Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details

Battle.net offers details on Blizzard's plan to offer Diablo III Starter Editions & Guest Passes for the action/RPG that's going live tomorrow (which means it's already live in territories where it's tomorrow already). They say the Diablo III Starter Edition will not be available without a Guest Pass until further notice, and that Guest Pass keys are included in all box copies of Diablo III. Here's what the Starter version will include:

• Act I up to the Skeleton King is available
  • Level 13 cap
  • Matchmaking available only with other Starter Edition players
  • No Real Money Auction House access

View
89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

69. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 08:44 ASeven

Holy shit, just watched someone on twitch.tv finish the game in Nightmare mode in under 8 hours.

Is this game this short?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 08:40 Verno

Took a few tries to get in but was able to make my dudes and add a bunch of friends then head to work. Lots of timeout messages and other issues, clearly server related problems. Hopefully things will stabilize over the next few days.

I'll have to powerlevel to 10 after work so I can make my hardcore Witch Doctor, I forgot about that requirement. My GeForce 670 arrived this morning and someone bid on my D3 CE copy on ebay, it's like Christmas in May

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

67. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 08:17 ASeven

Hmmm, appears a lot of the twitch.tv live streaming guys are rather disappointed with the game. Not that it's bad but just not as good as they hoped.

EDIT: Amongst the complains are too easy, looks bland, looks too much like a WoW clone in gfx terms, too short.

66. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 07:56 Julio

No problems for me getting in and playing over the past 5 hours...  

65. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 07:22 Dev

I know there's unique benefits (banner, wings, etc) to having a collectors edition of D3, but are there any other things for banners, etc?

This comment was edited on May 15, 2012, 11:54.

64. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 07:14 DG

So, any guest passes going spare?

edit: EU here

This comment was edited on May 15, 2012, 09:23.

63. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 07:01 InBlack

Diablo 3 review, lol!

I have a nifty blue line!

62. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 06:46 InBlack

AnointedSword wrote on May 15, 2012, 04:31:
lol I can tell you never owned a business.

I can tell you dont give a shit about your customers.

61. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 06:43 Dev

NKD wrote on May 15, 2012, 03:48:
Unfortunately it's not as simple as "Lets throw dollar bills around until the problem is solved!" Depending on how they are set up, there are logistical concerns with bringing massive server capacity online that will not be needed for more than a day or two. It's not the same as say, a simple website, where you can rent some time on some Amazon cluster and be done with it.
Actually it IS that simple. Because blizzard has long experience with past hugely successful games (WoW, starcraft, etc), and they've had plenty of time to make sure the server setup is easily scalable, and reduce the logistical concerns. They literally have no excuse for this stuff. If they needed to stress test it more, they should have had an longer open stress test like they've done in the past with huh lemme see, diablo 2 wasn't it?

They've had plenty of money and time to get this done, and they've had time to see how popular pre-orders were (both for digital and physical game) and prepare for this, and money isn't a concern for blizzard.

This comment was edited on May 15, 2012, 06:51.

60. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 05:06 Cutter

Well, I guess Blizzard is just too cool to do a regular demo like everyone else.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

59. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 04:57 Krovven

After trying for about an hour of copy and pasting my password, I retyped my email and logged in no problem. Had a problem creating the character, quit out and logged back in again without issue.

If you are still getting Error 37, clear your login info and retype it, see if it works.

58. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 04:49 Mashiki Amiketo

eunichron wrote on May 15, 2012, 04:44:

I was doing the same and was about to give up and try tomorrow. Saw that my friend got his to work, so I did the same and got in almost instantly. Whether or not it was the restarting that did it, the circumstantial evidence is there!
Circumstantial is all good. It gives hope! Finally managed to get my character created, and am in the game. Off to enjoy myself for a few hours. Cheers to anyone else who makes it in.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

57. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 04:44 eunichron

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 15, 2012, 04:41:
eunichron wrote on May 15, 2012, 04:31:
Restarted my computer and got in game in a few tries after that, worked for my friend also. Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. Game is not laggy at all once you get in, steady 60ms here.
Restarting doesn't have much to do about it. I'm waiting for my baclofen to kick in, so not much to do but wait and wait, and wait, and wait, while trying to do it comfortably. And managed to get past the initial error 37, to get an error 3006(too many people trying to log in).

4 attempts later I'm finally at character creation.

I was doing the same and was about to give up and try tomorrow. Saw that my friend got his to work, so I did the same and got in almost instantly. Whether or not it was the restarting that did it, the circumstantial evidence is there!

56. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 04:41 Mashiki Amiketo

eunichron wrote on May 15, 2012, 04:31:
Restarted my computer and got in game in a few tries after that, worked for my friend also. Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. Game is not laggy at all once you get in, steady 60ms here.
Restarting doesn't have much to do about it. I'm waiting for my baclofen to kick in, so not much to do but wait and wait, and wait, and wait, while trying to do it comfortably(protip: never get a spinal cord injury). And managed to get past the initial error 37, to get an error 3006(too many people trying to log in).

4 attempts later I'm finally at character creation. With a 3006 after trying to create my character.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

55. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 04:32 AnointedSword

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 15, 2012, 04:21:
They probably wouldn't have had the problem of the servers choking to death if they'd staggered the release across timezones instead of waiting for everyone to go at 12amPST(except asia).

Yes I agree, but people were crying to start at the same time! Oo

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

54. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 04:31 eunichron

53. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 04:31 AnointedSword

lol I can tell you never owned a business.  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

52. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 04:24 Flatline

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 15, 2012, 04:21:
They probably wouldn't have had the problem of the servers choking to death if they'd staggered the release across timezones instead of waiting for everyone to go at 12amPST(except asia).

QFT. Also according to the twitter feed it may be "a long time" before you can get hold of a human if you call Blizzard.

Which reminds me that they fired a bunch of people from CS like... a couple or three months ago. Like, a *lot* of people, including folks who had been working there for years.

Bravo Blizzard. Bravo.

51. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 04:21 Mashiki Amiketo

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

50. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 04:04 InBlack

NKD wrote on May 15, 2012, 03:48:
Teddy wrote on May 15, 2012, 03:40:
NKD wrote on May 15, 2012, 03:32:
Servers for a hugely anticipated game are overloaded early on? YOU DON'T SAY!

No one's especially shocked that it's busy. That doesn't mean that they can't or shouldn't be annoyed by the fact that Blizzard (who obviously has the money to do so) didn't bother renting enough hardware to ease the initial rush of people into the game.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as "Lets throw dollar bills around until the problem is solved!" Depending on how they are set up, there are logistical concerns with bringing massive server capacity online that will not be needed for more than a day or two. It's not the same as say, a simple website, where you can rent some time on some Amazon cluster and be done with it.

Ok lets assume its about 10x as expensive to have this kind of massive server capacity for a day or two. This is Blizzard we are talking about, they make that up kind of money half an hour after the midnight sale started. Its unaceptable behavior and should not be excused.

89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo