Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Binary Domain Demo

The Binary Domain Page on Steam has a playable demo for this squad-based shooter that was actually released a couple of weeks ago (thanks to Frans for rescuing this from falling through the cracks). Here's an overview of the game: "Set in 2080, the story starts when Dan Marshall and his squad are sent to bring the robotic community under control as they begin to infiltrate society and slowly take over undetected, leaving humans redundant in their wake. Thrilling encounters with highly intelligent robotic enemies require you to think tactically, make challenging, real-time moral decisions and build up trust with your team mates in order to guide your squad to safety and success."

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. removed May 15, 2012, 03:28 chenhan

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 15, 2012, 04:43.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 14, 2012, 23:27 Sepharo

Jerykk wrote on May 14, 2012, 23:05:
What third-person shooters have you experienced this issue with?

That's the problem, I can't think of specifics, but I swear it was more than one

31. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 14, 2012, 23:05 Jerykk

Sepharo wrote on May 14, 2012, 19:29:
reisub wrote on May 13, 2012, 11:03:
everyone wrote on May 13, 2012, 06:30:
Jerykk wrote on May 13, 2012, 05:39:
Third-person games have reticules. Your projectiles move towards the reticule from the center of the camera, just like a first-person game.
Yeah a few games work like that, but in most TPS I've played, the crosshair is more of a rough estimate of where your shots will end up than anything reliable.
I've mostly found the origin of the shot comes from the character rather than the screen, often resulting in you hitting a wall etc when you're aiming just past it.

I've definitely experienced this before in 3rd person shooters. Crosshair is free from obstruction yet when peering around a corner or just on the edge of an obstacle the bullets will hit the edge instead of the target of the crosshair. Not all third person shooters use the camera as the projectile origin. I seem to even recall some games where it's a hybrid, depending on the weapon, some projectiles come from the weapon model itself while others come from the camera.

That could be an issue with the collision extending beyond the mesh. Bethesda is notorious for that crap. I can't count the number of times I've lined up a perfect shot around a corner or through a crack, only to have the projectile hit the environment's collision because it was too big. I'm sure other games have done it too.

What third-person shooters have you experienced this issue with?

30. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 14, 2012, 19:29 Sepharo

Third-person games have reticules. Your projectiles move towards the reticule from the center of the camera, just like a first-person game.
Yeah a few games work like that, but in most TPS I've played, the crosshair is more of a rough estimate of where your shots will end up than anything reliable.
I've mostly found the origin of the shot comes from the character rather than the screen, often resulting in you hitting a wall etc when you're aiming just past it.

I've definitely experienced this before in 3rd person shooters. Crosshair is free from obstruction yet when peering around a corner or just on the edge of an obstacle the bullets will hit the edge instead of the target of the crosshair. Not all third person shooters use the camera as the projectile origin. I seem to even recall some games where it's a hybrid, depending on the weapon, some projectiles come from the weapon model itself while others come from the camera.

29. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 14, 2012, 04:42 reisub

Maybe I've been playing the wrong third-person shooters then. They nearly all seem to suffer from this (I say nearly all, I can't actually think of one that didn't but surely there must be? ^^). I'm not just going by the tracers, more the fact that the target is impossible to hit when the crosshair is over them.  

28. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 14, 2012, 00:16 Jerykk

Tracers are usually separate from the functional damage projectiles. Tracers are always fired from the gun attachment, while the damage projectiles are fired from the camera. This ensures that the shot will always hit the reticule if the player has line of sight. If you fired both projectiles (or had the tracer be part of the damage projectile) from the attachment, you risk having what you describe happen.

27. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 13, 2012, 21:05 MajorD

Dmitri_M wrote on May 12, 2012, 22:13:

Third person is like chase plane view in a flight sim. FPS view is immersive "you're there", third person view is "I'm pushing around a G.I. Joe" and it requires no imagination.

AMEN!

26. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 13, 2012, 18:19 reisub

UT did, unless you set the weapon to centred or hidden.  

25. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 13, 2012, 11:58 everyone

Yeah, pretty much. Even first-person games can suffer from it to a certain extent - UT2kx certainly did - but it's much more noticeable in TPSeses.  

24. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 13, 2012, 11:03 reisub

23. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 13, 2012, 06:30 everyone

22. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 13, 2012, 06:05 Charlie_Six

Many people on Gamefaqs claim this game is better than Gears of War 3  
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

21. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 13, 2012, 05:39 Jerykk

everyone wrote on May 13, 2012, 05:19:
Jerykk wrote on May 12, 2012, 22:41:
People have different priorities and as such, there is no objectively superior perspective for any given genre.
You've obviously never tried to shoot through a doorway or throw a grenade through a window in (wonky, over the shoulder) third person, then.

Third-person games have reticules. Your projectiles move towards the reticule from the center of the camera, just like a first-person game. While it's true that a third-person camera causes your character to partially obscure the screen, it doesn't obscure your reticule.

20. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 13, 2012, 05:19 everyone

Jerykk wrote on May 12, 2012, 22:41:
People have different priorities and as such, there is no objectively superior perspective for any given genre.
You've obviously never tried to shoot through a doorway or throw a grenade through a window in (wonky, over the shoulder) third person, then.

19. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 13, 2012, 04:46 Jackplug

I hate 3rd person, I dont get the point in seeing what new clothes is on my character, I want to feel i am there fighting.  

18. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 13, 2012, 04:39 Orogogus

And to bring up the Max Payne example again, if the point is to make a John Woo style cinematic game, it's kind of key to be able to see your guy doing sideways leaps firing his dual-wielded guns in slow motion.  

17. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 12, 2012, 22:41 Jerykk

The ideal perspective depends entirely on the genre and gameplay mechanics. For some genres, different perspectives offer different benefits. A first-person perspective is inherently more immersive than any other perspective, as it most closely resembles how you actually see the world. However, being able to see your character in third-person offers an aesthetic benefit if the game revolves around loot and gear. One could argue that both benefits are important to the RPG genre. Similarly, a cockpit view is the most immersive for a racing game, while the bumper cam gives you the best sense of speed and control and a third-person cam gives you the best sense of spacing.

People have different priorities and as such, there is no objectively superior perspective for any given genre. First-person is always the most immersive but not always the most efficient.

16. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 12, 2012, 22:13 eRe4s3r

Thats worthy to reply, but most 3rd person shooters have narrow FOV for some reason. And... maybe it's just me, but while I do not much care for "scant armor" on females in games, staring at the armored backside of a super sized macho-muscle-warrior for 30 hour game-time ain't my idea of a good time...

Though I do not hate 3rd person games... In fact, I would prefer them to 1st person for most genres (rpg's particularly) because combat with dodge in first person is incredibly stupid. It just feels wrong. If you ever played mount and blade on horse back you know what I mean, it's nearly impossible to judge distances (for swings) in first person.

15. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 12, 2012, 22:13 Dmitri_M

ledhead1969 wrote on May 12, 2012, 20:15:
Sir Graves wrote on May 12, 2012, 15:36:
RaZ0r! wrote on May 12, 2012, 13:01:
Lost me at 'third person shooter'. I hate those. A shooter should be first person in my opinion. Third person is for RPGs and console games, not shooters.

I feel the exact same way. I always stop reading when I see "third person shooter". Other genres are fine that way, but not a shooter.

I never really understood this. The controls, aiming, shooting are exactly the same as a FPS but you get to see your character and any any cool armor/weapons/effects ect. Do you not like part of your screen being blocked? Do you like the smaller FOV? Or, just miss the sort of immersion aspect of full FPS.

Third person is like chase plane view in a flight sim. FPS view is immersive "you're there", third person view is "I'm pushing around a G.I. Joe" and it requires no imagination.

14. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 12, 2012, 21:20 Rigs

ledhead1969 wrote on May 12, 2012, 20:15:
I never really understood this. The controls, aiming, shooting are exactly the same as a FPS but you get to see your character and any any cool armor/weapons/effects ect. Do you not like part of your screen being blocked? Do you like the smaller FOV? Or, just miss the sort of immersion aspect of full FPS.

Yes.

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo