Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

April Retail Game Sales Fall 42%

The L.A. Times Website has details from the April sales estimates published by the market researchers at the NPD Group, showing a significant downturn compared April 2011. This shows game sales at U.S. retailers taking in $292.1 million last month, a 42% drop from $503.2 million the previous year, while sales of hardware peripherals held steady. As always some of this decline is the shift from retail packaged goods to digital, as they note "sales of used games, digital game downloads and online game subscriptions contributed an additional $370 million." NPD analysts also chalk this up to there being less new product for consumers to consume this year. "Simply stated, there were notably fewer" new game releases, says NPD analyst Anita Frazier. "I think it's as simple as that, because when we see compelling content come into the market, the games are still selling as well as ever."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 18:38 Mashiki Amiketo

Prez wrote on May 11, 2012, 10:27:
Jesus, are they tabulated on an abacus too? Etched into a stone tablet for posterity?
An abacus is too advanced they use talky sticks and a salamis.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 18:07 PropheT

Ozmodan wrote on May 11, 2012, 11:56:
Doh, nothing of note in the way of games was released in April. Sometimes I wonder if the people that report this garbage have one iota of brainpower.

Did you even read the article...or the headline here? They point that out pretty clearly in there, and Blue also added it as part of the news post.

20. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 16:26 AnointedSword

I blame the big corporations (sarcasm)! If they would only give away all there games, they would sell more (bad logic)! Occupy this! Oo  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

19. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 14:53 HorrorScope

This # is a console thing to me. Good, lol.  

18. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 14:12 Dades

I thought they had started including digital sales awhile ago as a trial, why would they stop?  

17. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 14:02 NegaDeath

The official NPD numbers STILL don't include digital sales? Jesus, are they tabulated on an abacus too? Etched into a stone tablet for posterity?

Digital sales?

He's a witch! Get him!

16. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 13:52 ForgedReality

They're blaming piracy. Lulz. Stupid old men. Remove the DRM and stop wasting money on SHITTY games, and we'll start buying again.  

15. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 13:34 fawker

mag wrote on May 11, 2012, 10:48:
Heeere comes the crash! Farewell, $100 million games with $300 million marketing budgets.

Good, maybe I can get my hobby back the way it was before all the suits showed up.

14. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 13:17 ItBurn

InBlack wrote on May 11, 2012, 09:59:
According to NPD retail game sales have fallen a steady 1146% since 2005. In fact, according to the most accurate data we have at hand the gaming industry has failed to make a profit since 2007 and are in fact the main reason why the world economy is failing.

I wish I could quote you on that. :p

13. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 12:36 Parallax Abstraction

The official NPD numbers STILL don't include digital sales? Jesus, are they tabulated on an abacus too? Etched into a stone tablet for posterity?

NPD's numbers have been about as useful as anything stock analysts have to say for years now. They only talk about the US, they don't include digital numbers and they don't even include all retailers because some don't participate. They're data can be used to predict broad trends but it's largely useless. And yeah, sales are down this month because nothing bloody came out.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

12. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 12:26 spindoctor

Malachii wrote on May 11, 2012, 10:41:
How are pre-orders taken into account for big titles like D3? They aren't counted until release of the title as sales or? I read yesterday that D3 was the most preordered game EVAH on amazon so it made me curious when those numbers actually counted.

They'll be counted at the end of May. Between Diablo 3 on PC and Max Payne 3 on consoles, May will be huge on the chart.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

11. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 12:05 dardin

April 2011 saw the release of Portal 2. April 2012 saw the release of Kinect Starwars. Enough said.  

10. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 11:56 Ozmodan

Doh, nothing of note in the way of games was released in April. Sometimes I wonder if the people that report this garbage have one iota of brainpower.  

9. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 11:43 netnerd85

InBlack wrote on May 11, 2012, 09:59:
According to NPD retail game sales have fallen a steady 1146% since 2005. In fact, according to the most accurate data we have at hand the gaming industry has failed to make a profit since 2007 and are in fact the main reason why the world economy is failing.
lol, what?

8. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 11:32 Agent.X7

Well, April was certainly slow at my store, but since it was my first month being open I don't think I can make any comparisons.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

7. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 11:09 Tumbler

I'm thinking LA Noire messed up the april monthly sales last year and this year they're back to normal.

Wouldn't surprise me if retail was hurting this bad but I think this is too good to be true. We've got several big releases this month and I think they'll get enough sales to make up for a lower April month in the end.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 10:48 mag

Heeere comes the crash! Farewell, $100 million games with $300 million marketing budgets.  

5. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 10:41 Malachii

How are pre-orders taken into account for big titles like D3? They aren't counted until release of the title as sales or? I read yesterday that D3 was the most preordered game EVAH on amazon so it made me curious when those numbers actually counted.  

4. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 10:27 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 10:18 Wildone

Its bcus of piracy & used game sales destroying the world  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo