Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gaikai to Debut Hawken

Cloud gaming service Gaikai and Meteor Entertainment announce plans to debut Hawken via Gaikai before the previously announced December 12th release date for Adhesive Games' free-to-play mech combat game. They do not specify exactly when this will happen, but that: "Powered by Gaikaiís high performance open cloud platform, HAWKEN will be available to try instantly before its 12/12/12 launch date on www.playhawken.com and other websites, with no downloads or installs required." Signups to beta test the game are still being conducted on the Hawken Website. "HAWKEN wants to be free and it wants to be everywhere - and with Gaikai, it will be," stated Mark Long, CEO at Meteor Entertainment. "Their tech is the next level. It's mind blowing to see HAWKEN running on a tablet!"

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: gotta call B/S on this 1.... May 16, 2012, 16:42 Beamer

Shataan wrote on May 16, 2012, 15:34:
"Why don't we see many demos? They're a pain in the ass to make"

Why? Why do peeps like you still continue to use this tired excuse for why there are hardly any demo releases these days? That excuse is almost as bad as peeps who say..."do you want a pc game that is rushed out the door.... or done right?".

Is anyone here old enough to remember when we had 30+ hour sp campaign games, and we still were given a timely demo? I do.

So, in THIS sad day and age where we get what? 5 to 8 hour sp campaign PC games.... TOPS..... you still wanna use the ol "demos are a pita to make" excuse????? They don`t have the manpower or time to release timely demos? But they can still give us an on average 6 hour sp campaign PC game release, sans dedicated servers... the list goes on. AND we pay the same or more now..... for PC games that give us less.

Ooooooooooooh awwwwwwwwe ohhhhhhhhhhh. Yup, those demos are a pita to make. We took away most of the actual game content we used to deliver. We took away dedicated server support AND mod tools. Let`s as well do away with releasing a demo. Add to that the streamlining of the console/PC developement.

And while it all might look great on paper, it sure does not bode well for the totally craptastic PC release.

We now return to our regularly scheduled topic. ;p

I don't entirely get this rant.
For one, remember what games were like when we got timely demos? It was just an engine with a few levels. Games were kind of like consoles - the engine was the console and the maps were the cartridge. Pop in a map and you're good to go. Assets were limited and small.
It isn't like that any more. Engines and assets aren't as easily compartmentalized.
Then there's DRM, which sadly weighs in, as some games have been cracked using their demo's executable.

Lastly, you're talking about how much manpower and saying that manpower must not be an issue since we get so little content. That's a strange way to look at it. 6 guys used to be able to give us 30 hours. Now 300 guys barely give us 8 hours. Clearly manpower is a much, much more limiting factor today than it used to be.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Gaikai to Debut Hawken May 16, 2012, 16:26 RailWizard

Probably because game devs think they are rockstars now and need their Ferraris and 5 bitches on their knobs at all times. Hollywood accounting. Plain and simple.  

16. gotta call B/S on this 1.... May 16, 2012, 15:34 Shataan

"Why don't we see many demos? They're a pain in the ass to make"

Why? Why do peeps like you still continue to use this tired excuse for why there are hardly any demo releases these days? That excuse is almost as bad as peeps who say..."do you want a pc game that is rushed out the door.... or done right?".

Is anyone here old enough to remember when we had 30+ hour sp campaign games, and we still were given a timely demo? I do.

So, in THIS sad day and age where we get what? 5 to 8 hour sp campaign PC games.... TOPS..... you still wanna use the ol "demos are a pita to make" excuse????? They don`t have the manpower or time to release timely demos? But they can still give us an on average 6 hour sp campaign PC game release, sans dedicated servers... the list goes on. AND we pay the same or more now..... for PC games that give us less.

Ooooooooooooh awwwwwwwwe ohhhhhhhhhhh. Yup, those demos are a pita to make. We took away most of the actual game content we used to deliver. We took away dedicated server support AND mod tools. Let`s as well do away with releasing a demo. Add to that the streamlining of the console/PC developement.

And while it all might look great on paper, it sure does not bode well for the totally craptastic PC release.

We now return to our regularly scheduled topic. ;p

15. Re: Gaikai to Debut Hawken May 16, 2012, 08:07 Beamer

So no one watched the NVIDIA cloud gaming event yesterday?

No surprise here after this. NVIDIA was showing it off and playing it on a Galaxy Tab in full settings. Swearing up and down there was no lag, but who knows.

In any case, I fully approve of Gaikai being a no-install demo option for consumers and a no-cost demo option for companies. Why don't we see many demos? They're a pain in the ass to make. With Gaikai companies just throw the full game on the server and give it a time limit. Bam! Free (mostly) demo.
Given the choice between no demo and a laggy demo I'll take a laggy demo, thank you.

Also, surprising so many people are saying "so much for Hawken" when all they're announcing is that their demo is on Gaikai. And, frankly, I doubt much money changed hands - Hawken was not going to have a demo. Now it does have a demo. That's an enormous benefit for the developers. That's a huge benefit for you guys.

lolsomuchforhawken!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Gaikai to Debut Hawken May 16, 2012, 07:36 RailWizard

lol so much for Hawken. Oh well, hopes were not all that high for it to begin with.  

13. Re: Gaikai to Debut Hawken May 16, 2012, 06:13 deqer

SCPM wrote on May 16, 2012, 05:28:
Can't afford? The Hawken developers received 10 million bucks from an investment firm last year.
That's nice and all, but is it going to have LAN support? Offline-mode?

No? Okay.

12. Re: Gaikai to Debut Hawken May 16, 2012, 05:28 SCPM

Can't afford? The Hawken developers received 10 million bucks from an investment firm last year.  

11. Re: Gaikai to Debut Hawken May 16, 2012, 05:22 reisub

deqer wrote on May 16, 2012, 04:54:
Hey Hawken; way to sell out.

If you can't afford to build a game, then maybe you shouldn't be building one then.
trololol?

It doesn't hurt anyone. It doesn't compromise their integrity. What's the problem?

10. Re: Gaikai to Debut Hawken May 16, 2012, 04:54 deqer

Hey Hawken; way to sell out.

If you can't afford to build a game, then maybe you shouldn't be building one then.

9. Re: Gaikai is shit. May 16, 2012, 01:16 SimplyMonk

My company was planning on doing some work with Gaikai until before Dave Perry got distracted by something shiny like he always tends to do. From the demo and tech he showed me though, it has very sound applications and they are going about it the right way... but they just lack the resources to get hosting servers in place and the bandwidths nationwide just aren't solid enough to support the service yet. It works great if you are less than 100 miles from the server, but once you get into the boondocks it goes to crap.

Before it plays a demo the service is supposed to test your connection and determine whether or not it should even bother giving you a demo, but apparently that is not how it is working out. Doesn't make a good first impression if the first thing you see about a game is crappy performance. Gaikai isn't making the mistakes OnLive is, but even so the infrastructure just isn't there yet to support this.

Who knows. With a little more investment and some more servers this might just be worthwhile in a few years.

8. Re: Gaikai is shit. May 16, 2012, 01:00 Evil Timmy

Given the videos we've seen so far, Hawken seems supremely unsuited to the latency involved in a service like Gaikai. I'm glad the devs have found further sources of support which should fund further polish, but the fast-action combat and precision required might leave a bad taste in the first wave of the public experiencing the game.

I've tried Gaikai on the fastest home connection I've had a chance to use, and even with a tested 60Mbit+ and extremely low latency, the delay and quality issues are apparent. Certain games might be acceptable, but anything relying on precision aim and quick reflexes seems like a remarkably poor idea, especially as a showcase for a new game.

7. Re: Gaikai is shit. May 15, 2012, 23:29 Sepharo

Okay I'm not fucking suggesting that the quality of game is good when it's being compressed and played over the internet. My point is at least Gaikai has the sense not to charge for it. Hell you don't even need to register, well at least the last time I used it.

Can't go wrong with free.

6. Gaikai is shit. May 15, 2012, 23:04 IMAPC

Sepharo wrote on May 15, 2012, 21:29:
Hey Gaikai is the pretty nifty free registration-less cloud demo service...
Milhouse, Gaikai is shit. Yes, the idea of it is alright in that it is free and would potentially be a good way to try out a game without installing anything. However, where Gaikai falls apart is in its actual implementation and use. It's shit. My Internet connection has decent speed (10Mbit/s) with no usage caps so on paper it's a good candidate for this service, but in practice it's still shit.

For the brief time when a game actually runs, it looks like shit and the framerate and responsiveness are even worse. And, that's before the game cuts out completely after a minute or two to "recalibrate" the speed before automatically closing out the session because the performance is insufficient.

Even at free Gaikai is not worth the price. It's shit.

5. Re: Gaikai to Debut Hawken May 15, 2012, 23:03 Cutter

Seph, every demo I've seen on Gaikai looks like untter shite. I'm down with Hawken...jut not on Gaikai.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Gaikai to Debut Hawken May 15, 2012, 22:53 Jerykk

I don't really have any issue with this as long as I can also play HAWKEN the old-fashioned, non-cloud-based way. I'm sure Gaikai paid the devs some money for this deal and that will help make HAWKEN a better game.  

3. Re: Gaikai to Debut Hawken May 15, 2012, 21:29 Sepharo

Hey Gaikai is the pretty nifty free registration-less cloud demo service...
Not OnLive the idiotic buy full priced games and/or pay a subscription to play them poorly over the internet, and you can even buy a console system to do so, service.

2. Re: Gaikai to Debut Hawken May 15, 2012, 21:21 NKD

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2012, 20:59:
Wow, way to make people think you have a crappy game.

Yeah. Just associating this title with Gaikai ensures I will probably never try it.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

1. Re: Gaikai to Debut Hawken May 15, 2012, 20:59 Cutter

Wow, way to make people think you have a crappy game.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo