Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Modification for Arma II

We've gotten a bunch of notes over the past week for the DayZ Modification for Arma II, Bohemia Interactive Studios' military shooter sequel (thanks LittleMe and Slippery_Jim). The requirements call for Arma II: Combined Operations, as Arma 2 free does not support modifications. Here's word on the mod's zombie-killing action:

Realistic "Zombies" with custom animations - These once human creatures will act and behave as if they have a heighten sense of hearing and smell but less sight, on top of that they use motion captured animations such as walking and eating from your unconscious body. If you look into any built up area you'll see them walking around waiting for their next victim which dares to venture in.

New weapons and vehicles! - Ever felt like you needed a Crossbow? Or maybe a less military like weapon? If you have then this is perfect for you as we have both of these created to high quality standards all ready for your use in this wasteland. On top of that you can even pick up the bolts fired from the Crossbow to reuse! Not only that we also have created custom vehicles which can be repaired and ridden around to show the world what you're made of!

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

66. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 20, 2012, 14:29 xXBatmanXx

MajorD wrote on May 16, 2012, 20:10:
Cutter wrote on May 16, 2012, 19:32:
Any idea if they're going to do this mod for Arma 3? If so it's probably just worth holding off.

Edit: Just checked the footage for Arma 3 and it looks pretty sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz9mIgaBmU8

Wow! That is looking pretty sweet! Thanks for the link.

Holy tits! Looks like what BF3 SHOULD have been. Looking forward to it!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 16:10 PHJF

Kudos to Amazon! This'll actually be the first game I've bought on Amazon DL that wasn't a steamworks game.

Nice, 2MB/s... faster than I've ever gotten from Steam.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

64. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 15:02 DG

Dev wrote on May 17, 2012, 14:18:
It depends on how its setup.
Er, yeah, thanks for the info though my description was how Amazon used to do it back in the day when I had an "Amazon Associate" account.

63. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 14:18 Dev

DG wrote on May 17, 2012, 13:09:
But 25 on steam for the game, with no Amazon sale over here.
Thats why you use amazon.com instead of amazon.co.uk to get the $15 sale. Its a digital download of the game.
DG wrote on May 17, 2012, 13:03:
Dev wrote on May 17, 2012, 08:19:
And I'd rather give blue referral if he has amazon referrals, than giving that other game site a referral.
Hmm, last I knew for a referral to give credit you had to use the coded URL and have the referrer page (told to their website by your browser) be from the web site registered for that referrer and that web site had to have something buried in it so that Amazon could confirm the referrer-account was authorised by that website.

Has that changed or did it never really work?

No complaints from me about any ideas of Blue having a referrer. Though I'd prefer if he avoided using the system certain other sites have which automatically change all posted urls, even by forum users, into referrer ones. Admittedly I mostly hate that because my adblock kills it (US site anyway so irrelevant to UK'er like me) and the link is difficult to deconstruct.
It depends on how its setup. One way is to put something special in the URL, such as that amazon one you pasted. That is recognized by amazon (it receives the complete URL afterall) and any purchases from that link will be credited by amazon to the owner of that referral account. This is actually one of the most common ways to do referrals since it survives a copy/paste. Its also why those sites you mention automatically change the URL, so they can always get referrals when people click the links from them. I will often edit the links to remove the referrals, if someone is getting paid for my purchases, I want something out of it Blue though, I want the site to keep going so I wouldn't mind him setting up an amazon referral account for those who want to help him out.

The other way to do referrals is to get them automatically through clicking on a link on a site that takes you to another site. This is done automatically on anything you click by the way URLs work, and the site gets the info on where you came from. This is sometimes used to give a referral credit. If you open a new tab and paste the link in, it defeats this automatic version. Sometimes sites use this to block your view of their webpage if they came from a place they don't like. For instance, if a popular deal on a deal site had a way to get something free that a company only had wanted to give out to people coming from another site, they could look for all visitors from that deal site and give them an error message, while letting the ones they wanted the deal to go to keep getting through.
Bhruic wrote on May 17, 2012, 08:35:
Then they also aren't "crippling" steam if they aren't using it, right? For the purposes of examining if Arma2 sales are "crippling" steam as the other guy claimed, if its not a steamworks game, and uses a different browser, then those plays aren't loading down steam, and can be ignored for the purposes of looking at the claim.

How exactly would using it even potentially cripple Steam? That doesn't make any sense, so I'm not sure why you leaped to that conclusion based on the guy's statement. It seemed obvious to me that he was refering to people downloading the game. Lots of people downloading large games is what has an impact on Steam, not running games that have no interface with Steam at all.

So yeah, peak players has no relation to the number of people downloading the game from Steam.
It wasn't "leaping to that conclusion" it was trying to think of all possible ways it could hurt steam. I already addressed the content servers (which are NOT full) so game the downloads are not maxing them out.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2012, 14:30.

62. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 13:09 DG

Saw a vid of this the other day on Reddit, looked exactly like someone trying to do something I'd been hoping for a while. I'd also been thinking it did look like it needed melee though.

But 25 on steam for the game, with no Amazon sale over here. Not willing to risk the cash on an alpha mod that presumably requires rather a lot of resources to power servers despite no income. And all of that on a BIS game - a dev I generally associate with games as buggy as they are ambitious.

61. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 13:03 DG

Dev wrote on May 17, 2012, 08:19:
And I'd rather give blue referral if he has amazon referrals, than giving that other game site a referral.
Hmm, last I knew for a referral to give credit you had to use the coded URL and have the referrer page (told to their website by your browser) be from the web site registered for that referrer and that web site had to have something buried in it so that Amazon could confirm the referrer-account was authorised by that website.

Has that changed or did it never really work?

No complaints from me about any ideas of Blue having a referrer. Though I'd prefer if he avoided using the system certain other sites have which automatically change all posted urls, even by forum users, into referrer ones. Admittedly I mostly hate that because my adblock kills it (US site anyway so irrelevant to UK'er like me) and the link is difficult to deconstruct.

60. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 11:50 Chromius

The mod has been created by an employee of Bis, and Bis has stated they will work with him to fix things specifically for the Dayz mod in the next 1.61 patch.

Also I read somewhere that the mod was tested by Bis in Arma 3 and does work. So I imagine the work to port it over will be negligible. Hopefully 1.61 and or Arma 3 fix some of the annoying bugs that keep it from being better. Bis/Arma 3 are fully realizing the potential gain in supporting this mod and this is only an Alpha so I can not imagine it will not be much improved upon.

Yeah I have been having fun with it, but you can see it can potentially get old after the initial fun/wow factor wears off if it is not expanded upon and improved.

59. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 08:35 Bhruic

Then they also aren't "crippling" steam if they aren't using it, right? For the purposes of examining if Arma2 sales are "crippling" steam as the other guy claimed, if its not a steamworks game, and uses a different browser, then those plays aren't loading down steam, and can be ignored for the purposes of looking at the claim.

How exactly would using it even potentially cripple Steam? That doesn't make any sense, so I'm not sure why you leaped to that conclusion based on the guy's statement. It seemed obvious to me that he was refering to people downloading the game. Lots of people downloading large games is what has an impact on Steam, not running games that have no interface with Steam at all.

So yeah, peak players has no relation to the number of people downloading the game from Steam.

58. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 08:19 Dev

Jerykk wrote on May 17, 2012, 04:38:
Amazon sale is up:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003UV8RRE/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20
Any idea how long the sale will be going on?
Edit: Says 12 days, but they can stop it early.
Edit 2: Lots more games on sale than arma 2, http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317580

Here's a non referral version of your link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003UV8RRE

Blue, do you have amazon referrals? Post the link here if so please

This comment was edited on May 17, 2012, 08:28.

57. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 08:09 Dev

Bhruic wrote on May 17, 2012, 03:54:
Dev wrote on May 17, 2012, 02:43:
Mad Max RW wrote on May 16, 2012, 20:50:
Right now the sudden high demand for Arma 2 is crippling the Steam servers.
The demand for Arma 2 hardly registers on steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
4k peak players on Arma 2 today through steam, compare to 42k on TF2 and CS of 58k. Even Garry's mod had almost 50% more players.
Content server stats (none of them are maxed):
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content

I'm sure its doing decent sales, but its not "crippling" to steam.

Sales numbers and peak players numbers are two different things. The recommended way to launch the DayZ mod uses a separate launcher. If you use the launcher, Steam doesn't register you as running the game. So there are likely quite a few people playing that won't show up in the peak players tally.

If my reply was examining overall sales by looking at actual peak players for purposes of seeing how popular the game really was, then yeah, I should examine all of that.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2012, 08:20.

56. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 04:38 Jerykk

Amazon sale is up:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003UV8RRE/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

55. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 03:54 Bhruic

Dev wrote on May 17, 2012, 02:43:
4k peak players on Arma 2 today through steam, compare to 42k on TF2 and CS of 58k. Even Garry's mod had almost 50% more players.

Sales numbers and peak players numbers are two different things. The recommended way to launch the DayZ mod uses a separate launcher. If you use the launcher, Steam doesn't register you as running the game. So there are likely quite a few people playing that won't show up in the peak players tally.

54. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 02:57 Raptor

ASeven wrote on May 16, 2012, 20:00:
PHJF wrote on May 16, 2012, 19:34:

Dunno, can you name a better/more immersive experience you can buy from steam for 30 bucks?

We aren't wanting to buy a mod, we are wanting to buy a terrible, horrible, broken game called ARMA which is required to run the mod. There's a difference. A game that's basically STALKER Online is a no brainer. Shame it isn't standalone.

It's not that broken anymore. Just a FYI.

Indeed, it's actually quite okay if you leave the usual clitches aside.
But nevertheless this series is the most fun I've had in any game online ever (the legendary days of running around in OFP in a mission you quickly threw together yourself are unsurpassed)
If you like polished AAA titles then yah, best to look elsewhere. This thing feels more like a graphical shell (not an ugly one at that) for something far more advanced than any big studio would even dream about doing.

53. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 02:51 Jerykk

Amazon basically just uses whatever DRM the publisher put on the game. They don't have any Amazon-specific DRM. In the case of ArmA2, I believe it's a one-time activation.

They've actually started offering Steam and non-Steam versions of downloads, though they haven't provided that for ArmA2 yet.

52. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 02:44 DangerDog

Nope, even if you get it through steam it's not "steamworks", uses gamespy for server browser.

but to answer your question, you can't enter the key number into steam. I've never used amazon dl service but I've read that it's non-obtrusive.

51. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 02:43 Dev

50. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 02:35 Dev

Jerykk wrote on May 16, 2012, 22:55:
Typically a game doesn't go on sale when it's on top of the sales charts. Right now the sudden high demand for Arma 2 is crippling the Steam servers. If you're waiting for 50% off it will be a while.

Actually, Amazon is going to have the Combined Ops download on sale for $15 within the next few days. Be sure to check their website tomorrow.
Is Arma 2 a steamworks game? I don't really like to get stuff from amazon unless I can get it into my steam account.

49. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 02:30 Dmitri_M

Dunno, can you name a better/more immersive experience you can buy from steam for 30 bucks?

We aren't wanting to buy a mod, we are wanting to buy a terrible, horrible, broken game called ARMA which is required to run the mod. There's a difference. A game that's basically STALKER Online is a no brainer. Shame it isn't standalone.

Yeah the "broken" line is utter nonsense, the game has been rock solid for ages now.

Just because you can't handle a non ID FPS doesn't mean it's broken.

48. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 22:55 Jerykk

Typically a game doesn't go on sale when it's on top of the sales charts. Right now the sudden high demand for Arma 2 is crippling the Steam servers. If you're waiting for 50% off it will be a while.

Actually, Amazon is going to have the Combined Ops download on sale for $15 within the next few days. Be sure to check their website tomorrow.

47. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 21:54 Squirmer

a terrible, horrible, broken game called ARMA

Betraying your ignorance here. Arma 2 is none of these things.

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo