Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Modification for Arma II

We've gotten a bunch of notes over the past week for the DayZ Modification for Arma II, Bohemia Interactive Studios' military shooter sequel (thanks LittleMe and Slippery_Jim). The requirements call for Arma II: Combined Operations, as Arma 2 free does not support modifications. Here's word on the mod's zombie-killing action:

Realistic "Zombies" with custom animations - These once human creatures will act and behave as if they have a heighten sense of hearing and smell but less sight, on top of that they use motion captured animations such as walking and eating from your unconscious body. If you look into any built up area you'll see them walking around waiting for their next victim which dares to venture in.

New weapons and vehicles! - Ever felt like you needed a Crossbow? Or maybe a less military like weapon? If you have then this is perfect for you as we have both of these created to high quality standards all ready for your use in this wasteland. On top of that you can even pick up the bolts fired from the Crossbow to reuse! Not only that we also have created custom vehicles which can be repaired and ridden around to show the world what you're made of!

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

26. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 13:24 Quboid

Thanks TheFragMan.

It just occurred to me that this sounds like what I'd wanted Stalker to be - a game focused on existing in a brutal open world. Stalker did a pretty good job of this, but they bit off more than they could chew. Perhaps with this being two projects (Arma 2 its self, and the mod), each project is/will be in reasonable shape.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 13:14 TheFragMan

Quboid wrote on May 16, 2012, 12:57:
Edit: Is it Day Zee, or Day Zed? I read this like Jay Z, despite being Irish/British.
It is indeed Day Zee. As quoted by the creator...

A Chat With Rocket, Creator Of Day Z

Pretty good interview on RPS.

- Frag

24. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 13:12 StreetPreacher

What if I have regular (Steam/retail) ArmA II and not the "Combined Operations" flavor? Can I still play this mod?  

23. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 13:07 Sleep

Note well - the game is in alpha, has received massive attention (it has by itself increased arma 2 sales 5 times and made CO the top seller on Steam) and the infrastructure is fucked. Major issues connecting, not just finding space but also connecting to the game once youre on a server, especially during evening.

Expect heavy delays, frustration and moaning!!! If that turns you off, play something else for a couple of months, we can live without the extra load!

22. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 12:57 Quboid

Thanks Bhruic and Fly. This game sounds fantastic, I don't think I've played a Zombie game which has the same "survival" vibe that 28 Days Later has. Games like L4D are run & gun, they've got the same superman us-versus-the-world feeling that most shooters have.

In a real zombie apocalypse, killing loads of zombies wouldn't be the goal. Living is the goal and killing a zombie should be a last resort, if for no other reason than that they used to be a human being, and perhaps with the right treatment can return to being human - but not if you've blown their heads off with a shotgun.

I hope I haven't chucked away my Arma 2 discs...

Edit: Is it Day Zee, or Day Zed? I read this like Jay Z, despite being Irish/British.

- Quboid

21. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 12:54 SpectralMeat

Thanks for the write up Bhruic.
While this game/mod sounds fantastic, I doubt I will ever get into it because I really don't have that much time to dedicate to a game per gaming session. I am lucky if I can sit down for 30-60 minutes a day to play something these days, so I am more into the quick jump in and out type of games.

With that said I will most definitely check this out but I think I will be more of an easy target for the bandits then anything else.

Steam: SpectralMeat

20. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 12:30 Bhruic

My mini-review:

A game about atmosphere and perception more than gameplay. I don't say that in a negative way, but it's the grand concept that grabs you with this game. Mundane tasks like running from point A to point B become more stressful with the worry that there could be a zombie over the next hill. Or even worse, a bandit. Bandits being the PvP focused players in the game, they take what could be a simple "avoid the zombies" game and turn it up a notch. If you're in the city, looting a supermarket, and you spot another survivor walking down the street, what do you do? Sure, he might be friendly, and be willing to help you face the zombie horde, but he might also think that shiny new rifle you picked up would be a nice addition to his stash.

The principle of the game is simple - survive at any cost. How you do that is up to you. But it's not just the zombies and survivors you have to worry about, hunger and dehydration play a critical role. Run out of food or water, and you may end up collapsing in the street.

This is not a game for people who enjoy jumping in to play a quick round, and then leaving. Shanks mare is the travel system of choice - while there are vehicles (even helicopters) - they tend to require a great deal of time and effort to get fixed up and running again. You'll spend most of your time hoofing it. And with a 15km x 15km (or 225km2) map size, there's plenty of walking to be done. It's been described as a walking simulator almost as much as a zombie survival game, and not without some justification. If you can't afford to dedicate some time to a play session, this might not be the game for you.

For those with the time to spare, there are other issues to overcome. Zombies can attack you through walls if you are too close, and can even walk through them occasionally. Bandits enjoy hanging around the popular spawn locations, so a quick death is common. Attracting one zombie will often bring a horde down on you that it's almost impossible to take down yourself. But a good way to deal with that problem is to team up with others. Unfortunately, game spawns are random, meaning that if you want to play with a friend, you'll have to find them first. That can involve a great deal of running (or walking) through zombie-infested towns and cities.

These flaws are easily forgiven with the understanding the game is still in alpha stages. Changes are being made frequently, with patches coming out weekly if not faster. But even if that weren't the case, the flaws don't detract from the scope of the game. The game has captured the feeling of a survival game. It's a genre that hasn't had many successes, so this one is noteable.

Tips:
The most important thing to remember is that your location is persistent across servers. If you log out of the game in a city, the next time you go to play, regardless of what server you choose, you'll be (or should be) in the same location. Try not to logout in areas zombies spawn, or where bandits are prevalent.

When you first spawn in the game, your location is briefly displayed in the bottom right-hand corner. Note that location, and consult a map (one's already posted in this thread) to get an understanding of your surroundings.

If you play later in the day, be careful - servers tend to follow the same clock, meaning you could be playing when it's night on the server too.

Zombies are attracted to sound and sight, the faster you are moving, and the bigger your profile, the more like you are to be spotted. Crouch-running is a good way to cover distance with a fairly minimal profile. When around zombies, either walk, or crawl to avoid being detected. Fighting the zombies should generally be your last resort.

When you log off, your character's dehydration and hunger levels continue to increase. Make sure that you have something to drink and eat for when you log in next time, or you could spawn in dire straights.

Barns are generally the best place to look for early weapons - you can find crossbows, lee enfields, winchesters and cz550s (a sniper rifle) in them. Generally these will be better than your starting pistol. You'll also find decent amounts of bandages, food and water.

If you get shot, or attacked by a zombie, even if you fight them off, check your hud to see if you are bleeding. If you see a flashing cross symbol in the icon that looks like a drop of blood, bandage yourself asap! Your blood level will continue to drop while bleeding. If you hit a negative number, you are dead.

In most towns and cities, the majority of buildings aren't enterable. Almost all loot is found in buildings. An important survival tool is quickly learning what buildings you can enter and what ones you can't.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 12:35.

19. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 12:26 Dmitri_M

Beelzebud wrote on May 16, 2012, 12:00:
And this is why smart companies, who want to build communities around their games, give out mod tools.

Some companies don't need to (whether we want them to or not). In BI's case their entire community is built on the back of mods since their actual "games" are threadbare and..awful. I ran an ArmA community for a while, over the years we never touched the campaigns the games shipped with. ArmA for a long time has been a sandbox for modders.

If you're providing a mainstream out of the box experience like Dice are with BF3 I can see why they don't bother with mod tools. Lost DLC revenue versus a couple of happy modders. If you couldn't mod ArmA, the game would sell zero.

18. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 12:23 StaticRandomNumber

Thanks for the link to the map!

For using with Steam (Win7 x64), it is super easy, just following instructions on the DayZ forum.

Its five very simple steps, no need to mess with registry and other stuff

17. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 12:14 JayDeath

I've been watching videos of this mod for the last hour. Yeah, I need this game. Between this and D3, it's looking to be a great weekend!  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

Everyone should be playing WWII Online.

16. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 12:00 Beelzebud

And this is why smart companies, who want to build communities around their games, give out mod tools.

15. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 11:51 Fly

For anyone interested in the mod and getting it to run:
You'll need both ARMA 2 and Operation Arrowhead. You can get them both for $30 on Steam as of now. Both ARMA 2 and Operation Arrowhead are 7gigs a piece so you'll need room. As stated by previous poster, Shok, you may need to right-click-run Steam as Admin in order for Operation Arrowhead to install.

Once you install both games, run each of them for about a minute. Once you have done that, download the mod files from DayZ site.

Here's a good tutorial video. The voice is a bit harsh, but it'll walk you through it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWFv1CUa6Y

Once you have followed the above tutorial, you need to do the following things for the mod to run, otherwise you will get a "waiting for character to create" issue.

For Steam users:

In Steam, Right click ARMA&#65279; 2 (i don't know why there are numbers here i tried to fix), properties, local files, verify integrity of game cache. Let the game update.

Then, Right click Operation Arrowstorm, reinstall BattlEye Anti cheat. Wait a few seconds. Run the game.

As the tutorial video states, run the mod by right-click Operations Arrowhead then run "Operation Arrowhead Combined Operations"

Once in game, create profile/character name. Click Multiplayer. Set filter to "DayZ". This will now show you only the servers for the game. Keep in mind, the game's day and night cycle is dependent on the server location in the real world. You character information and gear you have found Save to servers (unless you die).

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 12:06.

"This is more than anyone can bear, but we will persevere." -Vort

14. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 11:45 Frijoles

So to get this working on Win 7 64 was a bitch. Took me about two hours. Here's the steps I took to finally get it to work:

1) Set Steam to run in compatibility mode (I used XP SP3). Don't worry, this will get set back.
2) Launch steam in admin mode.
3) Run Arma II base game. If you get an error about license key, it's not writing the registry key. Make sure you're in admin mode and compatibility mode.
4) Run Operation Arrowhead. Same deal. You want it to launch with no key issues or anything else it complains about.

At this point, you could open up regedit and go to the wow6432node. You should see an entry or two for Bohemia. You can try to launch Combined Operations now. If you get any errors, delete the Bohemia entries in the registry and try again.

After you get it working, you can turn off compatibility mode and not launch as admin. Getting DayZ itself to run is pretty easy after that if you use the video guidelines (I think they were posted above).

Edit: Video of how to do the install of DayZ itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib73cBf_-Ys

13. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 11:41 Dmitri_M

ArmA has a had a few mods like this. Couple of years back there was a persistant mod that revolved around police and criminals. Players could rob banks or deal\stash drugs or play as police officers. Funny how zombies suddenly make something popular.  

12. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 11:37 LgFriess

Thanks for the quick description Fly! Sounds like a lot of fun and I'll certainly be giving it a try.  

11. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 11:36 TheFragMan

PHJF wrote on May 16, 2012, 11:17:
I'd be all over this... but not at $30. If Valve/ARMA devs have any sense whatsoever they will make sure Combined Ops goes on 50% sale, and damned soon.
Pretty much the reason I haven't plopped down 30 bucks yet. I'm waiting for the inevitable sale.

- Frag

10. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 11:26 SpectralMeat

PHJF wrote on May 16, 2012, 11:17:
I'd be all over this... but not at $30. If Valve/ARMA devs have any sense whatsoever they will make sure Combined Ops goes on 50% sale, and damned soon.
I bet you it will be on sale today as midweek madness sale or the weekend.
Thanks Fly for the description, it sure sounds like a blast to play it.

Steam: SpectralMeat

9. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 11:17 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 11:07 Fly

An amazing game and it's only in Alpha.
The first time you experience the pitch black darkness of night alone in a wilderness with nothing more than a few flares, gun with limited ammo, and a few cans of baked beans your perception of what a video game is will be changed forever. Or first time you try to call out (in chat) "Is there anybody there? Can you hear my gunfire?" or "who's there? I hear gunshots". DayZ is an experience you will never forget. A true zombie apocalypse mmo with real RPG elements.
There's aren't NPC's to talk to for mounts and special spells. This is a real game with real people. A real game about survival. The object of the game is to survive in a huge world as long as you can. You can hunt (with the proper tools), form teams, raid bases or towns with your team if you found people worthy and honest enough. You have to survive. Being ever watchful of not only zombie threat, but the "Bandits" as well. Players who would rather kill you and take your gear, than try to communicate or fight against the zombie threat. They may reason with you, but it's up to them or you. Most of the time they kill you.
There can be upwards of 1000 zombies scattered across the world. They don't respawn until the server resets. During that time, it's a persistent world. If you die that's it, your body or those you kill stay on the ground for zombie food or maybe a potential find for you if they had gear in their backpacks. If you die you start over in a different spawn location with the gear you found gone forever unless you or your team has a storage somewhere.
From farmlands, to powerless and broken cities, you walk or run for literally miles and miles. You may find a helicopter or vehicle that needs parts. Of course, you'll need fuel for vehicles to operate. Even a toolbox, tires, or a windshield.
I found some matches to build a campfire and a tent. I need to make my way back up to the mountains. First I have to fill my canteen. I walked for about a mile back to a water pump I found. There's animals there I remember. I need to use my hunting knife I found to skin them and make some steaks. Thought I heard a chopper in the distance but maybe it was the waves of the ocean or wind in the trees messing with my mind. While this game is certainly not for everyone, it's what a zombie game should be. This game will get mod of the year and I would even go so far as to say, game of the year. And this only the beginning.

Here's an updated map of the world by "Bester[Rus].
http://rien-ici.com/dayzmap.jpg

Good luck.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 11:21.

"This is more than anyone can bear, but we will persevere." -Vort

7. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 11:03 Techie714

People are raving about this mod all over the net. Evan from PC Gamer had an interview with the dev.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo