Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 08:09 DG

Rigs wrote on May 13, 2012, 02:28:
I've had a Samsung ML-2010 black laser
Yeah good printer except it jams. Best to have the paper tray no more than half full and it's fussy about the paper put in it.

I'm still using the toner that came with it - they actually give (or did back when I bought it) a full toner, whereas most places just give you a token amount.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 13, 2012, 10:18 Spektr

Now I buy from inkworld I go to the shop and they refill my cartridge with ink. Much more ecological. ( And much cheaper)  

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 13, 2012, 09:56 NKD

+1 for Brother laser printers.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 13, 2012, 09:34 Silicon Avatar

I went laser a few months ago. The ink on my inkjet kept drying up even when I wasn't using it and at $30-$50 a pop it was too expensive to bother with. When I need color I take it down to a print shop.  

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 13, 2012, 02:28 Rigs

I've had a Samsung ML-2010 black laser for about 6 years now and besides the annoying habit of grabbing more than one piece of paper from the pile (and thus jamming the whole thing up nice and tight), it's been a real good $120 investment. When I walked into Best Buy that day and saw it, I wasn't looking for a printer but I always had wanted a laser printer for it's speed and clarity, and seeing the low price, I got the last one from the shelf. The original toner cart that came with it lasted me four years! No lie, though, granted, I don't print much and certainly not every day, nor every week for that matter. I was still surprised though. In fact, the reason I changed it wasn't because it was going out, it was because I thought it might be the reason for the paper jams and grabbing of more than one piece at a time. I later attributed it to the printer being moved around all the time and possibly being bumped or slightly dropped, thus misaligning some important component. That's the only reason I can come up with, as I've changed the toner cart twice since and the problem remains. I would never go back to inkjet printers again. If anything, I'd save up for a color laser now. My mom has a huge all-in-one HP printer/scanner/fax monstrosity that my late sister had bought but never used. She loves it as it has extensive photo printing capabilities (a Photosmart 3310). I kinda tolerate it since it has wired/wireless administration and remote printing...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 13, 2012, 01:54 zirik

Prez wrote on May 12, 2012, 19:37:
The answer to whether or not you are getting ripped off on printer ink has nothing to do with how big the friggin' sponge is; I'd rather someone explain how it's often more cost effective to buy a whole new printer than to replace both ink cartridges in your current one. Are they really selling printers that much below cost?

if you ask anyone who works for kinkos or the UPS store they will tell you that manufacturers or their resellers practically give away the printer in exchange for an ink supply contract and/or print counter installed (to get a cut of the profit).

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 12, 2012, 19:37 Prez

The answer to whether or not you are getting ripped off on printer ink has nothing to do with how big the friggin' sponge is; I'd rather someone explain how it's often more cost effective to buy a whole new printer than to replace both ink cartridges in your current one. Are they really selling printers that much below cost?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 12, 2012, 18:15 jimnms

D4rkKnight wrote on May 12, 2012, 15:45:
Based on my experience before I went laser, they barely fill those ink cartridges. With my Canon, if I stopped using it for a few weeks after buying a fresh one, it wouldn't even work anymore.

Thank god for the Brother Laser printers, best $80 I ever spent.

They also dry out if you don't use them. You pretty much have to replace ink cartridges every 3-4 months whether you use them or not. I hardly ever print anything, but it it was too damn expensive having to buy a $30 ink cartridge that often only to print a few pages in that time.

I got a deal on a Samsung laser printer/scanner/copier several years ago for $90 after rebate. Then by luck CompUSA went out of business and I stopped by on the last day when everything not bolted down was 90% off and found three toner cartridges for it. The starter cartridge that came with the printer was supposed to be good for 2000 pages, but it ran out before ever going through one ream of paper. After that I was worried that toner cartridges were going to be designed to quit working after a certain time too, but I've now been on the same cartridge for 3 years.

Steam Profile

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 12, 2012, 16:24 zirik

D4rkKnight wrote on May 12, 2012, 15:45:
Based on my experience before I went laser, they barely fill those ink cartridges. With my Canon, if I stopped using it for a few weeks after buying a fresh one, it wouldn't even work anymore.

yeah brother laser printers are a great deal especially when they go on sale for $60 or less. im glad theyre still around. i remember learning how to type with their electric typewriters.

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 12, 2012, 15:45 D4rkKnight

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 12, 2012, 13:47 zirik

the ars article shows pictures that dont look like ink cartridges. they look more like the reservoir which holds ink dispensed by the ink head during cleaning. notice the tiny spec on top? thats where the head spits out ink and it pools at the bottom of the foam. if it carried ink full then the foam would have ink stain from top to bottom.  

1. OCZ Announces 64GB Vertex 4. May 12, 2012, 13:29 jdreyer

Sounds like the perfect drive for SRT on the new Z77 mboard I just ordered. Hope it is available soon...  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo