Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit

An extensive article on AZCentral discusses the most recent court battle over Stargate Worlds following the presumed cancelation of the Stargate MMORPG. They outline a third investor lawsuit, filed in Maricopa County Superior Court in February, seeking approximately $4 million from former Cheyenne Mountain chairman and CEO Gary Whitingand other former Cheyenne Mountain executives, board members and stock promoters. Here's a bit that outlines the allegations of misconduct this involves:

Cheyenne Mountain's court-appointed receiver, Keith Bierman of Phoenix-based MCA Financial Group, said company documents show millions of dollars collected from investors were not spent on development of Stargate Worlds and may yet remain in the hands of Whiting and other former company executives.

Bierman, a bankruptcy consultant appointed by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to try to save the failed Stargate Worlds project, is in the process of liquidating the company's remaining assets. He is seeking the court's permission to investigate the whereabouts of the missing funds in hopes of returning that money to investors.

"There were a significant number of investments that did not appear to come to the company," he said.

Whiting could not be reached for comment on this story. Court documents show he is not currently represented by an attorney.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 14, 2012, 10:35 space captain

its gonna be like the Star Trek ip.. languish in obscurity for years, then get "rebooted" for a "new generation".. probably numerous times  
Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 14, 2012, 01:34 NKD

RollinThundr wrote on May 13, 2012, 23:55:
NKD wrote on May 13, 2012, 16:54:
Stargate has amazing potential as a gaming franchise, but it's been so completely mishandled, it's sad. Now that the TV shows and DVD movies are off the table as well, it seems this property will languish in oblivion.

MGM itself has been mishandled for years as well. They filed for bankruptcy in 2010 and most of its history of IP/Movies/tv shows are owned by different entities at this point. Turner, Time Warner etc etc.

Yeah, for a company that once said Stargate was second only to James Bond in terms of importance to them, they sure have failed to make good on it.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

16. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 23:55 RollinThundr

NKD wrote on May 13, 2012, 16:54:
Stargate has amazing potential as a gaming franchise, but it's been so completely mishandled, it's sad. Now that the TV shows and DVD movies are off the table as well, it seems this property will languish in oblivion.

MGM itself has been mishandled for years as well. They filed for bankruptcy in 2010 and most of its history of IP/Movies/tv shows are owned by different entities at this point. Turner, Time Warner etc etc.

15. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 23:39 Kawlisse

I was in the beta of stargate worlds, altough I absolutly love the Stargate SG1, Atlantis and even Universe, this game was going to hit a brick wall if it was ever going to be released by Cheyenne Mountain, the combat was dull as hell, kind of like the one in StarTrek online when it first released. It's sad it had to be cancelled, but maybe its for the better, if someone could pick up the rights to this game and make it better, then I will definetly buy it... Stargate MMO, would be freaking awesome.  

14. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 23:22 space captain

knowledge  
Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 22:43 LanikTnt

Where the hell did that come from?  

12. removed May 13, 2012, 21:37 space captain

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 14, 2012, 08:47.

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 20:57 Wolfen

AnointedSword wrote on May 13, 2012, 20:29:
Stargate MMO would have failed...About as exciting as my big toe...

Because you represent the wants and desires of every gamer out there right?

10. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 20:29 AnointedSword

Stargate MMO would have failed...About as exciting as my big toe...  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

9. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 17:49 Asmo

Lesaonar wrote on May 13, 2012, 16:33:

Good IP left in the hands of fools who had obviously never seen the series or even remotely had passion for sci-fi.

And that's the stupid thing, Stargate is an IP absolutely made for MMO style gaming.

Shared areas for the most part (call em contested worlds) and any new instances = group missions through the stargate.

8. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 16:54 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

7. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 16:33 Lesaonar

I knew this was going to fail after the "friends and family" alpha shut down not even a month into it. I don't tend to expect much from early alphas, but this was absolute shite. That was a few years back, if recollection serves correct. One of our guildies did a short stint on the development team. Think he stayed with them for about 6 months before he jumped ship.

Good IP left in the hands of fools who had obviously never seen the series or even remotely had passion for sci-fi.

[img]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/8qzpu4-4.png[/img]

6. some people really need it May 13, 2012, 15:08 space captain

some people got to have it  
Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 14:47 Agent.X7

That's what happens when you try to get a developer that has never published a goddamn thing to make a AAA MMO with millions of dollars. Whoops, lesson learned? Probably not.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

4. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 14:37 RailWizard

Jivaro wrote on May 13, 2012, 12:42:
I am just assuming that Hollywood has these same kind of issues between studios, investors etc...and that I just don't know anything about it because I don't follow Hollywood like I follow the video game industry. Correct?

The only issue Hollywood has with financial rape is when it is done to them. Otherwise it's all good.

3. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 14:18 Ozmodan

Investors living in fantasy land. Like there was money left over lol.  

2. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 12:53 eRe4s3r

text book investment scam  

1. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 12:42 Jivaro

I am just assuming that Hollywood has these same kind of issues between studios, investors etc...and that I just don't know anything about it because I don't follow Hollywood like I follow the video game industry. Correct?  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo