Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge

Steam News has details on a new patch that's now available for Risen 2: Dark Waters, the action/RPG from Piranha Bytes. This includes bug fixes, as well as player-requested defensive enhancements, as the patch notes mention: "Most monster attacks can be blocked now," and: "Player has the ability to dodge during combat." On a related note, GamesDot.org has word on a new mod that fixes a SpeedTree bug to fix "the trippy-annoying foliage grow-ins" in the game.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 11, 2012, 00:22 Jerykk

RollinThundr wrote on May 10, 2012, 22:59:
Jerykk wrote on May 10, 2012, 22:04:
Same thing with Obsidian, another company you tend to defend for all the wrong reasons.

I defend Obsidian because they have the best writers in the business and Fallout: New Vegas was the best RPG of the past decade.

New Vegas was great, not sure I'd say best ever and Chris Avellone is indeed a great writer, but again, Obsidian has this habit of shipping buggy as hell titles. People can still like a developer and still hold them accountable. There's no turn in your fancard of <insert dev here> for expecting them to fix bugs and try not to ship titles half finished.

A lot of that has to do with publishers. Publishers handle the bulk of QA and when you're working on a release candidate, they ultimately decide what bugs should be fixed and what bugs can be waived. From what I've read, Dungeon Siege 3 was relatively polished so it's not like Obsidian can't make polished games. With FNV, they were working with a shitty engine, complete with all the bugs inherent to it. I think I read that the release of the game was also pushed up by Bethesda, reducing the amount of time for polish.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 11, 2012, 00:20 space captain

RollinThundr wrote on May 10, 2012, 22:59:
New Vegas was great, not sure I'd say best ever and Chris Avellone is indeed a great writer, but again, Obsidian has this habit of shipping buggy as hell titles. People can still like a developer and still hold them accountable. There's no turn in your fancard of <insert dev here> for expecting them to fix bugs and try not to ship titles half finished.

space captain wrote on May 10, 2012, 23:57:
if you dont play PC games because you cant handle bugs, then you are a fucking pussy

go ahead and turn in your machine for an xbox

Go forth, and kill!

20. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 22:59 RollinThundr

Jerykk wrote on May 10, 2012, 22:04:
Same thing with Obsidian, another company you tend to defend for all the wrong reasons.

I defend Obsidian because they have the best writers in the business and Fallout: New Vegas was the best RPG of the past decade.

19. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 22:04 Jerykk

18. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 20:53 RollinThundr

Acleacius wrote on May 10, 2012, 16:38:
Slashman wrote on May 10, 2012, 16:10:
Hmmm...I may actually look into buying this now.
You probably should consider Risen, before Risen 2 if you haven't played it already. It's had several patches and mods over the last couple of years, so it's in really good shape.

If this is your first PB game, they can be a little difficult to get the hang of even in the starter areas. At least imo, it's well worth the learning curve, they have the best designed worlds and character development. The NPCs and quests all have more depth than most other RPG developers with the exception of Obsidian, Troika etc...

Just ignore RollinThundr, PB is and has always been essentially an Independent developer. These guys and gals work their asses off, basically working out of a converted house, 16 hours days and often sleeping on the job. I'm hoping they have a regular office now days, since they got away from the evil overlord who tried to steal their IP.

Sorry I feel developers who put out buggy game after buggy game with a terrible combat engine that they keep going to, should be held accountable. Sure it sucks that they're not a large team but really, at some point devs are the ones programming the game, not the publisher.

17. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 17:51 Cutter

I'll totally buy this game! Just as soon as hits $5 on Steam.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

16. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 17:22 saluk

Their games always have a pretty bad combat engine, but the actual game is usually very well balanced around the bad combat engine. I haven't been that excited at playing Risen 2, it sounds like one I will want to wait a few patches before playing, as was Gothic 3 (which is not a terrible game anymore). I think PB have the best handle on environment, exploration, and rpg progression of pretty much any other rpg team. Unfortunately the endings to all of their games are really awful.

I would still be sad if they stopped making games, as would their fanbase, niche as it is.

15. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 16:38 Acleacius

Slashman wrote on May 10, 2012, 16:10:
You probably should consider Risen, before Risen 2 if you haven't played it already. It's had several patches and mods over the last couple of years, so it's in really good shape.

If this is your first PB game, they can be a little difficult to get the hang of even in the starter areas. At least imo, it's well worth the learning curve, they have the best designed worlds and character development. The NPCs and quests all have more depth than most other RPG developers with the exception of Obsidian, Troika etc...

Just ignore RollinThundr, PB is and has always been essentially an Independent developer. These guys and gals work their asses off, basically working out of a converted house, 16 hours days and often sleeping on the job. I'm hoping they have a regular office now days, since they got away from the evil overlord who tried to steal their IP.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

14. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 16:10 Slashman

Acleacius wrote on May 10, 2012, 15:37:
RollinThundr wrote on May 10, 2012, 11:09:
Oh boo hoo poor PB. No one holds a gun to their head with contract signings, or prevents them from hiring more staff.
I'm glad your here to clarify PB's contracts and budgets. It's good to know your a legal expert on developer and publisher contracts.

13. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 16:10 Quboid

provisions = health packs? Maybe you're just not using them so much, since you get hurt less in combat.

I've avoided this since needlessly clunky combat tends to make this sort of game a boring grind; if your game has complete stun-lock, you're doing it wrong.

- Quboid

12. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 15:37 Acleacius

RollinThundr wrote on May 10, 2012, 11:09:
Oh boo hoo poor PB. No one holds a gun to their head with contract signings, or prevents them from hiring more staff.
I'm glad your here to clarify PB's contracts and budgets. It's good to know your a legal expert on developer and publisher contracts.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

11. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 14:48 Hanover

So I took the new block ability out for a spin and combat is quite a bit easier. You can still get overwhelmed by multiple enemies if you aren't careful, but the new dodge lets you move quickly enough to compensate a little. It's pretty fun with multiple enemies now.

So far, I've been able to block everything except Sand Devils, they are still unblockable. I think Jaguars are still unblockable, but I didn't test well enough to be sure. UPDATE: their pounce can't be blocked but everything else can be.

I've been able to block:
Alligators
Ghouls
Giant Crabs
Grave Spiders
Jaguars (block all except the pounce)

On another note, it seems like I am finding more provisions than before as well but that may be a coincidence.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2012, 15:00.

10. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 14:28 Quboid

Vex wrote on May 10, 2012, 14:07:
Wow. A patch that adds a completely new defensive maneuver and enhances another. You would think decisions like that would be fleshed out in pre production considering their effect on combat mechanics. Smells like a turd to me.

It would have been nice if it had been done long before now rather than spending resources on DLC but better late than never.

- Quboid

9. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 14:07 Vex

Wow. A patch that adds a completely new defensive maneuver and enhances another. You would think decisions like that would be fleshed out in pre production considering their effect on combat mechanics. Smells like a turd to me.  

8. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 13:42 Techie714

Creston wrote on May 10, 2012, 10:53:
"Player has the ability to dodge during combat."

It's like they listened to you, Jerykk! We need to find some way to abuse this unholy influence of yours... Ask for a flintlock gun that shoots mini-nukes!!

Creston

LOL!!!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

7. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 12:34 Jerykk

Creston wrote on May 10, 2012, 10:53:
"Player has the ability to dodge during combat."

It's like they listened to you, Jerykk! We need to find some way to abuse this unholy influence of yours... Ask for a flintlock gun that shoots mini-nukes!!

Creston

I know, I was just as surprised. While the addition of dodging is great, I'm a bit concerned about being able to block monster attacks. It seems like it would make the game too easy. That said, I haven't actually tried combat with the new patch so I guess I'll find out.

6. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 11:52 eRe4s3r

not too many issues?

Grave Spiders

5. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 11:13 Hanover

I'm about 30 hours in and really enjoying the game. The added dodge is nice but I wasn't having too many issues after resetting the difficulty back to medium. Maybe I can bump it up again now.

I am a big fan of every PB game I've played (didn't try Gothic 3 though due to the horrible comments about it) and Risen 2 is as good as all the others. I dig trying to work my way deep into areas I shouldn't be in yet and hoping to come up with some nice loot and this game doesn't disappoint.

I've been meaning to say something about this game since I read Ray's comment on the big Risen 2 thread a few days ago, saying something along the lines of, Pyranha Bytes is a disgrace and should be shut down as a studio. I completely disagree. I love RPGs and seem to get into PB games more than anyone's (Morrowind not withstanding). I can understand some players not liking the controls of Gothic 1, or the combat deficiencies of Risen 2 but on the whole, the PB games always seem to scratch that exploration itch I have.

4. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 11:09 RollinThundr

Acleacius wrote on May 10, 2012, 10:57:
Really looking forward to playing Risen 2 and waited for the patch before playing. I knew they had one in the works and wanted to get the best experience. Despite the small team size they do amazing works, with the environments, objects and loot being hand placed to make each area unique.

Sadly they have never taken advantage of all the community support and volunteers who would help test their games. It's just impossible for such a small team to do all this labor intensive work, with such limited schedules they get.

3. Re: Risen 2 Patch Adds Dodge May 10, 2012, 10:57 Acleacius

Really looking forward to playing Risen 2 and waited for the patch before playing. I knew they had one in the works and wanted to get the best experience. Despite the small team size they do amazing works, with the environments, objects and loot being hand placed to make each area unique.

Sadly they have never taken advantage of all the community support and volunteers who would help test their games. It's just impossible for such a small team to do all this labor intensive work, with such limited schedules they get.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo