Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. removed May 15, 2012, 03:29 chenhan

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 15, 2012, 04:44.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 20:54 Sepharo

At work we've integrated the Ribbon into all of our newer applications. The users demand it. They no-like-a the File menus.  

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 19:42 Julio

Dmitri_M wrote on May 14, 2012, 11:10:
The best feature of Win 8 is that upgrading to it isn't necessary.

Agreed. They should just rename Win8 to WinTablet.

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 19:24 Parallax Abstraction

jimnms wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:30:
Capella wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:12:
I love the ribbon interface in Explorer in 8. Hope there is a way to import that into 7.
The ribbon interface is something that should be killed, buried and never talked about again.

Speaking as someone who has to support users of Office, the ribbon was one of the most brilliant innovations in intuitive UI in years. I think it was one of the single greatest additions to Office in a decade and I'm not at all kidding when I say that. I welcome it in Explorer as well. Microsoft has beat the drum of how more users use more advanced features of Office since the ribbon's introduction and I can attest from my own personal experience with my users that it's totally true.

BUT it should be 100% optional and that it isn't was a dumb decision. I'm all for making things easier for less adept users but a stripped down option for power users should remain.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 18:55 jimnms

eunichron wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:55:
The only thing I liked from the Win8 consumer preview was the new task manager. I really, really, hope they import that to Win7.

I've only seen it in screen shots and preview videos. It does look better than the Win7 task manager, but it looks like they just incorporated and simplified some of the features of the Win7 Resource Monitor into the Task Manager. I still prefer Process Explorer though.

I highly doubt it will officially be ported to Win7, but I'm sure unofficially it will find its way.

MeanJim on Steam

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 17:43 m0deth

I think I am in the boat with everyone and agree that it should have been Ashton Kutcher that died instead of Steve Jobs.

No, No, While I'm done with watching Ashton in pretty much anything...Jobs died the horrid death he earned.

Take away the innovator part of his life, and you're left with a sorry sack of shit for a human, Kutcher hasn't come nearly close to that.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 14:50 Rattlehead

I think I am in the boat with everyone and agree that it should have been Ashton Kutcher that died instead of Steve Jobs.  

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 14:03 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on May 14, 2012, 11:14:
Yeah, I'm guessing, with it shipping this fall, that if they were going to do any direct x tomfoolery (like 10 be exclusive to pista) we'd of heard of it by now...
Are they going to try pushing: "Win8 now available in x128 flavors" Get it in the next-next generation, before the CPU's are invented!! To be honest though, even if they did hardly anything is using DX11 so you can probably safely write it off until "Windows 9 - the non-fuckup"

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 13:56 deqer

The only thing I liked from the Win8 consumer preview was the new task manager. I really, really, hope they import that to Win7.
ya, that ain't going to happen. MS will leave it for win8 only, as another excuse for you to buy win8.

The only thing I liked from the Win8 consumer preview was the new task manager. I really, really, hope someone duplicates/makes that for Win7.
Fixed.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 13:55 deqer

With windows xp being so awesome, and windows vista being so shitty, it's obvious that Windows 7's lifetime is still far far from over. People are just leaving windows xp, or windows vista NOW for Windows 7. Now MS trying to shove another windows down our throats just so they can keep their stream of revenue and profits steady? lol...

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 12:55 eunichron

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 12:51 Verno

Pigeon wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:46:
I don't understand why MS would think PC users would want their desktop to look like a smart phone UI. Smart phone UIs are designed to make up for the short comings their input options and screen size offer.

From what I've seen Metro looks cumbersome, cluttered and and completely unnecessary. I don't know what problem they were trying to solve when they decided to make metro, but whatever it was they've created a lot more problems.

That's really the problem. It's difficult to design a unified interface for desktop and mobile because the usage scenarios behind them are too often at odds. I don't see why they needed to do so, even Apple is struggling with how to integrate iOS and old OS X user bases. Interface consistency across devices is a laudable goal in theory but it doesn't seem practical.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 12:46 Pigeon

I don't understand why MS would think PC users would want their desktop to look like a smart phone UI. Smart phone UIs are designed to make up for the short comings their input options and screen size offer.

From what I've seen Metro looks cumbersome, cluttered and and completely unnecessary. I don't know what problem they were trying to solve when they decided to make metro, but whatever it was they've created a lot more problems.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 12:30 jimnms

Capella wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:12:
I love the ribbon interface in Explorer in 8. Hope there is a way to import that into 7.
The ribbon interface is something that should be killed, buried and never talked about again.

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 12:12 Capella

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 12:00 Beamer

While the stock has hung flat, Ballmer has actually worked hard to change Microsoft into an innovative company, something it hadn't been in ages. He's been fairly successful at that, even if the innovations haven't all paid off yet, or largely paid off, or paid off much at all.

This seems like the worst bet. Some of those features are cool (well, I only made it to, like, 10, but the task manager improvements are sweet), but still, a no-buy.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 11:53 nin

He's sweating already, Creston...

Oh wait, that's normal for him...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 11:50 Creston

Hear hear. That's the #1 best feature.

The #2 best feature is that it'll be extremely funny to see Steve Balmer explode when Windows 8 becomes a bigger flop than Vista and ME.

Creston

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 11:14 nin

Yeah, I'm guessing, with it shipping this fall, that if they were going to do any direct x tomfoolery (like 10 be exclusive to pista) we'd of heard of it by now...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 11:10 Dmitri_M

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo