Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads

Hi-Rez Studios announces that the client for Tribes: Ascend has been downloaded more than one million times since the launch of the multiplayer shooter sequel a bit over a month ago. "We’re thrilled that over 1 million gamers have discovered the fast-paced and skill-based gameplay of Tribes," said Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios Chief Operating Officer. "It is truly the player support of the title that has driven the population growth and fuels our team to deliver updates."

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

48. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 15:52 Flatline

Hump wrote on May 16, 2012, 14:23:
1 million downloads. Too bad there isn't more than 100 people playing at peak times.

Hi-Rez has done a remarkable job bringing the game back but I'm starting to suspect that the newer generation of gamers just aren't interested in this kind of game any longer.

1/10 on the trolling effort.

I never have a problem ending up in full servers even at 3 in the morning.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 16:00.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 15:51 Flatline

Wildone wrote on May 16, 2012, 15:02:
No. It felt like a game from 2001, ugly, weird weapons that fire too slow or ineffective. I guess you can 'get used to it' but theres no point.

1998 actually

And go back to COD 7: we aren't even pretending any more.

I'll stick to tribes.

46. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 15:51 MadBoris

PHJF wrote on May 16, 2012, 15:36:
Maybe there would be more teamwork if the game had voice com.

What year is this again?

It will be a nice addition, although public matchmaking games would become to surgical I think, less fun for those that don't have serious time to devote to make Tribes a lifestyle. Steamrolling may become too easy with a few good players.

I'd rather allow the public game be fun, rather than provide a home for people who just obsessively play as if it's life, making it too competitive. They just had some 30k competiton a few days ago, I watched a bit, aren't those clans using teamspeak or something?

45. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 15:50 Creston

I really need to download this and start playing, as I genuinely loved Tribes back in the days (I even loved Tribes 2, until they "patched" the performance issues by putting a fucking clipping layer on every level that made Turok on the N64 look like Just Cause 2 in comparison.)

Argh... TOO MANY GAMES.

Creston

44. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 15:44 MadBoris

MrMcNasty wrote on May 16, 2012, 15:30:
I've been playing for a while now and I was a big fan of T1 and T2. I feel Tribes Ascend has done a good job with the weapons considering the game revolves around 3 dimensions of movement. You don't want the weapons to be near instantaneous because that would totally negate the jetpack and skiing aspect of the game (which makes it so unique). Skill (aka learning curve) comes into play as you learn to lead your targets with the slower projectile weapons while skiing, jet packing, ducking, dodging and throwing grenades all at the same time.(remember your opponent is doing the same as well). It takes time to learn these maneuvers as most FPS games go for a more realistic style of combat.

IMO, there are a few "roles" that successful team members naturally fall into:

-Offense

-Cappers (People who excel at skiing and know how to maneuver the terrain to get the best speed possible. They grab the flag and get back to base as quickly as possible)
-Harassers (People who like to take out generators/turrets/radar and generally make sure the defense is running around like mad men.)
-Support (This role defends the flag carrier on his way back to base)

Defense

-Chasers (Players who chase after an opponent who has the flag, keeping the pressure on him and whittling his health down during the long chase since he cannot regen health.)
-Defenders (Players who guard assets such as the generator room or the flag, usually in charge of repairing as well)
-Roaming Defense (Players who counter the harasser role by making sure the defense isn't getting pummeled via long range weapons)

Just my 2 cents on Tribes Ascend strategy.

Good stuff. I do them all at one time or another, that is what makes the game amazingly diverse to me. I play for the versatility.

One thing I would like to add that I believe is necessary at times is:

-Man to Man- When you have a sniper or super effective player, constant harassment can negate their effect, which is otherwise quite an impact for their team.

Today there was a sniper leading the opposing team in kills, stopping flag cappers too easily, he needs no stinking aim bot. It was necessary for me to go infiltrator on him to get to his position and keep taking him out. I made that my consistent goal because someone had to, then he had to change and adapt, but his effectiveness dropped considerably, then the flow of game changed. Double teaming Koby is a good strat at times.

43. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 15:36 PHJF

Maybe there would be more teamwork if the game had voice com.

What year is this again?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

42. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 15:35 MadBoris

Steele Johnson wrote on May 16, 2012, 15:26:
The Pyro wrote on May 16, 2012, 13:30:
Steamrolling
I have mixed feelings re: steamrolling. It sucks to be on the receiving end, but Tribes is a team-oriented game and it makes no sense to discourage friends from playing on the same team. Built-in VoIP would mitigate the issue IMO, as then it would be possible to achieve a similar level of coordination (if not skill) with a random group of pubs. Then again that might just be my L4D-inspired addition to voice support.

Graphics/Performance
Fair criticism; the game performs VERY poorly for the level of eye candy that you get. This is literally the only game in my entire library that I run at a non-native resolution to get a decent framerate*. I wouldn't call it ugly, but the graphics are not groundbreaking in any way.

They seriously need to optimize this sucker. Smoke effects in particular are a major bottleneck.

* Performance is playable at native resolution, but when sniping I'm at a disadvantage due to low fps. Therefore I run it at a lower resolution to maintain 60 fps.

EDIT: My comments on performance may have been a little harsh. Performance isn't too bad if I'm just flying around the map; it's the explosions and smoke effects (mostly the smoke) that kill it. The issue is non-trivial, though, because smoke and explosions tend to occur at the times when you need good framerates the most.

That's interesting. I have no performance problems on my 6 year old machine running Vista with a 1.5 year old graphics card. No problems at all.

I just did a test on my rig. I'm pretty heavily tweaked and running basic supersampling. Everything else at max.

The map I was on was Drydock.
I run Vsynch on, with d3doverrider.

1GB in game texture memory in use.
I varied between 50-60 fps, mostly 60.
When a lot of explosions were going on at the enemy base at the flag I dipped to 47 as my low.
Other times flying I was just maxing 60 fps with vsynch on.

I'm sure there are maps that are harder on hardware but my experiences are pretty good.

I'm pretty sure there may be maps and places I may dip to 30 as my worst case, but that is how I wanted to tweak it graphically. Out of the box, I'm sure I'd be singing at 60fps all the time, so I'm curious about your experience too.

41. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 15:30 MrMcNasty

I've been playing for a while now and I was a big fan of T1 and T2. I feel Tribes Ascend has done a good job with the weapons considering the game revolves around 3 dimensions of movement. You don't want the weapons to be near instantaneous because that would totally negate the jetpack and skiing aspect of the game (which makes it so unique). Skill (aka learning curve) comes into play as you learn to lead your targets with the slower projectile weapons while skiing, jet packing, ducking, dodging and throwing grenades all at the same time.(remember your opponent is doing the same as well). It takes time to learn these maneuvers as most FPS games go for a more realistic style of combat.

IMO, there are a few "roles" that successful team members naturally fall into:

-Offense

-Cappers (People who excel at skiing and know how to maneuver the terrain to get the best speed possible. They grab the flag and get back to base as quickly as possible)
-Harassers (People who like to take out generators/turrets/radar and generally make sure the defense is running around like mad men.)
-Support (This role defends the flag carrier on his way back to base)

Defense

-Chasers (Players who chase after an opponent who has the flag, keeping the pressure on him and whittling his health down during the long chase since he cannot regen health.)
-Defenders (Players who guard assets such as the generator room or the flag, usually in charge of repairing as well)
-Roaming Defense (Players who counter the harasser role by making sure the defense isn't getting pummeled via long range weapons)

Just my 2 cents on Tribes Ascend strategy.

40. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 15:26 Steele Johnson

The Pyro wrote on May 16, 2012, 13:30:
Steamrolling
I have mixed feelings re: steamrolling. It sucks to be on the receiving end, but Tribes is a team-oriented game and it makes no sense to discourage friends from playing on the same team. Built-in VoIP would mitigate the issue IMO, as then it would be possible to achieve a similar level of coordination (if not skill) with a random group of pubs. Then again that might just be my L4D-inspired addition to voice support.

Graphics/Performance
Fair criticism; the game performs VERY poorly for the level of eye candy that you get. This is literally the only game in my entire library that I run at a non-native resolution to get a decent framerate*. I wouldn't call it ugly, but the graphics are not groundbreaking in any way.

They seriously need to optimize this sucker. Smoke effects in particular are a major bottleneck.

* Performance is playable at native resolution, but when sniping I'm at a disadvantage due to low fps. Therefore I run it at a lower resolution to maintain 60 fps.

EDIT: My comments on performance may have been a little harsh. Performance isn't too bad if I'm just flying around the map; it's the explosions and smoke effects (mostly the smoke) that kill it. The issue is non-trivial, though, because smoke and explosions tend to occur at the times when you need good framerates the most.

That's interesting. I have no performance problems on my 6 year old machine running Vista with a 1.5 year old graphics card. No problems at all.

39. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 15:17 MadBoris

Shataan wrote on May 16, 2012, 15:10:
I`d have to agree, the game is pretty dated looking atm. And as much as I loved Tribes 1, Assend doesn`t make me wanna boot it up. I am glad peeps are digging it tho. Considering the sorryazz state of PC gaming, we need something that at least partly delivers.

Yet, if you saw my game running, I'm sure your opinion would be completely different. I do remember it needing some definite tweaking, but that feels long ago for me now, so I don't remember.
Combinaton of cfg file tweaks and nvidia inspector. Night and day for me over their streaming terrain pop garbage in that xbox UT engine. I disabled their terrain streaming, so I preload the terrain, and run supersampling AA, etc.

This is why we run PC. There is no game I have gotten in recent memory (BF3, Batman, WOT, Tribes, etc.), that I don't raise quality beyond in game settings significantly.

People can't accept the fps hit to increase the graphics, it's a mp competitive game after all, so most people want fps over graphics, understandably.

I don't mind playing at 30 fps and the game looking golden, atleast as far as I can go on gtx 480. As someone who likes to leverage my hardware, I can see why 60 fps is better than more juicy graphics for most people in this game, more than most.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 15:22.

38. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 15:10 Shataan

I`d have to agree, the game is pretty dated looking atm. And as much as I loved Tribes 1, Assend doesn`t make me wanna boot it up. I am glad peeps are digging it tho. Considering the sorryazz state of PC gaming, we need something that at least partly delivers.  

37. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 15:09 MadBoris

I haven't had any problems either, and I play at some weird ass hours.

You can even find a custom server full, playing one map 24/7 like Tarturus on east coast at all hours.

P.S. To whom it may concern, as someone from Cali, east coast 'custom' servers seem more populated than west, FYI. You can change your region to east coast.

36. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 15:02 Wildone

No. It felt like a game from 2001, ugly, weird weapons that fire too slow or ineffective. I guess you can 'get used to it' but theres no point.  

35. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 14:31 NKD

Jerykk wrote on May 16, 2012, 14:28:
1 million downloads. Too bad there isn't more than 100 people playing at peak times.

Hi-Rez has done a remarkable job bringing the game back but I'm starting to suspect that the newer generation of gamers just aren't interested in this kind of game any longer.

Where'd you get that number from? I never have issues finding packed servers, regardless of time of day, so I imagine there are probably more than 100 people playing at any given time.

I haven't had any problems either, and I play at some weird ass hours.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

34. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 14:30 Matshock

Jerykk wrote on May 16, 2012, 14:28:

Where'd you get that number from? I never have issues finding packed servers, regardless of time of day, so I imagine there are probably more than 100 people playing at any given time.

He trollin'

33. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 14:28 Jerykk

32. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 14:23 Hump

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

31. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 14:16 Veterator

MadBoris wrote on May 16, 2012, 13:58:
I had a guy repeating the same phrase all match, people wouldn't kick him. Apparently the GUI says F6, but I heard kick is actually F7. They deserve to lose lots of money and players over that obvious issue they didn't address.
WOT has a mute option, simple, but where is it Tribes?

I had some issues with this took me awhile to find it. You need to go to the tilde screen command prompt thing and type in /mute <player name>

It seems to last as long as the guy is on the server with you. You can also block players, but I don't know the command line option for it.

And yes I think the lack of GUI options (until the end of the match......WTF) to mute and kick people is stupid.

And the f5 for yes and f6 for no or whatever has been fixed...so it says the correct keys when it prompts for a vote. I saw it in the patch notes, but have yet to have had the chance to use it since it's been fixed (supposedly).

30. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 14:15 Jerykk

T:A's leveling system is pretty unbalanced. You aren't just unlocking different weapons and items. You're unlocking upgrades for these weapons and items. A fully upgraded Soldier has a significant advantage over a Soldier with no upgrades. As such, high-level players will always have an inherent gear advantage over lower-level players, in addition to being more skilled. That's part of the reason why team stacking is such an issue.  

29. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 14:10 Veterator

MadBoris wrote on May 16, 2012, 13:39:

Yeah, the steamrolling can happen with just one awesome flag capper on the right map, and a team that is in dissaray. Unfortunate. I've been steamrolled with great players on my team, and post game showed no stacking.

Stacking was an issue for me weeks ago. You can always tell when people are stacking a game during team choosing. Lately, I can't say I have run into it, I'm always checking afterwards too.

I don't see it as much after I saw it mentioned on the forums, some people know it would kill the game. It is a weakness of the game, so better matchmaking would be preferred, while they still have the player numbers to segregate by level(playtime) better.

If I get in a click with certain players I don't want to be with (map rotation will often keep same people together in MM) then I just exit the server, re-enter and I don't have the same people. Sometimes I have to get away from elite snipers and cappers that are OP, IMO, more balanced games are fun.

Well today for instance, played two matches. The average team level on one side was around 25 on the other is more like 10-15. The higher side had 4 gold ranks a bunch of silver and a couple bronze. My side had one gold and about half and half silver and bronze. The server died after the second round, it booted me to queueing again. I'm guessing so many just said f-it.

What's funny is that the guys STACKING were complaining it was boring, I mean seriously...stop stacking and try to spur some competition.

So I quit for awhile, got into another server and it was stacked too....4-5 golds on one side...1-2 on mine (1 left early on). So again we're getting dominated 2-3 matches. Then a platinum rank shows up....we win one, and all those gold players stacking before are now stacking to the platinum guys side.

People stack because they get more XP for winning, their multiplier is higher. And if you can just dominate the other team you can pick up a pretty high score come end of the round, especially if you don't facilitate flag capping...making it take longer so you can get a higher score to go with the win multiplier.

It's not fun, and it's literally the reason I play this game less than I used to. 75% of the time, it's a stacked game. Anytime I find a server that isn't stacking I play longer...but it's harder and harder. The high level players are horrible about stacking...wounds their pride to lose.

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo