Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview

An interview on Games On Net talks with Pete Murray of Firaxis to learn more about XCOM: Enemy Unknown, their upcoming continuation of this strategy series. Topics include UFO interceptions, bases, territories, combat details, squad size, what contact the team has had with Julian Gollop and the original X-COM designers, what connections this will have with the XCOM shooter, and more. They also ask the usual burning question about DRM, but this is not answerable yet, as Pete says: "I don’t know. That’s something they work out on the publisher side, and we’ll try to get some more information on that as we go."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview May 12, 2012, 11:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

All this info, or at least the important stuff(6 person party, not a straight clone) was available months ago.

I'm still looking forward to this game, there are more than enough low budget X-Com clones or slight adaptations that some real change is tentatively welcome. Arguably this genre is already saturated with indie/low budget X-Com clones...

UFO Afterlight series
UFO Extraterrestrial(and upcoming sequel, different series)
Xenonauts if it ever gets released
UFO Alien Invasion(yet another series)

UFO Extraterrestrial 2 looks to be not only awesome, but definitely more of a straight clone/update to X-Com. I recommend those of you depressed by this Enemy Unknown version take a look at the Extraterrestrial series... the first one is like 2 bucks on most digital services.(Steam, Gamersgate etc.)

I would have liked larger teams, but I'm definitely going to give X-EU a try before condemning it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview May 12, 2012, 07:41 Trevellian

One of my childhood friends is an animator for X:EU. He grew up playing Xcom along with myself. So far he's impressed with the game (He's working on it, fair enough, but still). He's usually a very pessimistic and critical person. So I kind of have to trust his opinion when he says it's good. Since he hates 80% of most games that get released.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

10. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview May 11, 2012, 21:48 RollinThundr

Prez wrote on May 11, 2012, 21:28:
I'm not sensing disaster at all. But I am concerned about a few of the design decisions thus far. And, concerning your point about why people expected a "copy and paste", when you name your game XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which is essentially a hybrid of the British and American titles for the first game AND the exact title the original launched with on the PS1, you are basically locking yourself into remaining pretty faithful to the original in just about all aspects.

I'm not panicking, my guess for them limiting squad size is balance reasons and realistic development reasons, the game graphically is quite a few cuts above the original obviously, I'd imagine it would make every mission drop frames like crazy to allow you to have a dozen soldiers on screen at once, never mind make missions easier on the whole.

I'm going to take a wait and see approach, what I've seen of the game so far looks great and I'm pretty eager to try it out, considering I'm not a huge fan of turn based games, it tends to take a special one to peak my interest.

9. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview May 11, 2012, 21:28 Prez

I'm not sensing disaster at all. But I am concerned about a few of the design decisions thus far. And, concerning your point about why people expected a "copy and paste", when you name your game XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which is essentially a hybrid of the British and American titles for the first game AND the exact title the original launched with on the PS1, you are basically locking yourself into remaining pretty faithful to the original in just about all aspects.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview May 11, 2012, 18:10 Slashman

I'm not convinced that this will be the disaster you guys are predicting.

I read some of the other interviews and it seems these guys are actually trying to put some thought into the game. I'm not sure why people thought it would be a copy and paste of the original.

I haven't really seen anything that leads me to believe that they are doing a bad job with this.

7. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview May 11, 2012, 15:11 Mikus_Aurelius

InBlack wrote on May 11, 2012, 10:12:
Oh god, the last answer to the last question actually made me cringe.

Jesus, classes? unlocking abilities? Really? I can see it now, my lvl 7 Psychic Soldier casting Psychic Frost Nova on a bunch of gobl...erm greys.

Fucking hell. I was so psyched for this game. Not so much anymore.

I had the same initial reaction to the RPG elements in the latest Total War game (picking upgrades for generals/agents rather than just seeing what random bonuses they gain over time). However, I enjoyed the game more for it. Even though it sounded artificial on paper, it was more fun to play with. I'll reserve judgement on whether such a system works in XCOM until I try it for myself.

6. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview May 11, 2012, 13:49 Leper

I might piss on it if it's on fire and on sale for 4 of the US dollars.  

5. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview May 11, 2012, 12:49 Dmitri_M

The high expectations brigade has arrived.

Donkey_Punch wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:06:
You want a real Xcom experience:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts
They're going to hit a million on that. It looks very good, is in actual development and is clearly a non-compromised PC game.

4. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview May 11, 2012, 12:06 Donkey_Punch

You want a real Xcom experience:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts

3. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview May 11, 2012, 12:05 grudgebearer

Yeah...after reading that interview, my enthusiasm for this game went from a 6.5/10 to a 1/10

I might pick it up for $5 on a Steam sale now, but not before then.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

2. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview May 11, 2012, 10:59 Prez

I am more concerned by the maximum squad size being 6. In the original game, you were fielding 14 with a Skyranger, and 22 with the end game Avenger. That's a pretty significant divergence from the original's design.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interview May 11, 2012, 10:12 InBlack

Oh god, the last answer to the last question actually made me cringe.

Jesus, classes? unlocking abilities? Really? I can see it now, my lvl 7 Psychic Soldier casting Psychic Frost Nova on a bunch of gobl...erm greys.

Fucking hell. I was so psyched for this game. Not so much anymore.

I have a nifty blue line!

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo