Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed

The Eidos Forums have word that Crystal Dynamics' reboot of Tomb Raider is delayed until the first quarter of next year, after being planned for release this year. Here's a statement from Darrell Gallagher, the Crystal Dynamics studio head:

When Crystal Dynamics first set out to reboot the Tomb Raider franchise, there were two goals that we were extremely passionate about. The first was to create a modern Tomb Raider game that would surprise and excite gamers. The second was to make this the best game of our careers, something we would be really proud to be a part of. We truly believe that we have something very special on our hands and we can’t wait to share it with you.

Our priority now is to make sure we fully deliver the very highest quality game. In order to do this, we have decided to move the game’s release date by a few months, from Fall 2012 to the first quarter of 2013.

We’re doing things that are completely new to Tomb Raider in this game and the additional development time will allow us to put the finishing touches into the game and polish it to a level that you deserve. We believe this is the right choice and I guarantee it will be worth the wait. The game is looking amazing and we can't wait to show it to everyone at E3 in a few weeks.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 19:21 Mangrove

Sho wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:59:
TR for me is about traversing environments, often long since untouched by humans, and filled with a sort of serene ambience - occassionally interrupted by wild animals. I like getting around in a place and figuring out how it works. If I want strong emphasis on combat I grab an FPS.

Same here. Exploration and the sense of discovery is what TR is about for me.

And occasionally swinging the camera around so I get a good look at Lara's arse.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 19:18 Jerykk

I'm not too worried about it becoming action-centric. From what I've read, there's a heavy emphasis on survival with makeshift weapons and limited ammo. I'm more concerned about the platforming and puzzle elements being dumbed down for the sake of broader appeal.  

17. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 19:13 Ray Marden

Yes, sigh. That will teach me to not check the site in my free time between meetings.

I have changed it to be "...not focus heavily on combat." To me, the series has never been a shooter and the combat elements have always felt out of place and have slowed down the game.

When I think about some of my favorite parts in the series, I think about the first time I saw an area, the time I managed to make a feat of jumps to get a secret, the challenge of beating the timer, etc. Never once have I gone "It was cool when I just jumped from side to side shooting that thing."
Rushing + lazy fingers = fail.
The tipo typo king,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

16. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 18:09 Longjocks

It's a bit too wordy for me. Just say "It's currently shit and we need time to fix it before release." Done.  

15. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 17:50 NegaDeath

Dmitri_M wrote on May 14, 2012, 16:39:
I hope the reboot features improved jiggle physics simulation.

An entire CPU core is dedicated just to that.

14. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 16:55 Quboid

Ray Marden wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:48:
Remake or not, hoping it does focus heavily on combat,
Ray

So not with you on that :). TR for me is about traversing environments, often long since untouched by humans, and filled with a sort of serene ambience - occassionally interrupted by wild animals. I like getting around in a place and figuring out how it works. If I want strong emphasis on combat I grab an FPS.

Typo, Ray?

- Quboid

13. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 16:39 Dmitri_M

I hope the reboot features improved jiggle physics simulation.  

12. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 15:34 cronik

With these games I prefer more emphasis on puzzle solving than combat. I never finished Legend because I felt it was combat heavy and not satisfying, but I did enjoy Anniversary and Underworld.  

11. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 14:22 theyarecomingforyou

So not with you on that :). TR for me is about traversing environments, often long since untouched by humans, and filled with a sort of serene ambience - occassionally interrupted by wild animals. I like getting around in a place and figuring out how it works. If I want strong emphasis on combat I grab an FPS.
Indeed. I love the puzzle solving, though the action is great to break things up a bit. As for the setting, it really doesn't seem like much of a departure to me. I loved the previous games by Crystal Dynamics and I'll almost certainly pick this one up.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

10. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 13:13 space captain

womb raider  
Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 12:59 Sho

Ray Marden wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:48:
Remake or not, hoping it does focus heavily on combat,
Ray

8. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 12:48 Ray Marden

I am definitely interested in this one, but I do not really see what they are changing. Or rather, I generally always assumed this was how Lara Croft grew up.

Personally, I wish they would continue the series in new direction, though I realize a remake appealing to tweens is preferred route for most developers. I mean, where are they going to go from this game that does not head down the same general path as all the others?
Give me puzzles and exploration with some new settings and ideas.
Remake or not, hoping it does not focus heavily on combat,
Ray

This comment was edited on May 14, 2012, 19:09.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

7. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 12:43 NegaDeath

Between this and and Bioshock being delayed until next year I might just have a chance to clear my backlog.  

6. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 12:42 Tumbler

Seems like the foot print of the larger AAA titles this year is scaring away a lot of competition. I think we're going to see GTAV, AC3, BLOPS2, Warfighter, and maybe a large expansion for ME3 at some point before christmas?

Looks like word is getting out about what people will be showing at e3 and the smaller titles are running for cover. (the less competitive months in March of 2013)

Should be an interesting E3.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

5. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 12:37 Jerykk

Really hope they don't dumb this down. Last thing we need is Tomb Raider's Creed.  

4. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 11:49 Agent.X7

Arg! I am looking forward to this. The interviews make it seem like they want to make her more like Nathan Drake, fallible and therefore more human. Plus, the game looks great.

Ah well, plenty to do until then.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

3. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 11:44 Sho

RollinThundr wrote on May 14, 2012, 11:00:
Didn't they just reboot this franchise a couple games ago?

Sorta-kinda, but not really. What Legend (the first TR by Crystal Dynamics) did was to change/retcon the character bio a little bit, but the broad strokes remained the same, and more importantly so did the conception of the character (i.e. Lara's attitude, poise, sense of self, place in the universe - however you want to put it). Underworld continued Legend's story arc, and inbetween the two Anniversary was a faithful remake of the original first TR (that actually managed to improve on it, and comes with a completely awesome audio commentary by Toby Gard and the lead designer of the remake).

What the new one is doing is a more significant reboot of the character bio, and it's an origin story on top, with Lara's coming of age tale becoming the game's plot and being set on a mysterious island (rather than the classic plain crash in Tibet that Legend dealt with extensively). In the context of that it's also showing Lara as an unrefined, young adventurer who hasn't had to prove herself yet, is unprepared for what happens to her and struggles to function under the circumstances. The idea is that at the end of the game, her preserverence will have sort of planted the seed of the Lara that we've seen in previous games.

That makes for a significant change in tone: In all previous games, Lara was basically a comic-like, larger than life super-heroine. The previous CD games already toyed a little with giving greater insight into her emotional life, but they didn't go very far. Now they want to show a "more real" Lara, a Lara prone to things like denial and tears. The idea being that the player will be able to sort of slip below the hard-edged surface of the old Lara by intimately getting to know the character before she becomes her later self.

Paraphrasing interviews I've read, the reason they're doing this is because they're afraid the franchise formula and the character have become a bit stale, and they want to reintroduce the character and give players new reasons to care.

I can't quite argue with the need to change things up a bit, but the reason I was initially apprehensive was that I actually like Lara as an over the top comic heroine. There's something to be said for archetypal characters, I don't need to see all my video game heroes cry. Realism isn't equal to quality. That said, they've managed to communicate their vision so effectively over the last year (also for future games to follow this one, apparently they have a big arc in store for the character) that they've pretty much convinced me, and the four games they did so far certainly prove they can turn out good gameplay and are starting from a place where they "get" the franchise. We'll see how things turn out, but it's hard not to get swept up in their ambition and drive hearing them talk about stuff.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2012, 11:54.

2. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 11:00 RollinThundr

Sho wrote on May 14, 2012, 10:46:
Well, they're certainly bold and confident.

I'm a TR fan (well, at least of the first two, the fourth, and the four last games by Crystal Dynamics), but the notion of a reboot and prequel didn't excite me at first. They've slowly turned me around to a point where I'm at least intrigued, though, and I guess after four good Lara games they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Didn't they just reboot this franchise a couple games ago?

1. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 10:46 Sho

Well, they're certainly bold and confident.

I'm a TR fan (well, at least of the first two, the fourth, and the four last games by Crystal Dynamics), but the notion of a reboot and prequel didn't excite me at first. They've slowly turned me around to a point where I'm at least intrigued, though, and I guess after four good Lara games they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo