Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Diablo III

Battle.net announces the extended wait for Diablo III is now over, and the action/RPG sequel should now be available worldwide. For anyone getting error messages from the game, this article may help you work out what's wrong, and here's word on the release:

Twenty years have passed since the Prime Evils were defeated and banished from the world of Sanctuary. Now you must return to Tristram and investigate rumors of a fallen star, an omen that the End Times have begun.

Diablo III is now live and available at a store near you -- or you can click here to purchase a digital copy directly through Blizzard. The game is available at retailers in both a standard and Collector's Edition. Visit our Diablo III game information page or search the Game Guide to learn more about this highly anticipated third installment in the Diablo series.

View
286 Replies. 15 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

106. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:27 MadBoris

Slashman wrote on May 15, 2012, 15:16:
I'm less concerned about launch than I am the long term implications for this.

You actually lose progress when your game drops. You can't save so you are plunked back in the game with whole areas that you had explored now fogged out again(at least according to one of the first impression reviews). I mean I can't imagine what it would be like to have just nearly beat a hard boss and have your connection drop(either on your end or Blizzard's servers and have to do over the whole section that you just played through)...

I think what will make more of an impact to people is when they are playing hardcore (die once everything erased).
If the game lags you when playing hardcore, I'd be pretty upset. I saw someone get close to dying with lag freeze, then monsters appearing right on top of him.

(The AI and movement was still running server side, just took a while (like 1-2 seconds) for the monsters to visually appear surrounding him).

I hope that is just a one in 1000, or is due to crazy load issues, it's the only game play I've seen though.

P.S. To all you haters, it's still just a beta they will have it ready for release, oops NM.

^^ one of the stupidest phrases I ever hear on forums.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

105. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:25 Undocumented Alien

When PvP goes online, folks will be glad characters/gear are stored/validated by Blizzard instead of hacked in by players.

Right, the D1/D2 Offline mode really caused a lot of problems...

104. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:24 Matshock

Undocumented Alien wrote on May 15, 2012, 15:20:
Apparently the server downtime is partly to fix this major bug. Apparently if you traded a shield with the templar companion it would perma-log you from battle.net. Anyways lots of little unforeseen things crop up in a game this big.

Happy NON-customer and proud to NOT support online DRM (from Ubi or Blizz).

An MMO type launch for a simple Dungeon Crawler...

When PvP goes online, folks will be glad characters/gear are stored/validated by Blizzard instead of hacked in by players.

103. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:23 Wolfox

MacLeod wrote on May 15, 2012, 15:03:
What I'm more curious about is the screenshots... apparently Diablo went on a diet or something for the past 20 years. His limbs are very thin and such, almost looks like a female demon.

I've heard people giving explanations for that, and it's WAY into spoiler territory. Not sure if any of it is true, though, as I was actively trying to avoid spoilers at the time, but still.

102. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:20 Undocumented Alien

Apparently the server downtime is partly to fix this major bug. Apparently if you traded a shield with the templar companion it would perma-log you from battle.net. Anyways lots of little unforeseen things crop up in a game this big.

Happy NON-customer and proud to NOT support online DRM (from Ubi or Blizz).

An MMO type launch for a simple Dungeon Crawler...

101. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:16 Slashman

I'm less concerned about launch than I am the long term implications for this.

You actually lose progress when your game drops. You can't save so you are plunked back in the game with whole areas that you had explored now fogged out again(at least according to one of the first impression reviews). I mean I can't imagine what it would be like to have just nearly beat a hard boss and have your connection drop(either on your end or Blizzard's servers and have to do over the whole section that you just played through).

I'm fine waiting for Grim Dawn and playing other things. D3 just isn't calling to me like its predecessors.

100. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:14 PropheT

Krovven wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:48:
Being mad about it is wasted energy, especially when we all knew this was inevitably what was going to happen.

I just can't get on board with it being ok because this stuff happens. It's not unreasonable to expect something better than this.

It's not uncommon for MMO's to have lag, queues, whatever on launch day (which is what this basically is, even if a single player MMO). Glitches are one thing, complete stonewalling by the login server and a three hour shutdown in the middle of the day... people are still at work, kids at school, and some haven't even had a chance to get their copy yet. If it can't handle 2am and it can't handle 12pm, it ain't going to be up later either.

They've talked in interviews about this being the direction that gaming is going, and today is really a pretty good example of why it shouldn't. I'm not really angry about it, just...disgusted, I guess.

99. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:14 Teddy

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:53:
7 hours

Take note those are both groups of 4 people. You're not doing that solo. It may have scaling issues in co-op. Hell, does it even bother scaling? I don't know one way or the other.

And for comparison:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/Diablo2LoD.html

Diablo 2 speedrun, 4 hours 22 minutes. 100% completion. We all know how much content was in that game.

98. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:13 Verno

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

97. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:11 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on May 15, 2012, 13:48:
I'm seeing thousands of thousands of angry people complaining that the servers are down, can't login, etc etc etc.

Yep, if you keep buying products from companies that refuse to put up enough server capacity to handle all their pre-orders, then don't be surprised if they keep refusing to put up enough server capacity.

Apparently the servers are now down for the next few hours? Smooth launch...

Creston

Have hundreds of friends that are playing - no one has had an issue logging in and playing. I put 2 hours in this AM. Plan on doing a heck of a lot more this afternoon@!

Level 9 monk, just saved Cain.

Had to go to a drinking lunch, now off to the dog park and will be playing later. Perfect timing for servers to be down!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

96. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:06 Krovven

MacLeod wrote on May 15, 2012, 15:03:
I'd almost be willing to bet that after the speed run, they go back and play the game to actually play it as well.

Or they'll goto the forums and complain that the game is too short.

It's too bad the Profiles aren't available on the website yet, then we'd get the truth behind the claims.

95. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:05 Matshock

Overon wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:51:
Look, it is simply not acceptable, from my consumer perspective, to decide to implement a login system and persisent internet connection that negatively impacts MY ACCESS to a game that I paid for in single player play.

But this is a dead horse and it's done.

Meh, 3 hours of downtime in the middle of day 1 isn't the worst thing in the world. It could get worse though, we'll see.

I'm old enough to remember having to manually configure my PC's memory just to get new releases to run- and don't even get me started on having to download a patch (in the few cases there was one) via a long distance modem call.

My only complaint so far is that I'm forced to play "Normal" mode first- which is way too easy.

94. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:03 MacLeod

Verno wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:56:
7 hours

People have speed run every game out there, it doesn't really mean anything. Most players will take several times longer than that as they will fail at parts, do sidequests, etc.

I have to agree... especially since it took two hours for me to run through the beta, exploring everything, etc. I'm not to concerned about speed runners. I'd almost be willing to bet that after the speed run, they go back and play the game to actually play it as well.

What I'm more curious about is the screenshots... apparently Diablo went on a diet or something for the past 20 years. His limbs are very thin and such, almost looks like a female demon.

93. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:00 FloorPie

Oddly enough I'm not as happy seeing all the complaints as I thought I would be. Probably because the beta demo got me hooked dammit, mostly to play with friends online and I bought a copy.

The problems dont surprise me though, my gut told me they'd screw up the launch for this, despite having far fewer problems with WoW in the past 2-3 years. Cata was mostly fine as was LK. Its usually the new raid instances that had/have the most problems. Lots of interest in D3 across the board equals many wanting to play all on release day. How shocking.

I'm guessing I'll regret getting SC2 more than this game even though at least SC2 can be played offline. I won't be bothering with SC2 expansions unless they're $20 or less as I just don't play the game.

Also, anyone tried it on an intel GMA laptop vid card yet? I'm wondering how well my laptop will run the game.

92. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:57 FU

this was to be expected. back to Warlock: Master of the Arcane for a little bit.  

91. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:56 Verno

7 hours

People have speed run every game out there, it doesn't really mean anything. Most players will take several times longer than that as they will fail at parts, do sidequests, etc.

Being mad about it is wasted energy, especially when we all knew this was inevitably what was going to happen.

To be fair it's not really wasted, they are just redirecting energy that would have gone into playing the game I do feel bad for people who took the day off to play the game but hey, a day off work is still a day off work.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

90. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:53 Cutter

7 hours

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

89. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:51 Darks

Verno wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:37:
NKD wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:34:
I got dyes off the merchant kind of off to the left in New Tristram in Act 1. Not sure what level.

Weird, he never had any for me. Oh well, maybe it was just my level was too low, thanks for the heads up.

Is the game really that short? I'm hearing people are breezing through it in a matter of hours. Wow, if that's the case. I guess they have a lot of paid content in the pipe.

There's a lot of people speed running the game for bragging rights. I haven't finished it yet but doing Act 1 took me 8ish hours. Can't login right now and it's spitting out the wrong error messages btw.

Iím really glad I didnít take the day off like I was thinking about doing. Would have been pissed since the servers are down and couldnít play. Just think about all those who did take the day off and are now sitting around stewing over this. Pretty bad on Blizzs part, they should have expected there was going to be a massive amount of people trying to get on and play. You would think after WOW, Star Craft 2 they would have this down to a T by now.

And nin, I had no issues at the time I was on, I canít comment on the past few hours.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

88. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:51 Overon

Look, it is simply not acceptable, from my consumer perspective, to decide to implement a login system and persisent internet connection that negatively impacts MY ACCESS to a game that I paid for in single player play.

But this is a dead horse and it's done.

87. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:48 Krovven

MadBoris wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:38:
Frankly, it doesn't matter if they took the server down to glaze it in gold.

People bought a game, they were sold it with some agreement they may be able to actually play it. They paid. They can't play what they paid for!

Please stop defending Blizzard, you look like real fools, they could have been ready if they wanted to be.
They wanted to save costs at other people's inconvenience, at the end of the day, that is business, that is Blizzard, a dev house all about business.

Who's defending them? We all want to be playing right now and can't. Most of us also expected exactly what is occurring today. This isn't the first massively popular online game on launch day that we've experienced. In fact I don't think any of us have experienced a smooth launch for an online game of this magnitude ever.

Online/offline argument for D3 is just beating a dead horse. Blizzard considers it an online game and that's the reality we have to deal with. Or you don't by the game and you don't have to deal with it.

The extended downtime, just gives me some more turns on Warlock.

286 Replies. 15 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo