Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads

Hi-Rez Studios announces that the client for Tribes: Ascend has been downloaded more than one million times since the launch of the multiplayer shooter sequel a bit over a month ago. "We’re thrilled that over 1 million gamers have discovered the fast-paced and skill-based gameplay of Tribes," said Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios Chief Operating Officer. "It is truly the player support of the title that has driven the population growth and fuels our team to deliver updates."

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

28. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:58 Matshock

Frijoles wrote on May 16, 2012, 13:46:
Matshock wrote on May 16, 2012, 11:25:
Long story short- this game is going to need siege mode if it is to have a longer-term appeal.

Having never played T1 and vague memories of T2, what's siege mode?

If I remember correctly- 2 generators buried deep in a base- first team to shut down both enemy generators at the same time wins.

They could even implement several bases and do a BF Rush-style game...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:58 MadBoris

Overon wrote on May 16, 2012, 13:41:
I love Tribes Ascend. I am level 30. It's the only first person shooter where almost every weapon shot feels like a skill shot. That's probably because almost all the weapons are not hitscan and thus have travel time and you really have to lead your shots more so than other games when you are just compensating for ping lag.

Team stacking is a problem in pubs. I think if they added a "random" team joining button, it would go a long way toward balancing the teams.
I also wish that they made it easier to vote kick and especially mute players, right from the GUI. Maybe they will eventually. I hope so.

I had to mirror all your points too.
There is just a few things they should do to remove some of these bad issues.

I had a guy repeating the same phrase all match, people wouldn't kick him. Apparently the GUI says F6, but I heard kick is actually F7. They deserve to lose lots of money and players over that obvious issue they didn't address.
WOT has a mute option, simple, but where is it Tribes?

I have not experienced the thrill of a hitting someone flying through the air in other games, since the original Tribes. Where you just know intuitively in XYZ space where to shoot a moving target and the thrill of those hits is just amazing at times.

26. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:56 RaZ0r!

I was very skeptical, but this game turned out great. If you played Tribes 1 at all you should for sure check it out.  

25. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:52 MadBoris

Steele Johnson wrote on May 16, 2012, 13:14:
It turned out to be a very good game indeed. And probably the best free-to-play model I've ever seen. Other companies should follow.

Agreed.

From someone that has a consistent distaste for online persistent games, due to the greed/psych manipulation behind it (including the fall to f2p), I was impressed.

If you can get past a few bad matches and not hit quit, there are great and amazing ones to come. They have training grounds and custom servers, more than one should expect for F2P.

I suggest people choose a good class, then take time to just learn it by playing through entire matches without changing. If you aren't having fun try another class, it changes the game. Try technician if your team can keep their generator on.
Start with something like base/generator defense to learn the game.

Now a days, I change maybe between 3 classes regularly in a match, sometimes several times a minute if required.
Sometimes I still play one class all match, because it's just fun.

It's actually a huge learning curve for this game, I think we forget that.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 14:01.

24. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:46 Frijoles

Matshock wrote on May 16, 2012, 11:25:
Long story short- this game is going to need siege mode if it is to have a longer-term appeal.

Having never played T1 and vague memories of T2, what's siege mode?

23. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:43 Hellbinder

Wildone wrote on May 16, 2012, 12:11:
This game is ugly as shit and when I played, I had a laser gun that was definitely firing at sub light speed, slower than bullets in fact it was useless. Pass.

I am like.. wow... I simply can not understand at all some of the posters here. How can you consider this game ugly? what the hell do you consider not ugly? there are variations in between games graphics but your coment is freaking RETARDED.

You are, seriously, an idiot.

The Whales name is Bob.

22. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:41 Overon

I love Tribes Ascend. I am level 30. It's the only first person shooter where almost every weapon shot feels like a skill shot. That's probably because almost all the weapons are not hitscan and thus have travel time and you really have to lead your shots more so than other games when you are just compensating for ping lag.

Team stacking is a problem in pubs. I think if they added a "random" team joining button, it would go a long way toward balancing the teams.
I also wish that they made it easier to vote kick and especially mute players, right from the GUI. Maybe they will eventually. I hope so.

21. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:39 MadBoris

Veterator wrote on May 16, 2012, 12:03:
I play a couple matches nearly every day for the Win of the Day XP bonus. Besides that, it still has a major problem with team stacking. It's really irritating. If I play 5 matches in a day it's because the first four were so stacked there was no chance of winning, so then I stack with the rest, win and quit.

It's not even fun steamrolling the other team, it's certainly not fun being steam rolled, but they just keep on stacking. These are LOOOONGGG term players doing this crap. Having a couple platinum or max rank players + 5 more gold players against your 1 gold, handful of silvers and the rest bronze is BS and they need to fix it on pubs.

Yeah, the steamrolling can happen with just one awesome flag capper on the right map, and a team that is in dissaray. Unfortunate. I've been steamrolled with great players on my team, and post game showed no stacking.

Stacking was an issue for me weeks ago. You can always tell when people are stacking a game during team choosing. Lately, I can't say I have run into it, I'm always checking afterwards too.

I don't see it as much after I saw it mentioned on the forums, some people know it would kill the game. It is a weakness of the game, so better matchmaking would be preferred, while they still have the player numbers to segregate by level(playtime) better.

If I get in a click with certain players I don't want to be with (map rotation will often keep same people together in MM) then I just exit the server, re-enter and I don't have the same people. Sometimes I have to get away from elite snipers and cappers that are OP, IMO, more balanced games are fun.

20. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:30 The Pyro

Steamrolling
I have mixed feelings re: steamrolling. It sucks to be on the receiving end, but Tribes is a team-oriented game and it makes no sense to discourage friends from playing on the same team. Built-in VoIP would mitigate the issue IMO, as then it would be possible to achieve a similar level of coordination (if not skill) with a random group of pubs. Then again that might just be my L4D-inspired addition to voice support.

Graphics/Performance
Fair criticism; the game performs VERY poorly for the level of eye candy that you get. This is literally the only game in my entire library that I run at a non-native resolution to get a decent framerate*. I wouldn't call it ugly, but the graphics are not groundbreaking in any way.

They seriously need to optimize this sucker. Smoke effects in particular are a major bottleneck.

* Performance is playable at native resolution, but when sniping I'm at a disadvantage due to low fps. Therefore I run it at a lower resolution to maintain 60 fps.

EDIT: My comments on performance may have been a little harsh. Performance isn't too bad if I'm just flying around the map; it's the explosions and smoke effects (mostly the smoke) that kill it. The issue is non-trivial, though, because smoke and explosions tend to occur at the times when you need good framerates the most.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 13:38.

19. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:17 Steele Johnson

"This game is ugly as shit and when I played, I had a laser gun that was definitely firing at sub light speed, slower than bullets in fact it was useless. Pass."

Tribes is skill-based game, so yeah, you're probably not the type of player for this game. Can I recommend another game for you? Call of Duty.

18. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:14 Steele Johnson

It turned out to be a very good game indeed. And probably the best free-to-play model I've ever seen. Other companies should follow.  

17. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:10 Flatline

Matshock wrote on May 16, 2012, 12:31:
That's the problem though- it takes at least 5 people who are good at flag defense AND choose to do it vs. 1 that barely knows how to cap. If both teams actually get enough defense people then things get interesting.

Part of this I blame on map/game design. Most flags are seriously placed out in the open in ski ramp paths to facilitate difficult defense. Lone wolf flag cappers can dominate because the maps are designed to let them dominate. It used to be you'd have to send skirmishers and heavies in to take out base defenses before the flag capper could roll in and cap.

And while bases still feel on the small side, generator defense/offense feels pretty good actually. There just needs to be a need for an offensive game aside from flag capping.

For example, I want to see something like the original Broadside, where the flags are *inside* the base, and pathfinder flag capping isn't an option. The only problem is that the community would *freak* if they did something like that (while I'd squeal with joy, because for something like that heavies suddenly become flag cappers).

16. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:03 fatguy

I've really been enjoying it. It has a high skill ceiling, which is becoming rarer and rarer in games imo, and a good match can be really intense. Though as others have said, there are gonna be a lot of matches where one team completely steamrolls the other.

Also I have been in games where teams have very good defense, I don't agree with flag capping being easy if a solid defense is in place.

15. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:03 Flatline

This game is ugly as shit and when I played, I had a laser gun that was definitely firing at sub light speed, slower than bullets in fact it was useless. Pass.

n00b.

14. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 12:47 deqer

Wow. Way to fail at such an easy and fun game.

13. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 12:35 MadBoris

I play a few games everyday.
Great game. Tons of re-playability, the major con is you play on the internet against other people.

I was enjoying playing a Tech on some maps for a long time (complete surprise to me).
Loved playing brute, especially with a couple nice perks.
I purposely went weeks without playing a pathfinder, the rush is intense, it opened a new game.
I only just started playing infiltrator.

I actually dislike infiltrators and snipers, it ruins some great game mechanics in terms of base attack/defense. IMO

The roles do open a new game up, unfortunately base defenses and generators don't mean much on some maps due to it coming down to snipes and cappers.

The game doesn't do well on public with the kids without lives that play 12 hours a day. Because of them, the game play is changing into the usual win at any expense, coming down to capping and sniping. I feel sorry for new people coming on wanting to have fun.

It's poor matchmaking for new people, playing with those who have had hundreds of hours. Your hurting your game.

It's time to forget Tribes 1 & Tribes 2, leave them behind, time to advance this game to keep it fun or the OCD kids will oust themselves and paying customers.

Oh, and in terms of graphics, a few tweaks and it looks amazing.

12. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 12:31 Matshock

That's the problem though- it takes at least 5 people who are good at flag defense AND choose to do it vs. 1 that barely knows how to cap. If both teams actually get enough defense people then things get interesting.

Siege mode is where it's at- it demands coordinated attack/defense in order to win. I remember T2 games that were an hour long until someone managed to coordinate an offense.

11. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 12:30 Jerykk

Jackplug wrote on May 16, 2012, 12:16:
I find most maps boring and lacking in Tribes 1 standard. I find the speed of the game far too slow and there is no way to stop spammers unless you stop and type their name into the console, which is pathetic. Teamplay is none existant and isnt worth playing other than for a quick blast.

Are you talking about T1 or T:A?

10. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 12:16 Jackplug

I find most maps boring and lacking in Tribes 1 standard. I find the speed of the game far too slow and there is no way to stop spammers unless you stop and type their name into the console, which is pathetic. Teamplay is none existant and isnt worth playing other than for a quick blast.  

9. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 12:13 fawker

Ah, not cookie-cutter cod enough for you?

Projectile based guns kinda separates the men from the boys, in terms of skill.

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo