Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Metaverse

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 15:10 Orogogus

I was just curious, since I usually check these things.

It isn't apparent here, as your second link precedes your first one, and gives the impression that the poster already knew it was from the think tank, he just thought it should have been flagged as advertising, not that it hadn't been attributed. The first link doesn't have the right tone, either; his problem is with the tank's backers, not a lack of attribution.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 12:23 Dades

One, two. The author claims he knew the source but none of that information was presented to readers. I know because I read the original article which did not contain the information which is why users piped up in the comments.

I'm not sure why we're spending all of this time on this, it was a readily apparent puff piece. If the author knew he should have attributed it and disclosed the sources properly, if didn't know then it's deliberate page count bait or he's simply a boob.

17. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 12:07 Orogogus

Which one? I still don't seem to see it. Near the bottom of the first page jfgilbert's posts seem to have already leapfrogged to noting the think tank's supporters and asking Ars not to post any more think tank articles without flagging them as advertisements.  

16. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 11:22 Dades

One of them is on the third page where the author claims he knew. I doubt he knew as the information was not present in the original article, he edited it after the fact. I know this because I read the original article and the information was not present. The article itself isn't terribly well written and just tries to point people in one direction while ignoring all of the empirical evidence under the guise of seeing both sides.  

15. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 10:49 Orogogus

Dades wrote on May 13, 2012, 09:55:
Orogogus wrote on May 13, 2012, 04:29:
I don't see any complaints in their comments, and it looks like they were aware early on.

The article wasn't changed until two users pointed it out in their comments and only after that did they say they were aware.

Did they delete those two comments? Like I said, I didn't see them. The first few comments that mention it seem to be pointing out the think tank's backing, rather than to say it's not attributed. Also, one of the Ars Technica guy's only responses is to say that they were clear about who wrote it.

14. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 09:55 Dades

Orogogus wrote on May 13, 2012, 04:29:
I don't see any complaints in their comments, and it looks like they were aware early on.

The article wasn't changed until two users pointed it out in their comments and only after that did they say they were aware.

13. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 07:35 Ray Marden

Data caps do not fix the issue they were publicly stated as being designed for and actually result in decreased service at a higher cost to the end user.

This shill may as well be arguing for outright monopolies; after all, they are "good" for the business' bottom line...
Just like admiting the charge is fake, but that is "OK."
Noting that my cell phone plan is incresing 15% for the same service,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

12. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 04:29 Orogogus

"Uncapped" is what we call the internet the US and the rest of the first world has had forever.

I get the impression, just from occasional comments here, that Canada and Australia/New Zealand get capped pretty damn badly.

11. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 12, 2012, 22:26 Warskull

They added that due to complaints from the readers and they still don't mention that the think tank is funded by the groups it is arguing for.  

10. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 12, 2012, 18:07 NKD

mag wrote on May 12, 2012, 18:03:
NKD wrote on May 12, 2012, 17:40:
zirik wrote on May 12, 2012, 12:54:
it would be nice if the guy disclosed at the beginning of the article that he works for a think thank that lobbies for the major telcos and hollywood companies who want justification for limiting data usage under a tiered system. why is ars letting organizations like that into their site? i guess when it comes to their ethos money trumps accuracy and integrity.

So disregarding opposing viewpoints would show more integrity? Guy may be a mouthpiece, but some of us like to know what our opponents viewpoints are rather than living in our own little world.

I think the large issue is that the article doesn't disclose for whom this guy works, and that they have a very particular axe to grind w.r.t. consumer rights/protections, and the exploitation thereof.

It says at the top and bottom of the article.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 12, 2012, 18:03 mag

NKD wrote on May 12, 2012, 17:40:
it would be nice if the guy disclosed at the beginning of the article that he works for a think thank that lobbies for the major telcos and hollywood companies who want justification for limiting data usage under a tiered system. why is ars letting organizations like that into their site? i guess when it comes to their ethos money trumps accuracy and integrity.

So disregarding opposing viewpoints would show more integrity? Guy may be a mouthpiece, but some of us like to know what our opponents viewpoints are rather than living in our own little world.

I think the large issue is that the article doesn't disclose for whom this guy works, and that they have a very particular axe to grind w.r.t. consumer rights/protections, and the exploitation thereof.

8. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 12, 2012, 18:02 Mashiki Amiketo

Caps exist to screw people over or lock them into 'VOD/IPTV' services given by their ISP. Nothing more, nothing less.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 12, 2012, 17:40 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

6. Re: hows life off the turnip truck? May 12, 2012, 17:39 Dmitri_M

It's taken a decade for the country I'm living into finally have affordable uncapped internet. "Uncapped" is what we call the internet the US and the rest of the first world has had forever.

And now the first world has decided it wants to intentionally cap itself? Oh brother.

Caps, are terrible.

5. hows life off the turnip truck? May 12, 2012, 16:21 space captain

i guess when it comes to their ethos money trumps accuracy and integrity.

shocking

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 12, 2012, 13:44 Acleacius

Industry hack alert!  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

3. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 12, 2012, 13:20 nin

Wow, who let the company mouthpiece write an article?

Seeing as how there's no "Thanks X" username, I'm assuming Blue found this on his own, and would love to hear his opinion on it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 12, 2012, 12:54 zirik

This comment was edited on May 12, 2012, 13:20.

1. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 12, 2012, 12:04 PropheT

So, the point of the article is that broadband caps are good for people who don't use their service because it allows companies to charge them less than people who make good use of what they pay for?

Except, it doesn't work that way, ever. They charge you the same regardless of how much you use and then limit the amount you can use it. They cut their costs without ever passing any of that down to consumers.

It's probably also worth noting, like he does in the article, that capping usage doesn't actually help the problem that they intended it for.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo