Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Stress Test

The Guild Wars 2 Facebook Page has word on a stress test next week (thanks Ke). Here's word:

We’ll be conducting a stress test on Monday May 14 from 11 AM to 6:00 PM PDT (-7 GMT).

This special test event is open only to Pre-Purchase customers who have registered their accounts. With your help, we can conduct important tests and address some of the issues we identified during our first Beta Weekend Event. During this event, all you need to do is play normally with a new or existing character on your Beta account using the same game client. Please note that since this is a stress test of our servers, you may experience some in-game performance issues. If you’ve pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 and wish to participate in the stress test, we recommend that you register the account and download the game client.

Pre-Purchase customers, log in to the Beta Forums for more information and/or to download the Beta client if needed.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/stress/news/Getting-Started/169235

Having issues logging in? Contact Support: https://support.guildwars2.com/

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 13, 2012, 16:29 Ant

InBlack wrote on May 11, 2012, 03:10:
Turglar wrote on May 10, 2012, 22:05:
Still only prepurchases? Doesn't seem ideal for a stress test. What are they hiding? Personally I refuse to buy a game to beta it.

Yeah I hate this trend in gaming too, even if its perfectly honest it still feels like a fucking con.

One of the main reasons I quit Age of Conan is because I paid full price and a few months of subscription for what ammounted to a glorified beta test.

As for Guild Wars 2, I think it would be a better strategy to let 'everyone' in for a stress test. Its a great way to demo your game and its a great way to spread some goodwill around.
Ditto. I hope they do an open test or free trial!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 12, 2012, 01:31 Squirmer

As for Guild Wars 2, I think it would be a better strategy to let 'everyone' in for a stress test. Its a great way to demo your game and its a great way to spread some goodwill around.

They would succeed at crashing the servers, but that's about all. There's no need for more testers; they already had 'hundreds of thousands' playing during the beta weekend, from pre-purchases alone, and the servers filled up insanely quickly.

A victim of their own success perhaps, but I doubt they're upset about it.

29. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 19:58 Alamar

Kawlisse wrote on May 11, 2012, 16:39:
Am I the only one who thinks its pretty pointless that stress test ? I mean come one, people work on week days, and from 11am to 6pm ... what a joke. But hey, welfare people will be able to play ... cool !

Please... like welfare people can afford D3 and the online requirement... They're too busy driving their suburban's and talking on cell phones...

-Alamar

28. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 16:39 Kawlisse

Am I the only one who thinks its pretty pointless that stress test ? I mean come one, people work on week days, and from 11am to 6pm ... what a joke. But hey, welfare people will be able to play ... cool !  

27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 15:13 Titus

HorrorScope wrote on May 11, 2012, 14:57:
Many reported stupid crazy low percentage of use on GPU's and several had low CPU usage as well.

Low CPU usage if you look at the total CPU. If you got 4 (or 6) cores and one thread is maxing out one core and limiting the rest of the threads, you'll only see 25% (or 16%) plus a bit CPU usage. You can't split one thread over multiple cores. That's why certain lower end CPU's with good per core performance could run this better than high end AMD 6 core systems, where the per core performance is worse.

Concurrency is the bane of modern computing, ever since 'Moore's Law' could only be kept intact by putting more cores on a processor. Tim Sweeney held a great talk about innovating computer languages for game development years ago. Most processing languages nowadays favor the Object Orientation paradigm, where mutable state is all over the place, which makes locking issues hard to prevent. Too bad nothing much has changed.

This comment was edited on May 11, 2012, 15:30.

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 14:57 HorrorScope

Many reported stupid crazy low percentage of use on GPU's and several had low CPU usage as well. This is just very different then how GW1 was handled, not that it means a ton when finally released. Weird though don't you think, it uses the GW1 engine which ran great and use cpu/gpu like any other game, but this comes out to us in this type of shape? I found it very odd, the best thing I could come up with is they don't want it too good too fast and are keeping a lot for retail release. Far fetched I know.  

25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 13:46 Titus

It's an even better idea when you have limited servers (like beta) to reserve the available space for people that can generate the most interest for your game with others; i.e. the people that have enough faith in, and understanding of, your design decisions to already buy the game before it's released.

HorrorScope wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:51:
Amazing how this game does not take advantage of GPU's at this time. Not sure what the strategy here is.

Not taking advantage of GPU's is a bit of a misnomer, of course the GPU is being used. The current build seems to be CPU bound, meaning the CPU is maxed out sooner than the video card is. This is due to it being beta code, and is probably their top priority. Most affected PC's seem those with good video cards but CPU's with low per core performance.

It can be a pretty simple problem though, like Skyrim's first exe not being compiled with the right flags, resulting in a 40% performance increase with the 1.4 patch. Or like Mass Effect 2 loading taking ages unless you fiddled with the processor affinity.

I forgot which game it was, but one had huge CPU usage and subpar performance due to streaming resources from packed files slowing down all other threads. It was caused by the compression being done differently than the ingame decompress expected. The solution ? Repacking the games huge resource files. Also later officially patched (by redownloading all completely repacked data).

All these happened with released AAA games, which were often patched later. All of them had one very simple error that once found, was easily fixable. Although it could be something more nebulous as well, like complex locking problems, I'm sure it will be fixed by release. The original Guild Wars was very well optimized and had stellar performance on modest systems.

I'm sure the age-old retort "When have you ever seen an MMO that performed better at release than in beta ?" will follow soon. However, people will have to understand the meaning of the word beta. This game doesn't even have a set release date. This beta is done for REAL testing purposes, it's not one of those marketing betas most MMO's go through two weeks prior to release to drum up publicity.

This comment was edited on May 11, 2012, 14:51.

24. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 12:52 HorrorScope

loomy wrote on May 11, 2012, 04:36:
guild wars had open betas and you should assume this will too

Devs are on the record stating there will not be one with GW2.

23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 12:51 HorrorScope

Well I wouldn't have an open session until the performance is addressed. Amazing how this game does not take advantage of GPU's at this time. Not sure what the strategy here is.

22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 08:48 nin

Seem that they had enough ppl for initial beta testing.

Yeah, they certainly didn't seem to have any shortage of people during the last weekend.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 04:36 loomy

guild wars had open betas and you should assume this will too

aim your hatred of pay-for-beta at a title that deserves it

20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 03:50 Wash Washburne

I think it was announced on Facebook that once the original mark of a million beta testers was hit, you had to "buy" your way in. Seem that they had enough ppl for initial beta testing. I didn't get in so for me the only way was to per-purchase. Now, I have to say, the beta test was fun, it felt like playing a healthy evolution of WoW and Ever Quest not to mention very shiny, I'm really excited about the final product. It really gives a feel of adventures lurking at every step with a lot of voice overs. Dynamic event system is a very exciting concept as well and works much better than the original green icon floating above an NPC.

On the other hand I also wish that they handled access to beta a bit differently and gave access to bit more ppl without per-purchasing the fancy edition, which should be a totally different matter all together. Maybe once the initial stress testing is complete they will do a few open beta weekends.

Edit: Spelling

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 03:10 InBlack

Turglar wrote on May 10, 2012, 22:05:
Still only prepurchases? Doesn't seem ideal for a stress test. What are they hiding? Personally I refuse to buy a game to beta it.

Yeah I hate this trend in gaming too, even if its perfectly honest it still feels like a fucking con.

One of the main reasons I quit Age of Conan is because I paid full price and a few months of subscription for what ammounted to a glorified beta test.

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 01:29 Cutter

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 10, 2012, 23:44:
ah crap....I want to jump on this so bad considering the time I put in all 4 games of the original...but I have so much to do in the original games that I have a hard time getting the new one....and so much to play, and D3, TL2, etc etc etc....

Someone convince me to get it......

If you don't have time for the betas there's no rush. The upside of buying is that you already know its F2P from the start so it's not like you won't get your money's worth over the next several years. Besides I suspect they'll do at least one or two fully open betas before retail.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 00:20 OpticNerve

ah crap....I want to jump on this so bad considering the time I put in all 4 games of the original...but I have so much to do in the original games that I have a hard time getting the new one....and so much to play, and D3, TL2, etc etc etc....

Well, aside from lore, setting and certain background characters, the game is very much a different sort of game than Guild Wars 1. It's an actual MMO now and imo, one done right.

Everything from the combat system, to the way the game actively encourages co-operation without the need to be in a group, the removal of the DPS/tank/healer trinity, the way they effectively removed the dated quest system, to the insanely fun pvp and worldvsworldvsworld modes really made me excited about an MMO again. I think the only one that made me this hyped was Ultima Online. It's like they decided to make an MMO without the bullshit that plagues most MMOs out now. And all this without a monthly subscription fee.

This vid shows a bit about how the Dynamics Events system works in GW2 and how there are a lot of nuances that can be missed if you just rush it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes

And this one from the same guy shows the consequences to failing an event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwmtVFoZAKA

Since the previous beta weekend did away with the NDAs, there's a ton of gameplay videos on youtube and I would highly suggest browsing for them and seeing if GW2 looks fun for you.

I'm probably gushing over the game like a fanboy, but I had a crapload of fun in the previous beta weekend and can't wait for this stress test, as short as it'll be :[

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 00:02 Kitkoan

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 11, 2012, 00:01:
Kitkoan wrote on May 10, 2012, 23:48:

Oh? I still need to finish Factions and Eye of the North myself.

What do you have left to do?

Well, I had some people run me through some areas as my guy isn't a brute...but some of the missions in Factions I can't do. And I haven't even started Eye yet...waiting for a group to do it.

I've hero'ed my way through everything, being a elementalist.

If you want to join up with me on Guild Wars though, always will to try

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 00:01 xXBatmanXx

Kitkoan wrote on May 10, 2012, 23:48:

Well, I had some people run me through some areas as my guy isn't a brute...but some of the missions in Factions I can't do. And I haven't even started Eye yet...waiting for a group to do it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 10, 2012, 23:48 Kitkoan

13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 10, 2012, 23:47 Kitkoan

Fion wrote on May 10, 2012, 21:50:
On the plus side, characters haven't been wiped yet either.

I'm pretty sure those characters are your account ones and won't be deleted unless you do it. I think this because of the whole free gems which can be only used on characters.

Could be wrong

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 10, 2012, 23:44 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo