Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Morning Consolidation May 11, 2012, 14:56 Verno

Nothing formal about the atmosphere, you casually said they sucked and listed no specific models either so that's all people had to go on. Everything else came after. I don't really see the problem, I would expect people to comment on how I concluded that too if it was me. Anyway it's really not a big deal, if you did research then that's more than 99.9% of consumers so more power to you, I just don't agree that they weren't competitive quality televisions. To me Sony's biggest problem was price point.

Now if you dissed Panasonic plasmas then we've got a problem!

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Morning Consolidation May 11, 2012, 14:36 Jivaro

I said Sony's TVs sucked this past year. Perhaps I should have said "I looked at every Sony TV I could find within a 50 square mile radius of my home and all them did not come close to meeting my expectations regarding performance when compared to their price." My mistake for talking casually in a clearly very formal atmosphere. Of course, then someone would probably find something to jump on there too. "50 miles?! If you were serious you would have expanded that to 100!!"

If someone, ANYONE, had come on here and said "I bought this *enter specific Sony model TV made this past year here*, and I think its awesome. Did you see it or did you miss it?" That would be quite different. Instead we jumped right to my delusions of Sony always sucking forever, there must be something wrong or amateur about my testing process, etc. Fact is, I could only find one model of Sony that received consistently high praise on "the net" within the 32-46" size range, it was based on the previous year's design and I was unsuccessful at finding it in an actual store where I could see it for myself. Buying a TV blindly didn't seem prudent, particularly when I wasn't at all impressed by the other TVs made by the same manufacturer.

I have been wrong so many times in my life, I have made a fine art of admitting to it. As a self-admitted Sony fan I would love to have someone pitch me a model from last year they thought rocked da house so I could check it out for myself, and then compare it to its competitors. That isn't what anyone has done. In fact, that really surprises me. I would have thought that would have been the first response.

37. Re: Morning Consolidation May 11, 2012, 14:07 Verno

Jivaro wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:05:
Actually, the whole bit about me thinking every Sony ever made sucks is right up there too. I mean...I am sort of new to the comments here relatively speaking..but do you have people post here that admit they only did research on things over the past year yet make a decade's worth of assumptions based on it? Is there some sort of precedent set that I am not aware of?

Well to be fair, they probably assumed because you started off with "their TVs sucked". Sure there were some bad Sony models but every manufacturer has some. I don't think anyone is really intending to lord themselves over you or something. People were just saying yes they did make some good televisions despite what you may think, that's all. If my comment was dismissive of your shopping process then I apologize.

If you still don't believe everyone based on your personal experiences then ok fair enough. As I'm sure you've seen already people disagree here all the time, its nothing personal

It's the Blue's News Debate Club motto! You may have a point, but I'm going to totally dismiss it and claim you're wrong! And I'll continue my chant for the next 200 posts in the thread.

But when you disagree with people and talk about something you're interested it's fine of course. Grow up Dunce

This comment was edited on May 11, 2012, 14:21.

36. Re: Morning Consolidation May 11, 2012, 12:11 nin

To paraphrase the general feeling I am getting here is "You might be right this time, maybe...but probably not. An if you are, just don't think you are right for the right reasons."

It's the Blue's News Debate Club motto! You may have a point, but I'm going to totally dismiss it and claim you're wrong! And I'll continue my chant for the next 200 posts in the thread.

Awesome!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

35. Re: Morning Consolidation May 11, 2012, 12:05 Jivaro

Verno wrote on May 11, 2012, 10:20:
You bought a TV based on what popped the most at the store, that's what they set them up for. No one is saying you did anything wrong by doing so, many people buy TVs that way and it doesn't make others better than them or whatever. Claiming Sony TVs aren't good based on quick observations at the store though is just silly dude and that's what people are disputing.

Anyway its a moot point, the margins in the TV market have gone to shit and Sony appears to be making an exit from it.

To paraphrase the general feeling I am getting here is "You might be right this time, maybe...but probably not. An if you are, just don't think you are right for the right reasons."

It isn't me being silly. I realize that some of you know a lot more about video then I do, maybe because you are an enthusiast or maybe because of your job. My reality is that when I buy something like alarge screen LCD/LED TV I am extremely hard pressed to part with the money. I detailed my shopping process. The idea that I made a quick decision based on what I already wrote is silly. Months. Research. Multiple shopping trips. Best part? Apparently Sony doesn't even think they are competitive. Actually, the whole bit about me thinking every Sony ever made sucks is right up there too. I mean...I am sort of new to the comments here relatively speaking..but do you have people post here that admit they only did research on things over the past year yet make a decade's worth of assumptions based on it? Is there some sort of precedent set that I am not aware of?

34. Re: Morning Consolidation May 11, 2012, 10:20 Verno

Why would I do that? That wouldn't represent my viewing area at home any better then the ridiculous lighting in a large retailer like Best Buy. I did exactly what I said. If it needs more description because people want the gory details, I grabbed a remote and flipped through the various settings, most of which are presets, and got a good general idea for the visual performance of the various TVs. Like most people I, sadly, don't have a true home cinema... so setting the TV up at the store like it will be in one would not do me much good. I have argued with my wife for years about the lack of a home cinema, but she unfortunately does not see the same amount of value in it that I do.

You bought a TV based on what popped the most at the store, that's what they set them up for. No one is saying you did anything wrong by doing so, many people buy TVs that way and it doesn't make others better than them or whatever. Claiming Sony TVs aren't good based on quick observations at the store though is just silly dude and that's what people are disputing.

Anyway its a moot point, the margins in the TV market have gone to shit and Sony appears to be making an exit from it.

33. Re: Morning Consolidation May 11, 2012, 05:46 Fantaz

They just need an Uncharted 4 to bring profits again  

32. Re: Morning Consolidation May 11, 2012, 00:03 PHJF

I wish I bought a 360 every single day since...

What would you do with all those 360s?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

31. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2012, 23:46 Mordecai Walfish

Rigs wrote on May 10, 2012, 23:10:
s that got a PS3 thinking it would end up being as playable as it's PS2 predecessor. I wish I bought a 360 every single day since... :(

Hey on the bright side you have a mighty fine controller for your PC. Just hook up the motioninjoy drivers and you're set =)

30. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2012, 23:44 mag

I'm not a Sony fanboy by any means (the only Sony product I can recall owning is my PS3--which I do like), but man. If you're saying that Sony TVs suck now, there must have been a huge decline in recent years.

I have a Panasonic plasma, and one of my friends has a Sony pre-LED LCD, and while the picture of each is very different, and I prefer mine, the Sony is damn pretty looking.

29. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2012, 23:10 Rigs

Quboid wrote on May 10, 2012, 22:13:
Did space_captain just admit that his argument is incredibly deluded and that no conversation is possible?
Dude, shhhh! You're ruining the post-orgasmic bliss! Smoking

Anyway, I have to say that they don't build 'em like they use to, even Sony. My sister got a 13" Sony tv in 1982. I was four at the time and vividly remember playing this awesome thing on it that consisted of white blocky lines going up and down the screen on either side of a white line with another block going back and forth in-between...which was our first video console, an Atari5200 w/2600 adapter, which sits, btw, next to me on the shelf, along with the 13" Sony tv - both still work perfectly, along with the dented and scratched metal remote control! And I hate to say it actually outlived her. She passed in 2006 at 42, this 30 year old tv still works as good as the day she got it...

Also, I was one of those 'leet' sumbitches that got a PS3 thinking it would end up being as playable as it's PS2 predecessor. I wish I bought a 360 every single day since...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

28. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2012, 22:13 Quboid

space captain wrote on May 10, 2012, 16:38:
Jivaro wrote on May 10, 2012, 16:20:
If you own a Sony TV and you are happy with what you got for the price, grats. All I am saying is that what I saw on the shelves over the last year was not impressive at all and overpriced. I expect Sony to bring more to the table.

dude if you expect your personal tv shopping experience to define the reality of every model sony tv in all places and times, then you are so incredibly deluded that no conversation is even possible in the first place

your argument is no more valid than mine

Did space_captain just admit that his argument is incredibly deluded and that no conversation is possible?

- Quboid

27. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2012, 20:11 Prez

I have never owned a Sony TV, but not because of their quality or lack thereof. The price tag is what stops me. Boy howdy, are they proud of those things!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2012, 19:54 Flatline

If you own a Sony TV and you are happy with what you got for the price, grats. All I am saying is that what I saw on the shelves over the last year was not impressive at all and overpriced. I expect Sony to bring more to the table.

dude if you expect your personal tv shopping experience to define the reality of every model sony tv in all places and times, then you are so incredibly deluded that no conversation is even possible in the first place

Considering Sony is more or less getting out of the TV business, his argument holds a little more water than yours by being reflected in reality.

25. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2012, 19:11 Lorcin

So samsung have taken out sony in the TV market and are THE major contender in the crapple/iSheep department.

We going to see a Samsung console soon?

24. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2012, 18:33 Jivaro

Dades wrote on May 10, 2012, 18:17:
Right, because I would never think to play with the settings, adjust for my personal preferences, check the menus etc as part of demo'ing a TV.

I find it difficult to believe you sat down in a chair 9 feet away, adjusted greyscale settings, convinced the store to turn off the lights and then proceeded to do a spyder calibration.

Why would I do that? That wouldn't represent my viewing area at home any better then the ridiculous lighting in a large retailer like Best Buy. I did exactly what I said. If it needs more description because people want the gory details, I grabbed a remote and flipped through the various settings, most of which are presets, and got a good general idea for the visual performance of the various TVs. Like most people I, sadly, don't have a true home cinema... so setting the TV up at the store like it will be in one would not do me much good. I have argued with my wife for years about the lack of a home cinema, but she unfortunately does not see the same amount of value in it that I do.

I realize that there are people, including people here, who are much more attune to the world of video then I am. I also realize that the very idea that I would dare comment on the quality of a TV brand without a formal resume declaring my various qualifications and a precise description of all of the multi-thousand dollar equipment me and my e-peen have purchased over the years is just techno-blasphemy. I humbly beg for your forgiveness. I am not worthy. I am more from that low-life scum that just buys the TV that looks the best to my own eyes while leaving me with enough money to do other things like eat bacon.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2012, 18:30 Prez

InBlack wrote on May 10, 2012, 10:26:
What the fuck? Is it just me or are these numbers that these big corporations throw around waaay out of proportion.

How the fuck can anyone lose 2.8 Billion dollars and not go bankrupt RIGHT IN THAT FUCKING SECOND???

Price cuts? Really? Price cuts are to blame? So why did they fucking CUT THE PRICE then?

Both of your points came immediately to my mind as well. Price cuts are absolutley not a reason a company loses billions of dollars (unless they were done in a completely altruistic, voluntary and non-reactionary way, which to my memory has happened exactly ZERO times in the history of corporate America). The price cuts a company is forced to make are a symptom of other serious business problems and pressures. That's like saying a person with lung cancer died of coughing.

And I doubt I will ever understand intra-business economies well enough to explain how a company of any size can afford to absorb a nearly 3 billion dollar loss. Unlike the Federal Government, they can't simply print money and write bad checks repeatedly.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2012, 18:17 Dades

Right, because I would never think to play with the settings, adjust for my personal preferences, check the menus etc as part of demo'ing a TV.

I find it difficult to believe you sat down in a chair 9 feet away, adjusted greyscale settings, convinced the store to turn off the lights and then proceeded to do a spyder calibration.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2012, 18:12 Jivaro

I expect no such thing, just the models I looked at over the last year..as I said...in two separate buying experiences within said year. I even specified the size ranges.

If I said "I believe all Sony TVs ever made suck, and you all must believe so too"...then you might be on to some thing regarding my delusions. Right now, my delusions are limited to winning the lottery and the eternal hope that the Phoenix Suns will ever field a championship basketball team.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2012, 18:38.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2012, 16:38 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo