Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Modification for Arma II

We've gotten a bunch of notes over the past week for the DayZ Modification for Arma II, Bohemia Interactive Studios' military shooter sequel (thanks LittleMe and Slippery_Jim). The requirements call for Arma II: Combined Operations, as Arma 2 free does not support modifications. Here's word on the mod's zombie-killing action:

Realistic "Zombies" with custom animations - These once human creatures will act and behave as if they have a heighten sense of hearing and smell but less sight, on top of that they use motion captured animations such as walking and eating from your unconscious body. If you look into any built up area you'll see them walking around waiting for their next victim which dares to venture in.

New weapons and vehicles! - Ever felt like you needed a Crossbow? Or maybe a less military like weapon? If you have then this is perfect for you as we have both of these created to high quality standards all ready for your use in this wasteland. On top of that you can even pick up the bolts fired from the Crossbow to reuse! Not only that we also have created custom vehicles which can be repaired and ridden around to show the world what you're made of!

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

46. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 21:00 Orogogus

Mad Max RW wrote on May 16, 2012, 20:50:
Typically a game doesn't go on sale when it's on top of the sales charts.

Except on Steam. Valve sometimes does time sales to coincide with sales-boosters, like Portal 2 for $6.87 at the same time they released the level-building tools. And as much as Arma 2 is selling, there are a significant number of people balking at the price.

But I hardly think this decision is in Valve's hands.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 20:50 Mad Max RW

Typically a game doesn't go on sale when it's on top of the sales charts. Right now the sudden high demand for Arma 2 is crippling the Steam servers. If you're waiting for 50% off it will be a while.  

44. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 20:41 Dev

Sir Graves wrote on May 16, 2012, 18:10:
No, not at $30. Lower it, Mr. Steam, and I (and my regular gaming group) will buy it. Not before. We all agree on that.
Just to be clear, its the publishers (sometimes the devs) who have 100% control over pricing on steam. Valve can suggest sales and show data that they will get far more overall dollars by putting it onto a sale, but the publishers are free to refuse to participate.

43. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 20:16 DangerDog

You've got a long wait ahead of you if you plan on holding off till Arma 3 version of DayZ is released.

42. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 20:10 MajorD

Cutter wrote on May 16, 2012, 19:32:
Any idea if they're going to do this mod for Arma 3? If so it's probably just worth holding off.

Edit: Just checked the footage for Arma 3 and it looks pretty sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz9mIgaBmU8

Wow! That is looking pretty sweet! Thanks for the link.

41. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 20:00 ASeven

PHJF wrote on May 16, 2012, 19:34:

Dunno, can you name a better/more immersive experience you can buy from steam for 30 bucks?

We aren't wanting to buy a mod, we are wanting to buy a terrible, horrible, broken game called ARMA which is required to run the mod. There's a difference. A game that's basically STALKER Online is a no brainer. Shame it isn't standalone.

It's not that broken anymore. Just a FYI.

40. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 19:34 PHJF

Dunno, can you name a better/more immersive experience you can buy from steam for 30 bucks?

We aren't wanting to buy a mod, we are wanting to buy a terrible, horrible, broken game called ARMA which is required to run the mod. There's a difference. A game that's basically STALKER Online is a no brainer. Shame it isn't standalone.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

39. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 19:32 Cutter

Any idea if they're going to do this mod for Arma 3? If so it's probably just worth holding off.

Edit: Just checked the footage for Arma 3 and it looks pretty sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz9mIgaBmU8

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 19:45.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

38. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 18:40 Raptor

Sure it's "overpriced" considering its age, but this mod just pumped it a few years ahead of any possible competing zombie product of this magnitude.

Just had a long session which turned out to be tons of fun.
Half of it was in pitch black darkness with no ammo, hiding in grass behind a house waiting for a hulking dark figures to pass.
Lots of extremely thrilling and scary fun.

EDIT: Actually it might also be better if not more people buy it, quite hard to find a server with open slots as it is already.

37. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 18:10 Sir Graves

PHJF wrote on May 16, 2012, 11:17:
I'd be all over this... but not at $30. If Valve/ARMA devs have any sense whatsoever they will make sure Combined Ops goes on 50% sale, and damned soon.
Agreed. I want to try this but refuse to at $30. I mean, ARMA3 is supposed to be coming out by the end of the year, so ARMA2 is (from what I hear) clunky, bug-ridden old news now.

No, not at $30. Lower it, Mr. Steam, and I (and my regular gaming group) will buy it. Not before. We all agree on that.

36. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 16:21 RailWizard

Epic irony being that Battlefield would probably have died a quiet death were it not for Desert Combat and a few other fairly popular mods. Mods. MODS.

Sad to say, I still like BF, however DICE can go fuck themselves. Oh wait, they have EA to do that for them now. My bad.

35. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 16:10 DangerDog

DICE have said a number of times that they can't release mod tools because of the sub-licenses to parts of the game that they don't have the authority over. Things like the animation code being linked to EA studios sports division (ANT) and probably a host of other things.

They also don't want to release the server code into the wild, and of course there's the monetary investment side of releasing and maintaining the tools - hell they're complaining of lack of funds to support the game with patches.

We also know now that the PC isn't really that important to them, they lied about it being the lead platform and are more keen on console sales.

I'm really happy to see BiS getting renewed success in the form of sales for Arma II, maybe we'll see some sort of online persistence with Arma III given that the mod dev works for BiS and is overseeing Arma III multiplayer.

34. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 14:52 Dev

Dmitri_M wrote on May 16, 2012, 12:26:
If you're providing a mainstream out of the box experience like Dice are with BF3 I can see why they don't bother with mod tools. Lost DLC revenue versus a couple of happy modders. If you couldn't mod ArmA, the game would sell zero.
I thought that was because they said modders were too stupid to make mods for BF3.

As for lost DLC, this game at least is making it up for sales of the original game. You can see how much demand there is for sandbox type games by how this has shot to the top of steam (and its not currently on sale). Interestingly there are some parallels with minecraft (open world, night is terrifying, sandbox type game although without building). This is not a new phenomena, people used to buy Half life so they could get the free CS or TFC mods. Building a large loyal community can be more important than the sales of the initial product. Look at valve. CS became the most popular PC multiplayer FPS game ever, and arguably had a big role in how steam came about and became such a success. CS (either flavor) is STILL one of the most popular steam games (by number of players):
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?snr=1_4_4__10

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 15:43.

33. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 14:49 DesolateShroud

I can't say enough good things about this mod. It feels like much more than the sum of its parts.

If any of you are interested I posted a survival guide: http://desolateshroud.blogspot.ca/

If you have arma2 no excuses go download it!

32. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 14:47 SM0k3

Mad Max RW wrote on May 16, 2012, 10:05:
The Day Z mod is entirely responsible for Arma 2 being on the Steam store's #1 spot as of this post. Not bad for an alpha started for fun by one guy at Bohemia Interactive.

Nice, I was a little confused by Arma II being up there on the 'Top Sellers' all of a sudden. Since I have a hard time finding regular vanilla servers. Think I'll give this a try.

31. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 14:11 xXBatmanXx

In thier defense, they didn't expect this explosion of popularity. Probably working on some balancing issues at the moment. I am patient as it is only Alpha, and I applaud the hell out of the team for what they haev accomplished so far. Throw that shit on a kickstarter and I will be all over it!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

30. too many zombies May 16, 2012, 13:58 RailWizard

Seriously, you will be half dead and out of ammo before you even reach a decent town now. They added waaay too many zombies for how much loot spawns to deal with it, even grouped.

If you at least had melee weapons, then it might be ok, but now....it's not worth playing.

29. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 13:49 LittleMe

TheFragMan wrote on May 16, 2012, 11:36:
I'd be all over this... but not at $30. If Valve/ARMA devs have any sense whatsoever they will make sure Combined Ops goes on 50% sale, and damned soon.
Pretty much the reason I haven't plopped down 30 bucks yet. I'm waiting for the inevitable sale.

Dont hold your breath. The game is flooded with players right now. There's no more capacity at the moment and for the foreseeable future.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

28. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 13:43 xXBatmanXx

TheFragMan wrote on May 16, 2012, 11:36:
Pretty much the reason I haven't plopped down 30 bucks yet. I'm waiting for the inevitable sale.

It was just on sale.....we were talking about the sale and the game in the same sentence....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

27. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 13:36 Dmitri_M

StreetPreacher wrote on May 16, 2012, 13:12:
What if I have regular (Steam/retail) ArmA II and not the "Combined Operations" flavor? Can I still play this mod?

You'll likely need the Operation Arrowhead expansion. When that's installed with the retail version of ArmA 2 you essentially have Combined Operations.

The Arrowhead expansion has it's own exe. They made a lot of engine additions and changes.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 13:41.

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo