Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads

Hi-Rez Studios announces that the client for Tribes: Ascend has been downloaded more than one million times since the launch of the multiplayer shooter sequel a bit over a month ago. "Were thrilled that over 1 million gamers have discovered the fast-paced and skill-based gameplay of Tribes," said Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios Chief Operating Officer. "It is truly the player support of the title that has driven the population growth and fuels our team to deliver updates."

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

88. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 18, 2012, 03:47 Jerykk

People can defend the wonky TA physics all they want. At the end of the day whether you favored T1, or T2. Both games allowed for the extreme maximum in movement control and jetting. Excellent momentum (classic for T2). Neither one of them had chase issues. They had a higher intensity threshold compared to TV/TA. The chase skirmishes in TA are nowwhere near as exciting as they are in T1/T2. That's one of the best parts about the high level of play in Tribes.

I don't disagree. T1 is still the fastest and most high-flying shooter in existence and will likely never be matched. That said, chasing is still possible in T:A. It's just harder.

As for arbitrary restrictions, I agree. I don't like speed caps or class-based loadout restrictions or giant barriers around the battlefield or two-weapon limits or unlockables. Some of the design choices were very clearly based on their microtransaction business model. However, being a F2P multiplayer game, they do have the ability to make significant changes to the game's mechanics. Although the game pales in comparison to T1, I still think it's pretty fun and more interesting than all the generic military shooter drivel we see these days. I'm hoping they'll continue to tweak the game and make it more like T1.

This comment was edited on May 18, 2012, 03:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

87. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 18, 2012, 00:56 Beaner

Jerykk wrote on May 17, 2012, 23:40:

So now we have Tribes Ascend and the same frickin problem exists. bad physics for chasing, auto regen, and hey lets add no team damage while we are at it.

The lack of friendly fire balances out when it comes to defense. Sure, cappers no longer have to worry about friendly mortar spam, but HoFs don't have to worry about getting pummeled by friendly LD fire either. The health regen kinda has the same effect. Chasers can regen while chasing while cappers can't heal at all unless they drop the flag. This gives chasers the benefit of being able to disc-jump multiple times. I play a Soldier with the Egocentric perk and I can disc-jump three times starting from full health, which is usually enough to catch up to the capper unless the map is really small and he's moving really fast. Health regen also means that defense never has to leave their position to heal, but it also makes it much easier for HO to harass from long-range because they can just keep healing, forcing someone on defense to leave their position and actively engage them. If they just increased the boost you get when disc-jumping from a standstill, that would solve a lot of issues.

It's weird that T1 was naturally balanced while the rest of the games haven't been. T2 massively favored defense, what with everything having tons of shields and the base turrets being pretty OP. Also, homing missiles everywhere. T:V favored offense, with disc-jumping from standstill being largely ineffective and the grapple allowing cappers to make drastic and sudden changes in direction. T:A favors offense as well, though the force fields, jammers and Super Heavy perk do make it more balanced than T:V. T1 had perfect balance. Cappers could move at supersonic speeds and fly off into the stratosphere, but defense had mine-discing and body-blocking to counter that. The freeform loadout system and ability to carry more than two weapons also empowered defense, as you could effectively snipe, chase and defend your base all in a single loadout.

People can defend the wonky TA physics all they want. At the end of the day whether you favored T1, or T2. Both games allowed for the extreme maximum in movement control and jetting. Excellent momentum (classic for T2). Neither one of them had chase issues. They had a higher intensity threshold compared to TV/TA. The chase skirmishes in TA are nowwhere near as exciting as they are in T1/T2. That's one of the best parts about the high level of play in Tribes.

This comment was edited on May 18, 2012, 01:05.

86. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 18, 2012, 00:49 Beaner

There are things in TA that will require a new kind of mindset to play. I understand that. What I hate is that this mindset does not allow any player to go full out with their skillset. Its forced down to try and balance the game out for newbies. It's like watching Nascar and forcing everyone to run 4 cylinder turbo engine so any joe six pack can join the race.

I much prefer what they did in T2. They added a lot of things that will appeal to new players and help them along the way as they improve. Mortars, missiles, elf gun, vehicles, deployables etc. All things that will appeal to newbies without sacrificing the extreme's in the movement and physics that many long time players have come to love about tribes. Its just not the same in TA and it kind of makes the game blow.

85. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 17, 2012, 23:40 Jerykk

Orogogus wrote on May 17, 2012, 14:23:
Jackplug wrote on May 17, 2012, 14:13:
T:A has the physics is all wrong for a Tribes game. It seems that if you are travelling fast in one direction and then fly upwards off a ramp, then try to steer left you cant cos of the momentum and you fly away from you intended target. When playing Tribes 1, you had very good control when doing the same thing.

Useless none listening devs as usual, who noob the game so everyone can play it without having high learning curve..

From the way you describe it, the T:A method would be the higher learning curve.

I think the skiing in T:A actually does have a higher learning curve. The jetpack provides far less vertical boost than it did in the previous games and disc-jumping barely provides any boost unless you already have a decent amount of momentum. As Jackplug mentioned, it's also harder to change direction.

So now we have Tribes Ascend and the same frickin problem exists. bad physics for chasing, auto regen, and hey lets add no team damage while we are at it.

The lack of friendly fire balances out when it comes to defense. Sure, cappers no longer have to worry about friendly mortar spam, but HoFs don't have to worry about getting pummeled by friendly LD fire either. The health regen kinda has the same effect. Chasers can regen while chasing while cappers can't heal at all unless they drop the flag. This gives chasers the benefit of being able to disc-jump multiple times. I play a Soldier with the Egocentric perk and I can disc-jump three times starting from full health, which is usually enough to catch up to the capper unless the map is really small and he's moving really fast. Health regen also means that defense never has to leave their position to heal, but it also makes it much easier for HO to harass from long-range because they can just keep healing, forcing someone on defense to leave their position and actively engage them. If they just increased the boost you get when disc-jumping from a standstill, that would solve a lot of issues.

It's weird that T1 was naturally balanced while the rest of the games haven't been. T2 massively favored defense, what with everything having tons of shields and the base turrets being pretty OP. Also, homing missiles everywhere. T:V favored offense, with disc-jumping from standstill being largely ineffective and the grapple allowing cappers to make drastic and sudden changes in direction. T:A favors offense as well, though the force fields, jammers and Super Heavy perk do make it more balanced than T:V. T1 had perfect balance. Cappers could move at supersonic speeds and fly off into the stratosphere, but defense had mine-discing and body-blocking to counter that. The freeform loadout system and ability to carry more than two weapons also empowered defense, as you could effectively snipe, chase and defend your base all in a single loadout.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2012, 23:53.

84. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 17, 2012, 18:54 Veterator

T:A has the physics is all wrong for a Tribes game. It seems that if you are travelling fast in one direction and then fly upwards off a ramp, then try to steer left you cant cos of the momentum and you fly away from you intended target. When playing Tribes 1, you had very good control when doing the same thing.

Useless none listening devs as usual, who noob the game so everyone can play it without having high learning curve..

Try tapping jetpack as you turn instead of holding. I see people doing that a lot when I watch them play and it seems to me that it helps me turn faster. Although I had a bad tendency to hold the button when Im concentrating on following or shooting instead of movement.

83. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 17, 2012, 16:01 PHJF

It seems that if you are travelling fast in one direction and then fly upwards off a ramp, then try to steer left you cant cos of the momentum and you fly away from you intended target. When playing Tribes 1, you had very good control when doing the same thing.

That's because once you reach a certain speed the game shifts to an entirely separate physics set, one where the jetpack is completely fucking useless.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

82. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 17, 2012, 15:53 Crustacean Soup

Jerykk wrote on May 17, 2012, 05:41:
Also, if you have a decent HoF, it's going to be really hard for lone cappers to make the grab. Mainly because the Super Heavy perk is so overpowered and will kill the capper if he collides with the HoF. Force-fields are also pretty effective at stopping cappers.

I've flag grabbed by skimming over a HoF's head. If he doesn't see you approaching (he's following another player, for instance), he might not hop up to block. I'm pretty sure I managed that without the Reach perk, and I'm not a great capper (my routes usually bring me in at around 200, up to 220). The forcefields are a great help against lone wolfs though, unless it's one of the very open-flag maps where they can be avoided.

The physics obviously aren't trying to straight-up ape Tribes 1 or 2, but I like the feeling nonetheless. There's enough control that you can manoeuvre around nicely, but not so much that it's dead easy.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2012, 16:01.

81. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 17, 2012, 14:23 Orogogus

From the way you describe it, the T:A method would be the higher learning curve.

80. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 17, 2012, 14:13 Jackplug

79. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 17, 2012, 06:17 Beaner

Jerykk wrote on May 17, 2012, 05:41:
Yeah, this is a big issue for defense. Unless you already have a decent amount of momentum, disc-jumps are pretty worthless. Cappers already have momentum when they grab the flag so it's not an issue for them but for LD/MD, it's pretty annoying.

I've been through beta's for T2, Tribes Vengeance and Legions. I'm just shocked that the same problems with a 4th tribes game still exists.

We all know the story of T2 and its soupy slow base physics. Fortunately that was fixed by community players with classic or base++. At least base T2, as slow as it was, was still smooth chasing.

With TV Irrational seemed to be a bit clueless about the concept of chasing. It was non existent except on the smallest maps. Momentum from a disc and stand still was utter crap.

Than Legions comes around. Same problem. Bad momentum, easy Llama grabs crappy chasing and of course they added auto regen which caused other problems. They kept blaming the problem on the map designs. The game played best on very small maps for that reason. They did improve on it to the point where it was close to T2C but we know what happened to legions.

So now we have Tribes Ascend and the same frickin problem exists. bad physics for chasing, auto regen, and hey lets add no team damage while we are at it. I don't get it. Usually I wouldn't fret much because I know at some point community players will improve by tweaking the game properly. Zodd/Zod did it with T2. Rapher did it to some extent with TV. Unfortunately that isn't ever going to happen with Tribes Ascend. That's a big difference.

78. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 17, 2012, 05:41 Jerykk

I don't know how long some of you have played tribes but blaming these issues just on map design is false. There were plenty of maps in T1 and T2 where the flag was in a wide open space open to fast routes. (Canyon Crusade anyone?) It was never that big an issue. Part of the problem is that there is no ability to kill the capper at the flag stand. No ability for LD to mine disc kill someone coming in for a lame attempt. In T1/T2, cappers actually had to run a good timed route to get a clean grab and escape. In Ascend, most any fumble bumb can llama grab with very little issue.

While the absence of mine-discing is sorely noted, you can somewhat compensate with a grenade-disc combo. It's just much harder to pull off because the grenade throwing is a lot slower than in previous games and you can't blow up your grenades with the disc. You just have to time it right so both the grenade and your disc explode right when the capper reaches them.

Also, if you have a decent HoF, it's going to be really hard for lone cappers to make the grab. Mainly because the Super Heavy perk is so overpowered and will kill the capper if he collides with the HoF. Force-fields are also pretty effective at stopping cappers.

Secondly I don't know why, but every frickin non dynamix tribes game has issues with chasing. Why is it that in T1/T2 you could move to chase from a stand still after a capper coming in full speed. A quick disc jump and chase. It was weak in Tribes Vengeance and its weak in Tribes Ascend. Is this suppose to be Tribes or what?

Yeah, this is a big issue for defense. Unless you already have a decent amount of momentum, disc-jumps are pretty worthless. Cappers already have momentum when they grab the flag so it's not an issue for them but for LD/MD, it's pretty annoying.

77. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 17, 2012, 05:34 Beaner

Flatline wrote on May 16, 2012, 13:10:
Matshock wrote on May 16, 2012, 12:31:
That's the problem though- it takes at least 5 people who are good at flag defense AND choose to do it vs. 1 that barely knows how to cap. If both teams actually get enough defense people then things get interesting.

Part of this I blame on map/game design. Most flags are seriously placed out in the open in ski ramp paths to facilitate difficult defense. Lone wolf flag cappers can dominate because the maps are designed to let them dominate.

I don't know how long some of you have played tribes but blaming these issues just on map design is false. There were plenty of maps in T1 and T2 where the flag was in a wide open space open to fast routes. (Canyon Crusade anyone?) It was never that big an issue. Part of the problem is that there is no ability to kill the capper at the flag stand. No ability for LD to mine disc kill someone coming in for a lame attempt. In T1/T2, cappers actually had to run a good timed route to get a clean grab and escape. In Ascend, most any fumble bumb can llama grab with very little issue.

Secondly I don't know why, but every frickin non dynamix tribes game has issues with chasing. Why is it that in T1/T2 you could move to chase from a stand still after a capper coming in full speed. A quick disc jump and chase. It was weak in Tribes Vengeance and its weak in Tribes Ascend. Is this suppose to be Tribes or what?

In an attempt to make the game more casual it has brought about other balance issues that make this game less appealing for real competitive play. Who can honestly take this game serious when you have auto regen and no team damage? when every capper can llama in for a grab and pop away with some nitrons. Its more like s shiny variant of Shifter/Renegades.

76. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 23:10 Matshock

The extra loadouts do have some tactical value- when someone on the other team launches a shrike I switch over from spinfusors to hit scan weapons then go duck hunting.  

75. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 22:29 Jerykk

eunichron wrote on May 16, 2012, 22:19:
Jerykk wrote on May 16, 2012, 22:11:
I think the biggest issue with the current system is that it doesn't really have longevity. Once you've unlocked everything for any given class, there's not much else you can do with that class. However, if they switched to a LoL-style upgrade system where you could mix and match upgrades as you saw fit, there would be a lot more flexibility and lot more variety in builds. They have the right idea with the perk system (except for the fact that you can upgrade perks) and they just need to extend that idea to the armor, weapon and item upgrades.

Just in the last patch they added custom kits that you can unlock for 5200 experience (4 custom kit slots per class + the default kit). I haven't bothered unlocking any yet so I don't know just how much customization there is, but it's there.

[EDIT]

Just asked my friend who has unlocked a few, they're just kit shortcuts so you don't have to go in an manually modify the kit whenever you spawn... so not any more customization than was already there.

I'm pretty sure those are just for convenience rather than versatility. You still have access to all the same weapons, items, perks, etc. The custom loadouts just lets you switch between the loadouts faster than manually going into the default loadout and switching things there.

Edit: Whoops, responded without reading the edit.

74. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 22:19 eunichron

Jerykk wrote on May 16, 2012, 22:11:
I think the biggest issue with the current system is that it doesn't really have longevity. Once you've unlocked everything for any given class, there's not much else you can do with that class. However, if they switched to a LoL-style upgrade system where you could mix and match upgrades as you saw fit, there would be a lot more flexibility and lot more variety in builds. They have the right idea with the perk system (except for the fact that you can upgrade perks) and they just need to extend that idea to the armor, weapon and item upgrades.

Just in the last patch they added custom kits that you can unlock for 5200 experience (4 custom kit slots per class + the default kit). I haven't bothered unlocking any yet so I don't know just how much customization there is, but it's there.

[EDIT]

Just asked my friend who has unlocked a few, they're just kit shortcuts so you don't have to go in an manually modify the kit whenever you spawn... so not any more customization than was already there.

73. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 22:11 Jerykk

There are a lot of interesting builds that could be made if the following generic upgrades were available (and if each armor/weapon/item had three upgrade slots):

Armor:
-10% Mass
+10% Mass
+10% Health
+10% Health Regen Speed
-10% Health Regen Delay
+10% Energy
+10% Energy Regen Speed
+10% Resistance to AoE Damage
+10% Resistance to Ballistic Damage
+10% Resistance to Melee Damage
+10% Resistance to Self-Damage
+10% Weapon Switch Speed

Weapons/Items:
+10% Ammo Capacity
+10% Splash Radius
+5% Damage
+10% Firing Rate
+10% Projectile Speed

So if I wanted to be a light capper, I could upgrade my armor to -30% mass. Or +30% Resistance to Self-Damage if I like to disc/grenade jump a lot. Or +30% Energy. Or any combination of the above. The key is to offer players a wide variety of potential builds to try out, giving them incentive to unlock more upgrades.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 22:20.

72. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 21:53 MadBoris

All your points are valid.
Side grades/opening new styles is fine, although hard to define. It's kind of how it felt at first for me, until things like the plasma showed up OP for a day.

I never meant to sound like I like 240G and 100,000XP for a better weapon, I guess I did at times.

71. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 21:12 Jerykk

Trying to make the best competitive game turns out fail, a lot of times that is the reason IMO. It should be made fun. It doesn't have equal-sided maps/bases, it can never be balanced.

You can make a game fun while making it balanced for competitive play. Personally, I don't think it's much fun to have weapons and items inaccessible until you reach a certain level. Also, with the rigid matchmaking system that you propose, the community would be very fragmented.

And yes making the game progressively change as people level up is a new direction in this genre, I knew it would scare people weeks ago when I thought of it.

Not sure what you're talking about. Unlockables in multiplayer shooters have been around since BF2 and are standard since CoD. It's not a new idea. Once again, the key to keeping unlockables somewhat balanced is to ensure that nothing is inherently superior. There shouldn't be upgrades, there should be side-grades, providing more options for different playstyles.

And I wouldn't say the community is stuck in Tribes tradition at all. The whole class and unlockable system is a huge change, as are the health regen, physics, barriers surrounding the environment, spawning with loadouts, etc. There have been a large number of significant changes that aren't faithful to the series at all. If the community was clinging to tradition, T:A wouldn't have so many players.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 21:20.

70. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 21:03 MadBoris

shihonage wrote on May 16, 2012, 20:53:
MadBoris wrote on May 16, 2012, 20:13:
No tangible benefit = No incentive to buy in my book.

No direct upgrade does not mean "no tangible benefit". You merely get an option to change to a weapon that suits your playstyle better, without suddenly making you KING.

The Jugg chaingun upgrade is pretty ridiculous now. They can deliver Doombringer-style damage to light/medium armors in open field, PLUS they have a functional OTHER WEAPON - the mortar.

Well, I never meant to say I wanted a lot of difference, that is obviously bad. I have went back and forth on this myself through the weeks. Too much difference like the sale of the Plasma is bad, it also changed the role of Raider quite a bit..

69. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 20:58 MadBoris

"No no no. Unlockables should never be level-specific. You should be able to unlock anything at any time. Ideally, there wouldn't be unlockables at all, as those are inherently unbalanced in a competitive multiplayer shooter, but if you must have them, make sure they aren't level-specific. Being level-specific means that some weapons/items will be better than others and that should never be the case in a multiplayer shooter."

It's pretty much why they shouldn't change anything, everyone hass different opinions.

Yes it could when the person at level 29, never sees anyone above level 29.
Everything I've said is based on tiered matchmaking every 10 levels.

And yes making the game progressively change as people level up is a new direction in this genre, I knew it would scare people weeks ago when I thought of it.

Trying to make the best competitive game turns out fail, a lot of times that is the reason IMO. It should be made fun. It doesn't have equal-sided maps/bases, it can never be balanced.

I think changes and advancements can/should be made. I don't know what they are. I think the community is stuck in Tribes ruts of tradition, therefore it may just stagnate.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 21:06.

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo