Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 20:01 The Half Elf

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2012, 15:15:
And I would want to buy one of these why? So I can pay taxes on it that I wouldn't with a direct purchase from Steam and support Lamestop to boot? Pass.

Family members buying gift cards for birthdays, xmas, etc.
Have my family buy me these for xmas, hang onto them for the Xmas, Summer, Spring sales and viola!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 18:25 Ray Marden

The writing was on the wall once Lamestop starting pushing digital keys you would purchase in store and then go home to download a game with. It is really clunky watching them sell a game to somebody and try to offer a little code for another $10-$20.

Also, the few PC games it carries are being pushed to download-only as well. If you find one of the stores that sells PC games, the stand is primarily placards of the box art with instructions on how you buy it in store and then download from Lamestop's website.

/RIP
I was surprised by how much of the console stuff was digital.
Betting it is trying to figure out a way to sell digital warranties, too,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

24. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 18:12 Mashiki Amiketo

Jivaro wrote on May 10, 2012, 16:29:
In California gift cards don't have sales tax, can't have service fees, and they aren't permitted to have expiration dates unless printed on the cards in a certain size font prior to sale. Digital or retail.

Is that unique? I thought that was the norm.
Unique. Some places have that some don't. I believe Ontario passed a law making it so, but I could be wrong.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

23. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 16:59 Creston

Bucky wrote on May 10, 2012, 11:21:
So what happens to Impulse now? I personally bailed on it as soon at it was sold, and then picked up most of the titles I had on Impulse through Steam whenever they went on sale.

I'm going to guess they'll just shut it down, and fuck everyone who had games on it. The only games I have left on it that I didn't duplicate on Steam are the two Penny Arcade games, and I'll never play those again anyway, so meh. (edit : Oh, and SOSE, but I'll never play that again either.)

Creston

22. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 16:56 Creston

The inconvenience fee is having to visit Gamestop in some form or other.

Creston

21. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 16:39 killer_roach

Jivaro wrote on May 10, 2012, 16:29:
In California gift cards don't have sales tax, can't have service fees, and they aren't permitted to have expiration dates unless printed on the cards in a certain size font prior to sale. Digital or retail.

No sales tax or service fees here in Michigan on them...

20. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 16:29 Jivaro

19. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 16:22 nin

Never paid tax on a gift card here. Maybe you got an uninformed clerk?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 16:17 Julio

Wonder if they use the codes first, just like they use 'new' games they sell.  

17. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 16:00 panbient

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2012, 15:15:
So I can pay taxes on it that I wouldn't with a direct purchase

I'll ask again (but I'll assume the US), where is it that you need to pay tax on these products? Because here in Canada, I don't, not when I buy the PSN card (which I assume the Steam voucher will operate the same way) and not when I make a purchase on the PSN store.

16. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 15:18 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 10, 2012, 14:17:
Don't all of them take PayPal? Hell I paid for D3 with paypal (which was surprising)

Steam takes PayPal, but some people don't even use that (those people are typically either paranoid or teenagers without a bank account, maybe both).

15. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 15:15 Cutter

And I would want to buy one of these why? So I can pay taxes on it that I wouldn't with a direct purchase from Steam and support Lamestop to boot? Pass.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 14:26 jacobvandy

Nonsensical sensationalism at its finest...  

13. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 14:17 xXBatmanXx

killer_roach wrote on May 10, 2012, 13:04:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 10, 2012, 11:22:
Anyone who buys that crap from retail stores needs their head checked. I guess unless it is a gift, which most sites allow gift options anyway - you end up paying a tax.

You realize for some people that's their preferred method, as that way they don't have to use their credit card online (or don't need a credit or debit card at all - just pay cash for the voucher).

Don't all of them take PayPal? Hell I paid for D3 with paypal (which was surprising)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 13:15 Verno

It was pretty much assumed they would roll Impulse into their own store, I don't see the big deal. They bought a bunch of different companies and started building out their platform, they're far from giving up in terms of online stuff.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

11. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 13:04 killer_roach

Anyone who buys that crap from retail stores needs their head checked. I guess unless it is a gift, which most sites allow gift options anyway - you end up paying a tax.

You realize for some people that's their preferred method, as that way they don't have to use their credit card online (or don't need a credit or debit card at all - just pay cash for the voucher).

10. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 12:22 panbient

When and where are you that this happened? Here in Canada I've never had to pay tax on a similar product like a PSN gift card. I'm quite happy and excited at this news, I also hope they start selling the cards at other retailers like grocery or convenience stores (same as Apple and Sony do with their respective online marketplaces).

9. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 12:14 Agent.X7

*Rubs hands together* Excellent.

I wonder how I go about getting my hands on these? Probably not for us mere independent stores.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

8. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 11:40 NegaDeath

I had Impulse as it was the only place to get Sins of a solar empire and Galciv2. Now that's no longer the case so I don't need it anymore. Good timing too with the Gamestop purchase.  

7. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 11:33 nin

Bucky wrote on May 10, 2012, 11:21:
So what happens to Impulse now? I personally bailed on it as soon at it was sold, and then picked up most of the titles I had on Impulse through Steam whenever they went on sale.

I hadn't used impulse in awhile anyway, but lamestop was the final nail in the coffin...no way in hell I'd give them any money.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo