Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month

Remedy confirms recent indications of plans for a PC edition of Alan Wake’s American Nightmare, saying thriller sequel is coming to Windows on May 22nd with "high-resolution graphics and enhanced PC features." This is now part of a big promotion:"In celebration of the impending launch, Remedy is offering gamers a motherload of discounts on Alan Wake. Pre-orders of American Nightmare on Steam or GOG will receive 10% off their purchase. For purchasers of the original Alan Wake, an additional 15% off is available! Alan Wake is now part of Steam’s Midweek Madness (only 72 hours!) available at 50% off. This offer is also available on GOG. Alan Wake’s American Nightmare will go on sale in retail shortly after through Nordic Games." Here's word on the game:

Alan Wake’s American Nightmare is a standalone spin-off adventure featuring a thrilling pulp action story mode and an all new “Fight till Dawn” arcade mode. American Nightmare will shine a new light on the world of Wake while appealing to fans and newcomers alike.

The single player campaign comes from the darkest corners of the ‘Night Springs’, a Twilight Zone inspired fiction. American Nightmare is an exaggerated and gritty rendering of that world – where the horrors of reality have the all too easy habit of coming true. When Wake becomes stuck in the alternate shadowed world of Night Springs, he must hunt down his evil double, Mr. Scratch, to find answers. A supernatural serial killer, Scratch is fixated on Wake’s wife, Alice, and even more horribly, Wake’s demise. To survive and thrive in the darkest of nights, Wake must learn to control reality itself and unravel the secrets of Night Springs with a trusty flashlight by his side and whatever weapon he can find.

The brand new “Fight till Dawn” arcade mode places Wake in the battle of his life. Players are tasked with surviving a full night of brutal onslaughts while racking up their score. With a myriad of new enemies to battle, Wake won’t have any trouble since he’ll have plenty of deadly options within his arsenal: old stalwarts like the flare gun, wild new favorites like the nail gun and old school Remedy favorites like the Uzi. Thankfully, safe havens and unlockable weapons litter the landscape, allowing for a momentary respite from the darkness. Surviving until dawn is only the beginning though, as online leaderboards pit friends head-to-head to see who the real champion of light is.

Steam link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/202750

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 10, 2012, 09:55 Quinn

No pagan rituals on Bluesnews!  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 9, 2012, 15:57 Bet

Beelzebud wrote on May 9, 2012, 11:22:
Hmm it's almost like PC gaming isn't dead, and that PC gamers buy games. Whodathunkit?

Maybe now we won't be treated like 2nd class citizens.... ...as much.
Better knock on wood, we're the hated stepchildren of the gaming world. Next time a prettier platform comes along we'll be shoved back into the closet and told we're nothing again.

That is, if we're being regarded as more than a temporary source of bailout income for the time being.

12. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 9, 2012, 12:08 nin

Hmm it's almost like PC gaming isn't dead, and that PC gamers buy games. Whodathunkit?

It's like we've stumbled into Bizarroworld...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 9, 2012, 11:22 Beelzebud

Maybe now we won't be treated like 2nd class citizens.... ...as much.

10. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 9, 2012, 11:04 GarrettTX1

Found this article to be pretty interesting (not certain of the vailidity of it..) from MMGM: PC Gamers Saved The Alan Wake Franchise (excerpts below)
Alan Wake has been a successful adventure for Remedy and PC gamers; in just 48 hours the Finnish developer managed to recoup marketing and development costs, debuted at number one on the Steam charts, and has captivated the long forgotten PC audience. Not bad for a game that launched two years prior as an Xbox 360 exclusive.

Regardless of launch issues and piracy, the title has managed to shift 1.4 million units since launch, which isn't exactly outstanding. Considering a large number of those units would be free download tokens included with Xbox 360 consoles during a Christmas promotion held by Microsoft, it seems that the 360 version of the game was a complete failure when it comes to sales.

Then along comes the PC port two years later, which managed to sell like proverbial hotcakes on a Sunday morning. Despite managing to recoup all marketing and development costs in just 48 hours, less than a month after launch the PC version had sold approximately 600,000 to bump the franchise up to 2 million sales across both platforms.

Considering a lengthy development period of five years, the cost of developing the Xbox 360 version would have been exorbitant. Those 1.4 million sales would have been lucky to break even, no matter how much Microsoft Game Studios subsidised the development process. Yet in just two days, Alan Wake became profitable for the developers on the PC platform. That's definitely something worth taking note of.

So considering the original title sold approximately 1.4 million on the Xbox 360, the adoption rate of this stand-alone title is a mere 3.93%. Considering the recently released Trials: Evolution managed to ship 100,000 units during its first 24 hours, some could consider Alan Wake's American Nightmare a mediocre performer once again from a sales standpoint.

With the announcement that PC gamers will also get their chance to jump head first into the twisted world of American Nightmare in less than two weeks, it will be interesting to see how this one plays out. While Xbox 360 gamers had to wait two years for another taste of Alan Wake, PC aficionados have only had to wait two months.

Alan Wake may have visited the Xbox 360 first, but he found a home on the PC. It is through his new home that Remedy can sleep easy at night, knowing that someone out there is willing to vote with their wallet for more adventures and stories from our favourite novelist.

9. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 9, 2012, 10:13 Overon

The only nightmare in this game is the gameplay. It's boring and repetitive.  

8. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 9, 2012, 08:47 JayDeath

I have this for the 360 but I haven't finished it yet. They added some new weapons but it's more of the same.  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

7. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 9, 2012, 06:39 Mr. Anisotonic

meh, gonna wait to see if they fix the first one. the 3d is quite bad.  

6. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 9, 2012, 06:03 Quinn

In the end I simply didn't like the game. The combat was clunky Alone In The Dark 2008 was better, if only because of its originality.

Alan Wake had 1 enemy type. An extremely liniear story progression and, frankly, I *hardly* understood why it had to take place in such a magnificent environtment. I couldn't enjoy it anyway because of the constant fog and darkness.

I understand people like it, of course. It's almost free of bugs and it's solid. I just didn't like it. At all. They also failed miserably with it being scary.

All in all, Alan Wake left me very cold. Miracle I finished it.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

5. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 9, 2012, 02:04 Beelzebud

I enjoyed the atmosphere and the story, but I really did not like how the combat turned out. Very clunky feeling. I'll be skipping this.  

4. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 9, 2012, 01:41 durandal

Pre-ordered here as well.

I aslo had a mixed feeling about Remedy but I really had fun with Alan Wake.
$11.5 is a nice deal for 4-5 hour additional story.

3. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 9, 2012, 00:09 El Pit

nin wrote on May 8, 2012, 22:20:
That was surprisingly fast.

The original is on sale on steam and I believe amazon, starting at $15.

Much better: the original is on sale on GOG for $14.99 - DRM-FREE!!!
American Nightmare for $13.49 on GOG - again, DRM free!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

2. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 8, 2012, 23:06 theyarecomingforyou

Pre-ordered.

Originally I was hugely against the idea of Remedy bringing it to PC after they had sold out to Microsoft and wasn't going to buy it out of principle. However, to their credit they did a great job with the PC port, included all the DLC and released it at a discounted price. Not only that but this DLC is 10% off if you pre-order, 15% off if you own the main game and the discounts stack - so it was 25% off for me.

I've had a lot of fun playing it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

1. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 8, 2012, 22:20 nin

That was surprisingly fast.

The original is on sale on steam and I believe amazon, starting at $15.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo