Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 13:12 DukeFNukem

Unskippable huh? LOL. Good news for Slysoft. Job Security for the next several years. I have full confidence they will take care of this annoyance in a future version of their software. If not them, then certainly somebody else.

This does not personally give me justification to pirate. It simply gives me justification to purchase a license from Slysoft. If I don't want to watch a preview of something, I sure as hell ain't gonna watch it. Even when YouTube attempts to shove advertisements down my throat, I simply mute the volume and minimize the window while I browse other topics, or simply close my eyes, take a deep breath and meditate for a few moments.
Still, I prefer the option to rip the main content on a DVD or Blu-Ray and burn it to a new platter, unprotected, untainted.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2012, 13:17.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 13:03 Quboid

Verno wrote on May 10, 2012, 11:55:
Meanwhile downloaded movies carry no warnings at all and can be played on any device without fear of DRM interference. It's difficult to imagine why people are turning away from physical media!

It's astonishing just how clueless these people are. I can actually understand their fear of the internet and such like, when you're on top then change is probably going to be bad for you - but to stick with pre-VHS mentality is just speeding things up.

DRM, unskippable crap, any restrictions that come from anyone other than the techs saying it's not possible - these are all encouraging piracy.

- Quboid

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 12:44 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on May 10, 2012, 12:20:
The pirating screen has already been there for like ever. The rating screen. Big whoop. This wouldn't ever be a reason why I would pirate a movie. Some DVD's as we know have 15 minutes of advertising and some don't allow a skip. Those are way more intrusive.

I get the rabid desire of "if they do this, we will do that", but at best it's adding a longer rating screen.

In addition to all of the other crap they display before the main menu, it's too much. It was already too much even. Some Blu-rays are obnoxious about that crap and some of them in the past have even featured unskippable advertisements.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 12:20 HorrorScope

The pirating screen has already been there for like ever. The rating screen. Big whoop. This wouldn't ever be a reason why I would pirate a movie. Some DVD's as we know have 15 minutes of advertising and some don't allow a skip. Those are way more intrusive.

I get the rabid desire of "if they do this, we will do that", but at best it's adding a longer rating screen.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 12:18 PHJF

You know, forced commercials was the reason I only used Red Box for about a week.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 12:11 jimnms

http://cdn.thenextweb.com/files/2010/02/piratedvd.jpg  

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 12:11 Agent.X7

When the fuck did ICE become about copyright?  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 12:07 CommunistHamster

What a ridiculous piece of legislation.  

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 11:55 Verno

Meanwhile downloaded movies carry no warnings at all and can be played on any device without fear of DRM interference. It's difficult to imagine why people are turning away from physical media!  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 11:06 Creston

Dara O'Briain: "The best thing about buying illegal DVDs is not having to sit through warnings not to buy illegal DVDs!"

Creston

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 10:56 nin

I'd be surprised if slysoft doesn't offer an option to rip those right out soon...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 10:51 Beamer

dumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdum

Did those VHS warnings in the 80s work?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 10:47 deqer

This will only increase the pirating of movies. Then what? Mark Of The Beast?  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 10:35 Panickd

So after the unskippable trailers (for movies I either already own or care nothing about) and unskippable studio logos (because the one at the beginning of the actual movie isn't enough?) and the unskippable FBI warning they decide to add another unskippable 10 seconds before I get to watch the movie I paid them for? Gee, I wonder why DVD and Blu-ray sales are dropping off a cliff. Way to understand your consumers movie industry.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 10:28 InBlack

I always liked id's copyright infringement message best:

"If you are playing an illegal version of Doom2 you are going to HELL!"

I have a nifty blue line!

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo