Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Free Weekend

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website announces a free weekend for the Star Wars MMORPG (thanks VG247). Here's word:

BioWare and LucasArts are happy to announce that this weekend will be another Weekend Pass Free Trial, giving people interested in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ the chance to take the first steps in their personal Star Wars™ saga for free*! This Weekend Pass Free Trial will begin on Thursday, May 17th at 12:01AM CDT / 5:01AM GMT, and end on Monday, May 21st at 2:00AM CDT / 7:00AM GMT.

People who haven’t taken part in any previous trials for The Old Republic will be able to take part in this Weekend Pass. Individuals can download the game as soon as the Weekend Pass begins, and players will be able to register their accounts to play until 2:00AM CDT / 7:00AM GDT on Sunday, May 20th.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: The Old Republic Free Weekend<br> The <a href= May 16, 2012, 21:37 s1mon75

"Individuals can download the game as soon as the Weekend Pass begins"

So EA want people to spend a lot of their 'Free' time downloading the game?

To be brutally honest, EA have no idea how to treat gamers.

As someone said here previously, just make it F2P and get it over with

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: The Old Republic Free Weekend May 16, 2012, 20:21 Zadig

Just like Conan, LOTRO, Warhammer, and all the other awful WoWclones, this game died incredibly fast. If it wasn't Bioware I'd be tempted to feel sorry that they wasted an ungodly amount of money making this predictable disaster, but they richly deserve it.  

17. Re: The Old Republic Free Weekend May 16, 2012, 09:36 Ant

Weekend? Too short. No thanks.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

16. Re: Pfffftttt!!! May 16, 2012, 09:23 Angrius Maximis

Just make the game F2P and get it over with  

15. Re: Pfffftttt!!! May 16, 2012, 09:00 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on May 16, 2012, 03:34:
I almost feel sorry for Bioware....almost?....what the fuck am I saying??? Fuck em, thats what you get for selling out.

That, and I'm sure a lot of the real talent moved on, after EA took them over. DA:O was their last decent game, IMO... but they weren't under EA for that long at the time.

14. Re: The Old Republic Free Weekend<br> The <a href= May 16, 2012, 06:57 Veterator

They should think about making a bundle deal on their MMOs.....so people can pay a few bucks more and get access to WAR and all that.

SOE had it, but it became virtually worthless with all the restrictions..

13. Re: Pfffftttt!!! May 16, 2012, 03:34 InBlack

I almost feel sorry for Bioware....almost?....what the fuck am I saying??? Fuck em, thats what you get for selling out.  

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: Pfffftttt!!! May 16, 2012, 02:06 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on May 16, 2012, 01:40:
Yeah, the timing is rather poor. Then again, the entire decision to make TOR instead of KOTOR3 was a poor decision as well.
But, but ... A MMO! Make MMO ... collect CASH!! Please, mom? Can i make a MMO?

11. Re: Pfffftttt!!! May 16, 2012, 01:40 Jerykk

Darks wrote on May 15, 2012, 23:28:
Funny, with Diablo 3 out good luck getting anyone to play this game this weekend.

Yeah, the timing is rather poor. Then again, the entire decision to make TOR instead of KOTOR3 was a poor decision as well.

10. Re: The Old Republic Free Weekend<br> The <a href= May 15, 2012, 23:53 Jivaro

I liked it just fine...probably the only person on the planet that did...but it should have been a F2P game in the first place. Or maybe like Guild Wars 2, pay for it, and then no monthly sub.

I cancelled because there is too many other games to play right now, but it makes me sad that unlike a GW or STO or any number of other big name franchises I can't pop in and play when I want. Cryptic makes about 5 bucks off of me every month, which is more then they would make if they wanted a sub.

It isn't about the price, btw. It's the concept of being subscribed to two MMOs. Or more. Whenever you aren't playing the one that you are paying for you feel like you are wasting your money. At least I do. As such..I had to cancel SWTOR, because I am going to be playing other things until there is a pretty big content update. I am not going to pay Bioware money so that I can do the same content over and over again while missing out on games I really want to be playing.

9. Re: Pfffftttt!!! May 15, 2012, 23:50 Prez

Maybe 'Error 37' is code for "EA has sabotaged our servers so you all have time to play their awful MMO".  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Pfffftttt!!! May 15, 2012, 23:28 Darks

Funny, with Diablo 3 out good luck getting anyone to play this game this weekend.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

7. Re: Pfffftttt!!! May 15, 2012, 23:12 wtf_man

NKD wrote on May 15, 2012, 22:59:
Hah. I didn't actually pay anything for this game either. I think I mentioned this before to you (might have been someone else) but I preordered, cancelled, got a refund AND they sent me my code anyway. And then a friend decided not to play and gave me his Collectors Edition code. So I sold one of the codes, played with the other.

And on top of that, I somehow ended up with like 2 or 3 free months.

I actually ended up not only getting to 50, but fully clearing EV and KP on Nightmare, and then cancelling before ever getting charged a cent. Thanks Bioware!

OMFG! YOU PIRATED AN MMO! No wonder they can't make any money, you pirate you!

6. Re: Pfffftttt!!! May 15, 2012, 22:59 NKD

Prez wrote on May 15, 2012, 21:48:
Aaannnddd... no one cares. My free month routinely saw me alone on the Port Nowhere server in half of the areas I went to, and the layer of walmart-brand paint they tried to put over the tired and broken MMO formula is fading and peeling. Subscription cancelled, game deleted. Thank God it cost me nothing; I'd be mighty pissed if I actually paid any money to play this disaster.

Hah. I didn't actually pay anything for this game either. I think I mentioned this before to you (might have been someone else) but I preordered, cancelled, got a refund AND they sent me my code anyway. And then a friend decided not to play and gave me his Collectors Edition code. So I sold one of the codes, played with the other.

And on top of that, I somehow ended up with like 2 or 3 free months.

I actually ended up not only getting to 50, but fully clearing EV and KP on Nightmare, and then cancelling before ever getting charged a cent. Thanks Bioware!

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

5. Re: Pfffftttt!!! May 15, 2012, 21:48 Prez

Aaannnddd... no one cares. My free month routinely saw me alone on the Port Nowhere server in half of the areas I went to, and the layer of walmart-brand paint they tried to put over the tired and broken MMO formula is fading and peeling. Subscription cancelled, game deleted. Thank God it cost me nothing; I'd be mighty pissed if I actually paid any money to play this disaster.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Pfffftttt!!! May 15, 2012, 21:20 NKD

JohnBirshire wrote on May 15, 2012, 20:53:
They are idiots, refuse to merge servers to the point people are rerolling and/or quiting for lack of anything else to do. Then simultaneously spend all their time and effort trying to attract new players while kicking their current PAYING subscribers in the teeth. You can keep Bioware, I'm done with them.

Now now, let's be fair. They aren't refusing to do anything about server populations...

.... they are just too incompetent to implement it in a reasonable timeframe.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

3. Re: The Old Republic Free Weekend<br> The <a href= May 15, 2012, 21:04 Acleacius

Yeah, servers are dying. This isn't scientific but I've been playing on one of the more populated servers and low level green armor items are NOT selling anymore. This means there are no longer NEW players buying low level cheap armor, becasue they can't afford blue, purple or orange armors.

I intended to cancel, after 3 months but found they had already charged me for my 4th month. They must be charging 30 to 45 days ahead of my renewal date. Must get this turned off, what else should I expect from ea.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

2. Pfffftttt!!! May 15, 2012, 20:53 JohnBirshire

They are idiots, refuse to merge servers to the point people are rerolling and/or quiting for lack of anything else to do. Then simultaneously spend all their time and effort trying to attract new players while kicking their current PAYING subscribers in the teeth. You can keep Bioware, I'm done with them.  

1. Re: The Old Republic Free Weekend<br> The <a href= May 15, 2012, 20:43 wtf_man

PWEASE PWAY OUR GAEM!!!

We need a boost in population numbers so we can keep saying that we aren't losing any subscriptions!!!

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo