Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Online Video Blowout

In addition to a pair of matching MechWarrior Online previews on GameSpy and IGN (where they call it "a thinking person's shooter"), IGN has posted a batch of screenshots and a bunch of videos to the YouTube from the upcoming CryEngine 3 game. There's a Video Preview, a MechLab Developer Breakdown, a Light Mech Developer Breakdown, a Medium Mech Developer Breakdown, a Heavy Mech Developer Breakdown, and an Assault Mech Developer Breakdown. Thanks Boris.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 21:06 RollinThundr

eRe4s3r wrote on May 10, 2012, 13:08:
Well if this game doesn't feature destruction of the terrain you gotta ask what the point of it is. If we want a skirmish mech game we got MW4, more SIM approach in MW2. But if all they do is just making it look nicer but don't actually improve the brain-dead (circle circle circle around) gameplay then what is the point?

Why can't we destroy buildings, set fire to forests, have missiles cause craters, have armor melt down and create huge steam fountains when it hits water.....

Also no lock-on function for missiles, and still the same stupid "number-armor" system instead of a realistic pseudo-physic (angle, material) simulation. Game looks like arcade crap, and every single preview makes it look worse. Sure we can walk around with mechs.. but that isn't doing it for me anymore.

Did you watch their original pitch demo? It had all that. When you can't get major funding, extras like that tend to not make it to the game.

It's free to play, it resembles MPBT:3025 with far better visuals and customization. Obviously people have different wants and tastes, but that's fine by me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 19:10 Warskull

Jerykk wrote on May 9, 2012, 23:13:
RollinThundr wrote on May 9, 2012, 22:43:
Cutter wrote on May 9, 2012, 22:30:
Nice previews and footage. I'm stoked for this now. It's just a shame it's F2P instead of a full-game with private servers. They monetize ths thing too much and it won't work.

What's sadder is no publisher wanted to pick it up and give us a SP campaign. But I'll take another stab at MPBT, since this pretty much is the spitting image of that game. I think they've already said any paid for stuff would mainly be cosmetic and that they were avoiding any type of P2W type of scheme.

I'm pretty sure you'll still have to unlock different weapons and parts with XP and that they'll sell XP Boosters for real money. That's what every other F2P game does. So while you technically aren't buying these weapons and parts, you're paying for the ability to unlock them much faster than people who don't pay.

The mechlab preview made it look like the previous Mechwarrior games where you buy each mech and each weapon. So if you need 3 Medium lasers, you must buy 3 of them. It looks like CBills with be their "XP."

23. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 16:46 Orogogus

Regarding maps, I really didn't like that in the map they were demoing on (most clearly in the Assault 'Mech demo), there was this smallish chasm with a completely fake looking rock bridge going over it. Would it really be that bad to give 'Mechs with jump jets that edge?  

22. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 16:32 MadBoris

eRe4s3r wrote on May 10, 2012, 13:08:
Why can't we destroy buildings, set fire to forests, have missiles cause craters, have armor melt down and create huge steam fountains when it hits water.....

Yeah, there isn't much evolution yet to be seen. If it's commercially viable in the first 6 months, I'm sure they will want to ramp some things up. Hopefully it's not like STO which took them 2 yrs, and going to f2p, to bring ship models into this century.

The fact is the developers, PGI, aren't funded all that well and production hasn't gone that long, and as for top talent, I'm seeing less and less in the industry. They were developing a mech game from circa 2009, ran into legal troubles by unexpected directions, it got scrapped last year.
Then had to lick wounds, and had to go and scramble for funding for this. The joys of game development. Mechwarrior has been tied up legally for a long time, these guys fought pretty hard to get it.

They have neither time or money to make this our wet dream game (in my standards at least), too bad really. We can also blame standards of gaming dropping steadily the last 5 years or so, thanks to gamers on consoles and unfinished buggy mmo's. I used to play demos to see if I was going to be a customer, now they pay for the game upfront to get into a beta (LOL).

Because of that, I cut PGI a break, it hasn't been an easy ride and no fault of theirs. They can't afford to spend a lot on pre-rendered scenes and fluff. Hopefully they pull it off, keep getting some talented mapmakers and artists.

21. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 15:00 Shataan

While it is cool that MWO is finally bringing back the Mech action.... I still hope we see some competing Mech offerings that allow us a sp campaign mode.  

20. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 13:08 eRe4s3r

Well if this game doesn't feature destruction of the terrain you gotta ask what the point of it is. If we want a skirmish mech game we got MW4, more SIM approach in MW2. But if all they do is just making it look nicer but don't actually improve the brain-dead (circle circle circle around) gameplay then what is the point?

Also no lock-on function for missiles, and still the same stupid "number-armor" system instead of a realistic pseudo-physic (angle, material) simulation. Game looks like arcade crap, and every single preview makes it look worse. Sure we can walk around with mechs.. but that isn't doing it for me anymore.

19. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 13:04 Prez

InBlack wrote on May 10, 2012, 03:21:
Mechwarrior games had some truly great SP campaigns, but remember the origins of Mechwarior, Battle Tech table top MULTIPLAYER gaming. Yeah thats right, everyone's favorite single player mech stompers had their roots in multiplayer gaming.

While that is true, it is also irrelevant for people who never played the Mechwarrior tabletop games. Like the Warhammer games, the only Mechwarrior I know or care about is what makes it to PC. So this being multiplayer-only is a deal-breaker for me, since far and away the best PC MW experiences have been singleplayer .

Give me a real PC Mechwarrior kickstarter project to donate to. Anything with "Online" in the title is instantly dead to me.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

18. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 12:22 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on May 10, 2012, 12:00:
No terrain destruction or really.. ANY destruction? What the hell. No trees blowing up, no huge explosions, no decent missile trails.. nor melting armor or glowing red weapons or heat exchangers.....

not hyped

No offense, but that sounds a little too much like Michael Bay's brand of Hollywood effects. One of the things I didn't like about Mechwarrior 4 was how every 'Mech had to go down in a cataclysmic engine meltdown.

I guess it would be nice if the trees at least fell over when you walked through them, though.

17. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 12:00 eRe4s3r

No terrain destruction or really.. ANY destruction? What the hell. No trees blowing up, no huge explosions, no decent missile trails.. nor melting armor or glowing red weapons or heat exchangers.....

not hyped

16. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 11:48 RollinThundr

Lokust wrote on May 10, 2012, 10:06:
I cannot wait to give these guys a direct line to my bank account. I would have paid $100/mo for the MPBT 3025 that EA cancelled right as it was finished. DO WANT.

I was just thinking of this earlier, I'd happily pay to play this. I would have happily paid to play MPBT:3025 even in the primitive state it was in at the time during beta. I can't count how many times my regular squad took Marik's cap on a regular basis. Or switching it up and dropping in Kurita or Liao territory. God I miss that game so fucking much!!!

15. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 11:33 Creston

It looks awesome.

Creston

14. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 10:08 Zarkonis

I am so waiting for this.  
Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

13. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 10:07 ShakaUVM

Yeah. While MWO really excites me, I have a hatred for F2P games that burns hotter than the hellforges of Akashia.

Tribes Ascend would have gotten money from me if it wasn't free to play, for example. The glacial XP rate, which gets fixed only if you give them money (VIP BONUS! XP BOOSTERS!) was a deal breaker for me.

12. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 10:06 Lokust

I cannot wait to give these guys a direct line to my bank account. I would have paid $100/mo for the MPBT 3025 that EA cancelled right as it was finished. DO WANT.  

11. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 05:18 Paketep

InBlack wrote on May 10, 2012, 03:21:
Mechwarrior games had some truly great SP campaigns, but remember the origins of Mechwarior, Battle Tech table top MULTIPLAYER gaming. Yeah thats right, everyone's favorite single player mech stompers had their roots in multiplayer gaming.

Yep, that's why I'd like to play with my friends in a LAN, in the same room, like I did when I played the original Battletech.

I'm tired of shitty F2P MMO's, always with the unlocking and the nickle and diming.

10. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 03:21 InBlack

The screenshots look great, Im looking forward to this. Im hoping it will be along the lines of World of Tanks, but with some actual complexity and more battle modes.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2012, 08:07.

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 01:23 Spaced

Yeah, this is looking fantastic. It's been quite a while since I've been this interested and excited about a PC game. SP would indeed be nice, but I'm looking forward to this 'get to the point' online approach as well.  

8. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 00:14 Keith

Looks great. They're going to be getting some of my $$$, for sure.  

7. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 9, 2012, 23:13 Jerykk

Nice previews and footage. I'm stoked for this now. It's just a shame it's F2P instead of a full-game with private servers. They monetize ths thing too much and it won't work.

What's sadder is no publisher wanted to pick it up and give us a SP campaign. But I'll take another stab at MPBT, since this pretty much is the spitting image of that game. I think they've already said any paid for stuff would mainly be cosmetic and that they were avoiding any type of P2W type of scheme.

I'm pretty sure you'll still have to unlock different weapons and parts with XP and that they'll sell XP Boosters for real money. That's what every other F2P game does. So while you technically aren't buying these weapons and parts, you're paying for the ability to unlock them much faster than people who don't pay.

6. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 9, 2012, 23:06 Cutter

Yeah, that's nuts. This thing would have sold a million easy as regular game with SP and MP.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo