Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Infinite Delayed

Irrational Games announces that they will not be showing BioShock Infinite at this year's E3, and that the release of their first-person shooter sequel is being delayed until the very specific release date of February 26, 2013. Here's word:

A MESSAGE FROM KEN LEVINE

When we announced the release date of BioShock Infinite in March, we felt pretty good about the timing.

Since then, we’ve come to realize that some specific tweaks and improvements will make Infinite into something even more extraordinary. Therefore, to give our talented team the time they need, we’ve decided to move the game’s release to February 26, 2013. We wanted to let our loyal (and very patient!) fans know this as soon as possible.

I won’t kid you: BioShock Infinite is a very big game, and we’re doing things that no one has ever done in a first-person shooter. We had a similar experience with the original BioShock, which was delayed several months as our original ship date drew near. Why? Because the Big Daddies weren’t the Big Daddies you’ve since come to know and love. Because Andrew Ryan’s golf club didn’t have exactly the right swing. Because Rapture needed one more coat of grimy Art Deco.

The same principle now applies to BioShock Infinite.

What does this mean for you? It means a bit more waiting, but more importantly, it means an even better BioShock Infinite. The great can be made greater, and we owe it to both ourselves and to you, our fans, to take this opportunity. Irrational Games is one of those rare developers lucky enough to ask the people who sign the checks: “Hey, can we have a few more of those checks?”

We are also going to hold off on showing BioShock Infinite at the big events of the summer, like E3 and Gamescom. That way, the next time you see our game, it will be essentially the product we intend to put in the box. Preparing for these events takes time away from development, time we’re going to use instead to get the best version of Infinite into your hands in February.

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

44. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:01 Beamer

space captain wrote on May 9, 2012, 19:58:
Beamer wrote on May 9, 2012, 19:43:
That picture, which people keep throwing up, is mostly idiotic, anyway. Does anyone really want to say that Doom, which was all flat, visible polygons and required criss-crossing back and forth over the same level with new monster closets opening up every time you find a new keycard, was really superior to most of what we have today?

Doom was shit compared to Duke 3D, especially in terms of map design.. but pretty much everything else as well.. Duke 3D kicked ass

and bioshock was ok... thats about it, its average at best

DN3D was definitely better, but a decent amount of time later. I always considered it a competitor to Quake more than Doom, and thought it killed Quake (I kind of hated single player Quake.)

Bioshock was, as many are saying, a really cool concept with gameplay that got somewhat tiresome but, by and large, the atmosphere was enough to carry you through it. BioShock 2 was more of the same, with some cool improvements, and well worth the $5 I paid.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 19:58 Beamer

wtf_man wrote on May 9, 2012, 19:55:
but I'm pretty happy to have something that pays attention to plot and pacing now.

You are smoking crack if you think Bioshock even comes close to System Shock 2 in the "paying attention to plot and pacing" department.

Bioshock was a VERY mediocre shooter, at best, had very "straight forward" level design (on rails, as some would say), and hardly gripped you to the story at all. To top it off, it wasn't all that scary or creepy either, after the first few fights. It just didn't have the intensity of System Shock 2, IMO... plain and simple. It was so bad, that I played maybe 1/3rd of it and deleted it from my hard drive. Spiritual Successor, my ass.

You're nuts if you think that graphic looks like most System Shock 2 maps.
But the second one kind of reminds me of HL or HL2.

-------------

42. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 19:58 space captain

That picture, which people keep throwing up, is mostly idiotic, anyway. Does anyone really want to say that Doom, which was all flat, visible polygons and required criss-crossing back and forth over the same level with new monster closets opening up every time you find a new keycard, was really superior to most of what we have today?

Doom was shit compared to Duke 3D, especially in terms of map design.. but pretty much everything else as well.. Duke 3D kicked ass

and bioshock was ok... thats about it, its average at best

Go forth, and kill!

41. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 19:55 wtf_man

but I'm pretty happy to have something that pays attention to plot and pacing now.

You are smoking crack if you think Bioshock even comes close to System Shock 2 in the "paying attention to plot and pacing" department.

Bioshock was a VERY mediocre shooter, at best, had very "straight forward" level design (on rails, as some would say), and hardly gripped you to the story at all. To top it off, it wasn't all that scary or creepy either, after the first few fights. It just didn't have the intensity of System Shock 2, IMO... plain and simple. It was so bad, that I played maybe 1/3rd of it and deleted it from my hard drive. Spiritual Successor, my ass.

40. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 19:43 Beamer

wtf_man wrote on May 9, 2012, 19:40:
Beamer wrote on May 9, 2012, 19:01:
Do people even remember what "on rails" means?

Some of you need to remember the mid-late 90s better.

You mean like this? (Which was used to compare Duke 3D with Duke Nukem Forever)

Level Design Classic

Yeah... that's pretty close to System Shock 2 vs. Bioshock (Level Design-wise), from what I can remember.

I may have loved running up and down every wall hitting space trying to find secrets when I was 13, but I'm pretty happy to have something that pays attention to plot and pacing now. Yes, CoD does neither, no, not every game is CoD.

-------------

39. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 19:40 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on May 9, 2012, 19:01:

You mean like this? (Which was used to compare Duke 3D with Duke Nukem Forever in an Ars Technica article)

Level Design Classic

Yeah... that's pretty close to System Shock 2 vs. Bioshock (Level Design-wise), from what I can remember.

38. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 19:39 MajorD

Metro 2033 was on rails. Wink

37. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 19:20 Prez

Bioshock was not on rails.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 19:01 Beamer

-------------

35. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 18:40 Jerykk

This was a spiritual successor to SS2. Play SS2 and tell me that BioShock isn't on rails. Just because it's less of a theme park ride than CoD doesn't mean it's not on rails.

The level design was pretty much the same as SS2's. The levels were open hubs, with different areas becoming accessible as you progressed. Like SS2, you could go back to areas you've previously cleared (though Bioshock didn't really give you any reason to).

34. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 18:32 wtf_man

Can't say I care about this.

Bioshock sucked. I was really disappointed that it didn't fill the shoes of being a "Spiritual Successor to System Shock"... by a long shot.

I heard Bioshock 2 was even worse.

So... I have no real interest in Bioshock Infinite.

It's pretty evident the team chemistry that made the Ultima Underworlds, System Shocks, and Thief's... is long gone.

33. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 17:51 Yakubs

Jerykk wrote on May 9, 2012, 12:39:
Seems like a pretty similar situation: Levine promising groundbreaking features and gameplay, and what did we get with BioShock? An on-rails shooter with good art design and mediocre-to-bad everything else.

"On-rails" is a bit of a stretch. Bioshock was still more open-ended than the bulk of shooters. CoD is on-rails. Bioshock, not so much.

This was a spiritual successor to SS2. Play SS2 and tell me that BioShock isn't on rails. Just because it's less of a theme park ride than CoD doesn't mean it's not on rails.

32. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 17:40 JediPunisher

That's ok... Too many games, too little time.
Here are the big ones left this year... Am I missing anything?

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Q2 2012
Assassin's Creed III - 10/31/12
Borderlands 2 - 9/18/12
Call of Duty: Black Ops2 - 11/13/12
Diablo 3 - 5/15/12
Dragon's Dogma - 5/22/12
Far Cry 3 - 9/4/12
Ghost Recon Future Soldier - 5/22/12
GTA V - 2012
Halo 4 - 11/4/12
Max Payne 3 - 5/15/12
Medal of Honor: Warfighter - 10/23/12
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 2012
Metro 2: Last Light - 2012
Resident Evil 6 - 10/2/12
Tomb Raider (reboot) - 12/31/12

This comment was edited on May 9, 2012, 20:57.

31. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 16:34 Cutter

They could have just said, 'It's not ready yet.'

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

30. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 15:18 DangerDog

Looks like they need to tighten up the rails for this game.  

29. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 14:41 KTR

nin wrote on May 9, 2012, 10:56:
Hey! Falls open! Stuff GTA5 in there! NOW!

First exact thought came to mind.

28. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 14:14 Prez

Bioshock may have suffered a bit in the inevitable comparison with System Shock, and the mronic DRM was more of a headline than the game itself, but I really liked it. I even enjoyed the sequel (though admittedly I never finished it). Irrational gamesdefinitley do atmosphere well. The delay isn't much of an issue, and if it means a better game at the end then it is a welcome one.

The new setting looks extremely interesting.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 14:12 Ratty

I can't recall now the hype for the original Bioshock, but from what I've been hearing about Infinite it does seem they are taking a pretty big risk as far as character interaction. No more mute hero and NPCs behind glass (or at least the main NPCs - they're still relying on the old gimmick of audio logs). Incorporating conversations during gameplay and outside of cutscenes has got to be hard to do right. And I guess they're pretty sensitive to context: depending on what you do and their mood the dialog can be completely different. Unlike in Skyrim where you can murder someone right in front of a merchant and they'll happily continue hawking their wares and making cheerful conversation.

I don't know if it'll be like Oblivion was, where they promised way more than they delivered as far as the characters, but it'll be interesting. I think they need all that extra time to put in a whole ton of if/else stuff in their dialog code.

26. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 13:33 nin

Ruffiana wrote on May 9, 2012, 13:16:
News about game delays don't affect me in the slightest. When things are on the shelf, I'll pay attention.

What is this "shelf" you speak of?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 13:31 NegaDeath

Doh!

No wait, not era appropriate....

Forsooth!

Seriously though that is one hell of a delay. But better to be delayed than to be released in unfinished shape I suppose.

DNF is an exception.

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo