Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 11, 2012, 08:44 Verno

MacLeod wrote on May 10, 2012, 15:29:
Not sure what all these unskippable advertisements/trailers everyone keeps talking about are. In all the movies I own, I don't think I've ever run across a set of trailers that I couldn't skip in one way or another. While specific buttons may give you a "this option is not available" type error, usually one of the following will work:
* next chapter
* Top Menu
* Pop Up Menu

I've never had one of those three not be able to skip the trailer.
(Mind you, I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I haven't encountered it and my movie collection stands at about 500+ titles)

My Blu-ray collection is pretty modest, only about 100 titles but just ballparking I'd say a quarter of them or more have some unskippable things. 20th Century Fox is particularly bad for that stuff, I've seen it in several of theirs. Some specific players may let you circumvent them perhaps but I don't own such a player. The studios love their little forced adverts.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 23:41 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on May 10, 2012, 21:32:
I feel like I should answer to that properly, because nobody did so far

The point isn't that these necessarily have a debilitating effect for everybody, just that there IS a cost. It's not free. Consider that Netflix accounts for more bandwidth than any of the pirating going on. There are good reasons for that. In many ways it's superior to pirating, in other ways it's inferior. It's just incorrect to call torrenting "free".

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

33. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 21:32 eRe4s3r

I feel like I should answer to that properly, because nobody did so far

We obviously have a computer.. see.. this is the Internet, we write to each other in a forum where you definitely need a proper PC for to enjoy its main theme (PC-Games..). Unless you like typing on an iPad / iPhone and just browse here for general gaming news (Although I still find this site pretty PC-centric, thankfully)

2, electricity. Well, firstly.. when I am using my PC (usual wake-time) it's on and uses power no matter what I do with it. So I assume you mean the cost of electricity for downloading over night when the PC is off. You can get for about 200 to 400 $ a NAS (storage device for multiple HDD's networked) that can connect to the network and uses about 20W , most even have a torrent client...

Which leads to 3
You do not spend any time finding movies if you are a pirate, the movies find you.
Downloading can be a hassle
But burning? Remember the NAS? TV's can have network access by now, including a media center function. alternatively you can stream to TV via HDMI which is a bit of an hassle but possible.. you could also just copy it on an USB stick or drive and physically carry it to the PC. So.. yeah, burning.. not really.

As for 4...
Truly if you are stressed and worried, public torrents is not what you'd be using... and if you use the alternatives there is literally -0- reason to be worried about ever getting caught. Because you can't be. At least I never heard of anyone being caught for downloading stuff from usenet or a filehost link.

32. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 21:18 nin

Creston, I believe they offer a 30 day trial on their software. But you won't need it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 21:14 Creston

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 10, 2012, 19:08:
Creston wrote on May 10, 2012, 15:10:
If you use their software to, say, disable all these bullshit trailers and anti-piracy warnings etc, does that then only work if you watch it on your PC? Or can they somehow disable them on the disc so that it also works on any other dvd player? (or blu-ray player?)

They seem to indicate that they can remove region restrictions so it can be used on any player whatsoever, but does that still require the software to be running?

You would use the removal functionality to remove that crap from a rip you can make from your own dvd. that can be for a compressed digital format on your computer, or an exact/compressed copy of the dvd you can burn with the items removed.

The region "bit" on a dvd can be removed with the software also so the resulting copy of the dvd is essentially "region free". This can make it work in any dvd players that can play region free discs. No software is required to be running to make this happen, just something that is removed in the back-up/copy process.

Thanks Mordecai, that explains it perfectly.

Creston

30. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 19:08 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on May 10, 2012, 15:10:
If you use their software to, say, disable all these bullshit trailers and anti-piracy warnings etc, does that then only work if you watch it on your PC? Or can they somehow disable them on the disc so that it also works on any other dvd player? (or blu-ray player?)

They seem to indicate that they can remove region restrictions so it can be used on any player whatsoever, but does that still require the software to be running?

You would use the removal functionality to remove that crap from a rip you can make from your own dvd. that can be for a compressed digital format on your computer, or an exact/compressed copy of the dvd you can burn with the items removed.

The region "bit" on a dvd can be removed with the software also so the resulting copy of the dvd is essentially "region free". This can make it work in any dvd players that can play region free discs. No software is required to be running to make this happen, just something that is removed in the back-up/copy process.

29. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 18:40 ventry

jdreyer wrote on May 10, 2012, 14:52:
Fourth there's the stress and worry

Stress????
Worry???
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!
Good one.

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 16:57 PHJF

Not sure what all these unskippable advertisements/trailers everyone keeps talking about are. In all the movies I own, I don't think I've ever run across a set of trailers that I couldn't skip in one way or another. While specific buttons may give you a "this option is not available" type error, usually one of the following will work:

I rented Fast Five (BRD) from a Red Box and there was no possible way to skip. I couldn't even fast forward.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 16:05 CommunistHamster

• First you have to own a computer (as opposed to the cheaper DVD or BRD player)

• Everyone has a computer already.

• Second, there's the electricity used to download and burn.

• Same applies to TV/dvd player, and in a comparison like this they cancel out

• Third there's the time spent finding, downloading, and burning.

• This is where the non-tech mainstream have a problem, yes.

• Fourth there's the stress and worry associated with doing something illegal, whether it be a moral or fear-based stress.

• Only slight, considering the odds of being caught.

The internet is the new gutenburg machine and the only reasons there isn't a universal platform where anyone can instantly watch any movie ever made are licensing disagreements (ie lawyers, laughing hysterically, rolling in piles of cash while huffing gold dust and cocaine off platinum busts of themselves) and the pride and idiocy of the studios in thinking they can get away with ignoring or not understanding the potential of the internet, instead sticking to the VHS model.

Netflix is close, but it doesn't have every movie ever made, and is limited by country. Hey assholes, the internet doesn't have borders! Stop region-locking things!

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 15:42 Rattlehead

I've never purchased a CD/DVD/Blu Ray in my life. I don't see the reason. There is absolutely no advantage to buying a legit copy when it comes with copyright protection that I have to jump through hoops just to use. Fuck that. I'd rather download an MP3 or AVI and be on my way.

I guess I'd rather save my money for concerts or see the movie in the theater.

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 15:29 MacLeod

* next chapter
    * Top Menu
    * Pop Up Menu

I've never had one of those three not be able to skip the trailer.
    (Mind you, I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I haven't encountered it and my movie collection stands at about 500+ titles)

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 15:21 necrosis

killer_roach wrote on May 10, 2012, 13:53:
    nin wrote on May 10, 2012, 10:56:
    I'd be surprised if slysoft doesn't offer an option to rip those right out soon...

Assuming they don't already. My purchase of a lifetime license was money well spent.
    Yeah upgraded mine to HD just before they cut off lifetime licenses. So worth it.

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 15:13 Cutter

Verno wrote on May 10, 2012, 11:55:
    Meanwhile downloaded movies carry no warnings at all and can be played on any device without fear of DRM interference. It's difficult to imagine why people are turning away from physical media!

Lol!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 15:10 Creston

killer_roach wrote on May 10, 2012, 13:53:
    I'd be surprised if slysoft doesn't offer an option to rip those right out soon...

Assuming they don't already. My purchase of a lifetime license was money well spent.

slysoft? ripping it out? Please do tell please do tell please do tell!!!!

Please?

Edit : Okay, so I found their website, but I am curious about something. If you use their software to, say, disable all these bullshit trailers and anti-piracy warnings etc, does that then only work if you watch it on your PC? Or can they somehow disable them on the disc so that it also works on any other dvd player? (or blu-ray player?)

Creston

This comment was edited on May 10, 2012, 15:39.

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 14:52 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on May 10, 2012, 13:27:
    You forget that pirate movies also are free And free and superior gives paid and inferior a hard time to compete.

Well, they're not exactly free. First you have to own a computer (as opposed to the cheaper DVD or BRD player). Second, there's the electricity used to download and burn. Third there's the time spent finding, downloading, and burning. Fourth there's the stress and worry associated with doing something illegal, whether it be a moral or fear-based stress.

There's a reason that Netflix streaming is the number one internet bandwidth user: it's cheap, it's convenient, it's fast, and it's legal.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 13:53 killer_roach

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 13:50 MadBoris

Maybe this will pave the way for higher quality piracy.
    I'd be happy to pay $20 for the movie without government interference in wasting time of my life, which they so value.

Make it high quality, start adding actual features to your releases that add value, compete to make them the best, then start selling them ALL OVER THE INTERNET. High quality bootlegs with added features everywhere.

Honestly though, as someone who has been on the Blu-Ray bandwagon for years and love the A/V, I hate the people behind it. They are ruining the medium with raping customers by price, still. If the greed could be dropped a few notches DVD would probably have been in minority much quicker as a medium. It deserves to fail, because of the people running it, and it may even deserve to be stolen if they are just as morally/ethically criminal.

If the price was more equitable maybe it wouldn't get stolen so much.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 13:27 eRe4s3r

You forget that pirate movies also are free And free and superior gives paid and inferior a hard time to compete.

And by the way, I would gladly watch 10 minutes of unskippable ads (at the beginning) + trailers and local movie related info for my area if the movie would be free and in high quality h.264 encoded HD with 5.1 sound (at least)

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 13:26 m0deth

InBlack wrote on May 10, 2012, 10:28:
    I always liked id's copyright infringement message best:

"If you are playing an illegal version of Doom2 you are going to HELL!"

This sounds like either an old Adrian Carmack or Todd Swollenhead comment, you know, where they try to mix humor with threat, yet come off awkward about it?

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2012, 13:20 Prez

I buy everything from Amazon Instant Video now. Nothing but the movie, cheaper than the DVD, no physical media to store (and lose), and plays on your TV. You can even download them and watch them while offline. Not for everyone, like people who prefer the actual disc version with the extras, but for me it's the most convenient, least annoying method of obtaining movies legally.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo