Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Infinite Delayed

Irrational Games announces that they will not be showing BioShock Infinite at this year's E3, and that the release of their first-person shooter sequel is being delayed until the very specific release date of February 26, 2013. Here's word:

A MESSAGE FROM KEN LEVINE

When we announced the release date of BioShock Infinite in March, we felt pretty good about the timing.

Since then, we’ve come to realize that some specific tweaks and improvements will make Infinite into something even more extraordinary. Therefore, to give our talented team the time they need, we’ve decided to move the game’s release to February 26, 2013. We wanted to let our loyal (and very patient!) fans know this as soon as possible.

I won’t kid you: BioShock Infinite is a very big game, and we’re doing things that no one has ever done in a first-person shooter. We had a similar experience with the original BioShock, which was delayed several months as our original ship date drew near. Why? Because the Big Daddies weren’t the Big Daddies you’ve since come to know and love. Because Andrew Ryan’s golf club didn’t have exactly the right swing. Because Rapture needed one more coat of grimy Art Deco.

The same principle now applies to BioShock Infinite.

What does this mean for you? It means a bit more waiting, but more importantly, it means an even better BioShock Infinite. The great can be made greater, and we owe it to both ourselves and to you, our fans, to take this opportunity. Irrational Games is one of those rare developers lucky enough to ask the people who sign the checks: “Hey, can we have a few more of those checks?”

We are also going to hold off on showing BioShock Infinite at the big events of the summer, like E3 and Gamescom. That way, the next time you see our game, it will be essentially the product we intend to put in the box. Preparing for these events takes time away from development, time we’re going to use instead to get the best version of Infinite into your hands in February.

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

64. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 10, 2012, 11:29 Orogogus

wtf_man wrote on May 10, 2012, 10:06:
Jerykk wrote on May 10, 2012, 03:56:
You seriously need to go back and replay SS2 and then replay Bioshock. The map designs and progression were very similar.

Perhaps you are right.

I have little recollection of Bioshock, since I was fairly disgusted with it, and never finished it. SS2, I have replayed many times, so I know it well. I do remember feeling like I was being herded, though. That said... that really isn't my main complaint. The game just felt so shallow compared to SS2 (IMO), that it was an insult to call it a "spiritual successor".

Maybe I expected too much... I don't know. But they definitely took a lot of the "RPG" out, and it was more shooter than RPG. It didn't even feel like a decent hybrid, like Deus Ex.

Maybe as a Half-Life type shooter, it stands up fairly well... but again, that is not what I was expecting as a "successor".

The RPG stuff was grafted on in SS2, it wasn't really present in System Shock, which lacked stats or skills, a money system, inventory Tetris, resurrection fees, research, weapon degradation. Pretty damn shooty, too. I feel Bioshock was probably closer to SS than the actual sequel turned out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 10, 2012, 10:50 Creston

Beamer wrote on May 10, 2012, 06:15:
Seriously, every complaint everyone here is making about "linear, on-rails" shooters applies to Half Life.

I guess Half Life ruined gaming, eh? You could only ever go in on direction, it was never mazes, you never criss-crossed back, every few feet you had a scripted sequence, there were fires that miraculously prevented you from going the easy way...

Man, Half Life sucked!

Nice little straw man you built there. Kick it harder, Beamer! Harder! Make that little man bleed!

Creston

62. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 10, 2012, 10:06 wtf_man

Jerykk wrote on May 10, 2012, 03:56:
You seriously need to go back and replay SS2 and then replay Bioshock. The map designs and progression were very similar.

Perhaps you are right.

I have little recollection of Bioshock, since I was fairly disgusted with it, and never finished it. SS2, I have replayed many times, so I know it well. I do remember feeling like I was being herded, though. That said... that really isn't my main complaint. The game just felt so shallow compared to SS2 (IMO), that it was an insult to call it a "spiritual successor".

Maybe I expected too much... I don't know. But they definitely took a lot of the "RPG" out, and it was more shooter than RPG. It didn't even feel like a decent hybrid, like Deus Ex.

Maybe as a Half-Life type shooter, it stands up fairly well... but again, that is not what I was expecting as a "successor".

61. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 10, 2012, 08:11 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on May 10, 2012, 06:15:
Seriously, every complaint everyone here is making about "linear, on-rails" shooters applies to Half Life.

I guess Half Life ruined gaming, eh? You could only ever go in on direction, it was never mazes, you never criss-crossed back, every few feet you had a scripted sequence, there were fires that miraculously prevented you from going the easy way...

Man, Half Life sucked!
Exactly. There is nothing wrong with linear gameplay if the narrative supports it. Half-Life was designed as an underground facility and used the before/after explosion design to convey the idea that it was the destruction that was limiting your progression, not the design. Bioshock was linear but it was set in an underwater complex that was by virtue of its design claustrophobic. Metro 2033 did was very similar in that it had you moving through cramped underground environments, though when the levels did open they made the mistake of maintaining a linear route through.

By contrast, games like Call Of Duty and RAGE failed because they portray relatively large environments but only give you one route through which to progress. Call Of Duty also abuses the use of scripted sequences which reduce the immersion in the game, as does its use of infinite spawns and regenerating health.

They're going to have to be careful with Bioshock Infinite as the floating airship design is very open, which is in stark contrast to the underwater design of the original. Sure the individual areas are more open but that doesn't necessarily make it less linear. Games development has moved on since the original - Call Of Duty aside - and I don't think they can get away with having levels that are too linear. Games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Skyrim have changed people's expectations and both Far Cry 3 and Dishonored will be out by then as well, which both promote open designs with multiple routes to objectives.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

60. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 10, 2012, 06:15 Beamer

Man, Half Life sucked!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

59. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 10, 2012, 03:56 Jerykk

wtf_man wrote on May 9, 2012, 20:57:
Orogogus wrote on May 9, 2012, 20:21:
There was a lot more maze design in SS2, and more roaming up and down and across levels in Bioshock.

If by "maze design", you mean being able to go in more than one direction, instead of being herded in a pretty much singular general direction... then yeah... I would call the latter being "on rails".

Incidentally, SS2 had a lot of chambers you need to take a ladder or force beam up / down to, as well (on the same "level or map").

In Bioshock, I definitely got the feeling the only direction I could go was the direction that the game would let me... which felt pretty much "on rails". Granted... it wasn't as bad as some others, nowadays... but it definitely was a step backwards compared to SS2.

You seriously need to go back and replay SS2 and then replay Bioshock. The map designs and progression were very similar. In SS2, you had floors, which you gained access to in a linear fashion. In Bioshock, you had biodomes, which you gained access to in a linear fashion. In SS2, you could go back to any floor you've already gained access to. In Bioshock, you could go back to any biodome you've already gained access to. Both games have large, open, hub-like levels with lots of backtracking and some amount of verticality.

Here are the Bioshock maps: http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/bioshock/maps/maps.htm

Note that they are not linear. You act like SS2 was Fallout or something. It wasn't. It had lots of corridors and small rooms and you couldn't choose to go anywhere at any time. You had to complete tasks to gain access to new areas and floors, just like in Bioshock.

58. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 21:31 MajorD

Creston wrote on May 9, 2012, 20:31:
MajorD wrote on May 9, 2012, 19:39:
Metro 2033 was on rails. Wink

Hahahaha. MajorD wins the thread.

Creston

Don't applaud, just throw money. Wink

57. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 21:19 Orogogus

Maze design is things like hallways doing switchbacks for no reason, figure 8 loops of corridor that have nothing in them except for one door at each end, that kind of thing. In general, anything that looks ridiculously more complicated than what people would actually ever build.

And in any case, System Shock had five times more of it than SS2. The whole maintenance level was basically four mazes around a hub area. As far as level complexity goes, SS >>> SS2 > Bioshock, the last mostly due to Bioshock being smaller overall. They all kind of suffer from having way more dead bodies and monsters than can be accounted for by the size of their environments, though.

I never got the feeling in Bioshock that I could only go in one direction. You were generally free to dick around all you wanted in areas that you'd already been in, to the point of taking the elevator to completely empty levels. There wasn't a lot of free exploration, but then, I didn't feel like there was in SS2, either. In either game you might have a choice of 2 or three rooms or small areas you haven't been in yet, there's not a whole lot of wandering off into sectors you don't have any business being in.

56. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:57 wtf_man

Orogogus wrote on May 9, 2012, 20:21:
There was a lot more maze design in SS2, and more roaming up and down and across levels in Bioshock.

If by "maze design", you mean being able to go in more than one direction, instead of being herded in a pretty much singular general direction... then yeah... I would call the latter being "on rails".

Incidentally, SS2 had a lot of chambers you need to take a ladder or force beam up / down to, as well (on the same "level or map").

In Bioshock, I definitely got the feeling the only direction I could go was the direction that the game would let me... which felt pretty much "on rails". Granted... it wasn't as bad as some others, nowadays... but it definitely was a step backwards compared to SS2.

55. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:42 space captain

Creston wrote on May 9, 2012, 20:38:
space captain wrote on May 9, 2012, 20:17:
Beamer wrote on May 9, 2012, 20:01:
DN3D was definitely better, but a decent amount of time later. I always considered it a competitor to Quake more than Doom, and thought it killed Quake (I kind of hated single player Quake.)

dude showed a picture of a duke3d map and you started talking about doom

that was my point

Err, that's E1M1, the very first map you played in Doom. It's not a Duke 3D map. (if you're talking about the map comparison image.)

Creston

err someone already pointed that out

i didnt play doom that much

i thought it sucked

Go forth, and kill!

54. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:38 Creston

DN3D was definitely better, but a decent amount of time later. I always considered it a competitor to Quake more than Doom, and thought it killed Quake (I kind of hated single player Quake.)

that was my point

Err, that's E1M1, the very first map you played in Doom. It's not a Duke 3D map. (if you're talking about the map comparison image.)

Creston

53. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:36 Creston

Beamer wrote on May 9, 2012, 19:43:
That picture, which people keep throwing up, is mostly idiotic, anyway. Does anyone really want to say that Doom, which was all flat, visible polygons and required criss-crossing back and forth over the same level with new monster closets opening up every time you find a new keycard, was really superior to most of what we have today?

What's idiotic is that we're talking about level design, and you bring up flat, visible polygons.

As for whether doom was more fun? Yes, absolutely. Gameplay wise, Doom shits all over "modern" shooters. There's never been a game that had a shotgun that felt as right as Doom's; there's never been a game where you could gather up all the monsters in a level and get them to fight each other; and there's never been another enemy as scary as the fucking Cyberdemon. And there's never been another game where if you turn up the difficulty level, the game just goes "Okay. Have another 800 monsters!" to the point where you saw entire areas of the level just FILLED with stuff to shoot.

There have also rarely been games where most monsters shoot something you can actually DODGE, rather than everything just being hitscan crap.

The "get key to open this door" bit was naff, but other than that, Doom was awesome. I enjoy a narrative shooter as much as the next guy, but the picture is, for most games, absolutely spot on. Doom gave you the idea that you were in an actual area. Modern shooters put you in a hospital, and there's miraculously only one way through the hospital because doors are closed, and certain areas are on fire (sprinklers? In hospitals? INSANE!) or collapsed, etc. And some games don't even bother with that and just put fucking invisible walls up.

Creston

52. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:36 space captain

wtf_man wrote on May 9, 2012, 20:21:
Actually... that is a Doom Map... but that picture was used in an Ars Techinca article to compare Duke 3D to Duke Nuke 'Em Forever.

yeh doom maps did suck pretty bad, but its true they were way less corridor based than modern SP games like COD etc

Go forth, and kill!

51. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:31 Creston

MajorD wrote on May 9, 2012, 19:39:
Metro 2033 was on rails. Wink

Hahahaha. MajorD wins the thread.

Creston

50. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:30 Creston

Ratty wrote on May 9, 2012, 14:12:
Unlike in Skyrim where you can murder someone right in front of a merchant and they'll happily continue hawking their wares and making cheerful conversation.

Urrrr, they actually do not do that in Skyrim.

Creston

49. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:21 wtf_man

Actually... that is a Doom Map... but that picture was used in an Ars Techinca article to compare Duke 3D to Duke Nuke 'Em Forever.

My point was... that picture pretty much represents SS2 vs. Bioshock, too. (Although the mass cutscenes thing didn't really apply)

48. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:21 Orogogus

Bioshock maps: http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/bioshock/maps/maps.htm
System Shock 2 maps: http://www.sshock2.com/ss2walk/map_eng1.html

I think they were about the same. There was a lot more maze design in SS2, and more roaming up and down and across levels in Bioshock. A lot of handholding in both, in my opinion, but more returning to previous areas and unknown doorways than you normally see in games that sane people would call "on rails".

The original System Shock was a lot more exploratory than either, taking much fewer pains to tell the player where they were supposed to go. The small levels are what pass for large ones in SS2, and it was a lot easier to get lost. I guess this is what would be termed a pacing problem.

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=1631.msg8254#msg8254

47. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:20 Smellfinger

Beamer wrote on May 9, 2012, 19:01:
That picture, which people keep throwing up, is mostly idiotic, anyway. Does anyone really want to say that Doom, which was all flat, visible polygons and required criss-crossing back and forth over the same level with new monster closets opening up every time you find a new keycard, was really superior to most of what we have today?

HELL YEAH!

I may have loved running up and down every wall hitting space trying to find secrets when I was 13, but I'm pretty happy to have something that pays attention to plot and pacing now. Yes, CoD does neither, no, not every game is CoD.

Plot = Third rate wanna-be Hollywood garbage.

Pacing = Lets script the shit out of this straight line from point A to point B.

Just drop me into a cleverly designed monster maze, please.

46. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:17 space captain

that was my point

Go forth, and kill!

45. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:06 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on May 9, 2012, 19:58:
You're nuts if you think that graphic looks like most System Shock 2 maps.

Engineering Section 1
Engineering Section 2
Med/Sci Section 1
Med/Sci Section 2

I rest my case.

Technically those are 2 "levels"... not 4.

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo