Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

38 Studios in Financial Trouble?

A Rhode Island news report says 38 Studios is in financial distress, and the developer founded by former major league pitcher Curt Schilling is in discussions with the state on how to stay afloat. "We're always working to keep Rhode Island companies solvent, and that's what we're doing with 38 Studios," said Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee. "We're working with 38 Studios on different issues. That's all I can report right now." 38 Studios moved to Rhode Island in September after securing $75 million in loan guarantees from the state. Their first game, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, was released in February, but the story cites NPD data saying the game has sold only around 410K copies across three platforms. Thanks Strategy Informer.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 15, 2012, 03:56 netnerd85

More than happy to buy Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning when the camera gets fixed, didn't like how it was in the Demo. Lots of people are requesting a patch, they got some DLC instead.

F**k'em if they won't support the game. Easy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 15, 2012, 03:55 NKD

What the fuck. Time for a security upgrade Blue.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. removed May 15, 2012, 03:27 chenhan

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 15, 2012, 04:43.

14. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 15, 2012, 03:12 OldTimber

The free-market speaks simple as that.  

13. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 23:39 PropheT

Steele Johnson wrote on May 14, 2012, 23:19:
I think the game is a lot of fun.

Me too, I really enjoyed it a lot.

I don't know that I can completely disagree with people's complaints, though. If Amalur did have a flaw, it was that it didn't have any punch behind its personality.

12. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 23:22 Jonah14

Annex wrote on May 14, 2012, 21:57:
They should have gone the route of Torchlight, make a small and relatively simple game first on a low budget and see how the studio/team works and then aim higher.

Schilling was and is a huge MMO fan and 38 Studios was explicitly founded to make an MMO.

11. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 23:19 Steele Johnson

I think the game is a lot of fun.  

10. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 23:00 eRe4s3r

Yeah... Amalur was huge with little in it. Kinda sad.. the world and feel was pretty decent but devoid of any charm, the combat system just needed more RPG'ish layers to it and the characters and dialog more depth and less mass. Everything in Amalur was just kinda dumbed down and way too much quantity.. and then it had 0 moddability to boot. No wonder it died a quick death

It didn't help that the combat while it felt great was terribly shallow. And the magic system was a joke, sneaking was not developed properly, and most factions quests were terrible. There were maybe 2 or 3 memorable quests in Amalur, the rest was just so.. generic

9. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 23:00 Jerykk

KoA:R was so utterly generic. It's pretty rare that I play an RPG that doesn't grasp me at all. Even the Dark Eye RPGs were more interesting and those were pretty damn generic.

If you're going to make a fantasy RPG, you need to add some sort of twist. The Witcher is an interesting setting because it's interwoven with a lot of relevant themes like politics and racism. Elder Scrolls is interesting because of the sheer diversity of its races and locales. Dragon Age was interesting for the same reasons as The Witcher. Arcanum was interesting because it mixed steampunk with magic and focused on the conflict between them. Kingdoms of Amalur? Not interesting at all. There's no hook, nothing that stands out. For all intents and purposes, it's a single-player MMO and that's the greatest criticism you can give any RPG.

8. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 22:37 Slashman

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on May 14, 2012, 22:27:
Cutter wrote on May 14, 2012, 22:02:
Well, thats what happens when you try to make a console/pc hybrid/wow clone. I couldn't even bother finishing it. Far too repetitious in art assets, tedious quests, combat, etc. No jumping sucked. They went far too much for style over substance and that is why they fail. How on earth they think an MMO with the same crap is going to be some huge hit is beyond me. The taxpayers of RI should tell the govnor to pull the plug while they can.

Actually, I never even made it that far to find out all that stuff. As far as I was concerned the story just seemed extremely generic and failed to hook me at all. Which I found really dissappointing because I really like RA Salvatores stuff.

Salvatore became a victim of his own ego and Wizards of the Coast's milking.

The first couple of Dark Elf trilogies were great but nothing after that was worth much. I had some hopes for the Cleric Quintet, but those got dashed rather quickly...

7. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 22:27 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Cutter wrote on May 14, 2012, 22:02:
Well, thats what happens when you try to make a console/pc hybrid/wow clone. I couldn't even bother finishing it. Far too repetitious in art assets, tedious quests, combat, etc. No jumping sucked. They went far too much for style over substance and that is why they fail. How on earth they think an MMO with the same crap is going to be some huge hit is beyond me. The taxpayers of RI should tell the govnor to pull the plug while they can.

Actually, I never even made it that far to find out all that stuff. As far as I was concerned the story just seemed extremely generic and failed to hook me at all. Which I found really dissappointing because I really like RA Salvatores stuff.

6. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 22:19 Dades

Annex wrote on May 14, 2012, 21:57:
They should have gone the route of Torchlight, make a small and relatively simple game first on a low budget and see how the studio/team works and then aim higher.

Yep, they overreached and ended up with an average title that won't even come close to breaking even. A shame because a lot of people will lose their jobs.

5. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 22:02 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

4. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 21:57 Annex

3. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 21:42 Jonah14

I think Big Huge Games tricked 38 Studios into making their Fable-style game for them.  

2. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 21:29 Rattlehead

This sucks, as a citizen of Providence we need all the jobs we can get and it's nice to say "Hey this game was created in my own backyard." Plus Curt Schilling is awesome.

KoA to me was very fun, the only thing I would change is make the game more difficult. Other than that it was a great purchase and a very solid debut for this company.

1. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 21:26 Smellfinger

"The state said its backing would help the company bring hundreds of jobs and millions of dollars of tax revenue to the state."

Mediocre video game development is going to stimulate the economy!

...or not.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo