Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend

Surely coincidental with the recent release of rival Diablo III, the Torchlight II Website announces this weekend will be a stress test for Runic's action/RPG sequel, as they will evaluate the burden the game will place on their infrastructure and everyone's mouse buttons (thanks AusGamers via VG247). Here's word:

Hi Everyone! We've been busy squashing bugs and deploying patches - 8, in fact! - since our last update. The Torchlight II beta is going really well, and is nearing its end. But before we go, we're going to do a wide network stress test this weekend! We'll be sending out many more beta codes to those who have already made their Runic Games Account. Haven't signed up yet? Go for it now! Creating your account is always your best chance to receive a beta invite - especially this weekend.

The Beta Weekend will start on Friday, May 18th at 11:00am PDT and go until Tuesday, May 22nd at 11:00am PDT. We will be staggering invitations to let participants know they have been chosen, but you will not be able to play until the start of the Beta Weekend on Friday. This is to help stagger downloading of the game client.

The beta will end shortly after this last big network test. We are going to get the last information we need for stress testing, and then get back to finishing the game! A longer beta means a longer wait until we can ship, and we are eager to finish Torchlight II and get it in your hands. Thanks to all our fans who've supported us, participated in, and promoted the beta. It's incredibly fulfilling to see you guys play the game and enjoy it as much as we do.

View
150 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

50. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 13:17 SpectralMeat

deqer wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:39:
Ya, way to divide your resources amongst two things of the same category making yourself 50% useful in both games, rather 100% useful in one game that you could put all your resources into.
Headscratch

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 13:13 Alamar

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 18, 2012, 13:05:
Creston wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:53:
Have they announced a release date? Wasn't obvious on the site so I'm guessing not, but figured I might as well ask..

No, they haven't yet. Obviously they're going to give Diablo 3 a wide berth, so—barring any unforeseen issues—it'll be out somewhere in July or August, I'm guessing.

Creston

I thought it was more of a fall release? Did I pull that out of thin air? Sticks in my mind for some reason...what else is this fall that I might be confusing this with? When is GTA5?

Steam says summer for TL2, if that's worth anything : )

I'm also one of those odd people enjoying D3, and will enjoy TL2 (hopefully)...

Edit: Oh and Grim Dawn : )

-Alamar

48. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 13:10 xXBatmanXx

Rattlehead wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:35:
I enjoy Diablo 3 and will enjoy Torchlight 2. Stick that in your pipe and smoke. It's weird how you can enjoy both games without turning it into a pissing contest.

I hate all of you.
Ya, way to divide your resources amongst two things of the same category making yourself 50% useful in both games, rather 100% useful in one game that you could put all your resources into.

You are the dumbest motherfucker I have ever had the inopportunity to read in a forum....and there have been a lot of dumb motherfuckers here over the years....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

47. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 13:05 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:53:
Have they announced a release date? Wasn't obvious on the site so I'm guessing not, but figured I might as well ask..

No, they haven't yet. Obviously they're going to give Diablo 3 a wide berth, so—barring any unforeseen issues—it'll be out somewhere in July or August, I'm guessing.

Creston

I thought it was more of a fall release? Did I pull that out of thin air? Sticks in my mind for some reason...what else is this fall that I might be confusing this with? When is GTA5?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

46. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 13:04 xXBatmanXx

InBlack wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:57:
Trashy wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:56:
InBlack wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:31:
I really, really hope they iron out the bugs in the Diablo3 engine. Im having a lot of fun with the game but jesus christ their engine SUCKS MAJOR BALLS....Its playable....sort of....but I cant imagine anyone making a hardcore character for D3 at this moment.

What issues have you been having!? I haven't had so much as a lag spike or glitch or random disconnect in Diablo III.. I haven't had an issue logging in since the first day.

Bandwagon of disliking, bashing and exaggeration of issues of popular games seems to be what the kids do now.

Yeah because I mean, what the hell do WE know since YOU have no issues the game must be perfect for EVERYONE else as well. See where Im going with this?

You don't know much if you don't own the game....you have no personal experience in the matter...

45. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 13:02 xXBatmanXx

InBlack wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:51:
Darks wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:46:
I really, really hope they iron out the bugs in the Diablo3 engine. Im having a lot of fun with the game but jesus christ their engine SUCKS MAJOR BALLS....Its playable....sort of....but I cant imagine anyone making a hardcore character for D3 at this moment.

What the hell are you talking about? What issues? Other then the launch issues that have been fixed, there have been no other problems. In fact we spent the last two days playing the game 3 or more hours at a time and not once did the game crash out or boot anyone out with a problem. I think some needs to take his meds.

You are either A) a Liar B) a Blizzard fanboy C) One of the few people who can play the game without the INFAMOUS STUTTERING, ASSET LOADING ISSUE.

? 23 hours in 3 days. Stuttered once. Having a blast.

44. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 12:44 AnointedSword

Diablo3 is one heck of a game...downloading this, let us see if it compares! Oo  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

43. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 11:56 PropheT

What about either game is "useful"? Games are entertainment, people play them for fun. No one will ever care how much of a single player game you completed or how pro your gear is or how dedicated to it you are other than you.

42. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 11:56 ASeven

deqer wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:58:
1AngryGamer wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:48:
What's Torchlight 2?

Sounds stupid.

Oh yeah its a pale Diablo clone
It's a beautiful moddable DRM-less offline singleplayer/multiplayer/lan actionrpg game made by Runic Games(the true makers of Diablo II) that maintains all the traditional systems of the classic diablo series games--including the music--for 1/3 of the price.

It's different than Diablo 3.
- Diablo 3 is online only(lol?), and costs 3x more $
- Diablo 3 is not moddable(lol?)
- Diablo 3 requires you setup a global Battle.net account.
- Diablo 3 is being leased to you. You don't own it.
- Diablo 3 is not forever, because you don't own it.
- Diablo 3 does not maintain several traditional systems(for ARPGs). It has no skill or stat points, has a completely different skill system, and multiple other differences from traditional ARPGs.
- Diablo 3 is by Blizzard--the future of Game Leasing.(lol?)

Duh?

Also, let's not forget the most important:
-Diablo 3 was not made by the devs that made Diablo 2 and 1. Torchilight 2 is being made by the D1&2 devs though, making T2 more tuned in with D2 than D3 is.

It also makes his trolling attempt all the more pathetic.

41. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 11:46 deqer

CythrawL wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:42:
Um I play more than one game at any said time..
Yes, I do too, but that's not what I said.

40. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 11:42 CythrawL

I enjoy Diablo 3 and will enjoy Torchlight 2. Stick that in your pipe and smoke. It's weird how you can enjoy both games without turning it into a pissing contest.

I hate all of you.

Um I play more than one game at any said time.. As do most "normal" people.. Your argument is invalid

39. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 11:39 deqer

I hate all of you.

38. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 11:38 CythrawL

I hate all of you.

Im enjoying Diablo 3 too. I ave had probably 2 instances where I couldnt get on a day or so ago. I have seen some Lag (and its infrequent). Really this Internet RAGE over games is getting a bit much these days.. Dont like it? Dont fucking buy it.. Simple.

37. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 11:38 deqer

CythrawL wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:35:
deqer wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:31:
Technically that is the engine, though. There is no offline mode, and never will be. That is how the engine is built, online only. So, technically that IS the engine. lol

Wrong! The Engine still RUNS from your PC... there is over 8GB of data on your Hard Drive. All the assets, sounds etc are still running from THAT ENGINE..

The decision was that the AI and everything else was running SERVER side and are fed to the CLIENT ENGINE that runs off your Hard Drive.. IF the engine was online only, your client would be small.
Therefor its a Client -> Server issue nothing more
Well, this is a grey argument.

Let's say I agree with you. I'm still going to refer to it as the "Blizzard Online-Only Engine"

e.g.
<Announcement> New game out!
<Person> What engine is it using?
<Me> It's using the "Blizzard Online-Only Engine"

36. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 11:35 Rattlehead

I hate all of you.

35. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 11:35 CythrawL

deqer wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:31:
CythrawL wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:28:

Actually thats NOT the engine, thats Server to client latency issues (IE LAG). It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Game Engine and has EVERYTHING to do with the Server -> Client code... Get a grip!!!
Technically that is the engine, though. There is no offline mode, and never will be. That is how the engine is built, online only. So, technically that IS the engine. lol

Wrong! The Engine still RUNS from your PC... there is over 8GB of data on your Hard Drive. All the assets, sounds etc are still running from THAT ENGINE..

The decision was that the AI and everything else was running SERVER side and are fed to the CLIENT ENGINE that runs off your Hard Drive.. IF the engine was online only, your client would be small.
Therefor its a Client -> Server issue nothing more

34. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 11:34 Cpmartins

I'm a brazillian, as are all my Bnet friends, of wich I have more than 30 online at any given time since D3 released. The major problem for me and everyone I played with since launch is one: Lag. It varies from unplayable to tolerable but annoying (My wizard casting disintegrate, then switching to the energy neutral skill and there's the lag. Stopping casting to move and there's the lag). As I said before, it's every single one of my friends I've played with. And that's why I'll be playing T2 the day it comes out, and that's why I'm trying my best to sell the game to every one of my friends on Bnet, so we don't have to deal the unnecessary, uncalled for lag that the always on drm causes.  

33. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 11:31 CythrawL

deqer wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:26:
Looks like RunicGames TL2 website is being DDOS attacked.

Hahahaha, you immature Blizzard lovers.

You get all bent out of shape because
1) You got shafted with D3 but refuse to believe it. Blizzard4ever!right?
2) Jealous that TL2 is more real ARPG than Diablo 3.
3) Paid 3x more $ to only lease the game.

But, nooooooooooo, you won't admit it. You won't feel ashamed of yourself. You musn't! right? lol. Instead, you'll act out and do something immature by putting your l33t linux skills in motion and DDOS attacking poor old RunicGames.

Haha, you're just a bunch of fuckers, and you know it.

G'day

Love you can make conclusions that its Blizzard Fanboys with zero PROOF.. Could it be that the legions of Diablo owners all pissed at the game are hitting the site to sign up for the Beta??

Y'know it could be just that...

Who's the fucker now?

32. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 11:31 deqer

CythrawL wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:28:

Actually thats NOT the engine, thats Server to client latency issues (IE LAG). It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Game Engine and has EVERYTHING to do with the Server -> Client code... Get a grip!!!

31. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 11:28 CythrawL

150 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo