Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane

This announcement heralds the release of Warlock - Master of the Arcane. They have details on where to buy the game as well as a reminder about the playable demo on Steam. Here's word on this turn-based strategy game that uses the setting from the Majesty series:

Control one of three different factions, learn dozens of powerful spells and command a vast array of troop types as you set out to make your wizard the one true ruler of Ardania. You must carefully plan your expansion and economy to build and support the armies you create. And don't forget to harvest mana; you will need to cast enchantments on friend and foe alike if you want to defeat your enemies and hold back the hordes of wandering monsters.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 9, 2012, 14:02 Creston

Dev wrote on May 9, 2012, 11:24:
Cutter wrote on May 8, 2012, 16:52:
Tom Chick's Review
Thanks for the review link

Some quotes from it:

In a Civilization game, I would march units into his territory and lay siege to his city. If I brought enough units of the right mix, Iíd prevail. Thatís not how Warlock works. Because when you correctly do a one unit per hex game, the strategic level map is also the tactical playing field. Thatís a whole other kind of war than marching stacks up to city walls and letting your unit mix take over.
[...]
keeps cycling out his wounded units to move forward rested reinforcements. Since when can an AI do that? Since when can an AI move cavalry arond flanks? Since when can AI direct fire where itís most effective? Since when can an AI focus its debuffs on my powerful mages? Since when can an AI mount a defense this competent?

Itís a lovely thing to watch. Here is a game built around tactical combat. And here is an AI opponent that knows how to play the tactical combat. I never saw anything like this in Civilization V, a game whose design was based on the idea of one hex per tile.
[...]
If thereís one thing more lovely than watching an AI mount a competent defense, itís watching the AI treat another AI player the same way it treats you.

Since Galciv 2? But it does sound intriguing. I think I'm gonna just buy this.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 9, 2012, 11:24 Dev

Cutter wrote on May 8, 2012, 16:52:
Tom Chick's Review
Thanks for the review link

Some quotes from it:

In a Civilization game, I would march units into his territory and lay siege to his city. If I brought enough units of the right mix, Iíd prevail. Thatís not how Warlock works. Because when you correctly do a one unit per hex game, the strategic level map is also the tactical playing field. Thatís a whole other kind of war than marching stacks up to city walls and letting your unit mix take over.
[...]
keeps cycling out his wounded units to move forward rested reinforcements. Since when can an AI do that? Since when can an AI move cavalry arond flanks? Since when can AI direct fire where itís most effective? Since when can an AI focus its debuffs on my powerful mages? Since when can an AI mount a defense this competent?

Itís a lovely thing to watch. Here is a game built around tactical combat. And here is an AI opponent that knows how to play the tactical combat. I never saw anything like this in Civilization V, a game whose design was based on the idea of one hex per tile.
[...]
If thereís one thing more lovely than watching an AI mount a competent defense, itís watching the AI treat another AI player the same way it treats you.

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 9, 2012, 10:12 Angrius Maximis

This game is about as fun as watching paint dry.

Dominions 3 for me. This was like a cheap ass Civ 5 mod and it stinks

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 9, 2012, 06:42 Zadig

I tried the steam demo a couple times and it always hung on a black screen during startup.  

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 9, 2012, 00:20 MisterBenn

ASeven wrote on May 8, 2012, 20:17:
In all seriousness I'm absolutely surprised at how much I'm loving the game, more than I did CivV that's for sure even though this game is far, far more focused in war.

I feel the same. The tactical feeling of Civ5 made me feel like it wasn't doing justice to a planet sim played across a few thousand years. In this you have a feeling of a province or continent played out over a century or two, it works a lot better to me.

That was about a 6 hour session, I'm taking a break! I am really loving it so far. I haven't felt such a compulsion to play a 4x in a long time. It's great that the wilderness is so dangerous, if you are trying to outgrow your rivals then you have to choose where you can expand because it takes a concerted effort and you can only place your resources in so many places. I love that there's a big difference between the tiers of units, taking down a greater fire elemental takes a combined assault with the earliest units you get and when a higher tier unit comes into view the balance shifts a great deal.

Also there's more depth to the magic system than I thought. The spells to research do come up randomly but there are arcane spells and divine. Arcane seems to have a general set of spells, the divine spells all have prerequisite favour levels with one of the eight gods. They are themed according to the god they belong to and seem to be much more mana-efficient than arcane counterparts if you can get them so it seems viable to get these via land grabbing holy sites rather that building lots of mana nodes everywhere.

On the downsides, the diplomacy is pretty much unfinished from what I can see. I'm playing a large map on Challenging level, and all 3 opponents I met just made demands where it's may tribute or war. I've been at war with all of them for 20-50 turns but they've barely attacked yet, certainly nothing coordinated. I suspect they have the same issues as me with the ferocious wilderness creatures. I've seen neutrals attack in groups so it must be possible somehow but this map is quite snaky and I don't have a wide open border with any of them so perhaps that's why. There hasn't been any trading in this game and I can't even see if diplomatic states actually exist between other rival players so it makes this game play like a pure wargame based on my first campaign.

Also related to this is the level of challenge. The main challenge is cutting a swathe through the wilderness to settle it rather than the other great mages. It seems like it's going to be possible to play undisturbed by attacks until you have an unstoppable force organised then you can sweep the map. Speaking of which, I just unlocked the Ancient Lich in one of my cities only to learn that it costs 700 gold! My empire's set up for mana and I have a tiny gold income with no reserves. I'm looking at the info screen for this beast and drooling.

Anyway in short I am having great fun despite a couple of niggly things, I think this game has fantastic potential if they keep investing in it.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 23:05 Alamar

ASeven wrote on May 8, 2012, 20:17:
Cutter wrote on May 8, 2012, 20:01:
ASeven wrote on May 8, 2012, 17:23:
It has Donkey cavalry and Skeleton Settlers.

Donkey...Cavalry....

SOLD!

So while each one is wonderful in and of itself, combined it makes it that much better? Much like chocolate and peanut butter?

Who doesn't want to lead a donkey cavalry charge and then have skeletons settle on the aftermath of that charge?

In all seriousness I'm absolutely surprised at how much I'm loving the game, more than I did CivV that's for sure even though this game is far, far more focused in war.

I just finished (won) a small world match, and the Donkey Cavalry rocked the casbah... Helped that I had melee/ranged/regen buffs, armor/damage/other-damage buffs... I think the unit is base 20 or so damage, but my guys were 37, with 130/100 melee/ranged defense (and some smaller other types)... At the end, I just ripped through everything with these guys (3 of em) and one vampire, one werewolf, and some warriors with buffed defenses : )

-Alamar

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 22:47 Creston

It has Donkey cavalry

Donkey...Cavalry....

"CHARGE!"
*donkey whinies and refuses to move*
"Ay Caramba! MALDITO BURRITO!!!"

/just replayed RDR; five more guys on donkeys crushed beneath my war horse.

Creston

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 21:20 Keith

I really liked the Age of Wonders series and this looked to be a similar title. So I tried the demo on Steam. I played through the demo and towards the end of conquering the map, I realized I just wasn't having fun. Some of the ideas were pretty cool, like the city-defense towers, but the combat was extremely basic and the city building was just a turn grind. Pass on this one for me.  

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 20:17 ASeven

Cutter wrote on May 8, 2012, 20:01:

Donkey...Cavalry....

SOLD!

So while each one is wonderful in and of itself, combined it makes it that much better? Much like chocolate and peanut butter?

Who doesn't want to lead a donkey cavalry charge and then have skeletons settle on the aftermath of that charge?

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 20:01 Cutter

Donkey...Cavalry....

SOLD!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 18:43 Prez

I really enjoyed Majesty and Majesty 2. Game on my Steam wishlist.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 18:32 JaguarUSF

My review  

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 18:31 Darks

I was on the beta for this game and got it for free. gotta love it.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 17:23 ASeven

Donkey...Cavalry....

SOLD!

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 17:08 jacobvandy

Dev wrote on May 8, 2012, 16:53:
avianflu wrote on May 8, 2012, 15:45:
amazon has it for 2 bucks off.
Yes, but is it a steamworks game? I want to be able to buy it and add to my steam account.

Yes it is, says GamersGate.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 17:07 MisterBenn

skyguy wrote on May 8, 2012, 15:24:
Warlock is clearly a Fall from Heaven 2 clone. No one here ever played Fall from Heaven 2?

Yeah I played quite a bit of that back in the day!

I had great fun with the demo of this and preordered. The 1UPT hex combat with the damage types, buffs and magic spells really works well on the Civ 5 engine, even better than it did for Civ 5 itself. From the demo I really felt they'd struck a magic balance between keeping individual decisions to being straightforward while allowing you to build up your cities and magic according to different strategies. I am just loading up the full game and taking a session now

Yes, mutiplayer is a planned update. From the design of the game I suspect only live multiplayer would work, there seems to be no provision for simultaneous turn or PBW or anything like that. Having said that the smaller maps would play very well as multiplayer and with all the magic flying around I think the balance of fights could shift around rapidly and it could be fantastic.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 16:53 Dev

avianflu wrote on May 8, 2012, 15:45:
amazon has it for 2 bucks off.
Yes, but is it a steamworks game? I want to be able to buy it and add to my steam account.

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 16:52 Cutter

Tom Chick's Review

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 16:00 Xirix

Fun game indeed.  

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 15:49 Cutter

Just shut up and buy it already!