Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Games On Net -- How Cloud Gaming Turned Piracy Into Espionage.
But cloud games aren’t fully held by you, the gamer. The gamer only gets enough code to display the game on their computer. Critical data is stored on the server and streamed during play.

This is more than DRM because the gamer gets substantial benefits from the online connection. Two of the biggest are easy access to multiplayer games and increased protection from hacks. Neither could be provided without the online requirement—online-only means a large multiplayer population, and protecting the server code makes it difficult to hack.

Converting a cloud game to a single player game through reverse engineering is taking what the publisher hasn’t given you, and changing it to something else—with completely different benefits. It’s not fighting DRM. It’s taking what’s not yours.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2012, 20:24 Ant

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:19:
What if I just stopped buying games? No, I don't mean switching to exclusively pirating them. I mean just stopped being a customer altogether.

I know that I would find a new hobby or devote more time to a preexisting one but I don't think it would do anything positive to change this behavior of "stick it to the customer at all costs".

Perhaps the only real solution is piracy,

That is what I did. I rarely game anymore due to lack of free time and motivations. I am catching up with BN since Tuesday!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Op Ed May 12, 2012, 20:02 Sepharo

Jerykk wrote on May 12, 2012, 16:29:
In FPS games with bots, you usually have the AI logic stored locally, which is why you can host offline matches and still have functional bots.

Well yes, if you run your own server (host your own game) you're obviously running the bot AI as well. I didn't realize that you were only saying that people have the AI code available to them... If you connect to a server that is running bots the AI calculations are happening on that server not on your machine.

37. Re: Op Ed May 12, 2012, 18:56 eRe4s3r

Ah I didn't know the beta already had a proof of concept emu. I thought Blizzard would have gone all out and just load assets, have 0 game logic locally.

This bodes well for the possibility of a feature complete Diablo 3 emulator

36. Re: Op Ed May 12, 2012, 16:29 Jerykk

Hmm, I guess the AI logic could be stored server-side. In FPS games with bots, you usually have the AI logic stored locally, which is why you can host offline matches and still have functional bots. But in that case, it's only the server (you) that's actually using the AI.

No that is really how it is. AI , Movement, Physics, Effects, Collision, Spawn, Loot, Randomization. Everything important is online.

I don't think the player scripting, physics, VFX, audio and collision are stored online. That would be horribly inefficient. The cracked D3 beta servers have all these things intact so they must be local.

35. Re: Op Ed May 12, 2012, 11:37 Sepharo

Jerykk wrote on May 12, 2012, 03:23:
The code for the bot AI is stored locally, not server-side.

Are you sure about that (for my example of bots in FPS games)? If you're playing on an online server with bots I don't think it would for some reason do the bot AI calculations on your machine... Doesn't really make sense when you consider that there are 10 other people playing on the server; it's not doing individual AI calculations on all of their machines is it? The bot makes decisions on the server and the server relays you position/action information to represent it on your own machine.

34. Re: Op Ed May 12, 2012, 10:30 eRe4s3r

No that is really how it is. AI , Movement, Physics, Effects, Collision, Spawn, Loot, Randomization. Everything important is online.

On your end is only the end result (ie, blizzard server says that game should do this, it does). The entire game logic literally runs on a server, you only see the output of that game instance on your screen, the rendered with the art/sound assets stored locally on your HDD.

Maybe now you understand why some detest this concept.

33. Re: Op Ed May 12, 2012, 09:49 Golwar

Scud wrote on May 11, 2012, 21:19:
You think the whining and complaints will stop once the game is out?

Nope. But the whiners will be an unimportant minority when the rest talks about the game. Much easier to ignore them then.

32. Re: Op Ed May 12, 2012, 03:23 Jerykk

The code for the bot AI is stored locally, not server-side.  

31. Re: Op Ed May 12, 2012, 02:38 Sepharo

Jerykk wrote on May 12, 2012, 01:36:
I can see spawn locations and randomization stuff being stored server-side but AI? That seems a bit odd. Character stats, spawn locations, inventory, etc, are all just values that can be stored in a text file or whatever format they desire. AI, on the other hand, is a lot more complex. I don't really see how they could have all the AI logic stored server-side. I'm guessing there's just some sort of check the servers do to toggle the AI on and off.

How would it be any different than FPS bots on a server? Besides being even simpler.

30. Re: Op Ed May 12, 2012, 01:36 Jerykk

I can see spawn locations and randomization stuff being stored server-side but AI? That seems a bit odd. Character stats, spawn locations, inventory, etc, are all just values that can be stored in a text file or whatever format they desire. AI, on the other hand, is a lot more complex. I don't really see how they could have all the AI logic stored server-side. I'm guessing there's just some sort of check the servers do to toggle the AI on and off.  

29. Re: Op Ed May 12, 2012, 00:57 eunichron

Jerykk wrote on May 11, 2012, 23:54:
This guy has no idea what he's talking about. Diablo 3 is going to get cracked and you'll be able to play it just fine in single-player, just like any other cracked game. While your character data will be stored online for legal copies of the game, crackers will just hack it so that that data is stored locally instead. Voila, problem solved.

The author seems to be under the misconception that the game's assets will be stored online and then somehow streamed to the player during gameplay. He also doesn't understand the difference between cloud gaming and server-side character storage.

The game's assets are stored locally, but things like creature AI, inventory, spawn locations, and dungeon randomization are stored server side. For the crackers to get a true SP game out of it they would need an emulated server (which already existed in the beta), but everything mentioned above would not work. I won't link any here, but you can easily find videos on YouTube showing off the beta server emulators... and yeah, you can play, but it's a severely gimped version of the game.

Though, modders and crackers are industrious types, I'm sure it won't take long for someone to code AI and replacement content.

28. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2012, 23:54 Jerykk

This guy has no idea what he's talking about. Diablo 3 is going to get cracked and you'll be able to play it just fine in single-player, just like any other cracked game. While your character data will be stored online for legal copies of the game, crackers will just hack it so that that data is stored locally instead. Voila, problem solved.

The author seems to be under the misconception that the game's assets will be stored online and then somehow streamed to the player during gameplay. He also doesn't understand the difference between cloud gaming and server-side character storage.

27. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2012, 21:19 Scud

Golwar wrote on May 11, 2012, 19:08:
There are 2 reasons why I can't wait for the release of Diablo 3.

1. To play a great game.
2. To get finally rid of the constant whining and complains.

You think the whining and complaints will stop once the game is out?

26. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2012, 19:12 eRe4s3r

yet you are reading them

Also, Blizzard sucks ;9 There, you didn't get away from it for 1 more post

25. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2012, 19:08 Golwar

There are 2 reasons why I can't wait for the release of Diablo 3.

1. To play a great game.
2. To get finally rid of the constant whining and complains.

24. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2012, 18:29 Creston

The guy's got to be a paid shill with such lame one-sided reasoning like that

Games on net is a troll site. They write troll pieces to drive traffic. There's no need to take it seriously.

Creston

23. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2012, 17:46 Zan Lynx

Lame, lame lame.

Equating reverse engineering to espionage? Not true at all.

Car analogy time. If the car maker uses a strange lock nut on the wheels, it is hardly espionage if I create my own socket so I can change the wheels myself.

Perhaps a bit closer, if I wire a logic analyzer and recorder to the computer access port on my car before taking it in to the mechanic, and use that data to reverse engineer the car's computer protocol...that still isn't espionage. The car belongs to me. I own it.

Now software companies claim you only license their software. But you own the hardware. It is yours. Observing what your own hardware is doing and recording data passing over the network cables that you own can hardly be espionage.

It's like claiming that recording your own telephone conversations is espionage.

22. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2012, 17:38 jdreyer

I am quite disappointed that D3 is online only. Am I going to pirate it? No, but I'm not going to buy it either. TL 2 will get my money.

The op/ed is pretty weak sauce. The guy's got to be a paid shill with such lame one-sided reasoning like that. Blizzard is doing it this way for one reason: control. Control how you play, control what you play, control when you play, etc. Honestly, I could care less about either multiplayer or achievements. So a cloud game has no purpose for me.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

21. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2012, 16:17 Alamar

Slashman wrote on May 11, 2012, 15:59:
WarpCrow wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:34:
It's funny that Blizzard have been able to take the same thing PC gamers crucified Ubisoft for, take it to even further extremes, and successfully sell it as a feature.

Well they haven't sold it to me. But every time I say so, someone jumps in to tell me that I'm going to buy it anyway.

I managed to live without Starcraft 2 and I'll manage to live without Diablo 3. Plenty of other good games to play, but most people have no self-control.

I'm a big fan of Blizzard... But my level of interest in the Starcraft franchise was, borrow the first from a friend and go half of it... Ignore everything about SC2, though I did find the whole splitting it into three games kind of crappy ; )

I will enjoy D3 though ; ) I hope it's not running like crap on launch day, but I'd be surprised if it isn't.

-Alamar

20. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2012, 15:59 Slashman

WarpCrow wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:34:
It's funny that Blizzard have been able to take the same thing PC gamers crucified Ubisoft for, take it to even further extremes, and successfully sell it as a feature.

Well they haven't sold it to me. But every time I say so, someone jumps in to tell me that I'm going to buy it anyway.

I managed to live without Starcraft 2 and I'll manage to live without Diablo 3. Plenty of other good games to play, but most people have no self-control.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo