Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

There's nothing like a relaxing Saturday. Unfortunately for us, today will indeed be nothing like a relaxing Saturday, as we have a lot on our collective plates. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Relaxing Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Sift Heads Remasterized.
Oh My Candy.
Links: Greatest Business Ever- Drive-A-Tank.
6 Guns That Could Only Ever Exist In Video Games.
"Avengers" Destruction Costs A Pretty Penny.
Stories: TV Renewals & Cancellations - The Big List.
Turtle found 47 years later in same backyard.
Science: Chinese Physicists Teleport Photons Over 100 Kilometers. Thanks HARDOCP.
Brain sees metaphor and simile differently. Thanks Neatorama.
The Physics of Spilled Coffee.
Media: With Great Power - The Stan Lee Story (2010) FULL.
Sex With the Hulk.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2012, 10:37 xXBatmanXx

No update yet - so Happy Mothers Day.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2012, 07:06 Prez

From what I can tell the Nielsen ratings are THE single most significant metric studios use to determine show viability. The networks can track internet streaming and DVR usage, but hardly consider them at all when determining whether or not to pull the plug on a show. The reason being that internet streaming ads (like those on Hulu) bring in only a fraction of the revenue TV ad space does, and that when watching a DVR recording, the user will almost always skip past the commercials. That leaves Nielsen ratings, as hopelessly incomplete and outdated as they are, as the primary decider by a country mile. The real problem is the ad revenue model of network TV - it just isn't a viable revenue source in the age of the DVR and the internet. For whatever reason, however, the networks won't modernize their business model despite all of the evidence that what worked in the 50's just doesn't work nearly as well in the 21st century.

This comment was edited on May 13, 2012, 09:21.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2012, 00:46 Creston

Prez wrote on May 12, 2012, 19:47:
That's about where I'm at. Trouble is this becomes a catch 22 - no one watches the first season until they know there'll be a second season, but if no one watches they cancel after the first season.

That's the network's problem, not mine. I'm tired of getting invested in a show, only to watch it be cancelled because some other show has higher numbers. The networks all seem to think that the same 25 million people can watch every show all at once. (and they can, actually, by using a DVR, which according to the networks is the love child of Joseph Mengele and Satan.)

So fuck the networks. Maybe it'll force them to finally start investing in a show for 2 or 3 seasons before deciding to cancel it. Thus giving the show time to grow into its story, into its characters, etc.

If they keep cancelling shows after 5 episodes, hey... I got plenty on DVD to watch.

I think part of the problem is that, like NPD numbers, Nielsen ratings give a very incomplete picture of the market. Many people I know have cut the cable and watch stuff streamed over the internet. I could be wrong, but for some reason I get the sense that this is higher among sci-fi fans, skewing the ratings lower. I remember after both shows were cancelled, Fox released numbers showing that 'Dollhouse' and 'Terminator' were two of the highest streamed and DVR'd shows on TV. Of course that could have had as much to do with their crappy time slots as anything else.

I don't think the Nielsen ratings are the be all and end all anymore, are they? I know they're still in use, for whatever retarded fucking reason (25000 people is NOT an all-encompassing sample size for a country of 350+ million.) but I believe networks now also look at streams, etc.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that they can simply tell who watches what based on the feedback from the DVRs / cable box / satellite receiver, whatever. The only thing they can't scan is people who watch OtA.

Anyway, fuck the networks. I buy first seasons of shows on DVD after recommendations online. If I like it, I'll start watching it on tv. I'm never again watching a new show in its first season. I'm tired of the networks wasting my fucking time.

Creston

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 20:14 Sepharo

Prez wrote on May 12, 2012, 14:55:
Goddammit - they cancelled Alcatraz. Why do I bother watching any Sci-fi shows anymore?

It wasn't even that great, but it was decent, and it's not like we're flooded with choices these days.

Damn... Like you said it wasn't all that great but it was a new and interesting story with a good premise. Between new episodes of GoT I'm starved for story.

The three "main" characters were pretty bad but the prisoners and the warden were great. Was just starting to uncover some mysteries too... Guess we'll never know what the big conspiracy was.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 19:58 SimplyMonk

I think part of the problem is that, like NPD numbers, Nielsen ratings give a very incomplete picture of the market.

I can't speak for the TV show rating data from Nielsen, but having first hand dealt with a large amount of their marketing data... it is very incomplete. They do best with TV, but even that has large errors or inaccuracies at times. Although they do have "Internet" tracking, it is very, very bad and incomplete when it is there at all. Like NPD, they are loose estimations at best.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 19:47 Prez

Agent.X7 wrote on May 12, 2012, 19:06:
I try not to get into anything that hasn't already had two seasons anymore. I've gotten burned on a bunch of great shows that never had any sort of closure to ever invest any time into anything that won't be coming back. (Unless it was only written as a one off season.)

Firefly, John Doe, the list goes on. (At least Firefly got a movie, but still...)

That's about where I'm at. Trouble is this becomes a catch 22 - no one watches the first season until they know there'll be a second season, but if no one watches they cancel after the first season.

I think part of the problem is that, like NPD numbers, Nielsen ratings give a very incomplete picture of the market. Many people I know have cut the cable and watch stuff streamed over the internet. I could be wrong, but for some reason I get the sense that this is higher among sci-fi fans, skewing the ratings lower. I remember after both shows were cancelled, Fox released numbers showing that 'Dollhouse' and 'Terminator' were two of the highest streamed and DVR'd shows on TV. Of course that could have had as much to do with their crappy time slots as anything else.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 19:06 Agent.X7

I try not to get into anything that hasn't already had two seasons anymore. I've gotten burned on a bunch of great shows that never had any sort of closure to ever invest any time into anything that won't be coming back. (Unless it was only written as a one off season.)

Firefly, John Doe, the list goes on. (At least Firefly got a movie, but still...)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 18:46 Prez

Bucky wrote on May 12, 2012, 16:22:
Goddammit - they cancelled Alcatraz. Why do I bother watching any Sci-fi shows anymore?

It wasn't even that great, but it was decent, and it's not like we're flooded with choices these days.

I'm no Sci-Fi connoisseur (I'll watch pretty much anything), but Alcatraz didn't deserve a second season. The characters were dull, and the story was moving too slow to keep my interest--though I did slog through the full season.

The premise alone makde up for the shortcomings for me. The 63's were all very well-done and interesting, and Sam Neil is awesome in everything he does. Many of the other characters were wooden and one dimensional though, so admittedly the show was a bit of a slog to get through. I'll still miss it though.

- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 17:36 Cutter

Ratty wrote on May 12, 2012, 15:11:
nin wrote on May 12, 2012, 13:02:
Debating if I want to see Dark Shadows. I love Tim Burton, but this one doesn't look great.
Sorry, but it looks awesome.

No it doesn't. Sleepy Holler was good because it had that dark edge. This just looks goofy.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 16:22 Bucky

I'm no Sci-Fi connoisseur (I'll watch pretty much anything), but Alcatraz didn't deserve a second season. The characters were dull, and the story was moving too slow to keep my interest--though I did slog through the full season.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 15:11 Ratty

nin wrote on May 12, 2012, 13:02:
Debating if I want to see Dark Shadows. I love Tim Burton, but this one doesn't look great.
Sorry, but it looks awesome.

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 15:04 Ratty

I hear ya. I never watched Alcatraz but I got burned on enough others to learn my lesson. I'll never again waste time watching a serialized sci-fi show from the beginning. I'll wait until ratings are high or until the second season before I start watching, and then catch up through Netflix. (Or, used to be, On Demand before Comcast stopped letting you fast forward through commercials (and they wonder why people download their stuff from torrents)).

You'd think the networks would learn their lesson. People aren't going to start watching their serialized shows because now we just expect they'll be cancelled.

This comment was edited on May 12, 2012, 15:09.

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 14:55 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 13:24 nin

Oh and despite offering Sex With The Hulk for 2 days in a row, I'm still not clicking the link.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 13:02 nin

Other than an early mothers day dinner with the family, it's going to be lazy here too...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 12:56 zirik

its a perfect weather weekend and theres no barbecue for the blues household?  

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 12:19 Agent.X7

Relaxing Saturday. Don't think I've had one of those in...uh...years. First it was homework, now I am open and Saturday is one of my busiest days.

Even before that, I like to go hiking or whatever. That's mentally relaxing, but not so much physically.

Good luck on deciding about your move and such.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 10:55 Capella

Wow an early Saturday update. Hope nothing is wrong.  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo