Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details

Battle.net offers details on Blizzard's plan to offer Diablo III Starter Editions & Guest Passes for the action/RPG that's going live tomorrow (which means it's already live in territories where it's tomorrow already). They say the Diablo III Starter Edition will not be available without a Guest Pass until further notice, and that Guest Pass keys are included in all box copies of Diablo III. Here's what the Starter version will include:

• Act I up to the Skeleton King is available
  • Level 13 cap
  • Matchmaking available only with other Starter Edition players
  • No Real Money Auction House access

View
89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

29. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 01:00 Angrius Maximis

This starter edition is perfect for idiots like Blues News readers that arent sure if this will be a good game

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 00:54 LittleMe

Jerykk wrote on May 14, 2012, 23:41:
Sepharo wrote on May 14, 2012, 23:37:
DangerDog wrote on May 14, 2012, 23:30:
It's going to be "hell" trying to play this game the first few weeks.

just read the joys of server lag and auto-disconnects over on rockpapershotgun.

So just play singleplayer.

Single-player requires a log-in and constant online connection just like multiplayer. If you lose your connection, you get booted out of the game (and will likely lose progress) even if you're playing single-player. It's basically the same as UbiDRM, only people are ignoring that fact because it's Diablo 3.

I'm quite sure that Sepharo meant it as one of his many sarcastic jokes.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

27. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 00:27 entr0py

Jerykk wrote on May 14, 2012, 23:41:

Single-player requires a log-in and constant online connection just like multiplayer. If you lose your connection, you get booted out of the game (and will likely lose progress) even if you're playing single-player. It's basically the same as UbiDRM, only people are ignoring that fact because it's Diablo 3.

I wouldn't say we ignore it because it's Diablo 3, we only tolerate it because it's Diablo 3.

It's actually much much worse than UbiDRM. I played the last HOMM game in beta. Your every action wasn't checked with the server, and I never got disconnected or experienced any lag. Unlike my brief playthrough of the Diablo III beta demo which had rubber-banding and disconnects.

But most importantly, you could still play truly offline games with a fairly mild penalty in equipment. If Blizzard just had a similar offline option, I'd be happy.

This comment was edited on May 15, 2012, 02:27.

26. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 00:05 Bucky

As excited as I am for Diablo 3, it's kinda nice that my copy won't be here until sometime Tuesday afternoon--I figure by then a least a few of the server kinks will have been worked out.

Does anyone know how many guest passes we get? I've got two promised to friends, but I'd be happy to share the rest with the Blue's crowd.

25. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 00:00 MadBoris

Live streaming Hardcore game going on right now...About to get to a new boss, new content...

http://www.twitch.tv/acemore

24. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 23:50 Kitkoan

Doubt many people will play Hell difficulty mode for a few weeks anyways...

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

23. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 23:47 MadBoris

Sepharo wrote on May 14, 2012, 22:14:
MadBoris wrote on May 14, 2012, 21:51:
Kitkoan wrote on May 14, 2012, 21:30:
So the starter edition is just the demo with a fancy name?

No, not at all.
It's Blizzard's super saavy marketing strategies, something most gamers minds cannot withstand.

More posting from MadBoris will reveal if this comment is funny or sad.

Late welcome to Blue's.

It's a lot of pressure.
Lemme just say this, apparently you may be able to download the Starter Edition already. I heard you can go into your battlenet profile. I can't verify it though.

P.S. Thx for the welcome

22. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 23:41 Jerykk

21. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 23:41 DangerDog

ha ha ha

very funny.

20. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 23:38 xXBatmanXx

ding ding ding. Going to bed soon to get up early to try it out before a lunch meeting.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 23:37 Sepharo

18. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 23:30 DangerDog

17. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 23:25 MadBoris

A little O.T., but how long do you think the queues will be tonight?

How long will you have to wait in line to play the game?
If it's long, people will be miffed.

They should do a maintenance outage on WOW, use all those servers for D3, then they may be able to handle the onslaught.

16. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 23:08 eunichron

I'll definitely share my key once I get my copy. All of my friends have either bought the game already or refuse to buy it, so it's up for grabs.  

15. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 23:08 Mashiki Amiketo

Drezden wrote on May 14, 2012, 21:39:
Rattlehead wrote on May 14, 2012, 21:30:
Why bother unlocking the game PST? Why leave fans waiting till 3 am to play on the East Coast?

Because they don't give a shit about the east coast. It was always the same thing with WoW as I recall.
I remember the last 3 wow expansions being available pretty much as soon as you installed them. I was able to play at 12:30pm est for cataclysm.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

14. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 22:57 Kitkoan

Here's an interesting thing, who here has any of these Starter Edition keys and who would be interested in one? Maybe people can share this here? Like the whole Blues News family/regulars sharing with one another. Maybe not post the keys here on the forum but maybe share through email or Steam or whatnot?  

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

13. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 22:41 loomy

the demo key will be worth at least $10 on ebay. blizzard probably isnt sure what to do about this part of the business, so they'll wait to see what it is worth.  

12. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 22:28 eRe4s3r

Game already released here, is not startable, server overloaded.. HAHA

(German auth servers were at least down 2 hours ago.. ,p) Not sure about "whenever you read this" ;p And no, I did not buy it.. boycott!

11. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 22:14 Sepharo

MadBoris wrote on May 14, 2012, 21:51:
Kitkoan wrote on May 14, 2012, 21:30:
So the starter edition is just the demo with a fancy name?

No, not at all.
It's Blizzard's super saavy marketing strategies, something most gamers minds cannot withstand.

More posting from MadBoris will reveal if this comment is funny or sad.

Late welcome to Blue's.

10. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 22:13 Ventura

Why bother unlocking the game PST? Why leave fans waiting till 3 am to play on the East Coast?

Aww 3am mate, breaks my heart. Out here on the west coast of Australia the servers don't come up until 3pm.

What's the point of going to all the trouble of having a worldwide release day if some of us basically have to wait until the next day before we can play? I shifted my day off from Tuesday to Wednesday because of it.

89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo