Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SQUARE ENIX Results

In news semi-related to the story above, SQUARE ENIX HOLDINGS announces its financial results for their fiscal year that concluded on March 31st. The company explains its return to profitability thanks to strong performance of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Final Fantasy XIII-2, and its optimistic outlook for the future:

"During the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012, the Group's results were favorable due to increased sales of console games boosted by our major titles, DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION (North America, Europe and Japan, in order of release) and FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 (Japan, North America and Europe, ditto), as well as continued expansion of content from growth areas such as the web and smartphones.

In the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012, we continued our efforts aimed at increasing profitability, including establishing best practices for the content in said growth areas, improving quality of our major online game, and strengthening our global structure. We are accelerating the reformation to generate a substantial earnings improvement in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013 and beyond."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. removed May 15, 2012, 03:30 chenhan

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 15, 2012, 04:45.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 20:39 sauron

SimplyMonk wrote on May 14, 2012, 14:46:
sauron wrote on May 14, 2012, 14:25:
Pretty much the entire FFXI community left to go to FFXIV when it came out, took one look at it and went straight back to XI (me included).

Is the re-tuning they are doing with FFXIV making any headway with the community? I just got an e-mail about their welcome back campaign, but haven't had the time to give it a look yet.

I'm not really sure and suspect not. The game was so half-baked on release it was almost totally raw. It needed like 3 years' work to be even reasonably decent.

Sadly, I doubt any game gets that kind of leeway in today's market.

Kittens!

15. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 14:50 SimplyMonk

NegaDeath wrote on May 14, 2012, 14:36:
I'd love a Chrono 3 but I'm not sure they have it in them anymore to make a worthy sequel. Maybe if they managed to reunite the old "Dream Team".

Even Chrono Cross didn't really do anything for me. It was a "good" game, but I got lost with all the characters (15+?). If it had a tighter storyline I would of said it could compare to the original CT.

They may have the technical skill to do a good Chrono 3 still, but I fear the story and art style that made the first so iconic for me may be lost.

14. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 14:46 SimplyMonk

sauron wrote on May 14, 2012, 14:25:
Pretty much the entire FFXI community left to go to FFXIV when it came out, took one look at it and went straight back to XI (me included).

Is the re-tuning they are doing with FFXIV making any headway with the community? I just got an e-mail about their welcome back campaign, but haven't had the time to give it a look yet. Plus I'm too excited about GW2 in order to commit to a monthly sub at the moment. Too many games, too little time.

I enjoyed a lot of Wakfu (their other MMO) when I played it a couple of weeks back, but felt it just lacked something to sustain my interest. My love of FFT was the only thing that even made me look at it. A little too grindy for me though.

13. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 14:36 NegaDeath

I'd love a Chrono 3 but I'm not sure they have it in them anymore to make a worthy sequel. Maybe if they managed to reunite the old "Dream Team".  

12. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 14:34 NKD

Good job Squeenix. Now.... MORE ADAM JENSEN. PRONTO. Also, we want a proper Chrono Trigger sequel. Preferably as a DS title so you can justify keeping the original art style.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 14:25 sauron

SimplyMonk wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:03:
Creston wrote on May 14, 2012, 11:58:
...still want the crap that is FF14.

FFIV is their current flagship in the MMO sector...

Good to see Square-Enix doing well though. I've been a fan since the FFVI days. Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy Tactics and FFVI are to this day games I can always replay and enjoy. Hence recent iPhone purchases. <_<

In fact, FFXIV isn't really their flagship MMO right now, it's reverted to their older game, FFXI. Pretty much the entire FFXI community left to go to FFXIV when it came out, took one look at it and went straight back to XI (me included).

Not sure how much more they can wring out of FFXI though - it'll be 10 years old in the next month or so.

Props to Square-Enix for making a good job of DX. Good thing they did because it looks like it saved the company!

Kittens!

10. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 13:09 J

nin wrote on May 14, 2012, 10:21:
our major titles, DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION

That's awesome - now let's talk sequel!

The sequel came out years back! It was pretty good actually.

9. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 12:03 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on May 14, 2012, 11:58:
...still want the crap that is FF14.

FFIV is their current flagship in the MMO sector and when you combine that with the fact that it is a "Final Fantasy" game, that makes it more a matter or pride for the company and something they refuse to let fail. Most MMO companies, when they have a crappy release, just let the title die a slow death. FFIV is the first time I've ever seen a company say "This is bullshit. Give us a year. We'll remake it and do better." which I believe extends from that sense of pride.

Well, except for Star Wars Galaxies. With that Sony and Lucas said "This game is all right, but I'm sure we can make it crappier and more like WoW. Give us a week."

Good to see Square-Enix doing well though. I've been a fan since the FFVI days. Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy Tactics and FFVI are to this day games I can always replay and enjoy. Hence recent iPhone purchases. <_<

8. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 11:58 Creston

Verno wrote on May 14, 2012, 10:27:
I thought you meant the first Final Fantasy for a second

I'd gladly buy remakes of FF2, FF3, FF7 and FF8 for full price, but sadly Square Enix seems to think people still want the crap that is FF14.

Waiting for Just Cause 3. I'll buy it day 1...might even pre-order.

Yes, yes and yes.
250+ hours into Just Cause 2, and I'm still having great fun. I fire it up for a few hours of sheer mayhem every now and then.

Creston

7. hey Square tardbuckets May 14, 2012, 11:56 Creston

How about you focus on games that actually did well, ie, Deus Ex Human Revolution, and not so much anymore on games that are pure horsehit, ie, FF14.

You might wind up actually making more money! *gasp*

Creston

6. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 10:35 Shok

Waiting for Just Cause 3. I'll buy it day 1...might even pre-order.  

5. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 10:33 Verno

Haha its ok, I was hoping you did. I have to admit, JRPGs are a guilty pleasure for me Embarassed  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

4. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 10:30 wtf_man

LOL.... NOooooooooo. I don't play the FF games

I definitely meant the first Deus Ex.

3. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 10:27 Verno

I thought you meant the first Final Fantasy for a second  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

2. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 10:25 wtf_man

I'd love to see an official remake of the first game. (Not done by some mod community that will never release it.... *cough* Black Mesa *cough*.)

And yes, I'd pay for it again.

1. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 10:21 nin

our major titles, DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION

That's awesome - now let's talk sequel!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo