Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Video Diary

A new Community Video #3 for XCOM: Enemy Unknown is titled "Modernising A Classic," as it looks at reimagining the strategy classic for modern computers (thanks VG247). In the clip the game's lead programmer Casey O'Toole talks of his experiences with the original X-COM and the ways he feels they have "enhanced" the aspects of the game that they liked, and removed elements they didn't like or were "tedious," the capabilities of their new game engine, and more.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Video Diary May 19, 2012, 05:06 Kedyn

I hope they bring over brutality - the fact that the original X-COM was like Oregon Trail, in that you had to start over five or six times just to get a hang of the game is what I love about X-COM, and why I'm playing it for the first time now.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Video Diary May 19, 2012, 04:56 Bradley

It just can't be said enough. Go here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts and fund it if you haven't already. Try the fully playable demo first. This game needs more press.  

7. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Video Diary May 18, 2012, 21:03 Jerykk

space captain wrote on May 18, 2012, 14:38:
fawker wrote on May 18, 2012, 12:08:
rightfully cautious, cross-platform games have a pretty spotty record, at best

the original x-com was also released on playstation

It was ported to Playstation after the original PC release, so it had no impact on any of the design decisions for the PC version. Sadly, that's not how multiplatform development works these days. Multiplatform games are generally designed for consoles, along with their hardware limitations, interface and audience.

That said, Firaxis has a strong PC track record and they've repeatedly stated that the PC version will have its own unique UI, so that's a good sign.

6. Re: Foolzatch@gmail.com May 18, 2012, 16:18 ibm

Rain wrote on May 18, 2012, 15:13:
I'm looking forward to Xenonauts.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts

As indecisive about Kickstarter things as I am, I paid my preorder price for that.

5. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Video Diary May 18, 2012, 15:37 Fletch

I've pretty much lost intereest in this game now. All I want is X-Com updated for today's computer. Removing things they find "tedious", multi-platform release, limited squad size, adding features that give the game a more action-oriented feel to appeal more to the ADD console kiddies...

All I want is an updated X-Com. I don't care how little it costs you to do it, I'll pay full price for the thing. I don't want you REIMAGINING the game like some other developers have tried. I don't trust that the changes and "improvements" you will make won't change the game into something decidedly unX-Com. I don't care if you were fans of the original. Those jackholes who reimagined it as a FPS also claimed to be fans of the original. I don't trust you to not f*ck up the interface in consideration of consoles.

Aww, f*ck it. I'll just fire up the original again. Maybe someone will update Incubation someday.

4. Foolzatch@gmail.com May 18, 2012, 15:13 Rain

I'm looking forward to Xenonauts.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

3. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Video Diary May 18, 2012, 14:38 space captain

fawker wrote on May 18, 2012, 12:08:

the original x-com was also released on playstation

Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Video Diary May 18, 2012, 12:08 fawker

1. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Video Diary May 18, 2012, 10:28 InBlack

Hmmmmmmmm....Cautiosly optimistic about this game.  

I have a nifty blue line!

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo