Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots

The Imagination Engine: Why Next-Gen Video Games Will Rock Your World on Game-Life is a Wired.com article with a look at the Unreal 4 engine that includes a bunch of screenshots of Epic's next-generation tech in action. They also offer first-hand impressions of seeing a demo reel for the engine. Here's a bit:

In previous engines, one floating ember was enough to slow performance considerably; a shower of them was impossible. With Unreal Engine 4, there can be millions of such particles, as long as the hardware is potent enough to sustain them. Game developers overuse features of every new engine, because they are suddenly so easy to implement. In the original Unreal Engine, for example, the ability to render colored lighting led to a rash of games that employed the effect. The same may prove true for UE4′s particle effects, for better or worse. (“Mark my words,” Bleszinski says, “those particles are going to be whored by developers.”)

In one 153-second clip, the Epic team has packed all the show-off effects that have flummoxed developers for years: lens flare, bokeh distortion, lava flow, environmental destruction, fire, and detail in landscapes many miles away. Plus, it’s breathtakingly photo-realistic—or would be if demon knights were, you know, a real thing.

But that’s just the opening scene. After the cinematic, Epic’s senior technical artist, Alan Willard, starts playing the demo. At this point the view switches to that disembodied first-person perspective made so ubiquitous by shooting games like the Call of Duty franchise and Epic’s own influential Unreal titles. Willard maneuvers his avatar into a dimly lit room where a flashlight turns on, revealing eddies of dust—thousands of floating particles that were invisible until exposed. In another room, globes of various sizes float in the air. Willard rolls a light-emanating orb along the floor (think of a spherical flashlight that rolls like a bowling ball) and beams of light wobble and change direction, illuminating parts of the room and revealing the clusters of floating spheres with a kind of strobe effect. At first it all seems perfectly familiar: “Well, yeah,” you think, “that’s how they’d act in the real world. What’s the big deal?” But it is a big deal: This is stuff that videogames have never been able to simulate—the effects simply aren’t possible on today’s consoles.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 16:48 Fletch

MadBoris wrote on May 17, 2012, 22:26:
My PC is ready and waiting.

No kidding. For about the last 5-6 years or so.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 14:45 Kastagir

I miss the good old days of id Software and Epic silently competing for the most technically-advanced engine showcased by the most interesting story - developed on the platform that could best utilize these advancements: the PC. Now it seems that neither of them are able to take their eyes off the market-share number associated with consoles. This is probably why I haven't purchased a game from either company in nearly a decade.  

40. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 12:08 Orogogus

WaltC wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:07:
Beamer wrote on May 18, 2012, 09:14:

Hard facts and data like the average Xbox 360 age being 35-44?
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/23/new-study-compares-360-ps3-consumers/

Hey, let's keep calling everyone that does something we don't like "kiddies!" I hate those Olive Garden Kiddies, and those Japanese Luxury Car Kiddies, and those Grapefruit Juice Kiddies!

LoL...;) Joystiq says the research done is "somewhat sparse" and then links to "earthtimes.org", which is, of course, an environmental rag with apparently a lot of hate for human beings and computer technology--but that's beside the point, anyway. The point was that the joystiq link only returns a "page not found" error, instead of the actual survey. But I guess you didn't try to read the actual article the joystiq article is based on. They may correct the error, but as of 2 minutes ago, that's what you get when you follow the joystiq link. I make it a habit to always follow such links just to see if the article is honest about what it reports the *other article* said...;)
The Joystiq article states that the research was done by the Experian Group, which is a well known industry research provider. Their reports are extremely not free, and this one was probably not supposed to be posted online. But the title of the report shows up in Google search, and I don't really have any reason to doubt the 35-44 number.

39. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 10:52 ASeven

WaltC wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:07:

Hey, let's keep calling everyone that does something we don't like "kiddies!" I hate those Olive Garden Kiddies, and those Japanese Luxury Car Kiddies, and those Grapefruit Juice Kiddies!

LoL...;) Joystiq says the research done is "somewhat sparse" and then links to "earthtimes.org", which is, of course, an environmental rag with apparently a lot of hate for human beings and computer technology--but that's beside the point, anyway. The point was that the joystiq link only returns a "page not found" error, instead of the actual survey. But I guess you didn't try to read the actual article the joystiq article is based on. They may correct the error, but as of 2 minutes ago, that's what you get when you follow the joystiq link. I make it a habit to always follow such links just to see if the article is honest about what it reports the *other article* said...;)

When Internet kiddies grow up one of the first things they learn is not to believe everything they read...;)

Consoles in particular, because their cpus/gpus and general hardware resources are so limited, have been holding back the state of 3d game-engine development for years. I gave up on Epic when Epic gave up on the PC. There are several developers of note who have *recently* made a great deal of money writing great games for the PC, and they haven't been shy about reporting it, either. But this article surprised me, as I had no idea just how full of s**t Epic, and particularly Cliffy, is! No idea! Unreal.

Easy now, you're making sense and logic. Beamer hates that.

38. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 10:07 WaltC

When Internet kiddies grow up one of the first things they learn is not to believe everything they read...;)

Consoles in particular, because their cpus/gpus and general hardware resources are so limited, have been holding back the state of 3d game-engine development for years. I gave up on Epic when Epic gave up on the PC. There are several developers of note who have *recently* made a great deal of money writing great games for the PC, and they haven't been shy about reporting it, either. But this article surprised me, as I had no idea just how full of s**t Epic, and particularly Cliffy, is! No idea! Unreal.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

37. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 10:00 necrosis

Wow! They did not demo the engine by rendering hot chicks.  

36. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 09:47 NewMaxx

Jerykk wrote on May 17, 2012, 23:06:
If MS/Sony were smart, they'd put at least 4 gigs of memory in there but I can almost guarantee that they won't.

Interesting article/research on memory utilization in over-buffered situations:
http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2209336

As for UE4, I have to agree that it looks underwhelming, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. XBox 720 is just around the corner (next year), if the prototype SDK rumors are true.

This comment was edited on May 18, 2012, 09:59.

35. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 09:45 Necrophob

Tim Sweeney seems to have a very small head in one of those pictures. It sort of reminds me of the scene from Beetlejuice where there's the witchdoctor and the shrunken head dude in the afterlife waiting room.  

34. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 09:14 Beamer

ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 09:01:
Beamer wrote on May 18, 2012, 08:59:
ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 08:23:
Hell, if the 6670 rumors are true than most PCs bought over the last year will end up being a lot more powerful than any next gen console.

Should be fun to watch the console kiddies reactions when they find out the next gen isn't that different from current gen, all the while adding the block of used games, more expensive games and more than likely having to always be connected to the net at all times.

It's always hard to take seriously someone using the term "console kiddies."

It's like the idiots that say "M$" or the ones that, 10 years ago, t#0ug#+ tYpInG l1K3 tH1Z WuZ AwESuM!"

Or apologists that ignore all hard facts and data.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 09:01 ASeven

Beamer wrote on May 18, 2012, 08:59:
Hell, if the 6670 rumors are true than most PCs bought over the last year will end up being a lot more powerful than any next gen console.

Should be fun to watch the console kiddies reactions when they find out the next gen isn't that different from current gen, all the while adding the block of used games, more expensive games and more than likely having to always be connected to the net at all times.

It's like the idiots that say "M$" or the ones that, 10 years ago, t#0ug#+ tYpInG l1K3 tH1Z WuZ AwESuM!"

Or apologists that ignore all hard facts and data.

32. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 08:59 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 08:58 wonkawonka

A couple of points:

1- the demo was made specifically to show what could not be done until now. And mostly that means totally dynamic lighting from a massive number of different sources. Screenshots don't show anything. What this means for devs is that they can build dynamic environments (read: destructible) without worrying about how shadows and lighting will look like when that torch that was on the wall is gone since the wall has come down.

2- next-gen consoles will at best be at the level of 80% of release-date-current top-of-the-line PCs. Which means as usual that within a couple of years most PCs will be more powerful. Within 5 years they become a joke, just like we've got now. What I'm really worried about is how the Epic guys are scared that we won't even reach the 80% power! More like 50% because they need to keep the costs down.

Which to me means only one thing: re-fragmentation of the gaming market, with the most advanced games coming on PCs, then consoles mass market and tablets just slightly behind. In fact tablets may well become indistinguishable from consoles at some point in the near future.

30. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 08:23 ASeven

29. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 06:13 Lorcin

I really need a rolling demo of this to download - I'm sitting here on a 2 year old pc with one year left on the finance and from the look of those screenshots it's not going to need upgrading next year.

I really hope my then 3 year old PC can beat the next-gen consoles as it will enable me to laugh most heartily when he mates or son start going on about the Xbox 3/PS4.

28. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 06:02 Killer Kane

Those screenshots are extremely unimpressive  

27. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 03:18 Jerykk

MS would be smart to drop out of the console race and focus on their core OS business and PC gaming, but that would make sense.

Sadly, MS stands to make more money with a console than on PC. For one, they get $10 for every X360 disc created. They also get a cut for everything sold on XBLA. And then they make a significant profit from the XBL Gold fees. They couldn't do any of these things on PC where consumers actually have choices. They tried to do it with GFWL and we all know how that ended up. As for their OS business, MS is going to sell tons of copies of Windows regardless of gaming. Almost every business uses Windows and the majority of consumers use it too. The vast majority of applications are designed for Windows. If you want to use Visual Studio, which 99% of developers use for coding, you need to use Windows. MS already has a firm grip on the OS market so they don't really need to put any more effort into it.

While it would be great if MS dropped out of the console business and put all their money into promoting PC gaming, it doesn't make any business sense for them to do so.

26. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 03:10 eRe4s3r

and probably still a hardcoded broken ass FOV and aspect implementation  

25. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 03:03 Raptor

Cutter wrote on May 18, 2012, 02:40:
The fact Epic is already saying the new next-gen consoles aren't nearly powerful enough says it all. Sony and MS want to come in at around the $300 mark without losing their shirts subsidizing said consoles. However, the sort of juice they really need would put said consoles at round $600. If that's the case people may as well just buy PCs. Hey, there's an idea. A device that does everything a console does and more! You can do actual work on it if you like! It's also upgradeable too which means devs don't have to keep making ugly ass games for old, non-upgradeable consoles!!!

MS would be smart to drop out of the console race and focus on their core OS business and PC gaming, but that would make sense.

Amen to that !
But then there's not enough money to be had and games would get good again and so many great things would happen that life just can't allow it.

24. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 02:40 Cutter

The fact Epic is already saying the new next-gen consoles aren't nearly powerful enough says it all. Sony and MS want to come in at around the $300 mark without losing their shirts subsidizing said consoles. However, the sort of juice they really need would put said consoles at round $600. If that's the case people may as well just buy PCs. Hey, there's an idea. A device that does everything a console does and more! You can do actual work on it if you like! It's also upgradeable too which means devs don't have to keep making ugly ass games for old, non-upgradeable consoles!!!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

23. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 02:22 Shataan

"The interesting bit is that we're getting so close to photorealism that 'improved graphics' as a selling point is about to hit a wall."

We have the ability to get pretty close, but game dev teams are no longer pushing hard to make new engines that utilize our vid cards anymore. And haven`t been for a few years imo.

IMHO the wall you speak of was hit 5 years ago.

I used to have to buy a new card every year to take advantage of the new effects game devs were putting in their game engines. But that ended about 5 years ago. For the past 5 years I used a GTX 295. Cause there has been no reason to upgrade.

From then till now we have seen nothing but regurg. Hopefully with Mechwarrior Online using the new Cry3 Engine, we will start to see some new next gen visuals coming our way this year from other Developers. But even then, it`s doubtful. I finally upgraded to an EVGA 680 GTX SC. But I still don`t think we will see anything that requires this kinda horsepower for another year. Maybe 2.

The posted shots of Unreal 4s stuff looks late dated ass btw.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo