Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 9, 2012, 22:47 Kitkoan

space captain wrote on May 9, 2012, 22:33:
Kitkoan wrote on May 9, 2012, 21:48:
With market share rising and Apple having an average of 91 days to fix holes, I can see it getting worse, a lot worse.

thats because you dont know how the technology works, or you are using the word "worse" in a different way

unix codebase is way way way more robust than windows, its seasoned and matured over the past 40 some years

in the future there may be many more viruses, but they wont be nearly as effective or nasty as they are on windows

Because OSX was so robust that something like Flashback couldn't have happened and continue to happen?

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 9, 2012, 22:33 space captain

Kitkoan wrote on May 9, 2012, 21:48:
With market share rising and Apple having an average of 91 days to fix holes, I can see it getting worse, a lot worse.

thats because you dont know how the technology works, or you are using the word "worse" in a different way

unix codebase is way way way more robust than windows, its seasoned and matured over the past 40 some years

in the future there may be many more viruses, but they wont be nearly as effective or nasty as they are on windows

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 9, 2012, 21:48 Kitkoan

space captain wrote on May 9, 2012, 20:41:
i seriously doubt viruses for unix based OS will ever get as bad as windows had it

Granted, I also see this combined with the move to opt-in for now of only allowing OSX market apps to install more the signs of Apple locking down OSX so its a console like iOS. Would be an easy sell too with the whole Flashback and worse coming.

"The power and usability you've come to expect from OSX, with the security of iOS." When technology is involved, too many people don't bother thinking out the long term side effects.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 9, 2012, 20:41 space captain

i seriously doubt viruses for unix based OS will ever get as bad as windows had it  
Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 9, 2012, 20:24 Fibrocyte

space captain wrote on May 9, 2012, 20:04:
TurdFergasun wrote on May 9, 2012, 17:43:
not to mention osx can't write to ntfs without a special plugin/extension to first be able to mount and read the drive, then to allow write permissions. but making money on fear is the name of the game so facts can gtfo.

wrong

osx can mount and read NTFS natively

Read natively yes, write natively no. I think that was his point but it was just poorly worded.

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 9, 2012, 20:04 space captain

TurdFergasun wrote on May 9, 2012, 17:43:
not to mention osx can't write to ntfs without a special plugin/extension to first be able to mount and read the drive, then to allow write permissions. but making money on fear is the name of the game so facts can gtfo.

wrong

osx can mount and read NTFS natively

Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 9, 2012, 17:43 TurdFergasun

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 9, 2012, 11:12 wtf_man

Wow... Sophos is kind of full of shit. (The PC Mag article link from the pcper article).

Pretty much Windows malware can NOT be spread from a Mac, unless the malware was also designed for the mac (and to spread it), or you purposely spread it.

I run the free Sophos AV on my Mac, and the only time it goes off is when I download a crack or something for a Windows App. Now, if I purposely / physically move that app to a Windows machine... yes, it could infect it, but OSX isn't just sitting there like a malware bot spreading malware to Windows machines on my network, as the article implies.

Anyway... I usually use the "mostly false positive crack in a virtual machine"... get the results I want and move only the necessary executables or whatever to a real Windows machine, which doesn't trigger any alerts on the windows box... then revert my virtual machine to a snapshot prior to using the crack.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo