Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend

Surely coincidental with the recent release of rival Diablo III, the Torchlight II Website announces this weekend will be a stress test for Runic's action/RPG sequel, as they will evaluate the burden the game will place on their infrastructure and everyone's mouse buttons (thanks AusGamers via VG247). Here's word:

Hi Everyone! We've been busy squashing bugs and deploying patches - 8, in fact! - since our last update. The Torchlight II beta is going really well, and is nearing its end. But before we go, we're going to do a wide network stress test this weekend! We'll be sending out many more beta codes to those who have already made their Runic Games Account. Haven't signed up yet? Go for it now! Creating your account is always your best chance to receive a beta invite - especially this weekend.

The Beta Weekend will start on Friday, May 18th at 11:00am PDT and go until Tuesday, May 22nd at 11:00am PDT. We will be staggering invitations to let participants know they have been chosen, but you will not be able to play until the start of the Beta Weekend on Friday. This is to help stagger downloading of the game client.

The beta will end shortly after this last big network test. We are going to get the last information we need for stress testing, and then get back to finishing the game! A longer beta means a longer wait until we can ship, and we are eager to finish Torchlight II and get it in your hands. Thanks to all our fans who've supported us, participated in, and promoted the beta. It's incredibly fulfilling to see you guys play the game and enjoy it as much as we do.

View
150 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

150. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 21, 2012, 17:50 Ant

Story? Who cares.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

149. Re: Signed up! May 21, 2012, 17:46 ASeven

Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:09:
ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:58:
Orogogus wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:48:
ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:43:
I always find these type of comments deliciously ironic because the devs making T2 are the same ones that made D1 and 2, therefore they are the ones that built Diablo as the powerhouse it is today.

Whoever made it, Torchlight really did have an utterly bland background. Is this something they're going to improve on in T2?

If the beta is an indication, oh yes very much so.

Just want to note that I was underwhelmed on this front in the stress test. As far as atmosphere and storyline goes, I thought it was maybe one step above free Flash games. For reference, did you like the opening cinematic they released a few weeks ago?

Rather indifferent but those guys do not have money to go Blizz CGI style of intros.

For me, the game seems to be as light on story as most ARPGs, T2 still has substantial more story than T1 even if that means nothing in the end.

148. Re: Signed up! May 21, 2012, 17:09 Orogogus

ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:58:
Orogogus wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:48:
ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:43:
I always find these type of comments deliciously ironic because the devs making T2 are the same ones that made D1 and 2, therefore they are the ones that built Diablo as the powerhouse it is today.

Whoever made it, Torchlight really did have an utterly bland background. Is this something they're going to improve on in T2?

If the beta is an indication, oh yes very much so.

Just want to note that I was underwhelmed on this front in the stress test. As far as atmosphere and storyline goes, I thought it was maybe one step above free Flash games. For reference, did you like the opening cinematic they released a few weeks ago?

147. Re: I played about 1.5 hours of Torchlight 2 beta by myself. May 20, 2012, 23:31 Ant

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 20, 2012, 23:19:
Ant wrote on May 20, 2012, 23:04:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 20, 2012, 22:54:
Ant wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:50:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:41:
Ant wrote on May 20, 2012, 19:57:
\[gets slimed]

HA! Love it!
I wonder how many people will get catch that joke.

Probably only us old people
We're old gamers!

My friend got slimed, but I didn't have any trouble getting around it - I strafe-triple jumped. (an ode to Ant and his servers of old)
/me kneels and aims for Batman's head for the kill.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

146. Re: I played about 1.5 hours of Torchlight 2 beta by myself. May 20, 2012, 23:19 xXBatmanXx

Ant wrote on May 20, 2012, 23:04:
\[gets slimed]

HA! Love it!

We're old gamers!

My friend got slimed, but I didn't have any trouble getting around it - I strafe-triple jumped. (an ode to Ant and his servers of old)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

145. Re: I played about 1.5 hours of Torchlight 2 beta by myself. May 20, 2012, 23:04 Ant

\[gets slimed]

HA! Love it!

We're old gamers!

144. Re: I played about 1.5 hours of Torchlight 2 beta by myself. May 20, 2012, 22:54 Wowbagger_TIP

\[gets slimed]

HA! Love it!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

143. Re: I played about 1.5 hours of Torchlight 2 beta by myself. May 20, 2012, 20:50 Ant

\[gets slimed]

HA! Love it!

142. Re: I played about 1.5 hours of Torchlight 2 beta by myself. May 20, 2012, 20:41 xXBatmanXx

\[gets slimed]

HA! Love it!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

141. I played about 1.5 hours of Torchlight 2 beta by myself. May 20, 2012, 19:57 Ant

It's fun like its original game. Graphics are still cartoonish and not detailed, but fun. Beta required to be online, but it does have offline single player option (greyed out). I played solo. The game kept losing the sound effects (music was fine). According to the beta forum, this is a known issue for Windows XP users. Will I get the full game due to lack of free time (had to stop playing!)? I don't know. [gets slimed]  

140. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 20, 2012, 15:40 nin

eunichron wrote on May 19, 2012, 15:09:
Ok, I gave the beta a couple hours of play today, and I really, really, tried to get into it, but there were things that I just couldn't get over.

Played for maybe 30-45 minutes...kind of hack and slash burnt out at the moment, obviously, but I wanted to at least see it in action. Based on your points:

I'm in favor of a skill tree. Still not wild about the D3 redesign in that regard.

Wasn't overly wild about the charge bar. I'd rather just put points into a skill that grants a smaller, always on boost. Does a bar mean I'm supposed to run around farming guys until I'm at 95% and THEN go to the boss?

Pets are always cool. Nice that there's more variety this time. Also nice that you can pick from male or female as your character.

Re loot, specifically the windows. I hope we can make those smaller. Felt too big.

I agree about the art style. While it didn't really bother me in the first game once I got used to it, it looks like they've taken it several steps further this time. On the one hand, things are a lot more colorful, but on the other the animated cartoon look almost reminds me of a browser or FB game. Like everything is screaming for your attention. I wish they'd tone it down a bit, but I doubt they will.

Overall I guess maybe my hopes were set a little too high? I'll still buy it to support them, and I'm sure it'll be fun. But what's there feels like "been there, done that" and what's new I'm not wild about...

This comment was edited on May 20, 2012, 15:49.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

139. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 20, 2012, 09:05 Bhruic

- The classes are generic and the skill points are shallow. The standard warrior/mage/rogue types. Nothing special, nothing new. Skill points do nothing more than give you a small damage increase per point. The abilities are likewise, generic and shallow.

I especially agree with this one. So I put one point in, I get 5 damage for all elemental types, and a 10% chance of DoTs. I put another point in and I get... 5 damage for all elemental types, and an 11% chance of DoTs? Seriously? There are quite a few skills like that, and it really makes me wonder why I'd every bother putting more points into such skills.

It's not even better than Torchlight 1, it's just the same with a larger game area.

I enjoyed Torchlight 1, so more of it isn't necessarily bad, but I must admit I'm struggling to see what they've "improved" with 2. I mean, yes, outdoor areas, but in terms of gameplay nothing has really stood out. I was expecting them to have some new features or refinements on old ones, but it's hard to tell I'm actually playing a new game.

So while I like it, I'm a bit disappointed compared to what my expectations were.

138. Re: Signed up! May 20, 2012, 00:21 ASeven

jdreyer wrote on May 19, 2012, 23:55:
Sepharo wrote on May 19, 2012, 20:53:
Prez wrote on May 18, 2012, 18:57:
As much as I want to play this one, I hate playing betas. I'll just wait for the release. Impatiently.

Same here. I don't need convincing, since I already got the game for $15, I'll just wait for the finished product.

Well, from my experience so far (lvl 17 embermage), the "beta" is finished code. I've experienced no bugs, crashes, glitches, or other issues AT ALL. But yeah, come May 22, you won't be able to play anymore, so if that annoys you, best not try it out.

Indeed. For a beta it's pretty rock solid. It's pretty much ready for release.

137. Re: Signed up! May 19, 2012, 23:55 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on May 19, 2012, 20:53:
As much as I want to play this one, I hate playing betas. I'll just wait for the release. Impatiently.

Same here. I don't need convincing, since I already got the game for $15, I'll just wait for the finished product.

Well, from my experience so far (lvl 17 embermage), the "beta" is finished code. I've experienced no bugs, crashes, glitches, or other issues AT ALL. But yeah, come May 22, you won't be able to play anymore, so if that annoys you, best not try it out.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

136. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 19, 2012, 23:45 xXBatmanXx

Woot! Got a key, installing now, hope to get to it tomorrow!!!  

135. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 19, 2012, 21:55 Wowbagger_TIP

eunichron wrote on May 19, 2012, 20:35:
ASeven wrote on May 19, 2012, 20:18:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 19, 2012, 19:37:
ASeven wrote on May 19, 2012, 17:12:
Dades wrote on May 19, 2012, 16:34:
All things considered, the game to me is not better than Diablo 3. It's not even better than Torchlight 1, it's just the same with a larger game area. But what do I know? I'm just a Blizzard shill who can't see how amazingly brilliant Runic is for using 16 year old game design choices. At the very least they have the decency to not charge more than $20 for it.

Anyone who disagrees with your take on the game is obviously accusing you of being a shill, that's totally the same thing Rolleyes

And most of the downsides he mentions for T2 can be easily assigned to D3 as well.
Yeah, had to remind myself he was talking about TL2 rather than D3 once I got past the Alchemist point.

To be honest, Path of Exile has the best implementation of potion using IMO. You only get 5 flasks, period, which can be used for healing or mana or special powers but you only get 5 of them. You can drink them anytime but are only replenished by killing enemies. At least this way potions are limited to 5 slots only and it adds quite an edge to the gameplay.

I know I mentioned earlier that I hated Path of Exile when I played it, but the potion system I actually really liked... I also liked that the entire economy was based on a barter system rather than gold.

Now, if only someone could make a game with Diablo's story and art style, Path of Exile's potion system and economy, and Torchlight's pets... and an abilities/skill system that is both varied and meaningful... well that would be the pinnacle of ARPGs.
I'm wondering if PoE might eventually have pets anyway. They already give you those Kiwi things that follow you around, they just don't do anything yet. Seems like they could make them useful at some point.

I like PoE's skill system better than either D3 or TL2 as well. I'm curious what it will be like by the time we get to open beta, which will probably be early July. The game has been getting better by the week lately. Fun to see it evolving.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

134. Re: Signed up! May 19, 2012, 20:53 Sepharo

133. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 19, 2012, 20:35 eunichron

ASeven wrote on May 19, 2012, 20:18:
All things considered, the game to me is not better than Diablo 3. It's not even better than Torchlight 1, it's just the same with a larger game area. But what do I know? I'm just a Blizzard shill who can't see how amazingly brilliant Runic is for using 16 year old game design choices. At the very least they have the decency to not charge more than $20 for it.

Anyone who disagrees with your take on the game is obviously accusing you of being a shill, that's totally the same thing Rolleyes

And most of the downsides he mentions for T2 can be easily assigned to D3 as well.
Yeah, had to remind myself he was talking about TL2 rather than D3 once I got past the Alchemist point.

To be honest, Path of Exile has the best implementation of potion using IMO. You only get 5 flasks, period, which can be used for healing or mana or special powers but you only get 5 of them. You can drink them anytime but are only replenished by killing enemies. At least this way potions are limited to 5 slots only and it adds quite an edge to the gameplay.

I know I mentioned earlier that I hated Path of Exile when I played it, but the potion system I actually really liked... I also liked that the entire economy was based on a barter system rather than gold.

Now, if only someone could make a game with Diablo's story and art style, Path of Exile's potion system and economy, and Torchlight's pets... and an abilities/skill system that is both varied and meaningful... well that would be the pinnacle of ARPGs.

132. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 19, 2012, 20:18 ASeven

131. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 19, 2012, 19:37 Wowbagger_TIP

150 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo