Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

On Sale

Game Downloads Mayhem - 12 Days of Dynamite Deals on Amazon (thanks Batman via Cheap Games Deals). Is it me, or does Amazon hide these things?

• Take On Helicopters on Steam. Save 50%.
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Franchise on Steam. Save 75%.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 14:37 Dev

Blue wrote on May 18, 2012, 08:06:
Dev wrote on May 18, 2012, 02:27:
Blue, you missed a ton of stuff (dozens of titles on big sales at amazon).

Well I posted the link to the Amazon sale. Would it have been better to actually the list dozens of individual titles here?
Probably not, but listing ARMA2 woulda been a good idea from the growing Day Z popularity

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 14:10 Orogogus

nin wrote on May 18, 2012, 13:31:
The problem may be that I'm just not a huge fan of the genre.

Yeah, I can't really help ya there.

Fair enough. My thinking is that if a game can be modded to create new gametypes, like TD, DotA or the obligatory zombie mod, then that's noteworthy. If it's limited to changing some in-game values, minor graphics additions, new guns, that kind of thing, then I can take it or leave it. Nice if it's there, no big deal if it's not. I like the Dead Space games, but I don't think any significant mods have come out of them.

28. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 14:03 PHJF

From the Bohemia forums:

There seems to be an issue with gamespy not receiving some of the new Amazon CD Keys (which then means they failed to authenticate) we're working on the problem right now.

Wasn't somebody just the other day deriding me for calling ArmA 2 a broken mess of a game?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

27. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 13:31 nin

The problem may be that I'm just not a huge fan of the genre.

Yeah, I can't really help ya there.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: Amazon 12 Days of Deals May 18, 2012, 13:19 xXBatmanXx

Shok wrote on May 18, 2012, 08:41:
PHJF wrote on May 18, 2012, 00:00:
Well I'm having a nightmare getting it to run. Most of the guides on setting up DayZ assume you are using Steam.

On top of that, I can't play Operation Arrowhead online at all because it fucking says "invalid cd key" every time I attempt to join a server. ArmA2, however, works fine. Problem being DayZ must be run from Operation Arrowhead. So now I'm redownloading the 6.21GB from Amazon and trying a fucking reinstallation of Arrowhead.

DayZ only works with Combined Operations not Arrowhead AFAIK. I have the STEAM version but have you followed the retail instruction on this page?

I believe you just need BOTH games...not the actual COMBINED OPS package....right?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

25. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 12:21 Orogogus

nin wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:57:
Were there great mods for D2, Titan's Quest, Torchlight or others in the genre?

I can't speak for the others but TL had a huge mod following, including some released by the devs themselves.

What did they do? I probably got my $5 worth, but I didn't get through the game before I started thinking, programming some kind of bot to play the game for me would be more fun than actually playing it. Come to think of it, a scripting engine like that would be the kind of mod I could really get behind.

After going to Google, I took a look at http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/downloads.php/. I guess it's about what I expected. Items, vendors, pets, rebalancing, etc. The problem may be that I'm just not a huge fan of the genre. Fun enough in co-op, but Progress Quest is the only thing I can think of when I'm playing solo. Consequently I'm browsing through 800 TL mods and just thinking, meh.

24. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 12:04 Creston

Orogogus wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:53:
Creston wrote on May 18, 2012, 01:08:
Frahg wrote on May 17, 2012, 21:39:
It's all because of the supposedly awesome Day Z mod. Zombie survival, check it out: dayzmod.com

And this is why NOT supporting mods is the dumbest fucking thing you can do.

*looks at Blizzard, and several others.*

Creston

Some games are more suitable than others. I'd think Blizzard would actually have a reputation for being relatively mod-friendly, what with tower defense and Defense of the Ancients both coming out of their games. Item mods aside, Diablo 3 seems only slightly more suitable than an adventure game. Were there great mods for D2, Titan's Quest, Torchlight or others in the genre?

Torchlight has an absolute assload of mods, some of which basically overhaul the entire game. Diablo 2 itself had quite a few mods out for it, the most useful of which just showed you where the damn stairs were, so you didn't have scour all over the level for hours trying to find it. Of course, that was considered a "cheat" by Blizzard. Rolleyes

Creston

23. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 11:57 nin

Were there great mods for D2, Titan's Quest, Torchlight or others in the genre?

I can't speak for the others but TL had a huge mod following, including some released by the devs themselves.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 11:53 Orogogus

Creston wrote on May 18, 2012, 01:08:
It's all because of the supposedly awesome Day Z mod. Zombie survival, check it out: dayzmod.com

Creston

Some games are more suitable than others. I'd think Blizzard would actually have a reputation for being relatively mod-friendly, what with tower defense and Defense of the Ancients both coming out of their games. Item mods aside, Diablo 3 seems only slightly more suitable than an adventure game. Were there great mods for D2, Titan's Quest, Torchlight or others in the genre?

21. Re: Amazon 12 Days of Deals May 18, 2012, 10:15 zombiefan

I got Combined Ops from the Amazon sale and was able to successfully run DayZ. Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded the 2 packages from Amazon (Arma2 and Arma2 Oper. Arrowhead)
2. Installed Arma2 first.
3. Installed Arma2 OA.
4. Ran Arma2, started a campaign, then exited.
5. Ran Arma2 OA, started a campagn, then exited.
6. Downloaded the 1.60 patch, found here: http://www.arma2.com/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=folder&Itemid=20

7. Patched the game making sure both went to 1.60 (it will do OA first for some reason)
8. Re-ran each game again, checking version numbers.
9. Downloaded the DayZ files, found here: www.dayzmod.com
10. Made new directory under the Arma 2 root. Called it: @dayz
11. Created directory under @dayz called: Addons
12. Extracted all DayZ files to the newly made Addons folder.
13. Sent Arma2 Combined Operations icon to desktop as shortcut.
14. Opened shortcut and added: -nosplash -mod=@dayz after the target line (after the quotes)
15. Ran new shortcut. You should see @dayz on the right hand side of screen.
16. Went to multiplayer, then clicked on filter. Type in "dayz" without quotes. This will list only dayz servers.
17. Pick one and play.
The servers seem to have a lobby system, so you need to hit OK again once you get to a lobby. You should eventually get into a game.

20. Re: Amazon 12 Days of Deals May 18, 2012, 08:41 Shok

Well I'm having a nightmare getting it to run. Most of the guides on setting up DayZ assume you are using Steam.

On top of that, I can't play Operation Arrowhead online at all because it fucking says "invalid cd key" every time I attempt to join a server. ArmA2, however, works fine. Problem being DayZ must be run from Operation Arrowhead. So now I'm redownloading the 6.21GB from Amazon and trying a fucking reinstallation of Arrowhead.

DayZ only works with Combined Operations not Arrowhead AFAIK. I have the STEAM version but have you followed the retail instruction on this page?

19. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 08:06  Blue 

Dev wrote on May 18, 2012, 02:27:
Blue, you missed a ton of stuff (dozens of titles on big sales at amazon).

Well I posted the link to the Amazon sale. Would it have been better to actually the list dozens of individual titles here?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

18. Re: On Sale : Amazon Sale May 18, 2012, 04:55 J

My monthly gaming budget has already been exhausted, thanks nin  

17. Re: On Sale : Amazon Sale May 18, 2012, 03:26 Jerykk

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 18, 2012, 02:48:
Highlights from the sale include:

Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition - $4.99
Serious Sam 4: BFE 4 Pack - $29.99
Civilization IV: Complete - $7.99
The Stronghold Collection - $4.99
Metro 2033 - $4.99
Medal of Honor - $4.99
Bioshock - $4.99
Bioshock 2 - $4.99
Battlestations Midway - $4.99
+ 100's MORE!

You can actually get a Bioshock 1+2 combo pack for $7.50. Great deal if you haven't played them yet. There's also an Eidos pack that includes Kane & Lynch 2, Tomb Raider: Underworld, Supreme Commander 2, Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light and Just Cause 2 for $7.50. K&L2 and SC2 aren't that great but the rest of the pack is good stuff.

16. Re: On Sale : Amazon Sale May 18, 2012, 02:48 xXBatmanXx

Highlights from the sale include:

Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition - $4.99
Serious Sam 4: BFE 4 Pack - $29.99
Civilization IV: Complete - $7.99
The Stronghold Collection - $4.99
Metro 2033 - $4.99
Medal of Honor - $4.99
Bioshock - $4.99
Bioshock 2 - $4.99
Battlestations Midway - $4.99
+ 100's MORE!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

15. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 02:42 xXBatmanXx

Nice link Dev.  

14. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 02:27 Dev

Blue, you missed a ton of stuff (dozens of titles on big sales at amazon). The most important being Arma2
Amazon official rep constantly updates this page with the latest deals:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317580
He also spells out exactly which ones are steam games and which aren't (some games have both versions avail to buy on amazon, one steam and one not).
He also mentions an amazon policy I didn't know they had, if you run out of installs on a product with limited installs (like securom limited installs) they will give you another cd key, no charge. So if anyone dislikes the install limit of securom, amazon is a good place to get those games from.

13. Re: Amazon 12 Days of Deals May 18, 2012, 02:21 Dev

jimnms wrote on May 18, 2012, 01:18:
Why would you rather have this on Steam when the Amazon download is DRM free?
Convenience?

12. Re: Amazon 12 Days of Deals May 18, 2012, 01:18 jimnms

Don't you backup the installers? That would save a hell of a lot of time for future re/installs. I picked up ArmA Combined Ops from Amazon back in the 2010 xmas sale for $12.50 and have played online with a couple of friends several times. You might need to contact Amazon and get a new key.

The Half Elf wrote on May 17, 2012, 22:43:
Damn thanks, I'll wait for a Steam sale as I already have ARMA II on that and honestly have no interest in buying the game again, but I really would like to try out dayz.

Why would you rather have this on Steam when the Amazon download is DRM free?

Steam Profile

11. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 01:08 Creston

Creston

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo