Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support?

A Network Engineer at Irrational Games in Boston Job Posting on LinkedIn seems to indicate some sort of multiplayer support for BioShock Infinite, saying: "Right now we’re looking for an talented and experienced individual to help us with the networking aspects of BioShock Infinite. This position will require a combination of initiative, leadership, design, coding, and daily problem solving on multiple target platforms." The responsibilities section says this position will: "Work with the team who created BioShock network code," and is "Responsible for delivering a robust, scalable, and responsive client-side networking support on the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 platforms." Thanks supererogatory.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 12, 2012, 01:54 Jerykk

Creston wrote on May 10, 2012, 17:05:
Orogogus wrote on May 10, 2012, 14:33:
You can also just save and load as if the chambers weren't there and it just said "Game Over" when you died. To be honest I never really understood the complaints. It's the same as when people used to complain about games that let you save & load anywhere.

There is actually a difference. Say you're coming up on some kind of mini-boss fight.

With save/reload, you actually have to kill him without dying, because if you die, the damage you've done obviously is nullified when you reload (whether you can save during the battle or not.)

With a respawn chamber, you can just run at him, shoot once, do a pip of damage, get annihilated, respawn, run at him, shoot once, do a pip of damage, get anihilated, respawn etc etc etc etc until he's dead.

That's how I got through one particular stupid boss in Prey. Just stood still, never moved, and fired. He'd kill me, I'd go to the spirit world where I never bothered to fire a single arrow at red or blue spirits, I'd get respawned with 50% health, fire at the boss a few times, get killed again, etc etc etc. The only reason I did this is because I was tired of the game, wanted to see the end, and it was a cheap-as-shit boss anyway.

It's a completely broken mechanism. If you respawn, enemy health should be reset to 100%. Otherwise you can literally never fail in the game, ever.

Creston

I think he was saying that you aren't forced to use the respawn chambers in Bioshock or the spirit resurrection thing in Prey. If you die, you can just load your last save and pretend that lame respawn mechanics don't exist.

With the casual nature of modern gaming, it's not uncommon for me to go to extra lengths to add challenge to games. When I played Bioshock and Prey, I didn't use the respawn mechanics and the games were much more enjoyable for it. If you exploited inherently broken mechanics, it's ultimately your lack of self-restraint that ruined the experience for you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 17:05 Creston

You can also just save and load as if the chambers weren't there and it just said "Game Over" when you died. To be honest I never really understood the complaints. It's the same as when people used to complain about games that let you save & load anywhere.

There is actually a difference. Say you're coming up on some kind of mini-boss fight.

With save/reload, you actually have to kill him without dying, because if you die, the damage you've done obviously is nullified when you reload (whether you can save during the battle or not.)

With a respawn chamber, you can just run at him, shoot once, do a pip of damage, get annihilated, respawn, run at him, shoot once, do a pip of damage, get anihilated, respawn etc etc etc etc until he's dead.

That's how I got through one particular stupid boss in Prey. Just stood still, never moved, and fired. He'd kill me, I'd go to the spirit world where I never bothered to fire a single arrow at red or blue spirits, I'd get respawned with 50% health, fire at the boss a few times, get killed again, etc etc etc. The only reason I did this is because I was tired of the game, wanted to see the end, and it was a cheap-as-shit boss anyway.

It's a completely broken mechanism. If you respawn, enemy health should be reset to 100%. Otherwise you can literally never fail in the game, ever.

Creston

24. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 14:39 nin

It's exactly the same. If you don't like the feature, don't use it (I never did in Bio).

Some will tell you it ruins the experience. I'll tell you they have no self control.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 14:33 Orogogus

22. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 14:24 NegaDeath

Isn't the vita chamber/easy argument kinda moot since they patched in the option to disable it in B1? And B2 had that option available by default.

Not that I turned it off, I'm a wuss.

21. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 11:38 Orogogus

Slashman wrote on May 10, 2012, 08:45:
But hey...Nothing is more important than not punishing players for dieing!

If their rationale hasn't changed since System Shock, I think the idea isn't to avoid punishing players -- System Shock 1 & 2 were pretty respawn-heavy and didn't have many bosses -- but to maintain immersion and give people a way to stay in the game instead of just saving and reloading through to the end.

20. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 11:24 Creston

InBlack wrote on May 10, 2012, 03:17:
I dont remember any resurecition chamebers in System Shock 2. Could be my rosy-tinted glasses though....but I swear that game mechanic just sucks major balls.

It's basically what destroyed Prey.

Creston

19. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 11:21 Creston

MacLeod wrote on May 10, 2012, 09:49:
DarkCntry wrote on May 10, 2012, 00:30:
If you're alluding to Mass Effect 3, you might want to not...the galactic readiness meant overall jack when you basically got enough assets just from playing the normal game for all of the endings.

Except that's not true. The maximum war assets in the game amount to approximately 7500. Which means without multiplayer or using the iPhone app, you get ~3750. Which isn't enough to unlock the "best" ending (4000+ given a certain requirement, 5000+ otherwise).

The whole "best" ending thing is a misnomer anyway. All endings suck and each is as miserable as the next. The "best" ending adds like four seconds of an N7 operative breathing under rubble.

Since you're already asked to come up with every single detail about the endings yourself anyway, as Casey Hudson and Mac Walters were too fucking lazy to do it for you, I'm sure you can dream up that Shepard is alive by yourself as well.

In any case, play ME3 until you fire off the rockets at the Reaper destroyer, then turn it off. It's a much better experience that way, and you don't ever have to worry about the utterly worthless "war assets" horseshit.

ON TOPIC: Yay, more Bioshock multiplayer, because everyone loved it so much in Bioshock 2??

Creston

18. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 09:49 MacLeod

DarkCntry wrote on May 10, 2012, 00:30:
If you're alluding to Mass Effect 3, you might want to not...the galactic readiness meant overall jack when you basically got enough assets just from playing the normal game for all of the endings.

Except that's not true. The maximum war assets in the game amount to approximately 7500. Which means without multiplayer or using the iPhone app, you get ~3750. Which isn't enough to unlock the "best" ending (4000+ given a certain requirement, 5000+ otherwise).

17. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 08:45 Slashman

But hey...Nothing is more important than not punishing players for dieing!  

16. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 07:34 Beamer

JohnBirshire wrote on May 10, 2012, 04:21:
....but I swear that game mechanic just sucks major balls.

I agree, it makes no sense whatsoever. If you can resurrect yourself when you die...why couldn't everyone else in the game world?

The best was a really difficult Big Daddy fight I had in BS2. I was low on ammo and didn't want to waste the big damage ammo I had. Fortunately the Big Daddy was within view of a resurrection chamber, so I died about 1000 times using my most basic ammo. No big deal.

Not much fun, either.
Then again, at least it's instant, which beats waiting 10-40 seconds to quickload.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 06:06 theyarecomingforyou

I really hope it's co-op support, not multiplayer. Who actually bothered with the multiplayer in Bioshock 2?  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 04:28 beigemore

Jerykk wrote on May 9, 2012, 23:00:
Did anyone play Bioshock 2 multiplayer on any platform?

One of my nephews was really into bioshock 2 mp, but it was his first foray into online console gaming (ps3). He's not really into fps much like his brother.

13. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 04:21 JohnBirshire

....but I swear that game mechanic just sucks major balls.

I agree, it makes no sense whatsoever. If you can resurrect yourself when you die...why couldn't everyone else in the game world?

12. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 04:11 Orogogus

I dont remember any resurecition chamebers in System Shock 2. Could be my rosy-tinted glasses though....but I swear that game mechanic just sucks major balls.

These things:

http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/systemshock2/science/27.jpg (rightmost image)

It cost 10 nanites to resurrect, which was like half the cost of buying a basic healing item.

11. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 04:03 Jerykk

SS2 had resurrection chambers, but they were far less common than in Bioshock, you had to find and activate them before you could use them and it cost credits to use them.

10. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 03:17 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 00:50 Orogogus

It seems like co-op would be a much better fit here than for Dead Space 3. Shooter vs. survival horror notwithstanding, a lot of the set pieces in DS2 would be at least a little stupid with 2 people. (Spoilers)

Two people hanging upside down from the subway train? 2 people being yanked around by hallucinatory tentacles? 2 people flying in ejection pods?

I love co-op and I love Dead Space, but it just seems like a poor fit to make it a buddy horror game. Whereas Bioshock Infinite is from the same guys that made System Shock 2, one of the few games that tacked on multiplayer/co-op post-release, and presumably it still has the trademark System Shock/Bioshock resurrection chambers.

8. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 00:30 DarkCntry

NegaDeath wrote on May 10, 2012, 00:20:
I swear if we have to grind multiplayer to unlock a better ending.....

7. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 00:20 NegaDeath

I swear if we have to grind multiplayer to unlock a better ending.....  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo