Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Diablo III

Battle.net announces the extended wait for Diablo III is now over, and the action/RPG sequel should now be available worldwide. For anyone getting error messages from the game, this article may help you work out what's wrong, and here's word on the release:

Twenty years have passed since the Prime Evils were defeated and banished from the world of Sanctuary. Now you must return to Tristram and investigate rumors of a fallen star, an omen that the End Times have begun.

Diablo III is now live and available at a store near you -- or you can click here to purchase a digital copy directly through Blizzard. The game is available at retailers in both a standard and Collector's Edition. Visit our Diablo III game information page or search the Game Guide to learn more about this highly anticipated third installment in the Diablo series.

View
286 Replies. 15 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

146. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 17:14 ASeven

Dmitri_M wrote on May 15, 2012, 17:09:
Don't twist my words and apply them to something I never directly endorsed.

But this is a nice way to show the danger of a slippery slope. People didn't take a strong stand and now we have this, same with any position in gaming. If something has the potential to turn bad it will.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

145. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 17:13 MadBoris

They could have used Steam, but this is where the money is for them, private control.

They could have allowed single player to be single player on Steam, and I imagine about anything they wanted with MP.

144. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 17:12 Krovven

MadBoris wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:53:
What may be stranger still, is that there is still a horde of Blizz fanboys still actively dismissing issues on the D3 boards, aggressively at those that bring up the obvious. It's like a blind cult.

Then there is polar opposite folks that are bitching and trolling the boards when they didn't even buy the game. You balance each other out.

143. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 17:09 Dmitri_M

Agent.X7 wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:28:
Dmitri_M wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:22:
entr0py wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:33:
Dmitri_M wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:15:
How invasive is the required internet connection for SP?

I'm on a handcranked internet connection in the centre of the jungle. Is it just a once off login or something more..diabolical?

Diabolical. It's not just a check at the beginning, every moment needs to be authenticated with the server, and if there's too much lag you can experience rubber-banding in single-player. Think of it like an MMO instance with a population of you.

Ah. Glad I didn't buy it then. I just checked and the closest server to my location is on the otherside of the planet. Minimum 250 ping. Why the hell would they do that to the sp?

How would you even buy it if you're in the center of the jungle? Do you get Monkey Express delivery?
Diablo 3 is the number 1 title selling at my local banana leaf lined store. I'm afraid many of my fellow baboons are going to be very sad when they get home.

ASeven wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:41:

Ah. Glad I didn't buy it then. I just checked and the closest server to my location is on the otherside of the planet. Minimum 250 ping. Why the hell would they do that to the sp?

Because people dismissed every complaint about online SP as hyperbole game activism.
Don't twist my words and apply them to something I never directly endorsed.

142. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 17:04 Cutter

We all understnd Actiblizz wanting to monetize the shit out of anything they can but even with the AH they could have an online and offline component for SP. Anything dealing with the AH would obviously only come from authenticated online play. Those who don't care about that nonsense aren't dependent on it. I still really want this game, but I just can't reward this sort of bad corporate behaviour. Also same thing, if someone has a code to spare I'll take it. I was one of those 64 bit people who couldn't get the effing beta installed to even check it out.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

141. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 17:00 Creston

One thing I will say : be glad this game didn't come out on consoles. At least blizzard can test and implement fixes for stuff in a fairly fast manner.

If Sony and MS had been involved, you'd have had to wait about a month for that patch. As people who are playing ME3 have been. (two months and counting, and rather than fixing bugs, the game gets more of them every week.)

Still doesn't justify what's happening today, but Blizzard knew they could get away with it, so they did it.

Creston

140. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 17:00 ASeven

MadBoris wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:53:

Because people dismissed every complaint about online SP as hyperbole game activism.

What may be stranger still, is that there is still a horde of Blizz fanboys still actively dismissing issues on the D3 boards, aggressively at those that bring up the obvious. It's like a blind cult.

There is like a list of several real bad things Blizz did with this game, purely from a gamers perspective, good bottom line decisions though. Inability to log in to play SP and lagging in SP have to be close to the top of the list of effects of bad decisions.

Fanboys of any kind are the scrouge of any industry and the gaming industry has more than its share of them. Fan, short for fanatic, that says it all.

139. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:53 MadBoris

There is like a list of several real bad things Blizz did with this game, purely from a gamers perspective, good bottom line decisions though. Inability to log in to play SP and lagging in SP have to be close to the top of the list of effects of bad decisions.

138. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:48 eunichron

Slashman wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:24:
WarChilde wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:21:
Slashman wrote on May 15, 2012, 15:16:
You actually lose progress when your game drops. You can't save so you are plunked back in the game with whole areas that you had explored now fogged out again(at least according to one of the first impression reviews). I mean I can't imagine what it would be like to have just nearly beat a hard boss and have your connection drop(either on your end or Blizzard's servers and have to do over the whole section that you just played through).

This is nearly the same as D2 (both single and online play). But in D2 you always restarted in town. In D3 you start at the last checkpoint.

Which is fine if you're in a multiplayer game with people who keep the instance progress, but if you're playing solo its just a big, annoying do-over. D2 also had checkpoints.

If you're playing alone, you progress is screwed. That's wonderful!!!!

I don't think you understand. The way it works in D3 is similar to the way it worked in Diablo 2. The only difference at all is that in D3 you start at the dungeon checkpoint (there are checkpoints and waypoints in D3... checkpoints save your progress automatically, waypoints work as they did in D2), rather than in town as in D2. D3 actually puts you closer back to the action than Diablo 2 or Diablo 1 did. And I haven't had any issues at all with losing progress.

137. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:41 ASeven

136. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:41 MadBoris

Stin wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:37:
If anyone's willing to share a Starter Edition code, I'd be very grateful.

If you were in the closed beta, or have a game registered with battle.net, you can go into your battle.net account and download it right now. That's what I heard, I can't verify though.

135. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:39 MadBoris

Krovven wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:36:
Another hour at least. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5051765603

They should have had a beta so they could work out some of these first day bugs.

134. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:38 everyone

Because they know that for every person it turns off, there will be thousands of morons that will buy it regardless. There's plenty of proof in this very thread.

133. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:38 nin

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:33:
Wildone wrote on May 15, 2012, 15:59:
Its my fault the fucking servers are down or overloaded...*claps*

It's the fucking Catalina Wine Mixer!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

132. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:37 Stin

If anyone's willing to share a Starter Edition code, I'd be very grateful.  
--
Stin

131. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:36 Krovven

Another hour at least. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5051765603  

130. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:33 Cutter

Wildone wrote on May 15, 2012, 15:59:
Its my fault the fucking servers are down or overloaded...*claps*

It's the fucking Catalina Wine Mixer!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

129. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:28 Agent.X7

entr0py wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:33:
Dmitri_M wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:15:
How invasive is the required internet connection for SP?

I'm on a handcranked internet connection in the centre of the jungle. Is it just a once off login or something more..diabolical?

Diabolical. It's not just a check at the beginning, every moment needs to be authenticated with the server, and if there's too much lag you can experience rubber-banding in single-player. Think of it like an MMO instance with a population of you.

How would you even buy it if you're in the center of the jungle? Do you get Monkey Express delivery?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

128. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:26 Agent.X7

Agrikaan wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:22:
You can start!? I can't even login...

I got about an hour or so in before my router tweeked and knocked me out of the game. I fixed the wireless just in time for the servers to come down. Awesome.

Luckily, I own a game store. Prototype 2 until the servers come back.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

127. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 16:24 Slashman

WarChilde wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:21:
Slashman wrote on May 15, 2012, 15:16:
You actually lose progress when your game drops. You can't save so you are plunked back in the game with whole areas that you had explored now fogged out again(at least according to one of the first impression reviews). I mean I can't imagine what it would be like to have just nearly beat a hard boss and have your connection drop(either on your end or Blizzard's servers and have to do over the whole section that you just played through).

This is nearly the same as D2 (both single and online play). But in D2 you always restarted in town. In D3 you start at the last checkpoint.

Which is fine if you're in a multiplayer game with people who keep the instance progress, but if you're playing solo its just a big, annoying do-over. D2 also had checkpoints.

If you're playing alone, you progress is screwed. That's wonderful!!!!

286 Replies. 15 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo