Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Gamasutra - How long before the Kickstarter bubble bursts?
We are still in the early days of our Kickstarter relationship, the early days of falling in love. Everything our partner does is wonderful. We gloss over the risks, we ignore the downsides, because the glory of falling in love is everything.

I think we have about six months left of that period. Towards the end of this year, some Kickstarter projects are going to start slipping. Some will see their teams collapse amidst bicker recriminations. Some pledgers are going to start getting very angry.

View
75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

75. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2012, 13:45 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerykk wrote on May 9, 2012, 01:59:
The fact that they're also releasing this for Vita is the reason I didn't donate. Console development is expensive, especially when you don't have a publisher. In fact, can you even release a game on Vita without a publisher? Highly questionable stuff.

Then there's the fact that the Vita and PC have completely different control schemes and hardware capabilities. If other multiplatform development is any indication, the game will be designed for Vita and then ported to PC. I'm not kickstarting a port.

My thoughts exactly. The game sounds like it could be cool, but I have no confidence in them being able to deliver a good PC experience and I couldn't care less about Vita.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

74. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2012, 00:02 Creston

Eberron wrote on May 8, 2012, 22:15:
If there is a 'bubble' of too much cash going to Kickstarters that will eventually 'burst' then why are so few titles being funded? Add all of the Kickstarter has given so far and it doesn't even come close to the budget of a single 'AAA' title.

Take Starlight as an example. All you naysayers who do not contribute to this game right now with the last two hours to go are preventing them from making this game. You cannot preorder a game that isn't going to be developed at all.

Everyone please go here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm

Please order this game for $15. If it comes out and you don't want it then fine, sell your copy before it's activated. If games like this can't get funded at such a meager asking price then how can there be a 'bubble' of funds overflowing developers?

There are alot of people here who read these comments so this will be my good deed of the day in support of the 'there is no bubble or fountain of free money from Kickstarter' cause. They have an hour left and are at 91% of their 150K goal!

The reason I didn't put any money into that is that I have no faith whatsoever that they can make that kind of game for 150K. Ergo, it's a project that's dead before it ever started, so it's like setting your money on fire.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong, and I'll buy the game full price at that point. But I'm extremely skeptical about them ever making anything playable.

Creston

73. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2012, 08:52 nin

Wow, they actually managed to go 8K over...

Still very skeptical though.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

72. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2012, 01:59 Jerykk

The fact that they're also releasing this for Vita is the reason I didn't donate. Console development is expensive, especially when you don't have a publisher. In fact, can you even release a game on Vita without a publisher? Highly questionable stuff.

Then there's the fact that the Vita and PC have completely different control schemes and hardware capabilities. If other multiplatform development is any indication, the game will be designed for Vita and then ported to PC. I'm not kickstarting a port.

71. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2012, 00:50 Prez

Draugr wrote on May 8, 2012, 23:56:
nin wrote on May 8, 2012, 23:21:
Like I said when it launched, I hate to slam it, because it's not like we have a lot of space fighter game options, but 150K for a combined pc/vita delivery sounds questionable.

It's even less when you consider KS gets a cut of that.
Which is why between that and all the mentioning of DLC, it seems to me that the game you'll get for helping fund will be pretty small, and then they hope to roll out content/make money from DLC.

To me, the term kickstarter implies these are just start-up funds. While in many instances the money donated to a project will more than cover the entire development, a kickstarter project works just as well if reaching it's target means it has enough to get off the ground and catch the eye of a publisher who may be willing to fund it the rest of the way. Of course, the obvious downside is that this opens the door to publisher meddling, which is in large part what kickstarters are meant to circumvent in the first place. Still, not all publishers are like EA, so it wouldn't necessarily be the end of a good thing.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

70. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 23:56 Draugr

nin wrote on May 8, 2012, 23:21:
Like I said when it launched, I hate to slam it, because it's not like we have a lot of space fighter game options, but 150K for a combined pc/vita delivery sounds questionable.

It's even less when you consider KS gets a cut of that.
Which is why between that and all the mentioning of DLC, it seems to me that the game you'll get for helping fund will be pretty small, and then they hope to roll out content/make money from DLC.

69. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 23:21 nin

Sepharo wrote on May 8, 2012, 23:08:
nin wrote on May 8, 2012, 22:52:
Wow, 7K away and 55 minutes. What's it gonna be?

Brings up an interesting bit of "fraud" I hadn't really considered... What's to stop the creator from just making up the difference? And if he does, did he really accomplish his funding target? Would you want your money going to a game that didn't technically succeed in reaching it's funding goal... You wouldn't have been charged otherwise.

With 2K to go, I wondered the exact same thing.

edit: And they made it, with 24 minutes to spare.

68. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 23:08 Sepharo

nin wrote on May 8, 2012, 22:52:

Brings up an interesting bit of "fraud" I hadn't really considered... What's to stop the creator from just making up the difference? And if he does, did he really accomplish his funding target? Would you want your money going to a game that didn't technically succeed in reaching it's funding goal... You wouldn't have been charged otherwise.

67. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 22:52 nin

If there is a 'bubble' of too much cash going to Kickstarters that will eventually 'burst' then why are so few titles being funded? Add all of the Kickstarter has given so far and it doesn't even come close to the budget of a single 'AAA' title.

Take Starlight as an example. All you naysayers who do not contribute to this game right now with the last two hours to go are preventing them from making this game. You cannot preorder a game that isn't going to be developed at all.

Everyone please go here:

Please order this game for $15. If it comes out and you don't want it then fine, sell your copy before it's activated. If games like this can't get funded at such a meager asking price then how can there be a 'bubble' of funds overflowing developers?

There are alot of people here who read these comments so this will be my good deed of the day in support of the 'there is no bubble or fountain of free money from Kickstarter' cause. They have an hour left and are at 91% of their 150K goal!

66. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 22:51 Draugr

Everyone please go here:

Good. I like the genre but I don't have much faith in what these people are trying to accomplish, I'd go over why, but I feel like it's been covered plenty.
I will say though for me, is it came across as a vita title, and the only reason it was coming to PC is because if they didn't open it up for PC then they wouldn't be able to fund it. All the talk about DLC also says to me they are way to concerned about how they are going to cash in on it. This is in contrast to say Wasteland 2, where Brian Fargo was ready to toss in boatloads of his own money for it to happen, yet I didn't have to hear a peep about how he was going to try and get more money from me later,(using the tools/engine, etc. I helped fund!)

65. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 22:44 shinchan0s

Eberron wrote on May 8, 2012, 15:29:
Starflight? I would love to see a remake.

Starlight Inception? I think people were turned off by the fact it is a PSP Vita title.

(Also I like Order of the Stick, and I do have bad taste. So what?)

You know what? You're right. Order of the Stick is actually an ok webcomic (it's been around forever). I guess I can't wrap my head around over a million dollars going to something like that.

64. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 22:36 Creston

Prez wrote on May 8, 2012, 14:33:
Creston wrote on May 8, 2012, 14:29:
Prez wrote on May 8, 2012, 14:23:
Joking aside, who wouldn't want another REAL Bioware game? As in Baldur's Gate 3, not Dragon Age 2. Kickstarters make that a real possibility - enough Bioware employees (former and current) get tired of denying the obvious fact the EA has all but destroyed the Bioware brand and start their own project. I would love to see it myself.

It'd take a systemic amount of failures to deliver before I lose hope in the entire system.

For you, me, and I'd wager a whole lot of other people.

Isn't that being talked about? I'm sure I've seen the BG3 name pop up here and there in the last few weeks.

Creston

I think it was now that you mentioned it, but I don't know if it was by the right people (the original designers or dev's who share their vision). It would have to be a spiritual successor I'm sure, but so long as it is a true sequel, it will hardly matter. As long as there is an alternate route for people who don't want to live in Beamer's gaming utopia where clueless suits dictate to the very masses they disdain what they can and can't have, I want to be a part of it.

I think the Beamdog guys (who are doing the BG remake) were talking about it. I'd look it up, but it's late and I'm lazy.

Creston

63. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 22:15 Eberron

Everyone please go here:

62. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 20:10 Cutter

ASeven wrote on May 8, 2012, 19:39:
PropheT wrote on May 8, 2012, 18:23:
Cutter wrote on May 8, 2012, 15:58:
What bubble? There is no bubble. Clearly the author doesn't understand the concept of crowd-sourcing and why people like it. This isn't an investment strategy.

We'll see about that when one of these developers either fails to produce a decent game as a result of their kickstarter, or worse, fails to produce a game at all. Both are scenarios that are more or less guaranteed to happen eventually.

What will happen is that the people who bought that will be sorely disappointed, KS projects will go on, people will still support KS projects based on their own assertions. Crowdfunding is a new economic phenomenon not yet fully understood by economists, to claim it has a bubble is way too ridiculous, especially since with crowdfunding projects are independent of each other and the failure of one does not necessarily means the failure of another.

Once the dust settles I see people still supporting KS projects but the amount of projects that do get funded will decrease with time, as people either don't feel attracted to the projects or other, better crowdfunding business models appear.

Exactly. A lot of people out there prefer to support small business and losing $10 or $20 here or there isn't going to change that. We're soon in for a fundanmental shift in how we live and do business in the first world as see the drawdown and end of cheap oil. Over the leasr several decades we've seen that, slow, graducal shift - which will not only continue but increase- toward an entirely different way of living. Sustainable, renewable, fair, these are all things that are going to be essential if the species to survive, much less thrive. The Walmarts of the world won't dissapear anytime soon but their days are definitely numbered.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

61. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 19:39 ASeven

PropheT wrote on May 8, 2012, 18:23:
What bubble? There is no bubble. Clearly the author doesn't understand the concept of crowd-sourcing and why people like it. This isn't an investment strategy.

We'll see about that when one of these developers either fails to produce a decent game as a result of their kickstarter, or worse, fails to produce a game at all. Both are scenarios that are more or less guaranteed to happen eventually.

What will happen is that the people who bought that will be sorely disappointed, KS projects will go on, people will still support KS projects based on their own assertions. Crowdfunding is a new economic phenomenon not yet fully understood by economists, to claim it has a bubble is way too ridiculous, especially since with crowdfunding projects are independent of each other and the failure of one does not necessarily means the failure of another.

Once the dust settles I see people still supporting KS projects but the amount of projects that do get funded will decrease with time, as people either don't feel attracted to the projects or other, better crowdfunding business models appear.

60. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 18:57 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on May 8, 2012, 14:33:
Tumbler wrote on May 8, 2012, 14:24:
Too much stupid shit that has no chance of ever coming to fruition or living up to promises keeps getting kickstarted made by big publishers.

Two sides of a coin I guess, your comments seem to paint the gaming industry perfectly and I see Kickstarter as the complete opposite. A lot of stuff that the gaming industry seems to salivate over gets passed over or barely makes it on kickstarter, FPS's, and the ideas and games that the industry scoffs at, Wasteland 2, Double Fine Adventure game, gets a tidal wave of support.

The difference, Tumblr, is that when the publisher releases something stupid you do not buy it. When a game ships buggy you do not buy it. When a game gets canceled because it sucks or the developer goes out of business you do not pay for it.
With Kickstarter you do.

Wrong. In fact, EVERY gamer pays for a "AAA blockbuster" that fails. The difference is that you don't even know you are paying for it. When SonyEActivision has a poor selling game, they roll the losses over into another project. The resources (and staff) for other games get cut. The prices get jacked up, or the free DLC suddenly gets a price tag.

It's rather clever of you to try and obfuscate the nature of a large publisher by treating them as if they had each individual game segregated away from the others, but that is NOT the case. When a mainstream published game tanks, the publishers make up for it through the consumer... usually through a completely different game.

The idea that kickstarter is the only situation where gamers pay for rotten games is disingenuous at best. Kickstarter just can't hide it on the "books" somewhere, like SonyEActivision can...

59. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 18:23 PropheT

58. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 17:05 Beamer

PHJF wrote on May 8, 2012, 16:20:
This isn't an investment strategy.

It is so the developers who are jumping all over kickstarting.

I think those of us that think there will be some backlash know people don't see it as an investment strategy. People expect there to be risk in investments.

We're concerned about the people that see this is a buying strategy. People do not expect as much risk in buying. When people order a product and have the company go bankrupt before it ships they tend to go irate.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

57. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 16:20 PHJF

This isn't an investment strategy.

It is to the developers who are jumping all over kickstarting.

This comment was edited on May 8, 2012, 17:25.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

56. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 15:58 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo