Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy

View
121 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

81. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 15:05 Ant

ASeven wrote on May 16, 2012, 15:04:
Quinn wrote on May 16, 2012, 14:37:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 16, 2012, 10:42:
TheEmissary wrote on May 16, 2012, 01:52:
This isn't an MMO for crying out loud.
Actually, this is a MMO. That's how they built it, that's how they are marketing it. THAT is the problem.

Hit the nail on the head with that comment. I wrote almost literally the same on their facebook page this afternoon.

Funny thing is I don't think there would be a tenth of the noise about Diablo3 had they called it DiabloTheMMO. At least people wouldn't expect for the game to have a singleplayer component. Games that require you to be online and require the game server to be online do not constitute a SP game to me.
Ditto. At least the game doesn't require subscription.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

80. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 15:04 ASeven

Quinn wrote on May 16, 2012, 14:37:
Actually, this is a MMO. That's how they built it, that's how they are marketing it. THAT is the problem.

Hit the nail on the head with that comment. I wrote almost literally the same on their facebook page this afternoon.

Funny thing is I don't think there would be a tenth of the noise about Diablo3 had they called it DiabloTheMMO. At least people wouldn't expect for the game to have a singleplayer component. Games that require you to be online and require the game server to be online do not constitute a SP game to me.

79. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 14:57 Optional nickname

I received the collectors edition in the mail yesterday, opened it in front of my wife, and was very impressed at the quality of box and items inside, and proceeded to install, and shook the house with its installation Tristram theme coming out of my floorstanding speakers ..

nicest videogame package so far, ever.

now my GTX460 is dead. (apparently 3d portion has been for some time now, I haven't gamed on PC since SC2 was released.

I got no errors right off the bat, last night, all went smooth, except for the system shutting down 3 minutes into 3d mode.

78. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 14:37 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

77. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 14:19 Creston

I am sorry but there is no excuse for having rolling outages and 2+ hour maintenance on launch day. This isn't an MMO for crying out loud. Shouldn't they have data from both the pre-order statistics and beta stress test to tell them how to configure the servers. Apparently they stuck their head in the sand and did nothing to prepare.

That's correct, they didn't. It's MUCH cheaper to not do anything than it is to get enough infrastructure in place.

It is totally unacceptable to launch a game that isn't ready. The industry really needs to get its act together.

It's unacceptable? Really? Because 4+ million people just told Blizzard that it is PERFECTLY acceptable to pull this kind of stunt. Posting "UNACCEPTABLE!! RAAEG!!!" on a forum somewhere isn't going to make Blizzard change its ways.

NOT BUYING THEIR GAMES would, but shit... man... it's Diablo!
And Blizzard knows full well that people would buy it anyway, so they put in always-online requirements, and didn't have enough hardware in place to handle the numbers.

They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Creston

76. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 14:02 Wowbagger_TIP

On a happier note, Grim Dawn just passed $400K today

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

75. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 13:43 Ant

ASeven wrote on May 16, 2012, 09:15:
I used to be a Diablo gamer but then I took an Error 37 to the knee.

*groan*
LOL. I find it funny.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

74. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 13:34 Mr. Tact

The Kotaku article was amusing. The author says, "We always knew that by demanding a constant internet connection, Blizzard was taking away a portion of the consumer's ownership of their game." Not quite right... the purchaser has NO ownership. It is simply a lease agreement.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

73. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 12:18 Luke

WaltC wrote on May 16, 2012, 10:57:
Talk about screw-ups, Blizzard must have been hallucinating during the development cycle of this game. The whole idea behind client-server games is that you turn over everything you can to the local client, because the customer can shape and control his own local environment but there's not a thing in the world that the customer can do if the server has trouble. Blizzard should be awarded the "How Not to Design a Game Award" for this one. They're selling their customers half the game--the other half they are keeping on their servers, to be released to their customers under very strict circumstances:

1) The Blizzard servers have got to be functioning perfectly
2) The customer's broadband service has got to be functioning perfectly

..or it's no-play, Jose'! Good Job, Blizzard!

I'm unquestionably passing on this one.

Now, back to something much more predictable that I'm actually enjoying quite a bit (again): my 16-year-old CD copy of Anvil of Dawn, which runs perfectly on Win7x64 through DOSbox .74...;) No error 37's here--not a single one--*and* I get to play when I want to instead of when Blizzard allows me to play. What a concept!

(It's really amazing, isn't it, when you see how much a formerly good name like Blizzard can forget about good game design? Can companies develop Alzheimer's? Something is really wrong with the Blizzard picture.)

Its called Bad Karma

72. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 11:01 Wowbagger_TIP

MisterBenn wrote on May 15, 2012, 22:20:
Prez wrote on May 15, 2012, 21:51:
I'm still stunned Blue actually used the "arrow to the knee" line after his comment. UGH!

In fairness he referred to the phenomenon, he didn't use it.

With all the new dungeon crawlers coming out I will definitely be buying one of them... but which? D3 is out, the previous videos I saw showed very little new and exciting, and there is already a growing collection of feedback along the same lines. Also looking for single player I hate the online DRM so that makes the decision even easier.

I love the skill web and graphic style of Path of Exile but I understand it's currently crude in places. I'm not the biggest fan of the cartoon style of Torchlight 2 and I agree with TB that the tech tree seems dated now, but hearing him rave about the main combat mechanics being so satisfying I think that's probably out on top at the moment...

It is as least a health time for these games, competition breeds quality!
At least PoE is still in beta. They've been doing stress-test weekends lately. The devs are responsive and communicate with players a lot both in the forums and in the game. They tend to fix issues pretty quickly as well. Asked for a minimap, we got a minimap. Asked for better UI features for leveling skills, got them like a week later. Still has some issues, but at least they are still testing and trying to prevent these issues from impacting players. Will probably be playing this (and Warlock) until TL2 comes out.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

71. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 10:57 WaltC

Talk about screw-ups, Blizzard must have been hallucinating during the development cycle of this game. The whole idea behind client-server games is that you turn over everything you can to the local client, because the customer can shape and control his own local environment but there's not a thing in the world that the customer can do if the server has trouble. Blizzard should be awarded the "How Not to Design a Game Award" for this one. They're selling their customers half the game--the other half they are keeping on their servers, to be released to their customers under very strict circumstances:

1) The Blizzard servers have got to be functioning perfectly
2) The customer's broadband service has got to be functioning perfectly

..or it's no-play, Jose'! Good Job, Blizzard!

I'm unquestionably passing on this one.

Now, back to something much more predictable that I'm actually enjoying quite a bit (again): my 16-year-old CD copy of Anvil of Dawn, which runs perfectly on Win7x64 through DOSbox .74...;) No error 37's here--not a single one--*and* I get to play when I want to instead of when Blizzard allows me to play. What a concept!

(It's really amazing, isn't it, when you see how much a formerly good name like Blizzard can forget about good game design? Can companies develop Alzheimer's? Something is really wrong with the Blizzard picture.)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

70. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 10:52 nin

Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

69. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 10:46 AngelicPenguin

TheVocalMinority wrote on May 16, 2012, 09:48:
This has been absolute gold! Enjoy your shit sandwich bitches - you've signed on for this as the future of gaming.

And whats that smell? Must be shill accounts getting burned trying to spin this (one was a REALLY big surprise I must admit).

Diablo 3 is a great game which entertained me enormously, and I've never even played it!

o...........k..........

What I did was try to login a few times last night and could not, saw the blizzard posting about a US server issue and just went and played something else.

No big deal honestly - it's launch day. Now Diablo 3 simply comes out May 16th instead. Shrug.

68. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 10:43 Reactor

Yeah, the Error 37 was annoying and unacceptable but the game is pretty fun. I think it captures the feel of the first Diablo. I have a level 15 wizard and I just finished Act 1 last nite. I'm diggin' it.

Same, I'm enjoying it too (despite some art direction reservations at times) but getting kicked from the server randomly is getting old, fast. I really wish the game wasn't an online one pretending to be a singleplayer game.

67. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 10:42 Mr. Tact

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 10:52.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

66. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 09:48 TheVocalMinority

This has been absolute gold! Enjoy your shit sandwich bitches - you've signed on for this as the future of gaming.

And whats that smell? Must be shill accounts getting burned trying to spin this (one was a REALLY big surprise I must admit).

Diablo 3 is a great game which entertained me enormously, and I've never even played it!

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

65. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 09:28 Ant

37 should had been 69.

I am not surprised by all these problems right after its release.

64. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 09:15 ASeven

I used to be a Diablo gamer but then I took an Error 37 to the knee.

*groan*

63. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 09:12 JayDeath

Yeah, the Error 37 was annoying and unacceptable but the game is pretty fun. I think it captures the feel of the first Diablo. I have a level 15 wizard and I just finished Act 1 last nite. I'm diggin' it.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 09:18.

Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

62. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 09:10 nin

Game is awesome. Have a level 31 Witch Doctor.

Goddamn. Do you live in Korea? You Koreans, always playing for 72 hours straight in your internet cafes and then dropping dead.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

121 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo