creston's consistent profile. No Ubi, no BF3, no D3 for me. No Origin either. I don't want their shady crap on my system.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2012, 21:40.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

67. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 13:42 Verno

eunichron wrote on May 20, 2012, 13:23:
The guy makes a really good point, but the "crazy loot" doesn't really start until Inferno... and the vast majority of people aren't even on Hell difficulty yet.

I think that's really besides the point, what the majority are doing or not doesn't change the quality of the loot. The loot itself is becoming known and there aren't many interesting items due to the way they have rolled items with specific modifiers. Heck the modifiers themselves aren't very interesting.

That is something I don't agree with as the difficulty of Inferno is flat out ridiculous, and I see most players probably finishing Nightmare and maybe Hell, but when they see Inferno they'll just retreat, which means that the vast majority of players won't even see the new loot, set items, and the best legendary items (unless they get them off the AH).

Many of the sets are starting to appear and they contain stuff like "2) Increases life by 2%, 4) increases resource regeneration by 10%". Whew, that sure makes me want to run Inferno champion packs that are frozen, illusionist, desecrator, jailer

So, I'd give it some more time as more people make it into higher difficulties and max level to see what happens with the item economy.

Time isn't really the factor here, it's the quality of the items and the lack of any creative or interesting modifiers. The balance of the economy isn't particularly important either, people are always going to follow forum cookie cutter builds and move onto Build of The Moment which will undoubtedly require X item. That's why they turned Diablo 2 on its head with the ability to runeword items to allow for more builds and customization.

They boned the loot in terms of playtime longevity IMO. Thankfully its an easy fix, add more items to the table and give them some interesting things like class abilities. I really hope they do that because incrementing your main stat/vit for months isn't very exciting.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

66. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 13:23 eunichron

Verno wrote on May 20, 2012, 12:35:
BDiablo is all about collecting crazy items and without those I might as well be playing WoW. This is a good example of what people are talking about on the forums.

The guy makes a really good point, but the "crazy loot" doesn't really start until Inferno... and the vast majority of people aren't even on Hell difficulty yet. That is something I don't agree with as the difficulty of Inferno is flat out ridiculous, and I see most players probably finishing Nightmare and maybe Hell, but when they see Inferno they'll just retreat, which means that the vast majority of players won't even see the new loot, set items, and the best legendary items (unless they get them off the AH).

One thing he is forgetting is that there are class specific attributes that are only found on class specific items; primarily resource regeneration. So, while a Wizard can use a giant 2h sword, it will more than likely be optimal for them to use a wand and focus with boosts to arcane power. I have also noticed that crafted class specific items generally have more of a chance of getting stats beneficial to that class rather than crafting generic rare and common items.

I think one thing Blizzard went for is they just wanted to balance the economy. Rare and Uniques in Diablo 2 were ubiquitous because you could just load up on magic find and run Pindleskin for 3 hours and end up with several great rares and a few uniques. For Diablo 3 they've already confirmed that random named mobs will have a higher chance to drop rare and legendary items than bosses, and at level 60 there is the Nephalem Valor buff which increases your magic find every time you kill a boss without changing your skills (if you change your skills at any time the buff resets). So, I'd give it some more time as more people make it into higher difficulties and max level to see what happens with the item economy.

Also, I disagree about Witch Doctor, I love many of his abilities, and they also have some of the highest damage abilities (Poison Dart + Splinters rune, and Firebats + Dire Bat rune) of any class. Once they reach level 40 and get the Vision Quest passive they can spam those abilities ad nauseam without any chance running out of mana. Combine that with Soul Harvest and Spirit Walk (along with Smoke Screen, two of the best defensive abilities of any class), once they hit level 40 they are the most overpowered class in the game.

65. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 13:22 deqer

Duping is a valid concern,
Sure, for online players. Not offline players, though.
the AH is a feature a lot of people like.
No, not really.

Many people expected a singleplayer adventure, with perhaps some fellow warriors(your friends) via a LAN game. No one cared for an AH. That's just what Blizzard has fed you, and you're eating it up.

Blizz aren't some Snidely
Yes, they are. You just aren't seeing it.

They were trying to offer built undesirable features--that best suited their interests--and attempting to control for some of undesirable consequences of having those features.
Fixed.

To me the bigger issue is that they failed to provide adequate infrastructure to make sure the game runs smoothly for most everyone.
No, the bigger issue is that you're leasing a singleplayer game now and you're forced to be connected to Battle.net while you do it; not to mention you'll play it at 150ms(online), rather 0ms(offline or LAN).

64. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 12:44 Pigeon

For a successful offline mode that doesn't doesn't increase the risk of item duping they'd probably have to have completely different coding for single player item dropping.

Duping is a valid concern, and like it or not the AH is a feature a lot of people like.

Personally I would love to see an offline mode, and if I were running things it'd have one. Not that anyone would ever let me run any sort of game development but hey I can dream

I guess my point is this isn't some black & white good vs evil issue. Blizz isn't some Snidely Whiplash villain, twisting its mustache while cackling as it ties customers to a railroad track. They were trying to offer desirable features and attempting to control for some of undesirable consequences of having those features.

To me the bigger issue is that they failed to provide adequate infrastructure to make sure the game runs smoothly for most everyone. Specially given that they went the no-option always on route.

63. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 12:35 Verno

Been playing a shitload of D3, my thoughts below:

- Character customization is done pretty well, the rune system needs some tweaks but overall is pretty good.

- Hardcore mode is pointless, the average server latency on a FiOS connection is still as high as 200-250ms. You find yourself frequently taking hits that you have dodged locally on your screen. They really need to fix up the netcode a bit there, it's a common complaint on the forums.

- The class balance is really off. Witch Doctor for example has several abilities that are essentially useless even considering niche situations. The Demon Hunter on the other hand has one mediocre ability and everything else is so good you'll have trouble setting on a build.

- The maps are a lot smaller and more linear. There is more detail and I love the physics stuff they did in the maps but some of the act maps are very short (Act 3/4 especially).

- Bosses were lame, the champion packs are much harder. Can't sugarcoat this one, they are just simple affairs that don't require any thought or strategy even on higher diffs. The real difficulty in the game is now in the random packs you see in the world.

- The story is very poor and predictable. Less is more with this franchise's setting, they should have gone with the Diablo 2 approach to story telling.

Also the loot is really boring. They really really messed up here and this will hurt the longevity of the game if they don't fix it. There are no interesting items that add abilities or let you build out a really specific character. At best there are a few "low chance to freeze things". You basically just iterate slightly on your main damage stat and add vitality, that's it. It's super boring once you're into Hell.

Diablo is all about collecting crazy items and without those I might as well be playing WoW. This is a good example of what people are talking about on the forums.

The game itself is fun and I already got my moneys worth from it so I have no regrets. The online stuff has been discussed to death so I don't have anything to add to it. I can't see myself playing this more than a few weeks though, the loot variety to drive that sort of poopsocking just isn't there.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

62. Re: Another alternative: Path of Exile May 20, 2012, 12:13 nin

Oh, and I try to log in to US servers, my char isn't there.

Pretty sure that's normal. (I thought I'd read) You can play in any region, but characters and items can't move between regions.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

61. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 12:05 Bhruic

as with every other game, ie Team Fortress 2 online

Wait, what? TF2 supports offline play with bots. There is no online requirement if you want to play that way.

That's the same way Valve has done most (all?) of their games - even L4D 1 & 2, games that were designed primarily with multiplayer in mind, just like Diablo 3 was, still support singleplayer offline play.

The game isn't single player. That is a term end users are using - not them. End users want it to be, but it isn't....and that is just the way it is

Again, repeating this ad naseum doesn't make it true. The game as it stands right now has the ability to be played singleplayer. I could, if I owned the game, fire up a session, play for hours, finish playing, and never have had to interact with another person in any way at all.

Or, look at it differently: let's say they did have offline play. How exactly would the offline play be any different than the online play for someone playing solo? It wouldn't be. The only "features" that you would lose access to are features that are dedicated to multiplayer. So if there is literally no difference between playing it in an offline function, and playing it in an online function, how can you claim there's no singleplayer?

60. Re: Another alternative: Path of Exile May 20, 2012, 11:09 DG

...and the EU servers are down again. [4 hours and counting from time of this edit, i.e. all Sunday afternoon]

Being down is a nuisance, but Blizz really do not handle it very well. That is, they don't manage it at all.

It says "maintenance", soooooo was it planned? Can't they give some kind of advance notice? Either way, can't they give some kind of ETA? I appreciate fixing servers is as much art as science, but whether their best guess is 1 hour or 4 hours makes a big difference to what I decide to do about it.

Oh, and I try to log in to US servers, my char isn't there.

Thread on the EU forums was locked at >8,800 posts in 3 hours.

edit: lol @ server status app

This comment was edited on May 20, 2012, 13:07.

59. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 11:05 Prez

Dades wrote on May 20, 2012, 09:52:
Why is it time for people to move on? They are allowed to their register their complaints. Just because people like you don't want to hear them doesn't mean they aren't valid and that the feedback won't reach companies like Blizzard. A lot of people don't like this model for many legitimate reasons. The people who don't care got their game and aren't affected, maybe its time for them to move on.

Exactly.

Blizzard devs themselves have said repeatedly in interviews (as a Diablo fan I read them all) that Diablo 3 would have singleplayer, so I'm not buying all the statements by non-Blizzard employees that D3 isn't a singleplayer game. They said it is, therefore in my book it can be judged as one. No one forced them to so closely integrate the singleplayer with the online features no one asked for - they did that themselves, so the excuse that a separate offline singleplayer mode would have required too much time and effort doesn't wash with me. Again, it is just a pretty lame attempt to dress up their DRM as something other than DRM. Ubisoft got crucified for doing the same thing, and rightly so - Blizzard shouldn't get a free pass just because of who they are.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2012, 11:10.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

58. Another alternative: Path of Exile May 20, 2012, 10:58 ColBlister

An excellent title in development by an indie group in New Zealand is Path of Exile. Unlike D3, it allows quite a bit of specialization.

It'll be free-to-play when it comes out in August, but you can support the devs by donating $10 now to get in on their closed beta. I don't have any association with them except as a happy player.

57. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 10:42 xXBatmanXx

deqer wrote on May 20, 2012, 10:26:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 20, 2012, 09:46:
even though I have a cabinet at home (which I do, and let me tell you how awesome it is to have a cocktail Ms. PacMan table in the kitchen! ),
So, you call yourself Batman, and you have arcade games in your kitchen... Do you dress up as Batman too?

If you had any respect for gaming, history, or anything/anyone for that matter.....nevermind....it isn't worth my time. I am sure you were born long after the game and have no idea what I am talking about. Your first game system probably included wireless controllers out of the retail box.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

56. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 10:26 deqer

even though I have a cabinet at home (which I do, and let me tell you how awesome it is to have a cocktail Ms. PacMan table in the kitchen! ),
So, you call yourself Batman, and you have arcade games in your kitchen... Do you dress up as Batman too?

The game isn't single player.
Yes, people are realizing that out now; and now they want a refund. People now want to go back and play Diablo 2.

55. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 09:52 Dades

Why is it time for people to move on? They are allowed to their register their complaints. Just because people like you don't want to hear them doesn't mean they aren't valid and that the feedback won't reach companies like Blizzard. A lot of people don't like this model for many legitimate reasons. The people who don't care got their game and aren't affected, maybe its time for them to move on.  

54. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 09:46 xXBatmanXx

Prez wrote on May 20, 2012, 06:13:
On top of that they deliberately designed the game so that the singleplayer was integrated with the online crap on one hand, then, insultingly, they pointed to those same arbitrary restraints that they themselves forced into the singleplayer as an excuse why there is no offline singleplayer.

Handled differently, this would have been a non-story for the most part. As it is, however, Blizzard stepped in it big time.

? They told us EXACTLY how it was going to work. And even let damn near everyone play a BETA to see how it works. So not sure how it should hvae been handled any differently, other than calling it Diablo Online. But then World of Warcraft would have to change it's name (as with every other game, ie Team Fortress 2 online), so it just doesn't make sense.

People are just mad they can't have their way. Just need to deal with it. If a game like Ms. PacMan was online only, even though I have a cabinet at home (which I do, and let me tell you how awesome it is to have a cocktail Ms. PacMan table in the kitchen! ), then there would be reason for rage. But this is just out of control at this point.

The game isn't single player. That is a term end users are using - not them. End users want it to be, but it isn't....and that is just the way it is. It was never hidden. At this point it is like a kid getting super rage mad about something trivial - and as time goes on s/he realises that the rage was misguided and moves on.

So, time to move on people.

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo